Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Heroes are almost always reactive, villains are almost always proactive. It's just the nature of the beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Yeah, a proactive hero is often even labeled a villain.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
That's why revenge stories are fun.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Khizan posted:

Heroes are almost always reactive, villains are almost always proactive. It's just the nature of the beast.

I'd not have an issue if the steps the protagonist takes are ineffective or the investigation doesn't turn up much, but in TAS the protagonist (admittedly the whole book is a long nervous breakdown) and her team (not in the middle of a nervous breakdown) don't really mount an investigation or take any real follow-up steps to the villains actions. Even if some new evidence or information turns up it's mostly ignored/laid aside until the bad guy takes her to the office and tells her "look, that's our stupid plan, and that's how we will accomplish it, here are all the clues you ignored throughout the book".

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Wait, the Laundry Files gets good again? I've tried to read the Jennifer Morgue at least half a dozen times and just can't manage it, which has been frustrating because I liked the Atrocity Archives a hell of a lot.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

boneration posted:

Wait, the Laundry Files gets good again? I've tried to read the Jennifer Morgue at least half a dozen times and just can't manage it, which has been frustrating because I liked the Atrocity Archives a hell of a lot.

Jennifer Morgue is easily the weakest in the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

boneration posted:

Jennifer Morgue is so bad I stopped reading the series there and only continued on the next book because I got a copy for free.

It is the absolute nadir of the series and I recommend anyone interested in reading the books skip it because it is awful. Annihilation Score unfortunately feels closer to JM than anything else published since then but even it isn't anywhere near as loving awful as JM was.

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

It's fun because I really disliked the first part of The Atrocity Archives and I loved The Jennifer Morgue (and everything after that). Different tastes, I guess?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mendigo posted:

It's fun because I really disliked the first part of The Atrocity Archives and I loved The Jennifer Morgue (and everything after that). Different tastes, I guess?

I'm with you, bro.

The first 100 pages of Atrocity Archives are the worst for me.

Jennifer Morgue is really divisive. People hate it or love it. I felt the plot device was amazing, and I get giddy just reading about it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I liked all the parts of Jennifer Morgue that didn't include Mo.

I've never liked that character.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I haven't read any of the laundry files, and you guys aren't really giving me a compelling reason to do so.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Fool posted:

I haven't read any of the laundry files, and you guys aren't really giving me a compelling reason to do so.

Stross is a skilled writer and he has a lot of creative ideas, but not all of his creative ideas are also good ideas. Personally I find his books to be hit-or-miss. At his best, when the stars align and he has a good idea AND good characters, he turns out really excellent stuff. But he doesn't always sink the 8-ball / stick the landing. I've read pretty much all his published fiction but for any given book there's about a 1/3rd chance it's amazing, 1/3rd chance it's good, and 1/3rd chances it's sub-standard.

With the Laundry Files series he's kinda gotten sucked into writing more books than he originally intended because the lovecraft + spies theme has more legs than he thought it did when he wrote the first book. So there's even more quality variation than normal for him.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 14, 2015

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
My only familiarity with the Atrocity Archives is thru Audible.com basically giving it to me during a sale a while back.

It's terrible and I just can't get into listening to it.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Time to talk new releases of comics and stuff!!!

The first issue of Rivers of London: Body Work is coming out on Wednesday. It's supposed to be set between books 4 and 5, but other than that I didnt read any previews. Still having trouble finding a place to buy it locally, so we'll see how that goes.

I completely missed that fact that there was another Dresden Files comic being released all year--Downtown.It's set after White Night, and I also don't know if I can get this locally. 5 out of 6 issues have been published so far, and they're also for sale digitally. However, for some reason, only issues 2, 3 and 5 are available on Kindle (which seems hosed?)

Also, they recently published the Dresden Files Omnibus: Volume 1. This is a collection of the comics Welcome to the Jungle, Storm Front, Fool Moon, and also Restoration of Faith (which I haven't read as a comic). If you haven't read the graphic novels, this may be a good purchase.

Finally (and not comics related) they published a collection of the 3 Dresden Files bigfoot short stories a few weeks ago as Working For Bigfoot. I never read those short stories before, so I'll be reading the ebook.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

^^^ The Bigfoot stories are quite good. I had issues when reading Side Jobs, but these are quick, fun reads.

In other news, I just finished Kill City Blues. Overall I like the Sandman Slim books, but his time as Lucifer was loving terrible.

OptimusWang fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 14, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Slanderer posted:

The first issue of Rivers of London: Body Work is coming out on Wednesday. It's supposed to be set between books 4 and 5, but other than that I didnt read any previews. Still having trouble finding a place to buy it locally, so we'll see how that goes.

I completely missed that fact that there was another Dresden Files comic being released all year--Downtown.It's set after White Night, and I also don't know if I can get this locally. 5 out of 6 issues have been published so far, and they're also for sale digitally. However, for some reason, only issues 2, 3 and 5 are available on Kindle (which seems hosed?)

Also, they recently published the Dresden Files Omnibus: Volume 1. This is a collection of the comics Welcome to the Jungle, Storm Front, Fool Moon, and also Restoration of Faith (which I haven't read as a comic). If you haven't read the graphic novels, this may be a good purchase.

Finally (and not comics related) they published a collection of the 3 Dresden Files bigfoot short stories a few weeks ago as Working For Bigfoot. I never read those short stories before, so I'll be reading the ebook.

Any word on why the physical copy of Bigfoot is 1) $35 dollars and 2) Already out of stock? Was it some kind of crazy limited thing?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

jivjov posted:

Any word on why the physical copy of Bigfoot is 1) $35 dollars and 2) Already out of stock? Was it some kind of crazy limited thing?

