Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

El Scotch posted:

It's still too hot out, b'ys.

It's cold in Ontario give us our heat back it's all we get before we're under 3 feet of snow again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Mightaswell posted:

Airdrie AI crew checking in.

Think this thunderstorm slated for tonight will obliterate what remains of those unrepaired hail damaged houses from last year's storm?

It's loving shameful how much of that red 'sealing' tape I still see all over town covering hall damaged siding. Roofing crews worked allllll winter whenever they could, still not done. Poor bastards.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The heat. I love it.

Been lucky with no real hailstorms yet, but the summer is still young. I still see homes in Cardston with damage and cars on the road that have absolutely obliterated bodies but not economical to repair.

So, question to ask you. Where do "high end" used car dealers like this:
http://www.integritywheels.ca/
get their inventory?

I drive by them daily and while they have some regular stuff, the also get some rare, low production/low mileage cars. They are not picking up cars like a Firehawk or a GT500 at auction, are they?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

slidebite posted:

I drive by them daily and while they have some regular stuff, the also get some rare, low production/low mileage cars. They are not picking up cars like a Firehawk or a GT500 at auction, are they?

There's a dealer like that here, I think they have a matte black Murcielago right now. I always figured they were bringing them from auctions in the states.

It's been hazy as poo poo here the past couple of days from all the forest fires in Saskatchewan.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Googled the VIN on the firehawk
http://www.integritywheels.ca/inventory/Used-2001-Pontiac-Trans-Am/278206

Found it here:
http://arkonn.ca/arkonn/vdp/2001-Pontiac-Firebird-2G2FV32G112142983-194309

Either they are trying to make some serious $$ on it or they bought it from someone who did.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Which one of you glorious bastards did this?
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/calgary-police-looking-into-balloon-stunt-over-stampede-grounds-1.2455502

quote:

Calgary residents were stunned when a person appearing to be seated in a lawn chair suspended by dozens of balloons floated up and over the Stampede grounds.

Twitter users captured the strange sight, posting images of it on social media.

Calgary police said they're still looking into the incident, but said the person landed safely near the Ramsay neighbourhood.

Police are calling the incident a stunt, and hope to talk to the person involved.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It's cool out again. :toot:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Half of BC is on fire, the sky is orange and everything smells like a campfire. It's so bad you can see the smoke from space

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Yep. Same with Northern Alberta/Sask. Its really bad. My parents in Manitoba have had days my mom hasn't been able to go outside because her asthma gets wrecked by the smoke. Its brutal.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MustardFacial posted:

Half of BC is on fire, the sky is orange and everything smells like a campfire. It's so bad you can see the smoke from space

Summer_Western_Canada.jpg
The only reason it's being covered as much as it is in the lower mainland is because the winds are blowing the smoke that way for once. Typically it's mostly NE BC, Alberta/Sask/MB choking because of the west winds.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Visibilty was less than a half mile on Saturday where I was in the Prince Albert area.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

slidebite posted:

Summer_Western_Canada.jpg
The only reason it's being covered as much as it is in the lower mainland is because the winds are blowing the smoke that way for once. Typically it's mostly NE BC, Alberta/Sask/MB choking because of the west winds.

I'll admit, living in the Lower Mainland does shelter you from a lot of the bullshit the rest of the country suffers from. It's one of the benefits of being surrounded by mountains on 2 sides and an ocean on the 3rd.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I hear ya. I lived there for many years in the 90s (North Burnaby) and it certainly has it's positives.

Here is another satellite photo. A large area NWT, Northern Sask/NE Alberta is getting hit pretty hard.

Only 3 months to go!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thought some of you guys might like to see these.

My work took me into the Crowsnest Pass/Waterton area today and I brought my Phantom 2 Vision+ quad in case I had a few minutes to kill. And I did! :buddy:

A few photos of the Frank Slide area.

And Castle Recreation area. This is the area immediately north of Waterton Lakes/South & Southwest of Pincher Creek. About 15KM or so east of Beaver Mines if you are familiar with the area.

