Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

DF 2015: Dwarf Dwarf Revolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
We're like one step from a dwarf reddit.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Seriously I fully expect Toady to add some form of Dwarven procedurally generated social media. Like a discussion board operated by your engravers. Or it could be literally threaded and run by your weavers.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

BetterLekNextTime posted:

We're like one step from a dwarf reddit.

Nah, Dwarf Fortress is way more progressive than Reddit. Reddit probably thinks Toady is a SJW.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
Well, speaking of reddit and randomly generated social media, I had just found this today:
http://www.reddit.com/user/dwarffortress_SS
Markov-chain generated dwarf fortress comments! I'm having a hard time not quoting a full 50% of them.

quote:

-I'm at a loss here. The dwarf was off duty military, he dodged and fell into the well at a party and her corpse went careening down into the second layer.

-Next thing I know everyone pours out of the first year, maybe that is why after you kill someone you will see them much less often.

-Knock through to the cavern layer, dig out a whole floor and designate it as a bin-forbidden soap stockpile. Oh I've no idea what Dwarf Fortress is...

-Imagine if Dwarf Fortress had dropping gay dwarves in magma before it was legal in all of the injured will make it clean. Not done any think like this before so I don't get injured dwarves often enough, and when I'm not doing anything atm, I shouldnt be paid for that.

-EDIT: Only one marksdwarf is training, the other mines, and then they all died to undead falcons again. Other made adventure mode the only mode, and you can make shotguns and lava transporters with them.

-Babies have always said things like that if you want to run water or magma or both. I wouldn't be surprised if we get to a point in which he used them as practise dummies.

-I realized that DF includes the worlds best road trip simulator as well as game design make players do things the long way.

-[NSFW] My best friend dived into a retention pond to evade the cops by all-top-today_SS in SubredditSimulator
[–]dwarffortress_SS 2 points 16 days ago
IIRC, they don't spawn aquifers 1 z-level up or down, so you can clean yourself, not jump into every hole that can kill you.

-My question is, can someone help explain why this is basically the best sub. The game does not, in fact, feature giant disembodied butts, if the severed piece sails off in an arc. EDIT: Everyone died, the mayor and went berserk.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Psawhn posted:

Well, speaking of reddit and randomly generated social media, I had just found this today:
http://www.reddit.com/user/dwarffortress_SS
Markov-chain generated dwarf fortress comments! I'm having a hard time not quoting a full 50% of them.

quote:

-My question is, can someone help explain why this is basically the best sub. The game does not, in fact, feature giant disembodied butts, if the severed piece sails off in an arc. EDIT: Everyone died, the mayor and went berserk.

listen up buddy, if there's no giant disembodied butt in your fortress, that's on YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Flesh Forge posted:

Seriously I fully expect Toady to add some form of Dwarven procedurally generated social media. Like a discussion board operated by your engravers. Or it could be literally threaded and run by your weavers.

Don't the engravers already do that, what with chronicling the history of your fort on the walls and floors and such? It's kinda the same thing, really. There's even tons of reposts when they run out of original things to chisel.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm fairly sure that some maniac on Bay12 came up with an alpha-state plugin about dwarves writing down rudimentary diaries. They were more mood/thought logs than any sort of prose, but I think the procedure stands.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Don't the engravers already do that, what with chronicling the history of your fort on the walls and floors and such? It's kinda the same thing, really. There's even tons of reposts when they run out of original things to chisel.

I wish dorfs stopped emptyquoting previous engravings all the time.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

New noble: The Dwarven Moderator

e: On the wall is an engraving of Urist McGoon. All craftwork is of the highest quality. Urist McGoon is engraving a wall with a picture of Derek Smart. Derek Smart is being given his own span of wall to be the moderator of. Derek Smart looks joyful. A bunch of dwarves cower in fear in the background.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 14, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

neogeo0823 posted:

For whatever reason when I play DF my dwarves tend to pick one particular, exceedingly minor detail to engrave on like...everything. I still can't help but laugh at a fort that kept dedicating engravings and statues to one particular time a giant broke an elf's molar.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
It's probably a meme, it's just that DF can't generate the label (yet).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

For whatever reason when I play Earth my humans tend to pick one particular, exceedingly minor detail to draw on like...everything. I still can't help but laugh at a country that kept dedicating drawings and images to one particular time a dog made a funny face.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

For whatever reason when I play DF my dwarves tend to pick one particular, exceedingly minor detail to engrave on like...everything. I still can't help but laugh at a fort that kept dedicating engravings and statues to one particular time a giant broke an elf's molar.

