Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I like to play with the goal of playing well and improving rather than playing with the goal of winning and ranking up. Winning and ranking up relies on a lot of external factors and it either leads to me getting frustrated with things that are outside of my control or falsely believing that I'm better than I really am because I happened to get carried a few games in a row. I'm prone to getting Mad At Video Games (and board games, and sports) if I'm not mindful so keeping this attitude is helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

Raioner posted:

Don't do this.

Weekend nights are excused.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

PerOlus posted:

Weekend nights are excused.

Want to rank up? Don't cause losses by being drunk. Play on a community server if you must play 10 mans hammered.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You can play CS drunk and still win but this is ADVANCED STRAT ONLY

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Playing mm drunk is like reverse smurfing.

Edit: gargamelling?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

prom candy posted:

Playing mm drunk is like reverse smurfing.

Edit: gargamelling?

being an annoying bottom feeder

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
fyi you can rank up off of losses if you play well enough

just solo Q, dominate the other team, and relax

if you aren't getting 1+ FPR in your MM games you're probably at the correct rank

illezt
Mar 1, 2005

Jeza posted:

90% of Silvers cannot aim at anywhere near a competent level. Below Silver Elite and we are generally into grandmother territory. What I saw at Silver 3 was pretty close to severe mental illness. Silver 1 I assume is beyond the pale. I remember some goons posting a while back a match where they won using only knives. Split-second headshots it wasn't.

I taught my ex girlfriend how to play CS when I was like a nova 3 or 4 or something -- she had literally never played a PC FPS in her life, and she placed into Nova 1. I mean we were telling her what to do all the time, but she was out aiming silvers on a pretty consistent basis despite having no idea what to do (granted, having no bad habits like panic spraying probably helped). It's really really loving hard to place into silver.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

illezt posted:

I taught my ex girlfriend how to play CS when I was like a nova 3 or 4 or something -- she had literally never played a PC FPS in her life, and she placed into Nova 1. I mean we were telling her what to do all the time, but she was out aiming silvers on a pretty consistent basis despite having no idea what to do (granted, having no bad habits like panic spraying probably helped). It's really really loving hard to place into silver.

Watch the dust2-game I posted earlier, for silver level play. I was on the losing team, and we were terrible, but the opponents were also silver.

edit:
My point being that what you're saying sounds alien.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

illezt posted:

My guess is that a lot of very low silvers are playing with weird or bad hardware or are extremely young. I personally know, for example, someone who plays with an xbox controller and swears that its just as good. Although, come to think of it he made it to GN1....

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
http://www.twitch.tv/esl_csgo

esl classics are playing, right now its nip vs k1ck on nuke

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
ELO HELL IS REAL

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

My guess is that a lot of very low silvers are playing with weird or bad hardware or are extremely young. I personally know, for example, someone who plays with an xbox controller and swears that its just as good. Although, come to think of it he made it to GN1....
I placed Silver II because GO was the first multiplayer FPS I ever played besides TF2. :v:

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

I placed Nova 3 because I never really played 5v5 counter-strike before and when I started (early this year) I actually found the low novas to be harder than when I ranked up through the MG's. The reason is that every game basically had someone raging and throwing/leaving, and a smurf on either my team or the other team, so it was a roll of the dice as I wasn't yet as good or experienced as the DMG+ smurfs

Goons like to act above it all and claim that the ranking system is sacrosanct or something, and maybe you belong in nova if you're nova or whatever, but those ranks are really lovely to play at and if you're not good enough to rise above them then it's not a fun time. I hope it's better with the profile rank 3 requirement nowadays because the 'new player experience' was pretty hilarious then. Also, I think the MM system needs a rework, even League has a far better system

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Also, I think the MM system needs a rework, even League has a far better system

If they implement a promotional games i'll lose my poo poo. I hated that portion so much. Win 10 in a row just to get into promos and have someone feed and lose two games and you get to start all over.

I wouldn't mind a little more transparency though, having some official response on the elo system would be awesome instead of the conspiracy theories out there.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Raioner posted:

the conspiracy theories out there.