Photos are quite a bit downsized for posting so the quality suffered a bit.

I put a couple of not-quite-right props in my drone so they appear in view more than they should.

The smoke in the air, while not thick by any stretch, was enough to interfere with the viewability distance. Normally it's a stunning area to photograph with the mountains and foothills spreading out as far as the eye can see. You can make out me and the truck at the last of each 3 photos set.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
That's awesome!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

DrakeriderCa posted:

That's awesome!

Seconding this! That's fantastic - you're really making it hard for me to not get into FPV drone ownership. Oh hey, I'm pricing out Fat Shark Headsets right now.

Unrelated note: Edmonton International Raceway has Stacker car racing (just like top gear) tomorrow along with a host of other disciples. Gates open at 1600 - racing starts at 1730. I'm checking right now if I can go (future in laws are in town).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man drone photography is pretty sweet.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

DrakeriderCa posted:

That's awesome!

Thirding. Great photos - I know nothing about drones, what camera is it carrying?

Hmm... please tell me more about this race event. I haven't decided what to do with tomorrow yet, it's more-or-less a day off. I can sleep in, but there are some work-related errands to run. The evening is free.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Hmm... please tell me more about this race event. I haven't decided what to do with tomorrow yet, it's more-or-less a day off. I can sleep in, but there are some work-related errands to run. The evening is free.

Edmonton International Raceway (Technically in Wetaskiwin) - http://www.edmontonraceway.com/

Every Saturday they have races going on - it's a paved oval. So the following disciplines run:

As per their website: "NASCAR Super Stocks Double Feature, NASCAR Thunder Cars, Feature Stocks & Modifieds & THE STACKERS!"

I've been out a few times last year and it's a blast. Hasn't worked out this year unfortunately. Maybe tomorrow.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

McTinkerson posted:

Edmonton International Raceway (Technically in Wetaskiwin) - http://www.edmontonraceway.com/

Every Saturday they have races going on - it's a paved oval. So the following disciplines run:

As per their website: "NASCAR Super Stocks Double Feature, NASCAR Thunder Cars, Feature Stocks & Modifieds & THE STACKERS!"

I've been out a few times last year and it's a blast. Hasn't worked out this year unfortunately. Maybe tomorrow.

Looks like fun! But their website is awkward. It *looks like* regular events - outside of the "Alberta Has Energy 300" series - adult admission is either $11 or $15 (possibly the difference is based on pre-paid or at-the-gate) but for this weekend it's $52. That's fairly steep, and I'd probably only go on Friday night, not the full weekend. Am I missing something?

Also, I don't see anything saying "no photography" and the pictures in their gallery are boring. I don't plan to interact with them in any way regarding photos, but I'd be taking lots of pictures if I'm not gonna get kicked out for my "professional-looking" camera (i.e. DSLR).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Racing sounds fun as hell but yeah $52 + $22 parking is pretty rich.

ExecuDork posted:

Thirding. Great photos - I know nothing about drones, what camera is it carrying?

That's the stock camera it came with.
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus

It's a 720/1080p video camera but also takes stills (which these are based off of) of 4384×3288 14MP with a 3-axis stabilized gimbal.

I unfortunately forgot I had the camera in fisheye so it's not quite the best quality it's capable of. You control the camera and ground station (plot waypoints, etc) with an app but a small cell screen is not the best. I have a 12" Galaxy that I ideally like to use, but it's more of a 2-person job when you're flying that way, although it's nice to have someone take control of the camera while you are focused on flying.

Here is a short video from the same time at Frank.

http://youtu.be/iqzhyQ5O8UQ

And Castle

http://youtu.be/D_Vh5hAqHk4

Just screwing around, not taking vid of anything in particular.

Luckily with GPS and ground station controls flying really is not that difficult as long as you aren't an idiot.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 10, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Is there a drone thread somewhere so I don't poo poo up this one with random dumb questions?

