Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

I think Sigmar is a definite in-universe historical figure, it's like the Empire humans were all worshipping Charlemagne-Conan-Jesus

This calls to mind the Hardcore History episode where supposedly you see Viking Jesus turn into a war god as part of the post-Fall-of-Rome integration of Christianity with Norse mythology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Did this also happen during the reign of John Wick?

It was under Ree Sosebee, who may as well have been his handpicked successor. He still had some story influence at the time, but it's not clear how much. (He was moving on to 7th Sea around then.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
See, all I'm taking away from this is that whether the card game came first or not, L5R RPG fans aren't wrong to not want the card game's metaplot encroaching on the RPG because the metaplot sounds dumb as hell.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

This is true but the CCG makes about a zillion more dollars than the RPG, so you either have to lump it or just use one of the awesome alternate settings from Imperial Histories, which you should probably do anyway.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Or alternatively play the 4th Edition of the RPG which has no built in metaplot.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

This is true but the CCG makes about a zillion more dollars than the RPG, so you either have to lump it or just use one of the awesome alternate settings from Imperial Histories, which you should probably do anyway.

It's just that at first people were making it out to be like the TRPG contingent were being dumb and irrational turbonerds angry that a CCG existed and was popular but every time anyone goes into detail about the L5R ongoing CCG metaplot it sounds like a complete loving trainwreck. It's like an ongoing version of Games Workshops' attempts at holding player-driven events where they already have the story in mind and then get pissy when the players go and do something else, right down to "rewarding" people by killing beloved faction characters. I wouldn't want anything to do with that either.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Iron Rokugan it is!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dr. Tough posted:

Or alternatively play the 4th Edition of the RPG which has no built in metaplot.

It's there, just deemphasized.

There have been attempts to give the RPG players more voice, particularly through the Winter Court events, but it's relatively token compared to the CCG.

And boy, everything I mentioned is just just the tip of the iceberg in regard to how kooky the metaplot gets, folks.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Like the time the entire Scorpion Clan was banished to a different card game.

(Burning Sands was actually pretty cool, but it's entirely forgotten now.)

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's there, just deemphasized.

There have been attempts to give the RPG players more voice, particularly through the Winter Court events, but it's relatively token compared to the CCG.

And boy, everything I mentioned is just just the tip of the iceberg in regard to how kooky the metaplot gets, folks.

It's there, but it's completely optional. The main book lists off various centuries that can be played in and one is literally just "no metaplot"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Night10194 posted:

Also, they cost 50 USD per pack of 5, with the implication you'll need 20-30 of them. This is meant to be a skirmish game with a small buy-in and outside of the starter set, a decent unit of Sigmarines costs like 200-300 dollars.
Is there a reason why GW charges such insane prices for its minis other than "Because we can, gently caress you"? They're plastic now, aren't they? I can buy a bag of about 100 plastic WW2 soldiers online for less than £2, so exactly what makes GW's stuff jewel-like objects of wonder?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Payndz posted:

Is there a reason why GW charges such insane prices for its minis other than "Because we can, gently caress you"?

That's basically the entire reason, actually.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Where's the Shinjo bushi school in core, then? :colbert:

Seriously, tho, there is a bit of slippage; for example, the Spider Clan in the core is presumed to be a quiet conspiracy, while by Great Clans they're out in the open. And there are books like Strongholds of the Empire or Second City that presume you're playing in the (then) current CCG period. Granted, it's much more inclusive that previous editions, but there is still a bit of a ignorable bias towards CCG events.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Payndz posted:

Is there a reason why GW charges such insane prices for its minis other than "Because we can, gently caress you"? They're plastic now, aren't they?

Some companies straight-up overcharge for their products; Sirlin Games comes to mind, to be blunt.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Payndz posted:

Is there a reason why GW charges such insane prices for its minis other than "Because we can, gently caress you"?

Nope, that's the reason. They think no one is competing with them and thus they can charge as much as they want.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Despite cutbacks, GW's business model has ridiculous amounts of overhead for a game company. Because they own and operate a chain of retail outlets!