I don't think so, but it's weird to see it out of stock. You can still buy it directly from the publisher, though (who also still has signed copies in stock too):
https://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/working_for_bigfoot

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Slanderer posted:

I don't think so, but it's weird to see it out of stock. You can still buy it directly from the publisher, though (who also still has signed copies in stock too):
https://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/working_for_bigfoot

That site still has it listed as a pre-order...maybe that's why Amazon currently only has the Kindle version?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

jivjov posted:

That site still has it listed as a pre-order...maybe that's why Amazon currently only has the Kindle version?

Actually, that might be the case---the only reviews on the Amazon page seem to be from people who ordered the Kindle version, so maybe the hardcover was delayed.

EDIT: Actually, 2 reviews of the hardcover...so no clue

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Stross is a skilled writer and he has a lot of creative ideas, but not all of his creative ideas are also good ideas. Personally I find his books to be hit-or-miss. At his best, when the stars align and he has a good idea AND good characters, he turns out really excellent stuff. But he doesn't always sink the 8-ball / stick the landing. I've read pretty much all his published fiction but for any given book there's about a 1/3rd chance it's amazing, 1/3rd chance it's good, and 1/3rd chances it's sub-standard.

With the Laundry Files series he's kinda gotten sucked into writing more books than he originally intended because the lovecraft + spies theme has more legs than he thought it did when he wrote the first book. So there's even more quality variation than normal for him.
I think that part of what is making TAS such a slog is we're being introduced to Mo's pov in one book when there have been 4 with Bob's pov

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I got a book called Half-Resurrection Blues today - it was reduced in the shop and I thought the cover looked interesting. How bad a decision have I made?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm with you, bro.

The first 100 pages of Atrocity Archives are the worst for me.

Jennifer Morgue is really divisive. People hate it or love it. I felt the plot device was amazing, and I get giddy just reading about it.
The beginning of the Atrocity Archives are is probably where Stross is channeling the BOFH stories the most. I could see it being hard to get through if you haven't spent time as a sysadmin or helpdesk worker.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

g0del posted:

The beginning of the Atrocity Archives are is probably where Stross is channeling the BOFH stories the most. I could see it being hard to get through if you haven't spent time as a sysadmin or helpdesk worker.

I have done both, and that's why it's so painful. :)

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I got a book called Half-Resurrection Blues today - it was reduced in the shop and I thought the cover looked interesting. How bad a decision have I made?

I was looking at that too, but never got around to reading it either, unfortunately.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The early parts of Atrocities Archives are some of the strongest moments of the Laundry FIles I think. The books are at their best when they're focused on Government Schlub Whose Job Happens To Be Oh poo poo Monster instead of Super Important People With Super Important Jobs Fighting Apocolypses Every Day.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Slanderer posted:

Are any of those Dresden stories available digitally? I can only find physical copies on Amazon, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm not searching well enough or if they just don't want to sell them to me.

Edit:
Same question for "Rivers of London: Body Work", I can only find it in hardcover.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Apoffys posted:

Are any of those Dresden stories available digitally? I can only find physical copies on Amazon, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm not searching well enough or if they just don't want to sell them to me.

Bigfoot is:

http://www.amazon.com/Working-Bigfoot-Jim-Butcher-ebook/dp/B00ZXPSA7C/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1436892770

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

"This title is not currently available for purchase"

I guess they just don't want filthy foreigners like me buying it...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Apoffys posted:

"This title is not currently available for purchase"

I guess they just don't want filthy foreigners like me buying it...

Region locking continues to be dumb as gently caress.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Apoffys posted:

Edit:
Same question for "Rivers of London: Body Work", I can only find it in hardcover.

The original Dresden Files graphics novels are all available digitally (via Kindle, Comixology, and dark horse digital), and the Rivers of London stuff is supposed to be available via Comixology too.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

jivjov posted:

1) Limited edition (even for the trade as there will be a fraction of the number of those as Penguin would print)
2) SubPress fills direct orders before wholesale orders

Or

2) There was a production error that pushed release of the physical book back a few weeks, so Amazon may have quit taking new orders until that's sorted out.

Probably a little of both for 2.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Butcher is a masterful troll.

Don't read if you don't want some potentially SERIOUS spoilers for Peace Talks:

https://twitter.com/longshotauthor/status/621483946556162053

If it's not a troll, there's nothing to say it's Karrin Murphy. There's other Murphy's around.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Jim Butcher is an evil man who must be stopped.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mortanis posted:

If it's not a troll, there's nothing to say it's Karrin Murphy. There's other Murphy's around.

It's gonna be either a flashback to Papa Murphy's funeral or the death of Mama Murphy.
Probably the latter because if there is one person Butcher enjoys making GBS threads on more than Dresden it is Murphy.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Re listening to summer night, and noticed a minor plot hole.

mid way through the book, Dresden has a temper tantrum and destroys the phone at his house. Towards the end, the gatekeeper drops him off at his house and he makes some phone calls.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jim Butcher's got a sweepstakes for ARCs of his steampunk book, The Aeronaut's Windlass.
http://apps.shelf-awareness.com/signup/179/221355

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Fool posted:

mid way through the book, Dresden has a temper tantrum and destroys the phone at his house. Towards the end, the gatekeeper drops him off at his house and he makes some phone calls.

Considering that Dresden destroys all sorts of devices just by being around them it's not unlikely he has a second phone in storage or something..

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

The Fool posted:

Was this before or after he got a fairy cleaning service? Maybe they replaced it :)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mrking posted:

Was this before or after he got a fairy cleaning service? Maybe they replaced it :)

This is well before.

It's not even a big deal, it just stood out on my second listen through.

Edit: this is actually the book were he gets his housekeepers

The Fool fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Mortanis posted:

I'm not going to get my hopes up because butcher is a masterful troll. Still, Odin is hiring.