Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Tae posted:

Funny thing, most of them still wrestle as recently as a few months ago. Triple HHH is basically the new head of the company. I think Mick Foley wrestled in a different company as far as 2011.

Yeah, HHH is now the mega heel Authority figure (he's also a large part of getting NXT, which loving rules, together) who will take over the company (in real life, not storyline) when Vince retires. Austin makes appearances and has a awesome podcast on the WWE Network and he hinted at a match for next years Mania. Foley, sadly worked for TNA. Taker basically only wrestles during Wrestlemania now and The Rock just pops in from time to time.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
So How2Wrestling is a great show after listening to the 2 episodes, I highly recommend anyone who want to understand it more to get this show a try.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Oh god.
http://spoonyexperiment.com/counter-monkey/counter-monkey-baboon/
Look to the left. Before we know it he's gonna be the next Aurini :ohdear:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, gently caress, that doesn't sound good.

Spoony, no.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

WickedHate posted:

Well, gently caress, that doesn't sound good.

Spoony, no.

It's probably just a plastic skull

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
It's for his show about D&D, having something you see in a fantasy setting is fine since it looks like a set of a cheep fantasy movie for a show about fantasy and RPG's.

the skull guys house makes me think the Droogs hang out there and makes me uncomfortable.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Tracula posted:

Oh god.

If that's how people will react to any toy skull, I'm worried about how the toy skull I've been working on for the past month is going to be received.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

KKall posted:

If that's how people will react to any toy skull, I'm worried about how the toy skull I've been working on for the past month is going to be received.

As long as it's only visible while you're holding it aloft dressed like Hamlet, you should be fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WickedHate posted:

As long as it's only visible while you're holding it aloft dressed like Hamlet, you should be fine.

Guybrush Threepwood is also acceptable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

KKall posted:

Did you cover your bases and put a fedora on it?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

KKall posted:

DON'T TRUST THE SKULL!

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Tracula posted:

Oh god.

I'm not going to watch this, but as long as he's not strategically positioning the skull so it's visible in every shot, he's probably fine.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

senae posted:

I'm not going to watch this, but as long as he's not strategically positioning the skull so it's visible in every shot, he's probably fine.

Unless counter monkey has changed since I stopped watching there only is one shot for the skull to be in.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Unless counter monkey has changed since I stopped watching there only is one shot for the skull to be in.

Counter monkey is just like his other Vlogs, only difference is that he is happy and likes what he is talking about 98% of the time on CM.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

KKall posted:

So you hate women, huh?

:cheeky:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The Nostalgia Critic hasn't contributed to anti-Arab sentiment in post-9/11 America to any meaningful degree, so he's better I'd say.

Do you actually think this is true? Like, legitimately, you think a puppet show has contributed to anti-Arab sentiment? holy poo poo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Do you actually think this is true? Like, legitimately, you think a puppet show has contributed to anti-Arab sentiment? holy poo poo

Do you remember Dunham's act in the early oughts? He rode anti-Muslim sentiment like a fetid wave onto a beach of dollar bills. Guy's scum.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

As an excuse to get back on track Angry Joe released his review of Arkham Knight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buB5pI5w61w

It's pretty fair and honestly many parts seem like a wasted opportunity and way too much WoT battles against mobs of lifeless drones.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Oxxidation posted:

Do you remember Dunham's act in the early oughts? He rode anti-Muslim sentiment like a fetid wave onto a beach of dollar bills. Guy's scum.

I think I was 10 in 2000, but pretty much every single comedian at the time that I was aware of had jokes about terrorists, Muslims, Arabs and the like. Joe Cartoon was a big thing back then. That was the mood of the time.

I was mostly being incredulous that somebody is legitimately saying that the man with a puppet show is contributing to anti-Islamic sentiment in the United States. That's like saying George Carlin contributed to rape culture with his routine about Elmer Fudd taking it up the rear end. It's completely nonsensical. Comedians make jokes based on the times they are in. They aren't contributing to sentiments, they are generally reacting to them.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

I think I was 10 in 2000, but pretty much every single comedian at the time that I was aware of had jokes about terrorists, Muslims, Arabs and the like. Joe Cartoon was a big thing back then. That was the mood of the time.

I was mostly being incredulous that somebody is legitimately saying that the man with a puppet show is contributing to anti-Islamic sentiment in the United States. That's like saying George Carlin contributed to rape culture with his routine about Elmer Fudd taking it up the rear end. It's completely nonsensical. Comedians make jokes based on the times they are in. They aren't contributing to sentiments, they are generally reacting to them.

I'll just leave this here.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ah, his racism is alright because everyone was doing it, gotcha. Being racist isn't contributing to racism, it's a reaction to racism. It's all so clear now!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

KKall posted:

Go the 50 Cent route and make sure to cover it with diamonds.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

I'm of a mind that, if Achmed the Dead Terrorist was introduced earlier, like say 2002 or 2003, and if he was just a one-and-done character, I could let it slide, emotions were riding high and I could see why people would be drawn to it. That he showed up in 2007, that he's still Dunham's most popular character, that he had an animated movie come out last year, that's all pretty distressing.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

They aren't contributing to sentiments, they are generally reacting to them.

