Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
This thread is alternately the best and the absolute worst.

Regarding Bernie Sanders and race, I'm pretty sure the point Obdicut is making is that race is a two part problem: there's an economic component, to be sure, but there's also that systematic racism that he's been talking about. The fact of the matter is that just applying to a job with a black-sounding name makes you significantly less likely to be hired over someone whose name sounds white, even if everything else is identical. You could have done everything lese right, gotten a top-notch education and so on, and still lose out purely because you are black. You can take an economic approach on this--incentivizing diversity hires, for example--but I'm dubious about that being enough to really address the issue as opposed to just covering it up (and maybe even aggravating the issue somewhat, given how hard these things get dogwhistled)

Just recently the Confederate flag got taken down in a shitload of places. And while that's kind of a symbolic victory, it still sends a strong message about racism not being acceptable in public discourse. And that does make a difference; not because it'll make racists stop being racist, but because those ideas aren't being communicated and normalized, and slowly we make progress, parable of the racist tree-style. I remember a bunch of people in one of the Europe threads (eastern Europe I think) talking about how one of the really hardcore right-wing parties got control of the educational system for a while, and now you've got a bunch of kids who are espousing racist views because that's what they learned in school.

Bernie Sanders is definitely not racist, and he demonstrated in the past that he's aware of both parts of the issue. But the Civil Rights movement was a long time ago, and right now he's sort of neglecting one side of the issue when he could easily address it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Obdicut posted:

Sanders is being exemplary in his calls for unity, especially considering he has not been a Democrat before now.

She is 36th in her class, which is what matters, not the raw GPA. 22 ACT is above average.

62nd percentile, well within a std deviation of average of all high school seniors. This is trouble when you're going to a school that has an average ACT composite of 29 for their freshman class.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

i meant of them nominating a born again serial killer

BTK/Rubio 2016

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Joementum posted:

Between the June and July versions of Monmouth's polling, Trump improved his net favorability among Republicans from -35 to -1.

He's now trailing Bush 13% to 15% in their national poll (up from 2%).

Given that Trump is behaving, to me, just like he always has, what was his unfavorability previously based on? I really don't get what's caused the shift.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Hmm, its not like the vast majority of actual people had these same sort of evolution on issues or anything. Nope. Not at all. :allears:
Wait, there are people who believe that someone with a real shot of being elected President can be an actual person?

\/\/ Whether he goes negative or not (and I don't really see what he would gain from going in that direction), Bernie is not running a real campaign though.

Bryter fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 13, 2015

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Bernie isn't running a real campaign until he's willing to go negative.

I know there was rhetoric (possibly not even from his actual campaign but just supporters) around Obama not wanting to go negative in the 2008 election, befitting his Hope campaign, but did that pan out?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Brannock posted:

It's a lot harder for those things to continue when 13% of lawyers are black than when a tiny percentage of lawyers are black.

And how is this state of affairs supposed to change (only 3.9% of lawyers are African America), when if they ever do make it through, they only account for 4% of Big Law attorneys. This is discounting Black male underrepresentation in Law School admissions and graduations, and hte general barriers associated with employment in any field that I'd hope anyone in this thread would already be aware of.

This is not an economic issue. There is a deep and unbridgeable divide for the underclass, that no amount of monetary elevation could bridge. To this day, if enough wealthy black families move into a majority white neighborhood, the value of that neighborhood drops.

I don't know where Sanders stands on this issue. But his followers resting their hopes on him being entirely economically centered and thinking that would change the lives of blacks in America? That's naive at best.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's absolutely absurd to believe that, if elected, Hillary wouldn't work for the middle-class and work on diversity issues. Like, no elected Democrat would abandon those things whole-cloth if they ever wanted to be elected ever again. It demonstrates a smallness about the people attacking her. They can't attack her actual opinions on substance (they could, but they don't.)

