Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

DropShadow posted:

This passed me today. Apologies for the horrible photo, but it's the best I could do shooting from the backseat through the windshield. Early-2000s Chevy extended cab (at a forward rake) on top of some unknown frame, separated by a couple feet of WTF. No bed. Taillights are floating on an iron bar. Exhaust pipes above the bumper. Gas tank held in by straps behind the cab.

It's the pickup version of an open sided shipping container.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

DropShadow posted:

This passed me today. Apologies for the horrible photo, but it's the best I could do shooting from the backseat through the windshield. Early-2000s Chevy extended cab (at a forward rake) on top of some unknown frame, separated by a couple feet of WTF. No bed. Taillights are floating on an iron bar. Exhaust pipes above the bumper. Gas tank held in by straps behind the cab.

That car is simply the humble beginnings of this:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

thetechnoloser posted:

It's stupid Tron poo poo.

I didn't even notice the pinstripes until you mentioned it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

1500quidporsche posted:

I've got no clue why but the fact that there were four chrysler badges on the grille really pissed me off.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1992 "packard" crown vic

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Powershift posted:

1992 "packard" crown vic

I always wonder if the owner feels self-conscious about driving the equivalent of this:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It says he's 92 years old, so maybe he didn't know it wasn't just a regular crown vic.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Gonna go against the hivemind and say that that car is pretty cool.

Like, it's so awful that it loops back around to being awesome. The aero-vic is pretty hideous anyway :colbert:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 13, 2015

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Terrible Robot posted:

Gonna go against the hivemind and say that that car is pretty cool.

Like, it's so awful that it loops back around to being awesome. The aero-vic is pretty hideous anyway :colbert:

I'd drive it with a more obnoxious paint job.

:catdrugs:

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

InitialDave posted:

Please be a custom exhaust stack...
Nope.

I saw this nut back in 2012 in Madison. It looks like they changed it up a bit since then:
http://imgur.com/a/my7wj

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!
Oh lord. At least he is fully vested in his beliefs. Not that it isn't ridiculous and ostentatious but it's good that he gives you fair warning.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

He really should make it his exhaust with flappers on all of the ends.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Powershift posted:

1992 "packard" crown vic

It would be better if the grille was stretched out into a cow catcher type thing from the front of a train

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The thread will never be the same after this. I present to you -- the world's worst S-Class Mercedes. Brought to you by B.B BIG K:

Make sure to click the thumbnails to truly appreciate the grandeur of this fine beast. I have seen it for the past couple years in passing, always thinking it was a hallucination. Today this unicorn was parked at the local Meijer. I'm still covered with goosebumps.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's like when I was a kid and EVERYTHING HAD TO BY SYMMETRICAL AND IN PATTERNS.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
holy loving poo poo that is a lot of pepboys chrome.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm just shocked those headlights are still clear and not yellowed.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm going to put two grocery bags/$18.49 worth of lovely chrome plastic all over my car, but BY GOD, I'm going to do it well

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The wheels should be more chrome.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Chrome plate the tires :unsmigghh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Code Jockey posted:

Chrome plate the tires :unsmigghh:
You will slide eternal through the gates of Valhalla!

Or a ditch. Probably a ditch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Linedance posted:

I'm just shocked those headlights are still clear and not yellowed.

I'm shocked they haven't been covered with chrome bits. I knew a guy who put strips of vinyl on his headlights because "it helps to better focus them."

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm going to put two grocery bags/$18.49 worth of lovely chrome plastic all over my car, but BY GOD, I'm going to do it well

Yeah, that's not even it...I used to work at Advance, and to buy all that poo poo at my store would have cost probably $300 - 400. Those fender vents are like $20 each (I see 4), the porthole set is another $20, who knows what the rest of that poo poo cost...

He spent hundreds of dollars on that :psyduck:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
We start out with a note from the bodywork and appearance modifications group

Then on to the suspension upgrades

This gentleman has not painted ALL the poor choices he has made in a garish color, only some of them, so see if you can spot the rest.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

kastein posted:

Then on to the suspension upgrades

This gentleman has not painted ALL the poor choices he has made in a garish color, only some of them, so see if you can spot the rest.