They're also reinforcing those sentiments by making light of and joking about them. Do I think George Carlin convinced someone to commit rape because he made a stupid joke? No. But I do think that his joking about rape contributed to making it harder for the criminal to really see how terrible his actions were, and harder for the victim to be taken seriously, because those views are already in place in culture, and instead of trying to dismiss those views people joke about them, which undercuts how serious the crime is.

Thank god I have no idea who Achmed the Dead Terrorist is.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

This discussion is boring and stupid.

You know what isn't boring and stupid? Ishtar Space Cop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28OEdVi-FPo

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

No, you don't understand, it's a puppet! It's too silly and minor. How could such a thing ever be racist?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Dear internet critics on twitter: It's okay. We love you. Your families love you. You don't have to see any more DC movies in the theatres if you don't want to, unless that's your schtick. It's okay, It's not your fault

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

This discussion is boring and stupid.

You know what isn't boring and stupid? Ishtar Space Cop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28OEdVi-FPo

with celebrity cameos! :haw:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dear internet critics on twitter: It's okay. We love you. Your families love you. You don't have to see any more DC movies in the theatres if you don't want to, unless that's your schtick. It's okay, It's not your fault

Where else will I get my "Hack Snyder is an idiot fratboy brojock" fix from?!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jimbot posted:

Where else will I get my "Hack Snyder is an idiot fratboy brojock" fix from?!

I dunno Linkara?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

I do find it funny when non movie reviewers still go see the transformers films still, you know t will be awful why go and be in a bad mood. at least the 4th one had a bright spot in that marky mark is a more entertaining actor in bad films then Shia Lebuff.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

oldman posted:

with celebrity cameos! :haw:
I hope this means we will finally see Patton Oswalt on an episode of Best of the Worst/Half in the Bag

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

KKall posted:

Alas, poor Horatio, you got flesh-eaten by SJW feminist liberals!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

achillesforever6 posted:

I hope this means we will finally see Patton Oswalt on an episode of Best of the Worst/Half in the Bag

This would make me so happy.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cyron posted:

I do find it funny when non movie reviewers still go see the transformers films still, you know t will be awful why go and be in a bad mood. at least the 4th one had a bright spot in that marky mark is a more entertaining actor in bad films then Shia Lebuff.

For once, I agree completely with Cyron.

Like, what are anime or music reviewers doing going to see poo poo movies unrelated to their chosen area? Is it because they're nerd movies? If so, why don't you go see all Adam Sandler movies, because you clearly have a stake in comedy if you make comedic videos on the internet?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Like, what are anime or music reviewers doing going to see poo poo movies unrelated to their chosen area? Is it because they're nerd movies? If so, why don't you go see all Adam Sandler movies, because you clearly have a stake in comedy if you make comedic videos on the internet?

well it can be just because you liked it when you where younger so you want to see how the movie is handled, I guess. I mean if they tweet about it and was dragged to by friends it's fine. but I know I a going to contract my last post but I don't think there is a law for a anime reviewer to talk about the latest super hero film, or a movie reviewer to talk about the latest new video game.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
You guys are assuming that the purpose is to see a movie or further their reviewer career. It's not. It's bonding. Their friends and fans see these movies and bitch about them, so they also see them so they can share some yuks over Twitter. It's not much different than a bunch of people getting together at the bar to complain about work or their SO. I've seen some dreadful poo poo my friends have complained about because it can be fun to talk about. Maybe "fun" isn't quite the right word, but it's kind of just a shared experience. The exact target of the vitriol isn't that important, it's just that the internet reviewer/geek community (as much as it can be called a cohesive community) has collectively agreed Transformers and superhero films are fun things to complain about.

[/amateur sociology]

E: Though if you take this mentality too far you become Spoony.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 14, 2015

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Just because I review anime doesn't mean that's my only interest. I've always been a film buff, I enjoy being part of the conversation when tentpoles air, I like blockbusters and what their evolution and style says about what popular culture is looking for at any given moment, and I also just enjoy watching bad movies. (Though not as much as I enjoy watching good ones. Still, terrible is better than :mediocre:) That being said, Transformers is actually one of the rare franchises I actively avoid because Michael Bay's hate-packed gun-fellating aesthetic makes me feel physically ill. (Pain & Gain is probably the most viscerally unhappy I've felt watching a movie in years, alongside maybe A Million Ways to Die in the West. I hate Seth MacFarlane not quite as passionately but very close.) But I watch the box office and pop charts pretty religiously alongside anime sales in Japan or the US, and I have a fringe interest in what's big on American TV as well, though not as much because there's just not enough time in my day to be into TV alongside anime, popular music and popular/indie movies. I like being a "part of the conversation" in all of those things. Anime is just the one I ended up making a career in.

Anyway, most people have more than one interest. Especially the kind of geeks who pour their lives into media criticism and consumption of media in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

achillesforever6 posted:

They should do a Best of the Worst with Patton Oswalt where the three movies are all movies that he appeared in

• Locked thread