Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Yeesh,

quote:

I probably won’t see him for a while because I leave for my trip this week and I’ll be gone for a while. I’m only getting $300 for the trip this time instead of $1000, but I guess it makes sense that im punished somehow.
Yes, yes you are being punished for being dumb with money. That $700 of fun money for your vacation was spent on your friends on the dumb checks you wrote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

THF13 posted:

/r/Wallstreetbets in its entirety qualifies for this thread, but here is some grade A material.
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/3cyc8r/on_monday_i_will_enter_a_true_real_and_final_yolo/

Good subreddit find

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Droo posted:

In a lot of states, the equity in your house is protected from lawsuits up to a certain point. For example, if I have a paid off house in Nevada, the money in my house can't be taken from me if I lose a lawsuit (up to $550k here).

Yeah there certainly can be reasons to do stuff like this (a concise list of them would be a cool thing to have in the house thread - I'd be interested in hearing more). In this case, each individual would need to do their own reasoning as to how much per month is reasoning to spend on, uhh, "lawsuit insurance".

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

THF13 posted:

/r/Wallstreetbets in its entirety qualifies for this thread, but here is some grade A material.
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/3cyc8r/on_monday_i_will_enter_a_true_real_and_final_yolo/

Oh my god.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

CannonFodder posted:

Yeesh,
Yes, yes you are being punished for being dumb with money. That $700 of fun money for your vacation was spent on your friends on the dumb checks you wrote.

$700 can be cheap for a financial life lesson.

If only it wasn't about a financial instrument that's all but obsolete. Maybe the lesson will carry over to other payment methods. Or maybe he'll print out pictures of the front and back of his debit card and stick it in this year's Christmas cards.

"It's a souvenir!"

Zauper posted:

Umbrella coverage policies are also ridiculously cheap. I think I have a $3M umbrella policy for about $180/yr.

Umbrella policies are super cheap, but your carrier may require you to max out your liability coverage as a condition of purchasing one.

It's still a great option if you are trying to protect assets. I convinced my mom to get one while my DUI loving brother was still on her auto insurance.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 13, 2015

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah there certainly can be reasons to do stuff like this (a concise list of them would be a cool thing to have in the house thread - I'd be interested in hearing more). In this case, each individual would need to do their own reasoning as to how much per month is reasoning to spend on, uhh, "lawsuit insurance".

Umbrella coverage policies are also ridiculously cheap. I think I have a $3M umbrella policy for about $180/yr.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

THF13 posted:

The worst part about this is that it's creating a no-win outcome regardless of how things go.

If s/he gets wiped out, then that's it, no where else to go.

If s/he doesn't get wiped out, then it's just going to reinforce that completely stupid undiversified bets are a good move. Which will lead to getting wiped out.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

THF13 posted:

Thank you so much for this. Holy poo poo.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
50 cent has filed for bankruptcy
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-33514174
Seeing how he has made tens of millions of dollars it will be interesting to see what kind of MC Hammer and Mike Tyson poo poo he's gotten up to :allears:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

The worst part about this is that it's creating a no-win outcome regardless of how things go.

If s/he gets wiped out, then that's it, no where else to go.

If s/he doesn't get wiped out, then it's just going to reinforce that completely stupid undiversified bets are a good move. Which will lead to getting wiped out.

It's a brilliant gamble he's going all or nothing. If he wins he's bought to do it again until he loses. The best outcome for bad with money.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

It's just so weird that he apparently has enough in his portfolio to swap them all out for apple stocks, and have $100,000+(?) after a 10 point increase? How is he currently so hosed with those numbers? What am I missing here?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
He's not buying stocks, he's buying short term options. Those options probably only cost a couple bucks apiece, so a $10 increase in the share price means 8% profit on the stock but might be 200-400% profit on the options. The flip side being that if the stock price drops 2-3% he loses it all instead of taking a tiny haircut.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Gabriel Pope posted:

He's not buying stocks, he's buying short term options. Those options probably only cost a couple bucks apiece, so a $10 increase in the share price means 8% profit on the stock but might be 200-400% profit on the options. The flip side being that if the stock price drops 2-3% he loses it all instead of taking a tiny haircut.

Thanks, I figured I was missing something!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Gabriel Pope posted:

If I'm reading this right, he's probably paying $3.15 for a 7/24 call at $125.
Ignoring transaction costs and taxes, the stock price on that day has got to be $128.15 to see a profit, right?

What an idiot.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
He's gambling, not investing, and spoiler: he's a really bad gambler

eta: but lucky, today his options almost doubled in value
https://www.google.com/finance/option_chain?q=NASDAQ%3AAAPL&ei=XiikVdHfD4OsmAGU9IvYDA

paperchaseguy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 13, 2015

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Lord Tywin posted:

Seeing how he has made tens of millions of dollars it will be interesting to see what kind of MC Hammer and Mike Tyson poo poo he's gotten up to :allears:

50 cent has made hundreds of millions; it looks like the personal bankruptcy he is filing is in strategic response to a $5 million civil judgment against him in a sex tape lawsuit (for real). I'd say given his business interests there is absolutely no chance he is actually remotely close to broke

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I'm not sure if this is good with money or bad with it. Good if it works I guess.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm not sure if this is good with money or bad with it. Good if it works I guess.

I had an acquaintance from art school do the same poo poo. He sounded like such an entitled little poo poo about it though. I just looked it up again and the dude changed it to read that he needs money for surgery now lmbo.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I had a friend do the same thing for school loans. Six months later she bought a house.

I had a good chuckle about whoever donated to that one.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

silvergoose posted:

I've never, ever heard of such a rate in the US.