I was doing kind of bad in a game (not on purpose, I'm just bad a lot of the time) some supreme guy told me he and his friends were going to votekick me after the game was over so I got two losses. He insisted that this is a Real Thing. I got kicked after the scoreboard popped up and ranked up a couple games later. People are really dumb

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

Carol Pizzamom posted:

League has a far better system

LoL is open with how their's work? I thought they were secretive about it as well.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

PerOlus posted:

LoL is open with how their's work? I thought they were secretive about it as well.

Not open, but based on who I talk to the games are more even whereas I cannot tell the difference between DMG-LEM or MG1-MGE, most of my games are stomps one way or the other

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I placed Nova 3 because I never really played 5v5 counter-strike before and when I started (early this year) I actually found the low novas to be harder than when I ranked up through the MG's. The reason is that every game basically had someone raging and throwing/leaving, and a smurf on either my team or the other team, so it was a roll of the dice as I wasn't yet as good or experienced as the DMG+ smurfs

Goons like to act above it all and claim that the ranking system is sacrosanct or something, and maybe you belong in nova if you're nova or whatever, but those ranks are really lovely to play at and if you're not good enough to rise above them then it's not a fun time. I hope it's better with the profile rank 3 requirement nowadays because the 'new player experience' was pretty hilarious then. Also, I think the MM system needs a rework, even League has a far better system

Yeah the rise in quality of games between GNM and MG1-MG2 is insane. In Novas it's smurfs, griefers and ragehackers. MG is so much more fun and you can focus on vibing, fragging and getting better

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I breezed through Nova in like 20 matches so :shrug:

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Why women have different team . in sports its bc men jump higher lift more women more limber do stuff like that . but video games ? not sure

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Carol Pizzamom posted:

On the other hand, a lot of people posting in this thread are regulars; probably 70% of the posts made here are people who are DMG+ and for those players getting out of GN ranks would be fairly easy. Also, there is a thing where people who are GN or whatever assume that the game is less lovely at the high ranks where I believe you just develop a tolerance as you continue playing and after 1400 hours of grinding competitive you're more or less used to the shittiness.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

BurnBlackJay posted:

Why women have different team . in sports its bc men jump higher lift more women more limber do stuff like that . but video games ? not sure

I think this is easily explained by the best CS:GO players having shredded biceps.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

BurnBlackJay posted:

:okpos:

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

symbolic posted:

I went through nova entirely in a win streak, it was at around nova 1 that I ran into exclusively griefers/smurfs/etc. This was in feb/march, IDK what it's like now

BurnBlackJay posted:

I imagine the reason women have their own leagues is because there were so few women that it is intended to increase interest for women getting into these kinds of games. There are no rules against women joining any regular invite team, they just have to be good enough. I think we'll see it one day

Carol Pizzamom fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 14, 2015

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I went through nova entirely in a win streak, it was at around nova 1 that I ran into exclusively griefers/smurfs/etc. This was in feb/march, IDK what it's like now

I imagine the reason women have their own leagues is because there were so few women that it is intended to increase interest for women getting into these kinds of games. There are no rules against women joining any regular invite team, they just have to be good enough. I think we'll see it one day

The said the same of marine core .

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Ranks are worthless. I'm Master Guardian Elite and I'm terrible (Europe too). No matter how badly I do the game refuses to derank me.

BurnBlackJay posted:

Same reason for all game tournaments, to try and break the dick fest, encourage women to get into it.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

BurnBlackJay posted:

The said the same of marine core .

That's a way more complicated issue than a dumb video game

Plus women are allowed to be combat infantry now (Special units can be male only but they have to request an exemption iirc)

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Mega Comrade posted:

Ranks are worthless. I'm Master Guardian Elite and I'm terrible (Europe too). No matter how badly I do the game refuses to derank me.

Same reason for all game tournaments, to try and break the dick fest, encourage women to get into it.

If women would be in the gropes people watch , wouldn't it break a dick fest then ?

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

BurnBlackJay posted:

If women would be in the gropes people watch , wouldn't it break a dick fest then ?

