Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Let's Play Wild Arms XF!

Wild ARMs XF (or Wild ARMs Crossfire) is the sixth game of the Wild Arms series and (as of now) the last one. It was released on the PSP in Japan in 2007 and in the west in 2008, and unlike the other games of the series, the gameplay is a turn-based Strategy RPG instead of a JRPG. However, despite the change of genre, it retains the series' western wasteland setting (and the same scattered sci-fi elements), the gimmicky puzzles (now in battles instead of dungeons), the hex-based battles of the later entries, and the traditional shifting of the stupid acronym for "ARM."

As an SRPG, XF is in the rough vein of FFT, granting the player a number of swappable classes and the ability to transplant learned abilities from one class to another. XF is atypically freeform for the FFT style, however, since a slot is a slot is a slot--there's no type-based or point-based limitations (though additional slots gradually unlock as you level). Do you want to give a class six different class ability sets? Okay, sure, why not? This lets you do some very fun things, especially since each of the story characters has a strong unique niche. The main restrictions are the parcelling-out of classes, the slow ramping-up of Class Point rewards, and the relatively high number of gimmick-based maps, but you get quite a lot of room to play around.

As a story, XF is solid--it's not top 10 material, but it gets the job done and it has some very good moments. By and large, I'll be letting it speak for itself. There's quite a lot of music, and it's generally good--make sure to listen to the tindeck links as you go.

XF is on PSN. If you have a Vita, I'd highly recommend you give it a shot! The last attempted LP is what made me try it out, after all.

LP Format and Thread Rules

This will be a screenshot LP. There is voice acting, but I won't be providing videos; scene animation is minimal, and unfortunately, XF just scrapes in before the point where "putting actual effort into your English voice acting" became an industry standard. It's bad. I will be providing music, however! Follow through and give it a listen, the Wild ARMs series has generally good music. If there's a "(New))" underneath a Tindeck link, the song hasn't shown up in the LP yet.

Mechanically, my grinding and my crafting will be minimal; I don't need any crutches to break this game over my knee, and there will be breaking. :black101: I'll be taking a medium-depth approach to explaining the mechanics: I'll be laying out a general overview of what numbers mean relative to other numbers and giving relative strengths ("150% of a normal attack," "above average speed"), but understanding the math won't ever be that important.

In the update posts, in-game dialogue will be in normal text with portraits alongside; some narration will have no portrait (but should be clear from context). The italics are my comments, except in mechanical posts (since there's no dialogue anyway). Updates will be two or three times a week, depending, with mechanics talk posts bewteen updates as characters join and classes are unlocked.

The spoiler policy is the same as always: don't. Whether it be mechanics or story, if you're not sure whether it's over the line, you probably shouldn't post it.

Updates:

Prologue: Seed of the Dandelion

Act 1: Path of the Founding Knights

Act 1-1
Class Breakdown 1, Character Breakdown 1
Act 1-2
Class Breakdown 2, Character Breakdown 2
Act 1-3
Class Breakdown 3
Act 1-4 (Alternative fight)
Act 1-5
Act 1-6

Einander fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Fanart and Misc:

(Vilkacis)

Einander fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 17, 2015

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Prologue: Seed of the Dandelion

(New)

The camera pans slowly downward.

I know you're here, Rupert! Show yourself! (pause) ... (pause)

(New)

--! The same dirty trick as before...

Rupert! Are you too much of a coward to fight me face to face!?
Well, that's a little harsh. You're the one who asked me to show myself in the first place!
... (pause) Return my mother's sword! There's no way you could use it anyway.
... (pause) Hate to admit it, but you're right. No point dragging this thing around if I can't get at its true power.

But I have to ask--why can't I get it to unleash that huge blast of energy again?
How should I know? Even I don't know how it works. My mother was the only one who could wield it. She wanted to use it to--
"To find a way to transform Filgaia from a war-torn wasteland to a land of abundance," right?
Bwah hah hah! That's rich. What a ridiculous dream.
How... how dare you!
Hey, watch it with the death glare, missy. You're going to spoil that pretty little face of yours.
Enough already! Just return my mother's sword.
All right, all right. Here...