SHE TOOK MONEY FROM THE BANKS! -- Okay, so, on her proposed changes to regulations of fiscal markets, what don't you agree with or where doesn't she go far enough?

Taerkar posted:

^^^ I have noticed a rather interesting juxtaposition of "Hillary is a flip-flopper" and "Those close-minded people never changing their ways!"

I doubt that he or his campaign has unless one goes pretty deep into manchurian candidate tinfoilery.

Or the return of the RED MENACE

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Hmm, its not like the vast majority of actual people had these same sort of evolution on issues or anything. Nope. Not at all. :allears:

Individual people usually do not change drastically once they've reached adulthood. American society evolved on the issue as a whole thanks to the demographics of older people dying, and being gradually replaced with new people open to new ideas. America evolved, Hillary just adapted to the new reality. I dont think she was ever specifically against gay marriage, she just doesnt really care and says whatever is expedient at the time. Thats my fundamental problem with her, not that she is some Republican boogeyman fantasy, but that she is ultimately a lot less principled than Sanders. Therefore, given that from what we can see today the next president will either be Hillary or Bernie (unless disaster strikes the a Republican takes the presidency), I as a rational person would prefer Sanders as the more principled and honest candidate.

Even if we give Hillary all the benefit of the doubt in the world, I would prefer the next president of the most powerful country on earth to be the one who was right all along rather than the one who was wrong at first and then eventually came around.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 13, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mr.48 posted:

Individual people usually do not change drastically once they've reached adulthood. American society evolved on the issue as a whole thanks to the demographics of older people dying, and being gradually replaced with new people open to new ideas. America evolved, Hillary just adapted to the new reality. I dont think she was ever specifically against gay marriage, she just doesnt really care and says whatever is expedient at the time. Thats my fundamental problem with her, not that she is some Republican boogeyman fantasy, but that she is ultimately a lot less principled than Sanders. Therefore, given that from what we can see today the next president will either be Hillary or Bernie (unless disaster strikes the a Republican takes the presidency), I as a rational person would prefer Sanders as the more principled and honest candidate.

Your argument is that she's not principled at all though, not that she's "less" principled.

Also, re: gay marriage -- lots of people actually have changed their views on the issue. Particularly people of her age group. You're simply bending facts to fit your constructed narrative about her and that's not really fair.

Mr.48 posted:

Even if we give Hillary all the benefit of the doubt in the world, I would prefer the next president of the most powerful country on earth to be the one who was right all along rather than the one who was wrong at first and then eventually came around.

I think it's likely willingly naive to believe that Bernie Sanders has been right on every issue ever.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mr.48 posted:

Individual people usually do not change drastically once they've reached adulthood.

I hear this almost as often as the "People get more conservative as they get older" line. Still is a vague and generally unsupported generalization that is then clumsily applied to a single person.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Also, re: gay marriage -- lots of people actually have changed their views on the issue. Particularly people of her age group. You're simply bending facts to fit your constructed narrative about her and that's not really fair.

Yeah but those are average people, politicians (especially those aspiring for the presidency) should be leaders on such issues.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Between the June and July versions of Monmouth's polling, Trump improved his net favorability among Republicans from -35 to -1.

He's now trailing Bush 13% to 15% in their national poll (up from 2%).

Honestly, a jump that dramatic makes me wonder about the reliability of the pollster more than anything else.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I want trump in a debate

I want him in a debate and for him to use puns based off of his own name

I want him to say trump card in a debate

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Your argument is that she's not principled at all though, not that she's "less" principled.

Everything is a matter of degree. She might have some issues she is principled on, but I dont believe the ones we are discussing are among them, and they are not minor issues that can be dismissed.

As far as people changing I can only judge based on people I know personally. The only ones who were swung in any way on gay marriage were ones that never cared about it that much in the first place, or found out they had a gay child. The rest are still just as bigoted, they just hide it now that its not polite to speak that way in most circles. You might have seen another side to this, but unless someone digs up a decent study, we are just trading anecdotes.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yeah but those are average people, politicians (especially those aspiring for the presidency) should be leaders on such issues.