Yeah but I think the CS community, despite being huge dickbags, would be pretty cool with girls being on pro teams, there just aren't any stepping up right now and all the talent seems to go to the women's leagues

I think as it stands right now maybe the top women players in the game could make it in some of the lower tier pro teams, maybe even higher with some practice and experience

I figure when we get the first we'll get some more later, but it'll always be lower so long as women are a small percentage of the playerbase

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

symbolic posted:

I was placed at Nova 1 after my first 10 wins. I got to GNM pretty fast. Now I'm at 31 wins, top the scoreboard most of the time, lost only a handful, and haven't moved :( I want that ak dammit

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fateo McMurray posted:

I was placed at Nova 1 after my first 10 wins. I got to GNM pretty fast. Now I'm at 31 wins, top the scoreboard most of the time, lost only a handful, and haven't moved :( I want that ak dammit
AK isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's where you start running into smurfs who are trying to derank, so they're pretty much dead weight.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

no_funeral posted:

if you aren't getting 1+ FPR in your MM games you're probably at the correct rank

Not that anyone knows for sure but I thought the most prevalent theory is that rank was based off of rounds won or lost and then a weighted number of points won or lost based on what the system predicted would happen and what actually happened.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

symbolic posted:

AK isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's where you start running into smurfs who are trying to derank, so they're pretty much dead weight.

i found ak to be the chillest spot in MM, but I was out of it in like 5 wins because once you learn the very basics and get out of smurf/ragesalt rank you go right up to dmg

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Carol Pizzamom posted:

i found ak to be the chillest spot in MM, but I was out of it in like 5 wins because once you learn the very basics and get out of smurf/ragesalt rank you go right up to dmg
I guess my goal is to be DMG+ before I leave for college. Gives me about a month to git gud.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

symbolic posted:

I guess my goal is to be DMG+ before I leave for college. Gives me about a month to git gud.

do a bunch of 1v1 and pistol/rifle community dm until you get bored before each day you queue comp, you'll be le real fast. remembeR: your heart is distinguished galactical elite

i've also been doing kz yesterday and today and i've found it's good for your general sense of space and movement and getting used to a new sensitivity

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

no_funeral posted:

Or be like me and not know what FPR stands for :v:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Carol Pizzamom posted:

remembeR: your heart is distinguished galactical elite
This is the best thing anyone has ever said to me in this thread.

Seriously though, that is good advice I will take up once I'm back home and off this lovely i3 laptop.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

Beamed posted:

Or be like me and not know what FPR stands for :v:

frags per round

if the game ends at 16-6 aka 22 rounds, and you have less than 22 frags, you're likely at the correct level. not for one game obviously, but over a span of games. especially games you lose. adr(average damage per rnd) is technically a better stat, better yet is the intersection of fpr and adr, but adr isn't easily calculable from MM games unless you make a spreadsheet or something incredibly dumb like that. fpr is flawed on its own because you could be getting lots of final bullet kills on dinked opponents, etc.

seriously though, the number of games where you're going to have teammates that will actually be of any help to you, and not just that they're there to draw fire from your opponents, will be dwarfed by the number of games where they're just okay, or average, or bad, or griefing/trolling etc. so your best bet is to just bootstrap up, make hero plays, and count on your own ability to win rounds.

anyway thats enough words about MM which is a dumb bad game mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

no_funeral posted:

frags per round

if the game ends at 16-6 aka 22 rounds, and you have less than 22 frags, you're likely at the correct level. not for one game obviously, but over a span of games. especially games you lose. adr(average damage per rnd) is technically a better stat, better yet is the intersection of fpr and adr, but adr isn't easily calculable from MM games unless you make a spreadsheet or something incredibly dumb like that. fpr is flawed on its own because you could be getting lots of final bullet kills on dinked opponents, etc.

seriously though, the number of games where you're going to have teammates that will actually be of any help to you, and not just that they're there to draw fire from your opponents, will be dwarfed by the number of games where they're just okay, or average, or bad, or griefing/trolling etc. so your best bet is to just bootstrap up, make hero plays, and count on your own ability to win rounds.

anyway thats enough words about MM which is a dumb bad game mode.

Looks like it's deranking time for this fella, less i get good :tbear:

• Locked thread