That looks like great fun, and I can think of a dozen uses (actually job-related useful uses) for such a device off the top of my head. Aerial photography is always a crowd-pleaser for scientific presentations, "This is my study site"-type slides or posters work much better from bird's-eye perspective.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386779

I only post there every now and then but it's usually quite active.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If anyone is in the area or wants to make the trip down south this weekend to Lethbridge, it is the Street Wheelers weekend.

http://www.streetwheelers.com/

It's basically a Hot August Nights in Lethbridge. It's getting pretty big and pretty much shuts down the city core for the weekend starting this evening. Restaurants/bars open massive set ups up along the main downtown routes in town and everyone sits around drinks, eats, and watches cars/rods and generally wait for the cops to get the inbreds that think they can get away driving like a jack rear end just because of the occasion.

Pretty much anything from antiques, modern muscle and exotics and bikes make appearances but it's mostly 50s and 60s muscle and rods.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Great, now I'm crunching the numbers to see if I can take the GL1100 down and back in under 24 hours...

Also, I checked and EIR is in fact charging $52 for just tonight ( that ticket does get you in to the overflow races for tomorrow though). So looks like I won't be going - $52 is too steep for my blood for oval racing for the evening.

Edit: Castrol has a special for tonight $10 gets you tickets to Street Legal Drags, EMRA Track Attack and Sprint racing on the Oval. That's a hell of a lot of racing for the money.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 10, 2015

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.
Man it was smokey yesterday (Sat. Jul. 11), so I present to you the gooniest self-portrait I've ever taken...

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I dunno man, that looks fun and practical to me.

I spent Saturday shoveling coal through a screen, manhandling barrels of the stuff, and disposing of the dust. I was riding the park's forklift down the highway as another guy drove it.

Felt pretty awesome hanging off of a big green Clarke. Really wanted a grenade lance in my hand though :black101:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I just spray-glued bedazzled horse teeth to my 3M Tekk mask. Much more entertaining to ride when you're in your convertible, and the filters help get rid of the excess tire smoke stink in the air.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Taking the Mazda2 to Regina for Super Slalom which is held at a cart track. Haven't been out in 2+ years so I'm pretty pumped. Looking forward to lift off oversteer :V

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I just spray-glued bedazzled horse teeth to my 3M Tekk mask. Much more entertaining to ride when you're in your convertible, and the filters help get rid of the excess tire smoke stink in the air.

Pictures are required.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

Pictures are required.

The chucks didn't kill enough horses at the Stampede this year for me to finish an entire mask.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
:boom:

You could use two teeth to make a :canada: version.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Death storm's a-comin, Airdrie bros.

Sky is black as gently caress.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Slung Blade posted:

Death storm's a-comin, Airdrie bros.

Sky is black as gently caress.

I was going to go karting tonight but if it ends up pissing rain in strathmore I'm just going to stay home.

Doesn't look good for the rest of the week either.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

I was going to go karting tonight but if it ends up pissing rain in strathmore I'm just going to stay home.

Doesn't look good for the rest of the week either.

Eh, it passed in like fifteen minutes.

Stupid cocktease weather.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yesterday I watched a large, dark-grey storm slide past to my south, closest it got with its rain and lightning and huge winds was about 2km.

Working outdoors in the middle of a wide-open field offers some great views of prairie weather.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They're cloud seeding a storm that's almost directly over the city.

It's like they want to gently caress poo poo up.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Powershift posted:

They're cloud seeding a storm that's almost directly over the city.

It's like they want to gently caress poo poo up.

It's chemtrails dude :tinfoil:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrChips posted:

It's chemtrails dude :tinfoil:

I wish. I could use some new limbs or gills or whatever they're supposed to do.

The supercell passed just south, but would have murdered gasoline alley with hail if it maintained it's course. I think they were aiming for that trailer park beside the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
obliterating any part of Red Deer (OTHER THAN THE DONUT MILL) would be a gift from god pbuh