(He had another sword?!)

Now who were you calling a coward, missy?!

There's a "tink" of metal-on-metal.

What the--?!
Felius! Th...thank you.
You need to be more cautious, Clarissa. You can't just rush in like that.
drat. I was so close, too... Oh well, I suppose where little missy goes, big brother is sure to follow.

So give me back my mother's sword!
Sheesh! Settle down! Is that all you know how to say?
Hmm... You know... If, as you say, there's no way I can use the sword's power... And you honestly don't know any way to unlock said power...

Felius! Watch for his draw!
I see it!
Oh, you do, do you? Do you really think you can foil me that easily?

It is a relief to have found you, sir. I'm afraid our scheduled meeting time has already passed.
I'm kinda in the middle of somethin' here...
Forgive us, sir, but we were asked to ensure that you arrive at the harbor in time. (pause) If we tarry too long, I fear that you might miss your vessel. Should that happen, the next passenger ship will not depart until--
Fine, fine. But what about these two pests? You gonna stall 'em for me?
...No. We'll eliminate them.

Hate to miss out on the fun, but I guess I got no choice...

(New)

Now that the scene's been appropriately set, we're off to the pre-battle screen. We have two characters right now, Clarissa and Felius, both of whom start out in their unique class.

Clarissa trades lower offense and defense for speed and attack range.

Felius is more of a physical tank.

They're both event-deployed; while you can still View Map before the start, you can't change their starting placement. They're already equipped and can't change classes, so there's nothing more to do here.

(New)

When you go on, there's a tutorial I won't be covering.

The important bit, though, is that they've locked Originals (skills and magic) for this battle.

The enemies are composed of two Striders, one Secutor, and one Elementalist. Rupert begins at the start, but will run away. This is great, because he's Level 10 to our 1 and we have no Originals--it wouldn't be pretty.

The fellows in ponchos are Striders, which are archers (weak but accurate); the brown-haired one is a Secutor, the basic physical attacker (very strong, moderately tanky); and the blond in the back is an Elementalist, the main offensive mage class (fragile, weak, high magic damage). For some reason, all of them have the Secutor Equipment skill, which they've used to equip Swords instead of their usual weapons.

Despite their numerical advantage, the striders have 33 HP; they go down quickly, at which point it's two-against-two. It's a typical tutorial battle.

Clarissa moves first. Her Dandelion Shot class can use her exclusive weapon, Strahl Gewehr. That German name roughly translates to "ray gun," which is an accurate description: it's a weapon with infinite range and low attack power. It will hit the first thing in the line of fire; unfortunately, one enemy dodging doesn't give you a chance at hitting any enemies behind them.

Despite its range, it has a damage and accuracy penalty that scales with distance from the target, and the damage isn't great even point-blank, so Clarissa generally has to close in anyway. (Thankfully, the penalty seems to be a multiplier to final damage--if she's not plinking for 0 damage in melee, she probably isn't doing so at range.)

An auspicious start.

Felius moves up (in a straight line, so he doesn't block Clarissa) and waits. The closer Strider approaches, the rest of the enemy does nothing.

Clarissa's closer, so she's doing more damage--plus, she landed a critical, which adds 50% to final damage. Felius can't reach without access to his skills, so he moves up just enough to stand between Clarissa and the first Strider; this doesn't matter, though, as Clarissa then double-turns the poor schmuck and shoots him dead.

Felius moves up and kills the Strider with a 57-damage crit.

This is a bad idea. You see, if you can reach your attacker, you can counter (with low odds). Instead, Clarissa shoots from two range: essentially the same damage, no risk of getting hit in the face.

She gets a double-turn, though, and Felius moves next before the enemy, so she does move into melee. You see, if two units flank an enemy at point-blank...

...you trigger one of the major unique parts of the battle system, Formation Arts. Normal attacks have a power of 200, multiplied against attack and then subtracted against defense; a two-person Formation Art has a power of 250 instead but is otherwise treated as a normal attack. There's no effect from facing in this game, so Formation Arts are the incentive to pay attention to formation.