The capacity to admit you were wrong on an issue is a big bonus though.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Is it possible that we could separate out the Dem and Rep primary threads eventually? I'm tired of scrolling through 3 pages of "will President Bernie Sanders sufficiently acknowledge blacks?" over and over and over to get to my Trumpchat.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Obdicut posted:

You believe I'm a troll for whatever reason--it's a nearly impossible argument to defend yourself against.All I can say is that what I've written here, and elsewhere,, is completely consistent with me being what I actually am, which is sincere.

Preach on, brother.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

De Nomolos posted:

Is it possible that we could separate out the Dem and Rep primary threads eventually? I'm tired of scrolling through 3 pages of "will President Bernie Sanders sufficiently acknowledge blacks?" over and over and over to get to my Trumpchat.

We need a forum that's Trump-sponsored.

LF is back... In Trump form!

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think it's likely willingly naive to believe that Bernie Sanders has been right on every issue ever.

He's been right on the ones I believe to be the most important for the United States as a whole, and he's been right on them for as long as I can track his career.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Mr.48 posted:

He's been right on the ones I believe to be the most important for the United States as a whole, and he's been right on them for as long as I can track his career.

My larger point was, you have said, repeatedly, you don't think Hillary will do anything she's says she will with no demonstrable evidence to that fact. I am challenging you to talk more substantively about what her proposed agenda versus Bernies and we keep coming back to the same tired arguments that boil down to this: "she didn't say she was for gay marriage soon enough!"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Taerkar posted:

We need a forum that's Trump-sponsored.

LF is back... In Trump form!

The yoojest, most luxoorious maoist third-worldism

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm beginning to think Bernie can't win because he has really lovely supporters. The worst I can say about Clinton's supporters here is they're a little too realist. I'm kind of appalled at how negative Bernie fans have gone, and I'm someone who's given him $100. I love them both personally, I just love Bernie more.

One of my favorite Bernie ideas I read unrelated to public policy, debates should be multiparty. Get a debate with Bernie, Clinton, O'Malley, Trump, Bush, and Walker in the same room, please and thank you. Of course that would never happen but boy would it be nice.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

DaveWoo posted:

Honestly, a jump that dramatic makes me wonder about the reliability of the pollster more than anything else.

To be fair it does have a whiff of a pollster massaging data to not appear to be dramatically out of line with the latest hotness. But this would be the third poll putting Trump in double digits.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

My larger point was, you have said, repeatedly, you don't think Hillary will do anything she's says she will with no demonstrable evidence to that fact. I am challenging you to talk more substantively about what her proposed agenda versus Bernies and we keep coming back to the same tired arguments that she's "she didn't say she was for gay marriage soon enough!"

I'm not saying that she wont necessarily carry out her promises, but since we are now in an effective binary state as far as the Democratic primary is concerned (the other candidates aren't even on the map and if the Republicans take the general election this is all moot anyway), I trust Sanders more than I trust Hillary thanks to his consistency. Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

this_is_hard posted:

Yep, this is literally the woman who was present in Walmart executive level anti-union meetings and didn't say a drat thing. lol if you expect HRC to do even as much as Obama has (very little ) w/r/t labor rights

:negative:

If you keep repeating it, it will become true.

this_is_hard posted:

This is absolutely someone I would expect to be a champion of labor unions

Oh yeah, there it is. That's what I needed.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

sucking Clinton dick harder than Lewinsky ever did.

Can we cool it with the casual misogyny used as an attack vehicle against Hillary? It's bad enough when Republicans do it, but especially sucks from supposed leftists, who are supposed to be better on issues like this.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
While the serious candidates are currently in a race to the left, Jim Webb would like to remind everyone that he exists and really should be running in the GOP again.

quote:

Former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb (D) slammed the liberal wing of the Democratic Party on Fox News Sunday this week and said that liberals who are against the Confederate Flag sound just as divisive and wrong-headed as Donald Trump’s remarks about Latino immigrants being “criminals” and “racists.”

