Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Toshimo posted:

I can't tell you which card to cut, by the way, because your deck is a bit too all over the place and missing most of the prototypical Marath cards and you don't seem like you want a full-deck overhaul. If that's what you want, I can throw some concepts at you, but pretty much half your deck is immediately cuttable, so just drop 4 random cards.

I'd like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Kleedrac posted:

Sadly all my Chromatic Lanterns are in decks already but that would mean a second cut and I'm having a hard time figuring out what to cut for the Primal Vigor which is a killer card in the deck.

You should be fine with your lands. You have 37, two mana rocks, and four ramp spells to get lands...I don't see you having issues as long as you know how to mulligan.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

So after casting Cyclonic Rift EOT into Coat of Arms and Sunder, and ending the game prior by creating 4 Blightsteel Colossuses with Stolen Identity and Force of Will backup, I've decided my Talrand, Sky Summoner deck is maybe a tad too powerful for some of the folks at EDH night at my LGS. So I'm making a more "fair" list with Olivia Voldaren: no infinite combos or land destruction, winning through turning vampires sideways. I therefore invite any recommendations; I'm more used to making engine decks and combos, so this is a bit new for me. I don't mind getting expensive cards recommended to me, though since this is my secondary list, I'm not throwing down for Badlands anytime soon.

http://deckstats.net/decks/14124/276287-less-vampires-more-draculas

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

hoobajoo posted:

So after casting Cyclonic Rift EOT into Coat of Arms and Sunder, and ending the game prior by creating 4 Blightsteel Colossuses with Stolen Identity and Force of Will backup, I've decided my Talrand, Sky Summoner deck is maybe a tad too powerful for some of the folks at EDH night at my LGS. So I'm making a more "fair" list with Olivia Voldaren: no infinite combos or land destruction, winning through turning vampires sideways. I therefore invite any recommendations; I'm more used to making engine decks and combos, so this is a bit new for me. I don't mind getting expensive cards recommended to me, though since this is my secondary list, I'm not throwing down for Badlands anytime soon.

Captivating Vampire to make more draculas, Kalitas Blood Chief of Ghet also. The bloodghast + Kalastria Highborn + sac outlet combo might not be good enough for edh, but idk. Nocturnus and Viscera seer maybe?

And I'd make room for the Baron himself in there somewhere.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
You could always put in the classic Mephidross Vampire/Triskelion combo. :v:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

hoobajoo posted:

Try this as a base:
http://deckstats.net/deck-7109504-d6ce01659edf148858d52bb4576dcca7.html

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Gynovore posted:

Why, in the Year of Our Lord 2015, does a deck construction site not support the Commander format? Use Tappedout.net, they have a better site layout as well.

The deck looks OK. The only cards I can think to add are Regrowth and Sylvan Library, which go in every green deck ever made, ever.

The advantage to deckstats is that if you use Lackey, you can just export as text->copy->paste without having to reformat anything.

As far as Vampires goes, a friend of mine has had a startling amount of success with the low curve tempo Vampires like Stromkirk Noble/Markov Blademaster and the like in his Olivia deck. He has the bigger Vampires too of course. We basically knocked each other out of the game last time we played by about turn 6 with me playing that deck (I have my own, but I like to mix it up on occassion) and him playing Lovisa Coldeyes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I'm building a Sen Triplets deck. (Woooaaaahh! Settle down, there, Toshimo! It'll be alright. Shhhh. shhhhhh...)

I'm thinking of making it a flicker variant with all the value creatures. Nothing super busted or deadly. I just want to durdle and screw around with my opponents' resources until they eventually kill me. What I'm looking for right now is for any black blink/flicker effects (the only one I know off the top of my head is Return from the Underworld), and if there are any useful but obscure black ETB effects I should think about throwing in there.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

AlternateNu posted:

... if there are any useful but obscure black ETB effects I should think about throwing in there.

This search should give you a list of all black ETB effects.

Gatherer for all Black Creature ETB

Having access to black/blue opens up a really fun blink/bounce/sac/reanimate world where a lot of your deck can synergize around your creatures. It's a nice blend between a creature deck and a spell deck.

Drop in Boneshredder. Blink it. Let it die due to echo next upkeep. Next turn drop in Reveillark/Karmic Guide and return other creatures that were sac'd/killed. The reanimation engine mixed with Blue's control can be really interactive and fun. It can also drag games on..... basically forever.

Things can get silly and fun very quickly.

Also, Baleful Strix is awesome.

Okay I guess I just want this to be a Sharuum deck deep down.

Fishvilla fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 8, 2015

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Deadeye Navigator and Massacre Wurm. I've always wanted to do that, but haven't for some reason.

On that note, fun U/B or grixis generals? I don't care about any particular theme, I'm not interested in Nekusar though.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I've always wanted to try out Tetsuo Umezawa. I play Nicol Bolas good cards and counters currently. It is important to have someone with disruption at the table to stop free wins from nowhere.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Olothreutes posted:

fun U/B or grixis generals? I don't care about any particular theme, I'm not interested in Nekusar though.

I've tended to avoid those colors when building decks. However if I were to build such a deck these would be at the top of my list.

Wrexial, The Risen Deep: A great lead-in point for stealthings.dek.
Lazav, Dimir Mastermind: It doesn't have to be a clone-heavy deck, but you can go that way.
Sygg, River Cutthroat: an old favorite among more aggressively minded dimir players.
Marchesa, the Black Rose: If you ever wanted to play with clockworks(well, some of the clockworks) and modular creatures. Really Marchesa can do almost anything Marchesa wants.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Olothreutes posted:

Deadeye Navigator and Massacre Wurm. I've always wanted to do that, but haven't for some reason.