I get 3% up to 15k in my checking account if I make 120 dollars worth of debit transactions a month.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

50 cent has made hundreds of millions; it looks like the personal bankruptcy he is filing is in strategic response to a $5 million civil judgment against him in a sex tape lawsuit (for real). I'd say given his business interests there is absolutely no chance he is actually remotely close to broke

I was trying to figure that out. Even if his money is bound into non-liquid corporate shares, wouldn't that still count as assets in a bankruptcy court? Or maybe he has all his millions in non-revocable trusts.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

TLG James posted:

I get 3% up to 15k in my checking account if I make 120 dollars worth of debit transactions a month.

What bank? Jesus

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Krispy Kareem posted:

I was trying to figure that out. Even if his money is bound into non-liquid corporate shares, wouldn't that still count as assets in a bankruptcy court? Or maybe he has all his millions in non-revocable trusts.

Rich people are allowed to cheat at these kinds of things. I have no doubt his lawyers will produce a document proving beyond a doubt that Curtis Jackson had to eat chinese food from a trashcan just to get the energy to walk the 12 miles to the courtroom that day.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BossRighteous posted:

I had an acquaintance from art school do the same poo poo. He sounded like such an entitled little poo poo about it though. I just looked it up again and the dude changed it to read that he needs money for surgery now lmbo.

Brain transplant, hopefully?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Sounds like I should take out a big loan on a house and really grow my money with it.

:regd07:

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Lord Tywin posted:

Huh. The guy even owns a mansion previously owned by Mike Tyson.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

THF13 posted:

Some people in the thread are saying he faked his own death a few months ago. I'm not sure what they're talking about, but it sounds entertaining. They also mentioned americanpegasus, who is infamous in the Bitcoin thread for being a complete nutjob.

Edit:

quote:

[–]wafflewaxsuggested 8 points 1 day ago

If all else fails, you can make one last investment: .45, COLT

Rookie mistake--you can do it way cheaper via suicide with a rental at the shooting range.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

SpelledBackwards posted:

Some people in the thread are saying he faked his own death a few months ago. I'm not sure what they're talking about, but it sounds entertaining.

Yup

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

BossRighteous posted:

What bank? Jesus

Just look around for credit unions. The one I'm with gives me 2% up to $25k and 0.25% on everything after for 15 transactions a month.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

BossRighteous posted:

What bank? Jesus

Credit Unions bro.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

TLG James posted:

Credit Unions bro.
My credit union has some partnership with Kasasa. Theres a decent rate for associated savings accounts too.

quote:

For Kasasa Cash, if qualifications are met each monthly qualification cycle: (1) Domestic ATM fees incurred during qualification cycle will be reimbursed and credited to account on the last day of monthly statement cycle; (2) balances up to $10,000 receive APY of 3.00%; and (3) balances over $10,000 earn 0.25% dividend rate on the portion of the balance over $10,000, resulting in 3.00% – 0.53% APY depending on the balance.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

ladyweapon posted:

My credit union has some partnership with Kasasa. Theres a decent rate for associated savings accounts too.

Sigh... my CU is nice, but they top out at 0.25% for checking only when you have at least $100k in there, and 0.25% on savings at $5k or more. It's ridiculous. :(

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I struggle to make that many transactions in a month most months, even if I put all my bills through a single card.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

TLG James posted:

Credit Unions bro.

I do bank at a CU but our savings rates are ~1.2% still. It's a pretty small scale one, so maybe that's part of it. I haven't heard of consistent 3s since the late 00s. Good deal :)

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's a chapter 11 bankruptcy. He doing it so he can structure the pay out of his multiple liabilities.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

There must be some fundamentally different way my country works money. All the heinous low sounding interest rates. My bank offers up to 4.75% on savings up to 500k with 4.5 on 500k+ on a 5 year. Only drops .75% taking it down to a year or less.
On the flipside I don't think we have stock investment as prevalent as the US.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Spiteski posted:

There must be some fundamentally different way my country works money. All the heinous low sounding interest rates. My bank offers up to 4.75% on savings up to 500k with 4.5 on 500k+ on a 5 year. Only drops .75% taking it down to a year or less.

Banks can borrow all the money they want from the Fed for next to nothing. There's no incentive to competing for customer deposits.

Back when I worked at a community bank we'd hike up the CD rates when we wanted to sell more mortgages. There was a solid link there between taking money in and lending it out. That balance has been screwed up by keeping Fed rates so low.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
In a bit of a pickle - I need to get a $30k line of credit, and have a cosigner. Wells fargo won't touch it, because there are a couple bogus outstanding accounts on my Experian score (which I have since gotten resolved but they tell me will take 6 months to affect my score). I need to get this money squared away pronto, so I need to find a bank that will run everything on one of the other bureaus (There's like a 175 point discrepancy between them and Experian) to smooth things out. My cosigner has a score over 800. Any leads? I'm in California.

deetron69 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 14, 2015

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Oz Fox posted:

In a bit of a pickle - I need to get a $30k line of credit, and have a cosigner. Wells fargo won't touch it, because there are a couple bogus outstanding accounts on my Experian score (which I have since gotten resolved but they tell me will take 6 months to affect my score). I need to get this money squared away pronto, so I need to find a bank that will run everything on one of the other bureaus (There's like a 175 point discrepancy between them and Experian) to smooth things out. My cosigner has a score over 800. Any leads? I'm in California.

Try a local credit union, or a bank that has a relationship with your cosigner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Spiteski posted:

Offered savings account rates reflect the key overnight rate which reflects inflation. The important thing is the difference between the rate offered and inflation. An account that pays 2% when inflation is at 1% is better than an account that pays 7% when inflation is 8%. But on the internet people will just talk about 7% being better than 2%.

• Locked thread