On the other hand, they get to sell their products from those retail outlets (and their website) at full retail price, rather than what most game companies have to do: sell their products entirely at wholesale price to distributors, who then take a cut and sell them to retailers, who then add ~40% to 60% margin and sell at retail price, in order to stay in business.

So that's not an actual excuse.

GW likely has entrenched production techniques that cost more than they should. GW is also profitable enough to pay dividends (which as I've written before is pretty questionable).

So it really just boils down to, GW's prices are so high because GW's customers are willing to pay that much. And GW doesn't care that it could sell a much higher volume if they lowered their prices. Of course they do no market research so any test to see how much more they'd sell if they lowered prices would be based on how well a specific box of miniatures sold when they offered it for less than what their calculations told them would be the normal price, so if they tried the experiment with a unit that was less popular because, say, its rules sucked in the game or the sculpts were ugly, they might come to the wrong conclusion about their pricing models.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ha-ha "might"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I really feel for WHFB fans- having a game you're so invested in (both emotionally and financially) unceremoniously taken out back and shot to be replaced with, frankly, poo poo, well, that's got to be pretty awful.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm amazed anybody puts up with it. I mean, I literally can't think of a company that treats their fans more badly. It's like watching people line up to get punched in the face. It defies belief.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

George Lucas' treatment of Star Wars fans came pretty close

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like in competent hands, they could have been the next Star Wars.

If a setting has so much draw that people will be willing to put up with GW, just imagine what it would be like through a company that didn't hate them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Tough posted:

That's honestly a bit of butthurt revisionist history, really...That's actually been brought up in the Star Wars thread over in CineD over the last couple days, and isn't quite as true as it gets parroted.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

jivjov posted:

That's honestly a bit of butthurt revisionist history, really...That's actually been brought up in the Star Wars thread over in CineD over the last couple days, and isn't quite as true as it gets parroted.

If you start talking about it you'll summon SMG and he'll come here to tell us about how The Age of Sigmar is actually a paean to worker's rights and the most progressive game to be published...ever.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well if there's any place on the internet I'd trust to set the record straight on movies it's Cinema Discusso.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kai Tave posted:

Well if there's any place on the internet I'd trust to set the record straight on movies it's Cinema Discusso.

Yeah, I'm not inclined to set metaphorical foot in that muck to dig up a grain of value. A quick summary or link to where the discussion starts, please?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dr. Tough posted:

George Lucas' treatment of his own films has been awful. But his treatment of fans has been pretty great. He's always been highly supportive of fan-made Star Wars content, for example, actively encouraging fans to do their fanfilms and stuff, the whole cosplay scene, all that. Which stands in stark contrast with GW, who send C&Ds and actively sue fans for daring to sully their IP.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Leperflesh posted:

George Lucas' treatment of his own films has been awful. But his treatment of fans has been pretty great. He's always been highly supportive of fan-made Star Wars content, for example, actively encouraging fans to do their fanfilms and stuff, the whole cosplay scene, all that. Which stands in stark contrast with GW, who send C&Ds and actively sue fans for daring to sully their IP.

Yeah, this is the core of it.

There's this weird mythology built up that Lucas makes tweaks and changes to his films to actively spite fans, and that the prequel movies were intentionally poorly made, and that everything good in Star Wars came from one of the other people working on the saga.

By his own admission, Lucas doesn't work well with people. He's the "ideas guy" and really needs a good crew to handle other duties.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah, I'm not inclined to set metaphorical foot in that muck to dig up a grain of value. A quick summary or link to where the discussion starts, please?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514675&pagenumber=601&perpage=40#post447656368

Here's a good one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

This is a really good point honestly.

jivjov posted:

Yeah, this is the core of it.

There's this weird mythology built up that Lucas makes tweaks and changes to his films to actively spite fans, and that the prequel movies were intentionally poorly made, and that everything good in Star Wars came from one of the other people working on the saga.

By his own admission, Lucas doesn't work well with people. He's the "ideas guy" and really needs a good crew to handle other duties.

I don't think that George Lucas made his weird special editions to troll his fans or something but I do think it's pretty weird of him to do so and then really dig his heels in about re-releasing the unadulterated versions. Plenty of directors have stories about what might have been versus the movie that actually got released, but few of them actually tried to retcon their own movies decades after the fact.

