Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaan
May 24, 2005

It's also important to remember while he is influential, he is not the god king of magic design like people make him out to be. He talks about getting shot down by the rest of the design team or development all the time.

You could probably seriously make a graduate level game design course out of just his ramblings on his podcast though. For a squirrely ex-sitcom writer he has a very good handle on what makes his audience tick and how to apply that to a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Alaan posted:

It's also important to remember while he is influential, he is not the god king of magic design like people make him out to be. He talks about getting shot down by the rest of the design team or development all the time.

You could probably seriously make a graduate level game design course out of just his ramblings on his podcast though. For a squirrely ex-sitcom writer he has a very good handle on what makes his audience tick and how to apply that to a game.

He is a fantastic game designer and has a great grasp of what makes games work fundamentally.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Edit: Wrong thread. Sigh.

En Fuego fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 14, 2015

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

If you go to the front page, they have this written in tiny font in the top left.

quote:

Convention products will be live on HasbroToyShop.com on July 28, 2015

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

How much have those things retailed for in the past?

ZoMBiePiGGy
Mar 26, 2007
Who put my stapler in jello!?!?

ShadeofBlue posted:

How much have those things retailed for in the past?

From what I've seen they retail ~$150 and sell for ~$250 on ebay.

I missed the July 28th part. That's good to know.

ZoMBiePiGGy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 14, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

En Fuego posted:

Not to cause a panic or anything, but I did happen to have a particularly vivid dream of watching a tsunami take out downtown from my 16th floor office.

Battle for Zendikar will have some Sea related enchantment that turns all lands into islands, I guess.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If I remember correctly from last year they also sold out in like 10 minutes.

GeneX posted:

Battle for Zendikar will have some Sea related enchantment that turns all lands into islands, I guess.

Would Blue-Blood Moon be too much? Probably.

Still waiting on Urborg-likes. I hope they happen someday. Urborg seems like it's in that "good but not too good" sweet spot that they want fixing lands to be in.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 14, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

If I remember correctly from last year they also sold out in like 10 minutes.

Would Blue-Blood Moon be too much? Probably.

Still waiting on Urborg-likes. I hope they happen someday. Urborg seems like it's in that "good but not too good" sweet spot that they want fixing lands to be in.

you're in luck, urborg volcano is actually part of a whole cycle!

also, there's a blue blood moon effect, and it combos with delver no less:

http://magiccards.info/ne/en/36.html

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Dohaeris posted:

Is defender of melentis (that's the 3 drop 0/6 right?) a potential include against mono red for my mill deck? All about stalling. Or is that just better to be removal? Scab-clan berserker (i.e. mini Eidolon of the Great Revel) is a huge rear end in a top hat.

Speaking as a RDW player, seeing you drop an 0/6 with no other abilities would be awesome to see. It has no power value so nothing it blocks of mine will die, including even a lowly 1/1 Goblin token, it has no Hexproof so I can Heelcutter it away from blocking, and even when I do that to something like Courser or Siege Rhino, those cards at least gain the opponent life.

VVV There is that. Maybe explaining the art will tilt a potential homophobe into misplaying? :v:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 14, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

On the other hand, gay statues.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

My guess is that he's just being too cutesy with Phenax, when he really should just be running a sweeper like Drown in Sorrow.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

bhsman posted:

Speaking as a RDW player, seeing you drop an 0/6 with no other abilities would be awesome to see. It has no power value so nothing it blocks of mine will die, including even a lowly 1/1 Goblin token, it has no Hexproof so I can Heelcutter it away from blocking, and even when I do that to something like Courser or Siege Rhino, those cards at least gain the opponent life.

VVV There is that. Maybe explaining the art will tilt a potential homophobe into misplaying? :v:

Pretty much this. It's a do nothing defender whose upside is answered by a RDW main card anyway; and red is already out racing you anyway because mill is bad.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Dungeon Ecology posted:

My guess is that he's just being too cutesy with Phenax, when he really should just be running a sweeper like Drown in Sorrow.

Nah, Phenax seems too slow. Just shooting for removal/stalling ability and card draw to fuel Tutelage.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/full-tilt-mill/

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Dohaeris posted:

Is defender of melentis (that's the 3 drop 0/6 right?) a potential include against mono red for my mill

I am going to stop you right there. Mill is bad. It's bad in modern, which is a format with actual good mill cards in it, and it's hot garbage in standard, especially in a standard with a block that featured Delve among other forms of graveyard interaction. Self-mill is actually a more viable strategy than milling your opponents out as it stands, and only then as a means of cheating out creatures and fueling Dig Through Time.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

On the other hand, gay statues.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Languish, too. That aside, Sphinx's Tutelage is ironically pretty strong against RDW because the deck runs only ~20 lands and every card is red (even Atarka's Command) aside from the occasional artifact like Hall of Triumph that some lists maindeck.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

you're in luck, urborg volcano is actually part of a whole cycle!

also, there's a blue blood moon effect, and it combos with delver no less:

http://magiccards.info/ne/en/36.html

Every time I look at that card, it gets even worse than I remember it. This time I figured out that it does literally nothing against Tron.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Gay Statues Tribal Deck, feat. Mill

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Dohaeris posted:

Nah, Phenax seems too slow. Just shooting for removal/stalling ability and card draw to fuel Tutelage.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/full-tilt-mill/

The card you want is probably Dragon's Eye Savants. It comes down a turn sooner and you might be able to get your opponent to waste a burn spell on it if it's morphed because they think it's a Stratus Dancer or something actually playable.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

bhsman posted:

Languish, too. That aside, Sphinx's Tutelage is ironically pretty strong against RDW because the deck runs only ~20 lands and every card is red (even Atarka's Command) aside from the occasional artifact like Hall of Triumph that some lists maindeck.

