Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have to drive through a gravel pile turning down my road every time I come home. Today I got on my scoot with a broom and took care of the gravel pile. Today was a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Tankslapper on the highway today. Hit a really unfortunate series of ripples/potholes/bumps with only one hand on the bar (was adjusting back protector). Pinched my hand between the tank and grip, and one of the headlight bolts backed almost the whole way out. Didn't crash. Pretty wild.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

M42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRGW3EaBxU

Doesn't look like much on video, but it was pretty wild. My buddy in front saw me in his mirrors and was certain I'd crash.

I had something like this happen to me last night while driving on the 580 in the bay. Boy did my rear end in a top hat clenched after that...

Also i saw a pasty white nerdy dude in a pickup-truck full of motorcycles and a trailer with motorcycles. I'm just going to assume i had my first in-the-wild sighting of Z3N.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

M42 posted:

Tankslapper on the highway today. Hit a really unfortunate series of ripples/potholes/bumps with only one hand on the bar (was adjusting back protector). Pinched my hand between the tank and grip, and one of the headlight bolts backed almost the whole way out. Didn't crash. Pretty wild.

Holy crap. Were you able to get this on camera? How the hell did it manage to loosen up a headlight bolt?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Unfortunately no, my gopro wasn't running :\ I really wish I had it on camera.

I have a really crappy headlight/gauge assembly at the moment, it doesn't fit together tightly. It shook a nut inside the headlight off its bolt, somehow. Had to reassemble it at a gas station.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

You should get the suspension set up for you

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Massive moment on the way to work. Took a turn I always take (slow in second gear) and the front washed out massively. I was sure I was going to lowside, but kept the power on and managed to pull through. Not sure why it happened, I was going at the same speed I always have at that corner. Maybe the road was a bit damp/icy from the morning. Anyway, I now have no chicken strips on one side of my bike (both front and rear)...

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I just had a near collision this morning. Partially my fault. I was commuting to work and was coming to an intersection where I had right of way (no control devices for me) and the crossing street had a stop sign. There was a car stopped on the crossing street to my left. I slowed to make a left turn onto the street and the driver chose that moment to launch the car into the intersection to make a left turn onto my street. He stopped right at my left side but not before I swung wide right to prevent him hitting me. My fault in assuming he saw me and in not using a turn signal. His fault in violating right of way without looking. He would have hit me whether I was turning or not unless I had evaded him. This is a quiet suburban road with one lane in each direction with no other traffic. I'm riding a loud thumper. I just got complacent both about anticipating driver reactions and in using the turn signal. Speed was not a factor. I was going 25 mph on the road and had slowed to 10 mph before the near collision.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I finally got to ride a road that has brand new tar snakes going with the way of the road and so numerous that it is difficult to avoid them. The front end was all over the loving place on that section, bigtime pucker factor.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Good way to realize that tar snakes aren't that big a deal.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Unless your tyres are squared off or underinflated - there's a little stretch of road just before I get home that is basically 100% repairs that is really useful for giving me a quick tyre health check.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Z3n posted:

They're really not. Pavement that's just been grinded is worse (annoying).

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I had a bit of a moment a few weeks ago when a road crew put down 50 feet of metal plate. It was at night and in the rain for extra fun. Nothing happened since I avoided any inputs, but I'll take tar snakes any day over another wet steel adventure on knobbies.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Z3n posted:

Unless they're brand new tar anacondas 12" wide sitting a third of the way up an interstate on-ramp so your back tire spins up like a loving warp drive when you're accelerating and you unexpectedly yaw a few degrees into an immediate 11:00 wheelie pointed somewhere in the loving horizon. Glorious.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

wallaka posted:

Unless they're brand new tar anacondas 12" wide sitting a third of the way up an interstate on-ramp so your back tire spins up like a loving warp drive when you're accelerating and you unexpectedly yaw a few degrees into an immediate 11:00 wheelie pointed somewhere in the loving horizon. Glorious.

