Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cultural Imperial posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/victoria-restaurants-face-chef-shortage-broken-industry-says-restaurateur-1.3148241

Hmmm. If only we had some sort of way to price things according to the wants and desires of individuals. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

And this is why I don't loving patronize small businesses. Get hosed you loving retard. It's almost as if this motherfucker is begging for an underclass of illegal immigrants to abuse.

People aren't willing to pay what good food costs to make and serve, though. That's a very significant problem. That doesn't mean we should forgive the underpayment and other abuse of employees, but it is a serious obstacle to creating a liveable city/town.

Unfortunately, I don't see any way it can be fixed until people learn to tell the difference between Milestone's and something that doesn't taste like boiled rear end, but until that happens I guess I'll be cooking for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

EvilJoven posted:

When the revolution comes these people should be last in line for the guillotine.

Just to buy us time to hang, draw and quarter them, right? Right!!??

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Since the average Canadian's wage has stagnated while the cost of living and inflation have gone up much higher in proportion to their wage, people aren't as readily able to afford what it actually takes to make real food. And chefs and other staff have been the ones bearing most of the economic brunt of the downward pressure on the industry due to that. Lots of this sort of poo poo is knock-on effects from a significant portion of Canadians shifting to lovely, low paying, and low quality jobs

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Mederlock posted:

Since the average Canadian's wage has stagnated while the cost of living and inflation have gone up much higher in proportion to their wage, people aren't as readily able to afford what it actually takes to make real food. And chefs and other staff have been the ones bearing most of the economic brunt of the downward pressure on the industry due to that. Lots of this sort of poo poo is knock-on effects from a significant portion of Canadians shifting to lovely, low paying, and low quality jobs

but no you see, canadians are wealthier than ever because of their real estate holdings and they just need to unlock that wealth with credit cards, HELOCs and reverse mortgages

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mederlock posted:

I agree completely; The amount we pay the people who prepare our (often very good) food is disgraceful, even in comparison to other fairly disgraceful industries. The tipping system that we use to compensate waitstaff is also absolutely hosed, and the "tip-out" system doubly so. It was a loving miracle in Spain, being able to leave a tip for good service and actually have it be appreciated and go to the server that earned it, especially knowing that everyone was already being paid adequately.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So his co-founder (and only actual chef) is spending 90hrs a week trying to keep this bitch afloat because they can't find a chef on salary + tips who is capable of actually delivering.

That dude is grinding 90 hours a week for some reason, I assume that other potential employees would have the same reason. Either it's ownership (and the ability to make decisions) or equity. If you don't have the money to pay the best salary, there are other levers you can move.

Sounds like they should be looking to build a co-operative or partnership model instead of just hiring seasonal employees and complaining their labour input cost is too high in raw salary. I'm sure some chef would love to sign on for 6 months in exchange of, say, 5% of ongoing profits and the ability to influence the business direction.

I know, I know, restaurants don't work that way, but in my experience most of what new restaurants do is go down in flames when they discover they can't keep paying the bills with ego. Maybe it's time for the business side of the partnership to do some loving business.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 13, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/CdnMortgageNews/status/620437788316536832

lol

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I just moved from Victoria. The reason Foo is having trouble is because he charges $8.00 for a Viet pork belly sub.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Obviously you don't understand what good food is worth.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jan posted:

Just to buy us time to hang, draw and quarter them, right? Right!!??

Nah, just so the blade is nice and dull by the time their turn comes up.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Canadian bubble so unlike the USA one.

I like how they even did the poo poo and gold mixing for the secularization of mortgage loans.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Mantle posted:

I just moved from Victoria. The reason Foo is having trouble is because he charges $8.00 for a Viet pork belly sub.

Victoria, the home of UVic-trust-fund-encouraged $16 artisanal hot dogs?

The prices for stuff on the island make the gouging in the rest of Canada seem almost palatable. They better hope the waves of retirees from Alberta like to eat out.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 13, 2015

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Rime posted:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/162350160468834?view=permalink&id=861310620572781&ref=m_notif%ACif_t=group_comment_follow

I love babies living off their families dime so they can stay in the "best place on earth".

Lol, someone actually advised she seek employment at fuckin' hootsuite.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

PT6A posted:

People aren't willing to pay what good food costs to make and serve, though. That's a very significant problem. That doesn't mean we should forgive the underpayment and other abuse of employees, but it is a serious obstacle to creating a liveable city/town.