Whatever you might say to try and compare George Lucas to GW, which I don't think is a fruitful comparison, the salient fact remains that when GW put a stake in Warhammer Fantasy they basically gave a middle finger to customers of theirs who sunk hundreds to thousands of dollars into a game that's now going to be increasingly difficult for them to play given that it won't have store shelf presence to help get new players into things, it won't get any sort of official updates to try and straighten out the half-assed rules, and the new game is essentially completely incompatible with the old in every way. Meanwhile it's a lot less onerous to simply say "I'd like to watch the original Star Wars trilogy" and do so, and chances are it probably didn't cost you thousands of dollars and dozens of man-hours to painstaking assemble your copy.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Gravy Train Robber posted:

If you start talking about it you'll summon SMG and he'll come here to tell us about how The Age of Sigmar is actually a paean to worker's rights and the most progressive game to be published...ever.

The Cinema Discusso thread has me hyped to re-watch the prequels. Wish me luck.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I believe in you.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The first thing you'll notice is that the acting in the prequels is even worse than you remember.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I don't think anyone sincerely believed Lucas burns with a seething hatred for the fans who made him a success. But you don't need to believe he's malicious to acknowledge that his post-trilogy creative decisions has been a frustrating pain in the rear end of those fans.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

moths posted:

I don't think anyone sincerely believed Lucas burns with a seething hatred for the fans who made him a success. But you don't need to believe he's malicious to acknowledge that his post-trilogy creative decisions has been a frustrating pain in the rear end of those fans.

This was basically my point. I don't think that Lucas is as bad as GW, hence the "pretty close". Someone pointed out that GW is overly protective of their IP, Lucas was kind of the opposite where the Star Wars EU was such a mess that Disney just swept it all away rather than try and comb through and fix it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's just weird that someone would spend any effort debunking what's obviously frustrated hyperbole. Of course he doesn't hate his fans.

Actually... that's not weird at all, that's nerd culture + internet.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Dr. Tough posted:

This was basically my point. I don't think that Lucas is as bad as GW, hence the "pretty close". Someone pointed out that GW is overly protective of their IP, Lucas was kind of the opposite where the Star Wars EU was such a mess that Disney just swept it all away rather than try and comb through and fix it.

Lucasfilm had a story group that reviewed EU works before they went to the presses. With 25+ years of EU of course Disney had to relegate the EU to Legends (which it already basically was, Lucasfilm had levels of canon anyway that didn't put the books on the same level as the films).

Lucasfilm wasn't really the opposite of GW in any respect. GW is only protecting their IP to make money from gamers. Lucasfilm worked closely with EU authors to keep a sort of b-canon going for a long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

edit: VVV yeah Legends is a really cool setup

alg fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 14, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The trick of Star Wars EU though, is that before Disney the story group was just there for guidance and had to retcon a lot of stuff after the fact. Now, post-Disney, the story group has explicit authority to maintain one unified continuity, and all the non-film stuff is considered to have the same canonical weight as the films.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sorry to take away from Star Wars chat but I have a question that I hope this thread can answer. I know that when Maelstorm went belly up they left a whole lot of orders unfilled and made off with customer money that should have been used to fill them. Is Mierce Miniatures made up of the people who actually stole from Maelstorm's customers or are they just a company that purchased the sculpts after liquidation, or some third more complicated option?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
In other TG industry news, Ken Whitman of d20 Entertainment blocked Jolly Blackburn from the KODT Live Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/jolly.blackburn/posts/10203949857901408

Why does this matter? Jolly Blackburn runs Kenzer Company, the people that own the Knights of the Dinner Table. The KODT web series is supposed to have a screening at Gen Con this year. It will be very interesting if Ken shows up for it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ken Whitman and d20 Entertainment came up before (I think in last month's chat thread); he's got a ridiculously bad reputation. He threatened to sue RPGNet a few years ago because people were talking about how he didn't fulfill his business obligations or something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Does Jolly have a good reputation? I always loved KODT.

• Locked thread