That sounds like a good start to a good day.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
The other day I was doing a nice two hour loop up towards Sebago Lake and beyond in Maine and on my way home I decided to go down a random road that turned into around five twisty miles of freshly placed loose gravel while they resurfaced the road. The guy on the cruiser coming the opposite way waving like an idiot at me would have been a nice warning had I thought more of it saw the gravel sign and put the two things together. Normally I catch those roads after the gravel has been compacted a little bit by cars for a few days and that's nothing. But this was freshly placed stuff probably from that morning. That was a pretty good day. Tar snakes are nothing.

advion fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 15, 2015

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Christ, I am not having much luck. Was commuting home on a one way road and a driver decided that she would go down my road going to wrong way as a short cut to another road. She was ahead of me on a side road and I expected her to enter my road going in the same direction. Instead she turned to drive down the narrow road in my direction going the wrong way. I had to pull all the way to the right to let her by. Not only didn't she care about the direction of travel she sure didn't care that there was a motorcycle in her way.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Yuns posted:

Christ, I am not having much luck. Was commuting home on a one way road and a driver decided that she would go down my road going to wrong way as a short cut to another road. She was ahead of me on a side road and I expected her to enter my road going in the same direction. Instead she turned to drive down the narrow road in my direction going the wrong way. I had to pull all the way to the right to let her by. Not only didn't she care about the direction of travel she sure didn't care that there was a motorcycle in her way.

It's a shame you don't live in a state where you can legally execute people for any perceived slight against you.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Florida?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Just saw someone get tboned in Oakland ca, guy was on front me, goes on greenlight, prius kept on going on the red and they colided. Prius is at fault and I'm staying here until the police gets here, poor harley...

Edit Guy is fine, limping a bit but fine. Girl is panicking a bit.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 21, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I was riding on deep gravel today at ~35 when I came round a bend and some kind soul had left a chopped tree in the middle of the trail. It wasn't too big (I stopped after and it was as big as my hand, so 8" diameter), and I had time to swerve around it. But I didn't. Instead I target-fixated like a tiny baby on mama's sweet, sweet breasts. Mmmmmm, breasts was what I must have been thinking.

I was 600% sure I was going down but I managed to not panic and let the bike hop around underneath me as it drove over the logs.

At least I didn't hit them on the way back, but it was pretty surprising to see how spending a bunch of mental energy focusing on one thing (I was going a little fast and deep gravel is still tough for me) made me regress so much in another.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Next time try and float the front wheel over it with a baby wheelie and hammer the gas as the rear wheel hits it, and it'll be a non-issue.

Practice it a bit on straight roads you're comfortable with, that's a pretty critical offroad skill.

advion
Jul 25, 2005
When a friend of mine was trying to teach his girlfriend different things he mounted a 4x4 onto a piece of plywood and had her ride over it a few times on a dirtbike. Seemed kind of handy.

Edit - I should add that it was a long piece of plywood it was attached to and he parked his four wheeler on one end of it a few feet away so it wouldn't slide around.

advion fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 26, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Any kind of practice like that is a good idea. You'd be surprised the debris that you survive so long as you hit it right. Branches/beams you want to try to hit head on and like z3n said, you want the front wheel light so a bit of gas is a good idea even tho it seems wrong. The bike wants to stay upright, it's usually you or me or any other rider giving it a wrong input and assisting the crash.

Gassing it saved my rear end once and I can't even take credit, it was all luck. I was headed down a gravel road to a campsite in VA after a long rear end day of riding and I was tired as hell. Standing on the pegs with the bike loaded full of gear, I came to a turn where the gravel was deeper than normal. My front dug in and tucked and I very nearly had a bad day less than a mile from the end of the ride. Not skill tho, just luck, I goosed the throttle when that happened and it was enough to pick up the front a bit and push thru the deep gravel but I still got it stopped before going off the outside of the turn.

I basically tip toed it the rest of the way to the campsite.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
My MSF even had us ride over small planks and stuff as part of learning.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Z3n posted:

Next time try and float the front wheel over it with a baby wheelie and hammer the gas as the rear wheel hits it, and it'll be a non-issue.

Practice it a bit on straight roads you're comfortable with, that's a pretty critical offroad skill.

I completely agree that's an important skill, but I think my mistake was more like 1. going fast enough that I didn't have any brain function left, 2. target fixation as a result and 3. doing 1 when I hadn't ridden the area before which is really just dumb. When it came to the actual getting over the logs I did give it a little extra gas and while more would certainly have been better, I think the real problem was 1,2,3 above. It was certainly a learning experience either way!

nsaP posted:

The bike wants to stay upright, it's usually you or me or any other rider giving it a wrong input and assisting the crash.