Unfortunately, I don't see any way it can be fixed until people learn to tell the difference between Milestone's and something that doesn't taste like boiled rear end, but until that happens I guess I'll be cooking for myself.

What does it cost though, how do you realistically set that level? I'm eating the best tasting and prepared food in my life, at amazing restaurants, and the most I've paid in one night was $20 and that included some totally baller wine service. To eat food this good in Vancouver would be well over $100/person at the table. (and then the portions would be pathetically tiny because you'd be at one of those pretentious as gently caress restaurants).

The problem is goods and services in The West have inflated their costs past the point of reality and entirely out of sync with what anyone there can afford to pay on a regular basis. So businesses die. They'll continue to die as the personal debt level taps out for more and more Canadians and jobs continue to pay less and less money.

Now understand, I'm not ignorant of the costs of operating when I ask this. I'm saying that, from the very bottom of the supply chain all the way to space rental, costs are out of touch with reality.

Rime fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 13, 2015

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

What does it cost though, how do you realistically set that level? I'm eating the best tasting and prepared food in my life, at amazing restaurants, and the most I've paid in one night was $20 and that included some totally baller wine service. To eat food this good in Vancouver would be well over $100/person at the table.

The problem is goods and services in The West have inflated their costs past the point of reality and entirely out of sync with what anyone there can afford to pay on a regular basis. So businesses die. They'll continue to die as the personal debt level taps out for more and more Canadians and jobs continue to pay less and less money.

wait until captain white trash discovers the big mac index.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Rime posted:

What does it cost though, how do you realistically set that level? I'm eating the best tasting and prepared food in my life, at amazing restaurants, and the most I've paid in one night was $20 and that included some totally baller wine service. To eat food this good in Vancouver would be well over $100/person at the table. (and then the portions would be pathetically tiny because you'd be at one of those pretentious as gently caress restaurants).

Now understand, I'm not ignorant of the costs of operating when I ask this. I'm saying that, from the very bottom of the supply chain all the way to space rental, costs are out of touch with reality.

It probably helps that in the place where you paid $20 in one night, the kitchen is infested with rats, no one cleans anything, and there is barely an excuse for a health code or investigators or licenses or anything. Keeps costs down, and its the least "visible" thing (unless you do actually get sick) for businesses to cut back on.

But thanks for your insight on how Canada should be more like a third world post-USSR STALKER-esque country

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Melian Dialogue posted:

It probably helps that in the place where you paid $20 in one night, the kitchen is infested with rats, no one cleans anything, and there is barely an excuse for a health code or investigators or licenses or anything. Keeps costs down, and its the least "visible" thing (unless you do actually get sick) for businesses to cut back on.

But thanks for your insight on how Canada should be more like a third world post-USSR STALKER-esque country

Or that the locals likely make $5-$10 a day.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Melian Dialogue posted:

Yeah, no, not in the slightest. Apt description of Bons off Broadway in Vancouver though!

But please continue to pretend you have any understanding of the world outside your laughable preconceptions. How little you know, sweet young child, how little you know.

Edit: PT6A, you should go to Tbilisi sometime. I know you like wine, spirits, and good food, you'd love it here. I have always hated wine but my god, the stuff they make in Georgia is off the chain delicious. And cheap. So cheap.

Rime fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 13, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Melian Dialogue posted:

Uh, prices in Sweden range between 12 and 40$ and we're super strict on code and have higher salaries for service personal than most countries.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rime posted:

Pretty much everything is way more expensive in Canada. Good ingredients? More expensive. Transportation costs? More expensive. Labour? Way more expensive. Rent in a desirable location? That's probably the biggest factor, too: very, very expensive!

I'd say there's pretty much no way you can get good food for under $20/plate (without drinks) in Calgary, and it's probably much the same throughout Canada. The economics simply aren't there. The problem is that people aren't willing to pay that, because they look at going out to a restaurant as a replacement for being able to cook a proper meal at home in a lot of cases (I admit I've been doing this more than I should lately, but that's because I just can't bear to heat up my apartment any further by cooking something).