Exactly. I've also been seeing a lot of mono white decks on xmage running dragon hunter and that new tithing angel thing. I've been running 3 mainboard languish and 1 side, then 1-2 crux side as well that I use for the angel and rhinos. Maybe I should toss some drowns in there too. Control isn't exactly a bad matchup with this, so that I don't have to worry about too much.

Also looking at Jhessian Thief, since it draws cards! And prowess! And a 3 body isn't too bad either. edit: will definitely look at the Dragon's Eye Savant too, has potential.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
One thing I like about Origins is how it cemented the move of the artifacts archetype from primarily U/W to U/R that started in M15. Invention and tinkering seems much more natural in that color pair. I'm sure white will still get some artifact related enablers, especially if we ever go back to Alara or New Phyrexia, but I like what seems to be the new default direction.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

whydirt posted:

One thing I like about Origins is how it cemented the move of the artifacts archetype from primarily U/W to U/R that started in M15. Invention and tinkering seems much more natural in that color pair. I'm sure white will still get some artifact related enablers, especially if we ever go back to Alara or New Phyrexia, but I like what seems to be the new default direction.

Artifacts have been hanging out in U/R for aaaaaaaages son.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yes and no. Before, red mostly got stuff that let you sac artifacts for a bonus. The newer stuff creates thopter tokens or just cares about you having artifacts. It's not a huge shift, but it's noticeable.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it feels like before this Red focused artifact decks were designed around getting artifacts and then burning them up when they're running out of usefulness, the new stuff just makes artifacts without doing much to burn them.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
My favorite red "artifacts matter" card is Bludgeon Brawl.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Trash for Treasure is great.

Edit: Legit I want an artifacts manner deck that isn't wildly inconsistent in standard again.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 14, 2015

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I got a Day's Undoing during the prerelease and I'm hoping to unload it before it tanks in price. Unless I don't see the value in it and it doesn't leave the $15-area.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oraculum Animi posted:

I got a Day's Undoing during the prerelease and I'm hoping to unload it before it tanks in price. Unless I don't see the value in it and it doesn't leave the $15-area.

It's Timetwister. On turn 3 it is literally timetwister.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Timetwister isn't actually all that good unless you're storming with it.

Which you expressly can't do with this one.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Fair enough, yeah.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I also got Demonic Pact in my pre-release. Two mythics, neither a flipwalker. Or good.

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within
wrt MaRo just wanted to drop in and say that if you fire questions to his makingmagic @ hotmail he will respond, every time. the man is a masochist when it comes to answering questions, in the gooniest way.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

I khan only imagine what you're going through. Hopefully if the gf keeps dragon you to more events it'll light that spark and you'll be back to your original self. Get well soon, pal.

zendikar

Haha, holy poo poo that was a good string. The girlfriend told me you weren't going to be around for a while. Thank you and I hope you find some Magic fun in your area till then.

Thanks too for the kind words from others. I do appreciate it. Now to brew Mono-U artifacts for Super Standard.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Count Bleck posted:

add "literally" to misused words MtG bingo

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Four Score posted:

add "literally" to misused words MtG bingo

It's a strictly better Timetwister on turn 3.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The main place people are seeing a home for it is Affinity (dump your hand, twist on turn 2/3 for a new set of ammo and also to reset your opponent's mulligan). It seems inconsistent but extremely powerful there.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Ah yes we all want nothing more than allowing people to have multiple Thalias on the board.

Because if you're going to remove the legendary rule you're probably also going to include Planeswalkers in that, so multiple Jace TMS also seems like A Good Idea.

I mean the problem with legendary as it stands is it conflates cards which are unique for balance reasons (eg Mox Opal, Thalia, Iona), cards which were designed as potential commanders, and story characters. I can see the value in making the first one a separate thing, although it would require extensive errata so it probably won't ever happen.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Count Bleck posted:

No. No it's not.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

TheKingofSprings posted:

Power is power for a reason. Day's Undoing is going to get banned in Modern because it will be as format warping as cruise/dig were. No, you can't storm with it, but you can 6 for 1 your opponent for 3 mana with any deck that plays out its hand with any speed.

e; Or gently caress, with any control deck. Losing the card advantage game? Just press the reset button.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Skyl3lazer posted:

Power is power for a reason. Day's Undoing is going to get banned in Modern because it will be as format warping as cruise/dig were. No, you can't storm with it, but you can 6 for 1 your opponent for 3 mana with any deck that plays out its hand with any speed.

e; Or gently caress, with any control deck. Losing the card advantage game? Just press the reset button.

Timetwister type effects traditionally don't work for control type decks since you just refill the opponent's hand without necessarily dealing with the current threats they have out. It's always been best used by decks that can just constantly play out all of their cards from their hand. For example: High Tide Legacy deck, which is nothing but mana doubling, drawing, and then timetwisting for a refill several times per turn until you win.

That makes burn and affinity the two most natural places to try it.

• Locked thread