Felius was projected to do 38 damage and instead did 46. Not a big boost, right?

Clarissa's base damage here was 15--after Formation Arts and the critical, she did very nearly as much as Felius's normal hits with 40 less attack. The fact the Formation Arts bonus is applied before enemy defense makes quite a big difference when your attacks are weaker or the enemy is stronger. (Dandelion Shot's Extra Critical passive skill should boost critical damage still further... But it seems to have a separate skill activation chance and it didn't play along.) And you'll notice that three of her four attacks so far have been criticals, so her damage is actually surprisingly reliable!

...except that this requires Clarissa to be in melee. Between Formation Arts and the range-based damage scaling on Strahl Gewehr, the infinite-range attacker is most effective by far when she's shooting people directly in the face. If this strikes you as some sick cosmic joke, then you are correct, it is. Strahl Gewehr may grow with Clarissa's level, but this mostly just ensures that its attack will always be low relative to other physical weapons.

When I discovered this during my first playthrough, I resolved then and there that I would find a way to make Clarissa a laser beam death goddess, the kind of character who can kill half the enemy team from the other side of the map. I do not accept your bullshit mechanical restrictions on this beautiful instrument of death, XF! There are classes and there are class skills and there are equipments, and I will find a way.

That's our goal, ladies and gentlemen. The rest is details.

Particularly in this fight. The Elementalist is the sole enemy on the battlefield who can use any Originals, and that's his damage. Using a sword instead of a proper mage weapon is not doing him any favors.

Shortly after Rupert reaches the end of the battlefield...

This line is a bit odd, considering that you really can't be anywhere near the arch when this event triggers--even if Clarissa moves her maximum every turn, there's enemies in the way.

... (pause) Anyway, I gotta get a move on. Quit following me around, missy--or next time'll be your last. As long as you remember that, I'm sure we'll get along just fine.

...See ya 'round. I'll figure out Iskender Bey's secrets myself--even if it takes me a lifetime to do it.

Back to the battle, or what's left of it. Clarissa gets one more critical, bringing her up to an absurd 80% critical rate. Then Felius puts him out of his misery.

(New)

Unlike many SRPGs, you don't get mid-battle experience. EXP Bonus rises with the number of kills obtained, while CP Bonus depends on your VP at the end of battle--a higher percentage of VP remaining, a higher CSP Bonus. (I'll cover VP later, when it's relevant.) Both Felius and Clarissa reach level 3, but neither reaches the CSP benchmark for the next Class Level.

(New)

Wyman: Heh heh... I never thought this little vial would come in handy...

--?!

It's too late, Felius... They're already dead.

They poisoned themselves when they realized they'd lost...

You know, usually the "vial of poison" trick is reserved for when you're likely to be interrogated and/or tortured for information; there's really no reason to do it if your enemy is just trying to leave. If this group is composed of people who kill themselves on failure regardless of the stakes, then it's no wonder we were facing level 1 30-HP enemies--no one smart enough to manage more competence signs up.

At least this'll be a very easy evil organization to topple, if it comes to that.

What kind of secret did they share with Rupert? What could they have been willing to die for in order to protect?
... (pause) Not only did he manage to get away, he managed to hide his tracks completely.
One of the robed guys said something about a ship. He must have been headed for a harbor somewhere...

The music stops.

She walks over to grab it.

This looks like... some kind of badge? Did this belong to Rupert?
Hmm. He must have dropped it in the skirmish earlier.
I think I've seen this design before... Where was it? I can't quite recall...
It looks like the kind of symbol you'd find in the emblem of a royal family. If that helps any.

(New)

Yes, that's it--a royal seal! I saw one just like this... The royal seal of Elesius!
...Elesius?
It's an old country on the eastern continent, across the sea. ... Hold on a second...

(There's the sound of pages flipping.]

...Here it is! Yep, it's the exact same design. Great work, Felius!
I didn't do anything. You're the one who figured it out, Clarissa.

I must've been so young that I don't remember anything about it.
I bet we can catch a ship to Elesius from one of the harbors nearby.
You intend to pursue him?
...Yeah. I don't know what Rupert is planning, but I can't allow him to use Mother's sword for evil! Will you...come with me?