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
PT6A only leaves his fetid darkened condo for the finest Grand Cru and caviar, unlike you plebs.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm eating smoked black sea caviar as I type this. It cost the same as a Big Mac meal in BC. :smuggo:

Rime fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 13, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Decoy Badger posted:

PT6A only leaves his fetid darkened condo for the finest Grand Cru and caviar, unlike you plebs.

Name me one good restaurant in Calgary where you can get in and out for under $20 (including tax and a decent tip), and I'll concede the point. You don't need to be eating caviar and drinking grand cru to spend a lot of money on food here. Under $20, your options are basically fast food or pub food -- each of which has its place, but neither of which can be said to be objectively good.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
You could order just a water and an appetizer but when we go out we generally do three courses minimum and two drinks each.

There's no margin on $10 meals so you'd need to be doing a ton of volume and even then it probably wont work out.

Most people don't get to enjoy a three hour experience at a nice restaurant because they say it costs too much but we only go out once or twice a month since we do all the rest of our meals at home from scratch. Most people still spend twice our restaurant budget on poo poo food at $20 increments because they are children who can't cook.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 13, 2015

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Rime posted:

I'm eating smoked black sea caviar as I type this. It cost the same as a Big Mac meal in BC. :smuggo:

how much is the avg income where you are vs. how much you're spending?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mantle posted:

Pretty sure the Bahn Mi is generally more than $8. Typically $8.50 + tax. That is the most affordable thing on the menu. $13 Canadian dollars for some drat beef + broccoli.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

JawKnee posted:

how much is the avg income where you are vs. how much you're spending?

Average monthly wage in Georgia is 855 GEL (roughly $425 CAD), I've spent 435 GEL ($218 CAD) in 17 days.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

PT6A posted:

Pretty much everything is way more expensive in Canada. Good ingredients? More expensive. Transportation costs? More expensive. Labour? Way more expensive. Rent in a desirable location? That's probably the biggest factor, too: very, very expensive!

I'd say there's pretty much no way you can get good food for under $20/plate (without drinks) in Calgary, and it's probably much the same throughout Canada. The economics simply aren't there. The problem is that people aren't willing to pay that, because they look at going out to a restaurant as a replacement for being able to cook a proper meal at home in a lot of cases (I admit I've been doing this more than I should lately, but that's because I just can't bear to heat up my apartment any further by cooking something).
Even the chain restaurants are getting bad. I went to a GTA Montanas a few months ago and all the entrees averaged about $15.00 before tax, tip or drink. A burger and beer would have cost me $25.00 when all was said and done. gently caress that.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

unlimited shrimp posted:

Even the chain restaurants are getting bad. I went to a GTA Montanas a few months ago and all the entrees averaged about $15.00 before tax, tip or drink. A burger and beer would have cost me $25.00 when all was said and done. gently caress that.

You went to Montana's for a burger :laugh:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Whatever came out of Bons on Broadway stiffing its employees?

I am pretty certain I know this answer.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

jm20 posted:

You went to Montana's for a burger :laugh:
It was in the same plaza as the theater where we were seeing Avengers 2 :effort:

All in all, I would have been better off just burning the money I spent that night.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Can you post pictures of your condo? I'm doing a thing in GBS and it'd add some authenticity to the gag :thumbsup:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
How do you physically manage to eat three courses at a restaurant?

I just get a main, and either water or a coke, and I'm almost always under $20, maybe a bit more after the tip.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Can you post pictures of your condo? I'm doing a thing in GBS and it'd add some authenticity to the gag :thumbsup:

I can, but I won't.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yes yes.. burn it all... (Marda Loop Calgary apparently)

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Rime posted:

Yeah, no, not in the slightest. Apt description of Bons off Broadway in Vancouver though!

But please continue to pretend you have any understanding of the world outside your laughable preconceptions. How little you know, sweet young child, how little you know.

Edit: PT6A, you should go to Tbilisi sometime. I know you like wine, spirits, and good food, you'd love it here. I have always hated wine but my god, the stuff they make in Georgia is off the chain delicious. And cheap. So cheap.

You're like one of those retards who did study abroad for a year, got drunk and skipped class, and come back with this superior righteousness over how worldly they are. Except you're just some white dude who's been in a foreign country for a few weeks.