Webb announced his candidacy for the Democratic nomination for president in 2016 earlier this summer. After a discussion of national security issues with Fox News Sunday host Brett Baier, Webb asked if he might address the controversial nature of Trump’s statements.

“This kind of divisive, inflammatory rhetoric by people who want to be commander-in-chief is not helpful, and we have seen from the liberal side as well this kind of rhetoric as it goes to Southern white cultures,” he said.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/sen-jim-webb-bernie-sanders-and-elizabeth-warren-are-way-far-left-not-my-democratic-party/

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Man he is gonna be so sad when he finds out that the Dixiecrats stopped being a thing.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

:negative:

If you keep repeating it, it will become true.

Oh yeah, there it is. That's what I needed.

please point out the factual errors in my post, tia

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
This thread is why Donald Trump will be our next President. :cripes:

I support Sanders, but man, people on both sides are being pretty horrible in here.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Obdicut posted:

Black people who are not financially secure have been able to--and been vital to--the progress of civil rights in this country. A. Phillip Randolph, one of my personal heroes, never got a college degree but was able to become a highly effective labor organizer and one of the driving forces in desegregation. When John Lewis participated in the Civil Rights movement, he was by no means financially secure, though he had gotten a degree at Fisk University--a segregated black university. Many of those involved in the Civil Rights Movement were not well-educated and were not financially secure. Many of the founders of CORE and other civil rights groups were not financially secure.

But beyond that, I am not, and nobody is, denying that Sanders' economic goals would benefit black people in the US. What I am saying is that what I have seen happen in the recession--the almost complete destruction of the middle-class black wealth that had been gained before then--makes me feel very strongly that the systemic institutional problems of racism are going to continue to destroy any progress that is made until we can eradicate it. One of the problems of the argument that education and economics is what is necessary to solve the problem is that in places where a black middle class has formed, this has usually not translated into equivalent political power, into equivalent integration into the institutions and power structure of society. This is because there is far more than just the barriers of education and economics keeping black people out of these positions.

It isn't possible for black people to 'fix it themselves', since many of the problems in the black community are the result of racist policies and racist attacks on them from outside their community. They can't 'fix themselves' things like racist policies on poll opening and closing, registration, racist sentencing biases and huge disproportions in african-american representation in prosecutors offices and the general political bureacracy. "Fix it themselves" sounds nice, but in the end, what is needed is for there not to be a separate (and unequal) black political power structure, but for black people to be well-represented inside the main political power structure, which requires real integration.

Any policies that improve education in the black community are good; any policies that improve economic prospects are good. Any policies that help with incarceration are good. What I'm saying, though, is that Sanders' approach is centered through economics, and I feel like the only approach that will have long-term effects and solutions is acknowledgement of the systemic racism and its effects beyond economics, over and above economics, in our society.

That's great that you can cite some uneducated black leaders. Obviously there are exceptions that exist, but it is incredibly and vastly more likely for educated people to start and to succeed with movements. They are much more likely to become leaders of those movements. This is incontrovertible. The educated are also incredibly more likely to be actually able to not only enter those institutions that you talk about, but also to succeed within those institutions. It's useless to have representation if they're unable to carry their weight, and this in fact leads to another sort of discrimination and prejudice, the idea that someone got somewhere not because of their merit, but because of their skin color.