This is excellent advice and something I try to think about whenever I'm riding and it's stood me in pretty good stead. The bike wants to stay up in a straight line. I should only do things when I want it to do something different. Here was actually a good example - when I realized I was going to hit the logs, I tried to just let the bike go straight over them and not give any steering inputs (I still thought they'd move around from the impact in the gravel and the front would wash out and I would die) and it ended up working out pretty well actually.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

builds character posted:

I completely agree that's an important skill, but I think my mistake was more like 1. going fast enough that I didn't have any brain function left, 2. target fixation as a result and 3. doing 1 when I hadn't ridden the area before which is really just dumb. When it came to the actual getting over the logs I did give it a little extra gas and while more would certainly have been better, I think the real problem was 1,2,3 above. It was certainly a learning experience either way!

Well, one of the reasons we recommend practice is to ingrain the right reaction no matter - all of those things are probably gonna be factors anytime you're in a panic situation, and if you need to brake or swerve or anything else you're going to need to make sure that muscle memory is set. I've had similar experiences riding off-road and thanks to a bunch of practice, even when I'm tired and out of it, my reactions are still generally right.

Good job handling it without crashing, though :)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Z3n posted:

Well, one of the reasons we recommend practice is to ingrain the right reaction no matter - all of those things are probably gonna be factors anytime you're in a panic situation, and if you need to brake or swerve or anything else you're going to need to make sure that muscle memory is set. I've had similar experiences riding off-road and thanks to a bunch of practice, even when I'm tired and out of it, my reactions are still generally right.

Good job handling it without crashing, though :)

Yeah, I clearly need to practice more. :getin:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

builds character posted:

breasts was what I must have been thinking.

BC has epiphany and establishes true root cause for 92% of all motorcycle accidents.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Almost all of my near-crash related incidents have been almost rear ending someone while staring at sidewalk boobs so I think this theory holds true.

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008
I envy you people that commute in a real city. We don't have sidewalks around here :(

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Almost all of my near-crash related incidents have been almost rear ending someone while staring at sidewalk boobs so I think this theory holds true.

I had this problem in a car, not on my bike.

At least my motorcycle makes me more progressive. The tinted visor hides my objectifying male gaze.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Chichevache posted:

I had this problem in a car, not on my bike.

At least my motorcycle makes me more progressive. The tinted visor hides my objectifying male gaze.

Race condition exists between preservation and replication circuits. Alert the design team.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Chichevache posted:

A sad truth.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Marv Hushman posted:

Race condition exists between preservation and replication circuits. Alert the design team.

*throws design flaw documentation into an unfeeling world, cries*

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Marv Hushman posted:

"We have replicated the issue and found that over 83% cases there is enough throughput to exceed homeostasis. We recommend that no action should be taken."

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Welp, just had my first overconfident idiot crash near miss on the way in to work this morning. :buddy:

Coming up to a clear roundabout too fast (which is to say, 40 in a 40, but not slowing down early enough), with maybe 30-40 yards left I spot an SUV entering from my right. I'd just started braking when I saw it so was off the throttle, clutch out, little bit of back and front and then realising that hitting the give way line at 20 wasn't going to be good enough.

Anyway I guess I must have mashed the back brake a little bit in surprise, because while I don't recall giving it as much as I have in past emergency braking situations, the rear started fishtailing. Think I got about two and a half full oscillations in before it stopped, ended up stopping the bike upright and halfway over the line.

I didn't get hit, nobody got mad, and the whole experience was much less butt puckering than I'd imagined a skid would be.

Conclusion: I want to learn how to do this on purpose :cripes:

Responsible conclusion: I'm not psychic, and riding the same 5 mile route 100 times doesn't mean I can get complacent.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

Responsible conclusion: I'm not psychic, and riding the same 5 mile route 100 times doesn't mean I can get complacent.

Yuuup. That's how I ended up in a hospital bed, doing the same commute I do every day and forgetting about a median.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Commute today and back from Seattle to Bellevue across the I-90 bridge in the rain was an absolute pucker. I'm not yet very experienced with rain riding - fishtailed twice doing lane changes over painted lines on the way there. On the way back, the perpendicular wind over the bridge was blowing so strong I was white-knuckling it hoping to not fall over going 70. I reviewed the footage from my helmet cam and I can see getting onto the bridge it looks like I have to do the goddamn Cabbage Patch to stay upright the whole time.

Bus for me on lovely weather days until I learn to be one with the bike a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

White knuckling is the worst thing you could have done. Relax and it's easy.

• Locked thread