I know nothing about 4x4s, despite your best efforts, and yet even I figure it would be quicker to list the things that aren't hosed up on that thing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kastein posted:

:stare: Oh god those welds (can those even actually be called welds?).

E: Are those shocks in the last picture fully compressed while it's just sitting there?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yes.

I like the dangling signal bulb in the foreground as well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Oh jesus here's another one, again cribbed from the pirate4x4 hack fab thread.

is that...? Am I actually seeing this...? :stonk:

:psyboom: yes.

Compare the track bar and drag link angles.

This truck is going to have the worlds worst bumpsteer, because when the suspension compresses the track bar and drag link will push in opposite directions.

Someone paid TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS to have this built by a "professional custom shop".

I am in the wrong business. Jesus christ almighty.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm sure that they have applied the worlds simplest solution to the bump steer. Springs and shocks so stiff that the suspension can't actually compress! :v:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah, uh, won't that try to twist the whole front axle relative to the chassis, or just bind/break?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Nope, fortunately not. One of those goes to the pitman arm on the steering box, the other goes to the track bar mount. So when the suspension compresses, the track bar will cause the axle to move to the left somewhat (alright, a lot, because the angle is poo poo too) relative to the chassis. At the same time, if the driver is holding the wheel steady, the angle of the drag link going down will cause the steering knuckles to be pushed to the right. So instead of how it's supposed to be (the drag link and track bar roughly the same length and as close to parallel as possible, or at least in the same plane, so that the effective steering change as the suspension cycles is minimized even if the axle moves somewhat side to side under the truck) it's the absolute worst case.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

kastein posted:

My imagination can be a real pain in the rear end. I can't stop hearing that thing fall the gently caress apart. Crispy metally rust noises.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

kastein posted:

Nope, fortunately not. One of those goes to the pitman arm on the steering box, the other goes to the track bar mount. So when the suspension compresses, the track bar will cause the axle to move to the left somewhat (alright, a lot, because the angle is poo poo too) relative to the chassis. At the same time, if the driver is holding the wheel steady, the angle of the drag link going down will cause the steering knuckles to be pushed to the right. So instead of how it's supposed to be (the drag link and track bar roughly the same length and as close to parallel as possible, or at least in the same plane, so that the effective steering change as the suspension cycles is minimized even if the axle moves somewhat side to side under the truck) it's the absolute worst case.

Ah, ok I see it now. Yeah, wow, that will steer really really sharply with any bump.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Saw this the other day when I went out for lunch.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

kastein posted:

What is the hydraulic ram for?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I like to think that, since it is severely under-braked for the rotating mass they added with those ginormous tires, the front suspension is actually in place the way it is to act as a crumple zone for when the idiot driver tries to stop, can't, and runs into someone's midsize sedan, tires-first.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Oh jesus here's another one, again cribbed from the pirate4x4 hack fab thread.

is that...? Am I actually seeing this...? :stonk:

:psyboom: yes.

I realize it's probably just hidden behind a coil spring, but I can't see the front driveshaft and I like imagining that it's actually a dummy axle and the truck's 2WD.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

rdb posted:

There are a series of suspension compression and geometry monitors that feed into a computer that uses the ram to automatically counteract the bump steer.

(Not really. I wonder what it's doing there, too)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's probably the world's ghettoest steering stabilizer.

poo poo PAW THIS THING DONE KICK LIKE A MULE WHEN I DRIVE OVER BUMPS

GET ON THE JC WHITNEY CATALOG SON

http://www.jcwhitney.com/hydraulic-steering-stabilizers/p2006042.jcwx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

rdb posted:

It's a hydraulic assist ram, tapped in to the power steering box. It extends/compresses when the driver turns the steering wheel, providing some extra oomph to move the tires. The hoses are tapped into passages in the steering box such that turning to the right forces fluid to extend the ram, and turning to the left compresses the ram. Completely standard modification these days for big tire 4x4s. Except these guys will have reversed the hoses so that it fights the driver's input.

The thing that gets me is they clearly have tons of room to put the track bar in the correct orientation to match the draglink. There's no visible obstructions to running it from the driver's side jungle-gym to passenger side axle truss. Absolutely strange.