On the wall is an engraving of Uristcat Cat. The craftwork is of exceptionally poor quality. Uristcat Cat is falling off of a *Diorite Table*.
On the floor is an engraving of Uristcat Cat. The craftwork is of exceptionally poor quality. Uristcat Cat is falling into a +Tower Cap chest+.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

On the wall is an engraving of Uristcat Cat. Uristcat Cat is saying, "IT KEEPS HAPPENING"

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

"bath" :stare:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

the du cTS THE TOADS ARE IN THE DUCTS

Toady One posted:

As promised, there's now a very basic ability to compose poems, music and choreography. There isn't a lot of user input, but you can pick the form and it'll cook something up for you. Since this should take some time for the player to do, it goes into the sleep/wait view and has some hours pass before it shares what sort of monstrosity you've cooked up. Since everything is considered "written content" as with the necromancer (and newer) books, the titles are currently in that format. For my first attempt, I had a novice poet write in a short poetic form that could take any subject... much like the necromancers, he chose to write a poem about himself called the Birth of the Human. I went ahead and shared that with everybody in the import market. The dwarves appreciated the practice I put into it, and the humans didn't mind passing the time, but the goblins were mean and wouldn't shut up. Jerks.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Toady has discovered the step after modern art.
Procedurally generated art.

What a time to be alive.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Procedurally generated descriptions of art.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Dwarf Fortress excels not at generating anything, but at generating descriptions that are just enough to capture the imagination.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

markus_cz posted:

Procedurally generated descriptions of art.

This is much better, because it doesn't have the vulnerability of some dumbshit art major ripping on it for not ~AAAAAAAACTUALLY~ conforming to whatever turd polishing doctrine he was schooled in.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
hahaha what

"this has no substance, therefore it it immune to some nebulous yet specific form of criticism that i don't like" is putting the cart before the horse a bit, don't you think?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Every time I read something about Dwarf Fortress, I become more and more convinced that Toady is going to end up programming the world's first true AI.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think he's programming the people who play his game

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Urist McGoon has been sad lately. He has lost a fortress to tragedy lately.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

hahaha what

"this has no substance, therefore it it immune to some nebulous yet specific form of criticism that i don't like" is putting the cart before the horse a bit, don't you think?

It was a joke, a humorous thing people tell each other sometimes. You may not have heard of it in ~ART SCHOOL~.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Esser-Z posted:

Every time I read something about Dwarf Fortress, I become more and more convinced that Toady is going to end up programming the world's first true AI.

It's the year 2015. Skynet is known as Dwarf Fortress.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Michaellaneous posted:

Skynet cancels destroy humanity : interrupted by plump helmet man.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Michaellaneous posted:

Nothing to worry about then; all the flowers and leaves will have Skynet chugging along at 2 frames per second.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

Flesh Forge posted:

It was a joke, a humorous thing people tell each other sometimes. You may not have heard of it in ~ART SCHOOL~.

Maybe from now on you should post procedurally generated descriptions of the jokes you wanted to make so we can't rip on them for not being good.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Doc Aquatic posted:

Maybe from now on you should post procedurally generated descriptions of the jokes you wanted to make so we can't rip on them for not being good.

This is a joke. It is of the lowest quality. It mentions a joke. It is of the lowest quality.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Urist McForumposter cancels joke: Crowd too tough

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Michael Richards cancels career: Too racist.

Michael Richards withdraws from society...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Urist cancels watch performance: horrified

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

*/****

"It is terrifying" -Rolling ☼Stone☼
"It was inevitable" -Rodnul Ebert

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The funny thing about IT WAS INEVITABLE turning into a catchphrase is that it's total filler in conversation vernacular. It doesn't mean or communicate anything. it's just an idle acknowledgement of whatever someone said. Toady himself said that he didn't have anything better in his sleeve at the moment.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Michaellaneous posted:

This is a joke. It is of the lowest quality. It mentions a joke. It is of the lowest quality.

This is amazing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Michaellaneous posted:

This is a gold post. All craftsgoonship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with golden manbabies. It menaces with spikes of jokes.

On the item is an image of a goon. The goon is crafting a joke.

On the item is an image of a goon and goons. The goons are laughing at the goon.

On the item is an image of a goon and a post. The goon is raising the post. The post is made of poo poo.

Yeah sorry I just couldn't help myself.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Bug Report: All my goons are just crafting self-referential posts and meta-referential posts about those posts over and over again.

Response: Working as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Dwarf memes ain't nothing new. Cheese, anyone?