Its like every post you can't help but mention your retarded trip that was based on a ponytail sadbrains excuse for a breakup. Nobody cares, its more sad to see you try and sneak in a mention of your dumb trip than when PT6A talks british or about cigars. Also, if you're just SOOOO engrossed in the local culture why do you still post here as often as you did before? Jesus christ, its sad that inbetween your amazing trip you have to let your e-friends keep up to date. Post about it again in GBS, Im sure itll go over just as well as it did before.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...rticle25482492/

quote:

Home Capital plunges most since 2008 as new mortgages decline

As one of Canada’s largest alternative mortgage lenders, Home Capital Group Inc. is a popular target for investors looking to short the Canadian housing market.

Nearly 20 per cent of Home Capital’s free float is shorted, making it the fourth most-shorted stock in Canada, according to Bloomberg. These housing bears have been burned by Home Capital’s stock in the past, which had risen on the strength of the Canadian real estate market. But Monday’s plunge in the company’s share price went in their favour for a change, sending the stock price to its lowest level in nearly two years.

Home Capital’s shares fell almost 19 per cent Monday on news that the volume of single-family mortgages applications plummeted 27 per cent in the second quarter from a year earlier – even as home prices continued to soar in major markets.

The company sold $1.6-billion in new mortgages in the second quarter, well below the $2.5-billion that some analysts had predicted. It was the second straight quarter Home Capital has missed analysts’ expectations.

Company officials blamed increased competition for the mortgage business, particularly for prime borrowers, along with Home Capital’s cautious approach to issuing new mortgages amid falling oil prices and a sinking Canadian dollar.

Home Capital also said it ended relationships with some mortgage brokers after an internal review, which “caused an immediate drop in originations.”

Sources familiar with the company’s mortgage broker business say Home Capital cut ties with several brokers in Ontario, its largest market, after an internal audit found some brokers weren’t providing proper documentation for new mortgage applications. Company officials did not reply to requests to comment.

“It’s just a good, intelligent approach if you’re questioning the type of client information that’s being brought to you,” said mortgage broker Ron Butler, who does business with Home Capital. “This is something that Home Capital can recover from very quickly.”

The company said despite the drop in mortgage originations, it was keeping its target of 8-per-cent to 13-per-cent annual growth in diluted earnings per share in the medium term, and expected to report diluted earnings per share of $1.03 for the second quarter, down from $1.05 in the same period last year.

“We are confident that the steps we have taken in the first half of 2015 were necessary to ensure the continued long-term profitability of our business, in spite of the short-term impact on originations,” chief executive officer Gerald Soloway said in a statement. Originations had begun to rebound toward the end of the quarter, he added.

However, several analysts slashed their ratings on Home Capital, warning the company’s growth estimates were too optimistic. “We expect the competitive prime mortgage environment, macro concerns and changes to its broker relationships to constrain total originations over the next six to 12 months,” wrote Macquarie Capital Markets Canada Ltd.’s Asim Imran in cutting his target share price by 20 per cent to $44.

The bulk of Home Capital’s mortgage business comes from uninsured mortgages to borrowers who have been turned down by the major banks or other traditional lenders, often home buyers with tarnished credit, self-employed workers or new immigrants. The company’s uninsured mortgage business dropped 16 per cent in the second quarter from a year earlier.

The company’s lower-margin prime mortgage business, which lends to higher-quality borrowers who qualify for mortgage insurance, took the biggest hit. Home Capital said it originated $280-million in insured mortgages in the second quarter, down 55 per cent from $619.6-million in the same period last year.

Home Capital’s shares have fallen from a high of $55 last fall on investors’ concerns that lower oil prices would hurt the country’s housing market. But analysts shrugged off concerns that Home Capital’s sinking share price was a warning sign of an impending home price correction.

“We think this is an HCG-specific growth issue,” wrote Royal Bank of Canada analyst Geoffrey Kwan, “not an early signal of rising losses or broader housing stress.”

Hate boner: rising

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The canadian creative class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9XKLqGqwLA

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Because it sends you and others into a frothing rage regardless of anecdotal relevance.

Much like how you can't help but remind people in every post that you're painfully retarded (despite your fresh account, Swagger), but you don't see me working up a sweat about it.

:dealwithit:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Moody's predicts over the next 18 months the decaying economy will force Canadian banks to take on even more high risk poo poo assets:
http://business.financialpost.com/news/fp-street/canadas-banks-face-deteriorating-assets-amid-low-oil-prices-slowing-economy-moodys