Out one corner of your mouth you say that black people are completely incapable of fixing problems themselves, then out the other corner of your mouth you mandate that we somehow mandate that black people get representation in our political structures and institutions. Just what do you think they're going to do there? Sit on their rear end all day? Equal representation goes a long way towards solving systemic racism all by itself. By saying that black people are incapable of fixing systemic racism, and saying that education and economics won't solve it, you are implicitly saying that the only way to solve systemic racism is through the top down, through an initiative of (considering your other points, presumably) white people wagging their fingers at other white people and telling them to knock that poo poo out. We can fix things like racist polling policies, but how do we prevent those things from happening in the first place? Make sure blacks are represented throughout society and societal institutions. How do we make this happen? Give them educational and financial opportunity.

Now, unfortunately, systemic racism doesn't really have a single source, or even multiple sources, that you can attack. It's a confluence of about a thousand different factors that, combined, keep black people from participating on equal footing in American society. Focusing on Solving Systemic Racism is not a winning, nor convincing, position. It reeks of handwringing liberalism, of identity politics and kumbaya. Focusing on specifically substantial and material gains for a disadvantaged class of people will have actual, real, tangible impacts on the lives of many while also providing them the tools necessary to further themselves and help work to reshape society as they see fit instead of how people like you deem to be fit for them.

I don't find economic crisis to be a satisfactory argument against this. People are going to have their finances wiped out by an economic crisis -- that's kind of the point of an economic crisis. Yes, black homeowners were disproportionately affected in the recession, in part because they were the ones holding the worst cards. Why did this happen? Because they were targeted. Who targeted them? White bankers. How do we prevent this from happening again? Make sure they're not targeted. How do we do that? Lots of ways, but perhaps the most reliable involves a combination of getting more representation for blacks in finance and banking as well as elevating the overall education of the population so they're not as easy pickings. And how do we do that...?

Obdicut posted:

That also depends what law firms they're at, what positions they hold on the board, how represented they are as prosecutors, etc. etc. To give you a better idea where I'm coming from, check out this article on Harvard's (successful) emphasis on getting more women into the b-school program and what it didn't actually manage to change.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/education/harvard-case-study-gender-equity.html?pagewanted=all

I took the time to read the entire article (which, as an aside, I found to be scattered and lacking a real point. It reads more as a history than an actual piece of journalism) and frankly I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here in response to my post. Less competent and less prestigious lawyers are not as likely to gain access to social clubs? That seems obvious.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

While the serious candidates are currently in a race to the left, Jim Webb would like to remind everyone that he exists and really should be running in the GOP again.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/sen-jim-webb-bernie-sanders-and-elizabeth-warren-are-way-far-left-not-my-democratic-party/

You know I was super glad when he beat George Allen and having a D instead of an R in the Senate is generally good, but Jim Webb is a big dumb idiot and it is good he retired when he did. Tim Kaine ain't perfect but he isn't a blubbering rear end in a top hat who is a relic of a time long past.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

DaveWoo posted:

Well I mean, it's not like Trump hasn't done anything dramatic and attention-grabbing lately...

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Third World Reggin posted:

I want trump in a debate

I want him in a debate and for him to use puns based off of his own name

I want him to say trump card in a debate

You just activated my Trump card.

I'd vote for that.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
When is Hillary's economic reveal?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Maybe it's time for two threads? Having to filter through pages of premature and increasingly pedantic slapfights over Bernie's chances in order to laugh at the GOP Retard Roundup is getting old.

[b]2016 Republican Primary Thread: GOP Meltdown Fun Zone

2016 Democratic Primary Thread: Dumb Goon Slapfight Zone[\b]

I'm Richardfun and I approve this message.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

McDowell posted:

When is Hillary's economic reveal?

Already happened this morning

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/hillary-clinton-pitches-plan-growth-fairness-economy-n391121

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

quote:

She did not call for breaking up large banks on Wall Street, making college tuition free, increasing Social Security benefits or restoring banking regulations known as Glass-Steagall that were mostly repealed by her husband.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Veskit posted:

You just activated my Trump card.

I'd vote for that.

My opinions on china trump all of the other candidates opinions combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

But what could she have possibly done? :smug:

• Locked thread