Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

JakeP posted:

same bug different name

I call them Roly Polys

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Opopanax posted:

I call them Roly Polys

same. kept them as pets as a kid

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm moving to the Pac NW in ~a month, I'm gonna die too.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'll be mourned.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

He was the president of Nintendo during the most recent period. I don't know what he was personally responsible for but I like Nintendo and I worry it isn't a company that holds up through loss/change but I have no real reason to think that so I'm probably wrong.

The Japanese gaming industry is terrible (and was worse in the 80s) for assigning credit to individuals, but I know he started out with HAL in the 80s, was the (only?) code guy on Balloon Fight, he co-produced Earthbound with Itoi and also did a bunch of the code on that, his wikipedia article mentions he developed compression and crosstalk tools for various Pokemon games... He became president of the company in 2002, and oversaw the Wii/DS era. Basically, dude's got a list of accomplishments that makes me wonder why I waste all this oxygen.

As regards the company's ability to handle change, they're already pushing to move to the mobile market, since they know consoles are a sinking ship. They'll be fine.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'll be mourned.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Yeah Iwata was pretty much solely responsible for compressing Pokemon Gold & Silver enough to fit Kanto into them as well. And yeah he's very much the reason Earthbound was so good.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If you can suggest the two best Gabriel-era Genesis albums and his two best solo albums I'll listen to them sometime

Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, So and Peter Gabriel I (his first solo)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tremendous Taste posted:

Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, So and Peter Gabriel I (his first solo)

I'll get back to you on these.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

I might suggest Foxtrot over The Lamb simply because of Supper's Ready and Watcher of the Skies (and the fact that The Lamb could really do with having about a third of it cut out) but these are good suggestions.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Foxtrot owns and is probably better but there's so much energy in Lamb

Ok switch to Foxtrot and just listen to the title track of Lamb

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Foxtrot is a good comic.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I am unabashedly a Peter Gabriel stan

He makes up the holy Trinity of whatever he is with David Bowie and David Byrne

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

I am unabashedly a Peter Gabriel stan

He makes up the holy Trinity of whatever he is with David Bowie and David Byrne

1980 is an amazing confluence for those three---Scary Monsters, Remain in Light and 3/Melt

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

We need a buy menu game. I just can't drive myself to make it.

Whenever a town dies, a mouse buyers buys a pp-bizon.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hey Runaktla, how did you become a "gross attention seeking oval office"?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm currently reading American Psycho at the moment and enjoying it for the most part. Usually when he talks about music I try to listen to the track.

I just read the chapter titled Genesis. I never knew why exactly Phil Collins was a walking punch-line until now. They are a horrible plastic band. I'll admit that there was the rare pop track in the albums Bateman reviews that I enjoyed but by and large it's just awful. I wonder if Genesis was actually better/good with Peter Gabriel around, though the only thing I know by that dude is 'Solsbury Hill', which is a fine fun song, but I am in no mood to listen to more Genesis to find out.

Either way, this fictional character has terrible taste in music. I'm cleansing out my ears and brain by listening to Mission of Burma. Hard to believe that the two groups were writing their stuff around at the same time. Music's so varied.

Just you wait until the scene (not in the movie) where Patrick Bateman has a near-religious experience making eye contact with Bono at a U2 concert

And then read the short story Girl With Curious Hair by David Foster Wallace because it's a sendup of Ellis, does what he was trying to do with American Psycho, and does it better, in less words, and came out before American Psycho. Also it has my favorite opening line of anything ever.

I know I keep coming in a page late to add Wallace to the discussion but y'all just set me up so perfectly I can't help myself.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
an old coworker of mine loved when the name of the movie was said inside the movie, whenever anyone in the office found an example they'd always let him know.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
especially if the person saying it looks meaningfully into the camera as they do

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Mafia thread it is too drat hot.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
don't read john green.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i only read hank green

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I took a walk this morning and it was already too hot.

Also I really like John Green. :)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I'm looking forward quite a bit to the Paper Towns movie. I read it when it came out and I was in high school and it is a really important part of that time in my life.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
how are you not preserved in amber from all that sap

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

John Green's been posting Mountain Goats songs to his tumblr lately (with the "money line" for each) because he's a giant MG nerd and so is the character in the movie version of his latest book and my girlfriend has looked at each of these selections and seethed about how bad his ideas about "money lines" are, either clipping off the best part or taking a line terribly out of context or just being dumb or what have you.

I've never read the guy, but he sounds insufferable.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

I'm looking forward quite a bit to the Paper Towns movie. I read it when it came out and I was in high school and it is a really important part of that time in my life.

...are you actually younger than capps?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The secret of the mountain goats is that every line is the money line.

(Or at least a line that 13-y.o. me would have used as his status message on MSN Messenger)

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I believe I am one year older than capps.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Allen Wren posted:

I've never read the guy, but he sounds insufferable.
hmm this is probably true, you are an expert at sounding insufferable.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
hey I need a replacement for my big game! maybe even two! if you're up for it message me!

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I have hairy earlobes

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
i have hairy palms

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

i have hairy palms

Freak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I got hit in the face with a thrown ball during softball today, but the important thing is that I disrupted the double play.