Thank you, Felius. I feel like I could go anywhere with you by my side.
If we're to catch Rupert and reclaim Iskender Bey...
We need to head across the sea--to the kingdom of Elesius!

(New)

At this point, the opening video plays. Video very generously provided by DarkHamsterlord, who previously started the attempt at this game that inspired me to play it.

Video: Opening

Next time, we start Chapter One.

Einander fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 15, 2015

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I love this game almost as much as I love its soundtrack. I'll be following this.

edit: if you haven't clicked this link yer a huge fool

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 12, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm curious how you will make Clarissa a "laser beam death goddess". That journey is going to be interesting.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Hell yeah! And hnnggg, that music. loving Wild Arms.

That opening "animation" is a colossal disappointment after some of the things the series has managed, though.

Einander posted:

When I discovered this during my first playthrough, I resolved then and there that I would find a way to make Clarissa a laser beam death goddess, the kind of character who can kill half the enemy team from the other side of the map. I do not accept your bullshit mechanical restrictions on this beautiful instrument of death, XF! There are classes and there are class skills and there are equipments, and I will find a way.

Sounds promising!

quote:

At least this'll be a very easy evil organization to topple, if it comes to that.

Oh come on, what are the odds of that happening?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I wholeheartedly approve of your plan! Good luck!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Am I the only one who thinks that Clarissa kinda looks like a Pokemon character? I think it's the artstyle, there's definitely a resemblance to Sugimori's.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Seriously, though, click every single music link, people. Wild Arms always has good stuff.

I look forward to what you do with Clarissa, and the LP in general. XF is an odd duck of a game, but it has some things it does super well.

Waffleman_ posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that Clarissa kinda looks like a Pokemon character? I think it's the artstyle, there's definitely a resemblance to Sugimori's.
It's probably the narrow vertical eyes - slightly unusual for most anime and very recognizable in Pokemon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's fuckin' exactly what it is.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm curious how you will make Clarissa a "laser beam death goddess". That journey is going to be interesting.

It's...not as hard as it seems. The class pieces exist, you just have to shove them together.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I love how over-the-top the song titles in this game are. "Make a Wish to the Wind and a Vow to the Light" anyone?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

ultrafilter posted:

I love how over-the-top the song titles in this game are. "Make a Wish to the Wind and a Vow to the Light" anyone?
Some of the later ones are even sillier. It's great.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Even the short ones are great: TERRIBLE MONSTER ATTACKING CREW

though that one's from wa5

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

This already looks super interesting, and nth-ing the urge to listen to the music. This music is already great.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this game plays out! It certainly looks interesting already. And especially looking forward to our lazer death canon lady :3:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I wonder how well this game works on PPSSPP.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Tallgeese posted:

I wonder how well this game works on PPSSPP.

Why are you asking that? It's PPSSPP.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh, is this LP being done on emulator? I wasn't sure.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Can we spoil any mechanics of the game

Nevermind I'll just complain how BORING some of the missions are when we get to them

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Oh, is this LP being done on emulator? I wasn't sure.

nah i think he just meant that pretty much everything works with ppsspp flawlessly nowadays

at least in my experience

anyway this is a good game but there are some things i don't like. like how it's a billion chapters long, and all the endgame chapters have you play the chapter, then fight some more enemies on the same map starting from the opposite side this time.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Yeah, even as someone who rates XF as their favorite Wild ARMs, map design is a big flaw in the game. every once in a while it'll be brilliant, but much more often its infuriating. But it's still got that FFT-brand cross-classing shenanigans going on, so much love.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Looking forward to seeing your take on this game after Saga Frontier II!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I always thought they never could keep the magic up with the series,

:negative: Why can't you just be good like you used to be.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I dunno about that. All six/seven (Depending on what degree you want to call ACF its own game) Wild ARMs games are deeply flawed but have a great deal of personality. Depends more on what flaws bother you most and what expectations you go into the games with.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried to come up with a Dark Tower reference here, but failed. Oh well.

Anyways, does the music keep up to this standard? So far it's just criminally beyond the standard for these types of games -- especially since I love brass and it's underused by japanese composers.

Two deus ex machina moments in just the prologue though? That doesn't speak well for the plot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm not sure what you mean by two deus ex machina moments. It's more that they're introducing the characters and setting one thing at a time. Felius pops in to show that Clarissa has this bodyguard "big brother" guy who's always with her, and Rupert gets called away because chasing him down is literally the plot of the game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

people don't understand the meaning of deus ex machina, news at 11

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Chuu posted:

Anyways, does the music keep up to this standard? So far it's just criminally beyond the standard for these types of games -- especially since I love brass and it's underused by japanese composers.

The music for Wild ARMs 5 and XF were mostly done by Elements Garden, since Michiko Naruke hasn't done much for Wild ARMs since she had health issues during 4. The music in XF is noticeably more techy-sounding than previous games but they sometimes bring in the classic sphagetti-western style brass.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by two deus ex machina moments. It's more that they're introducing the characters and setting one thing at a time. Felius pops in to show that Clarissa has this bodyguard "big brother" guy who's always with her, and Rupert gets called away because chasing him down is literally the plot of the game.

The big one is this:

Felius : ... (pause) Not only did he manage to get away, he managed to hide his tracks completely.

two lines later . . .

Clarissa: This looks like... some kind of badge? Did this belong to Rupert?
Felius : Hmm. He must have dropped it in the skirmish earlier.

Plot advancement and narrative dump by marilicious coincidence!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

in what world are either of those deus ex machina

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

he's a skilled opponent that can cover his tracks, except for one slip-up which gives them a lead on him.

that's like, a narrative, not a deus ex machina

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm pretty sure the "covering his tracks" referred to the guys killing themselves, meaning they couldn't be questioned about it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that too

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Chuu posted:

The big one is this:

Felius : ... (pause) Not only did he manage to get away, he managed to hide his tracks completely.

two lines later . . .

Neither of those are anything close to a deus ex machina. Deus ex machina literally means "god from the machine" and refers to a seemingly unsolvable situation being suddenly and unexpectedly solved by something external to the situation and usually (at least in modern examples) external to the entire story to that point. The original examples are literally gods suddenly showing up (usually lowered by a crane, thus "god from the machine") and whisking a character away to safety. Deus ex machina is used almost exclusively at the climax (or at least a climax) of a story because that's usually the only place you find characters stuck with dire, unsolvable problems.

This is the first scene of a story. Pretty much by definition it can't be a climactic scene because there has been no rising action before it. As such it's very difficult for there to be a deus ex machina in the scene. Even discarding that, though, neither of your above-referenced examples qualify as deus ex machina; the first isn't solving any problem, while the second solves a problem by means of something entirely plausible within the situation at hand. When people jump around quickly and engage in fighting, it's entirely reasonable to believe something like a badge might get knocked loose and be left behind. It's convenient, but deus ex machina by definition goes very far beyond convenient.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Chuu posted:

The big one is this:

two lines later . . .

lol, a good start to the LP. Wait until people start unveiling they might not be what you might have thought they are, it's like machine gods' city

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

CmdrKing posted:

I dunno about that. All six/seven (Depending on what degree you want to call ACF its own game) Wild ARMs games are deeply flawed but have a great deal of personality. Depends more on what flaws bother you most and what expectations you go into the games with.
I suppose it could be said that 5 had a great deal of personality. That personality was that of the kid that has to wear a helmet at all times lest he hurt himself, but it was there. In abundance.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Edvarius posted:

I suppose it could be said that 5 had a great deal of personality. That personality was that of the kid that has to wear a helmet at all times lest he hurt himself, but it was there. In abundance.

It was a giant robot anime. That was literally it's personality. Dumb kid who never gives up and runs into things comes with the territiory.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It wasn't a very good giant robot anime.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I'm a huge fan of the series and I couldn't make it more than one hour into Wild ARMs 5. The writing was just disastrous on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The funny part is, they hired a writer specifically for that game. A writer who'd done stuff outside of video games.

• Locked thread