On that note, fun U/B or grixis generals? I don't care about any particular theme, I'm not interested in Nekusar though.

Marchesa. She does so much bullshit with Persist, Undying, and Dethrone creatures. If I ever get around to building a Grixis deck, it is going to use her.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

AlternateNu posted:

Marchesa. She does so much bullshit with Persist, Undying, and Dethrone creatures. If I ever get around to building a Grixis deck, it is going to use her.

Along with what you mention there, Marchesa goes quite well with Modular.
Basically anything you can get a +1/+1 counter on, sac or kill and get some effect and then do it again is OK by me.

Additionally, if you do build Marchesa, be sure to include room for a Grave Betrayal!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I have a Marchesa / Clone deck on MTGO and it's insane. If you decide to make it, go with:

Unspeakable Symbol 1BB
Enchantment

Pay 3 life: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.

You will never lose. Also, when she has a counter on her just let her die and pop back! She and Tymaret are the two commanders I have who hardly ever go back to the Command Zone.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

En Fuego posted:

I have a Marchesa / Clone deck on MTGO and it's insane. If you decide to make it, go with:

Unspeakable Symbol 1BB
Enchantment

Pay 3 life: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.

You will never lose. Also, when she has a counter on her just let her die and pop back! She and Tymaret are the two commanders I have who hardly ever go back to the Command Zone.

The symbol is a house as far as Marchesa is concerned.

Please tell me you have a list for your Tymaret deck? I'd love to see one!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm having a hard time building Nahiri equipment into a competitive deck. I have a lot of fun with it but it just doesn't seem to hold its own against the decks of the playgroup I'm in. I typically play it for a game or two then set it aside for my prossh token deck when I get tired of losing every game.

Has anybody built a somewhat competitive Nahiri deck? I've invested a decent amount in equipment, have all of the swords, stoneforge, etc. angel bombs for later game. I can put together my decklist if someone wouldn't mind helping me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

MMD3 posted:

I'm having a hard time building Nahiri equipment into a competitive deck. I have a lot of fun with it but it just doesn't seem to hold its own against the decks of the playgroup I'm in. I typically play it for a game or two then set it aside for my prossh token deck when I get tired of losing every game.

Has anybody built a somewhat competitive Nahiri deck? I've invested a decent amount in equipment, have all of the swords, stoneforge, etc. angel bombs for later game. I can put together my decklist if someone wouldn't mind helping me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I did something similar awhile back with Tajic (which ran Nahiri), though rather than having an boardwipe-indestructible creature Commander, you have a planeswalker version instead. Boardwipes will not only protect Nahiri, they'll also clear the way for whatever is lugging around your equipment (which hopefully includes Darksteel plate).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MMD3 posted:

You can post it, but Nahiri is in the bottom tier of Commanders and it's a tough archetype to make headway with. I'd recommend playing a good Voltron commander like Uril if you really want an equipment-based deck.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I've actually been thinking about running a eight and a half tails voltron deck recently too. Though not totally sold on the concept, it sounds entertaining.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MMD3 posted:

Nahiri is never going to be super competitive, but I built one that can at least pace with other decks. The main weakness to white is that it has poo poo for card draw, so you're always going to end up losing the resource war. To mitigate this, you either have to go super low and fast (which doesn't work in 4 player games) or try to just grind chip shots at a level no one finds threatening until you can just bum rush them.

So, the version I built was basically a Skullclamp deck with all the token generators (Elspeths, Hero of Bladehold, Emeria Angel, Spirit Bond, Darien, etc.). Other card drawers included Seer's Sundial and Puresteel Paladin. Once I had enough cards in hand and one or two of the other players were already eliminated, I would just drop a couple anthem effects (Coat of Arms, Honor of the Pure, Spear of Heliod, Eldrazi Monument, Field Marshal, Elesh Norn) and try to swing the remaining players out of the game.

And don't be afraid to use Cataclysm. You'll probably need it.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Man_alive posted:

The symbol is a house as far as Marchesa is concerned.

Please tell me you have a list for your Tymaret deck? I'd love to see one!

MTGO's export puts em in a weird order, but here it is. Basically a Threaten/Sac/Reanimate deck. There's some pet cards in there, but it is pretty fun. People don't expect Tymaret to be a control commander.

1 Act of Treason
1 Akroan Horse
1 Akoum Refuge
1 Animate Dead
1 Bazaar Trader
1 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Blackcleave Cliffs
1 Blood Crypt
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Chaos Warp
1 Coffin Queen
1 Command Tower
1 Dance of the Dead
1 Damnation
1 Darksteel Ingot
1 Dragonskull Summit
1 Fellwar Stone
1 Geth, Lord of the Vault
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Gilded Lotus
1 Hero's Downfall
1 Insurrection
1 Life's Finale
1 Magmaquake
1 Mark of Mutiny
1 Mimic Vat
1 Molten Primordial
1 Molten Slagheap
1 Mortarpod
1 Necromancy
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
1 Portent of Betrayal
1 Rakdos Carnarium
1 Rakdos Guildgate
1 Rakdos Keyrune
1 Reassembling Skeleton
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Rise from the Grave
1 Sepulchral Primordial
1 Sol Ring
1 Starstorm
1 Sudden Spoiling
1 Temple of the False God
1 Thespian's Stage
1 Traitorous Instinct
1 Traitorous Blood
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Viscera Seer
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Withered Wretch
7 Swamp
9 Mountain
1 Act of Aggression
1 Blind with Anger
1 Conquering Manticore
1 Grab the Reins
1 Mass Mutiny
1 Puppeteer Clique
1 Threaten
1 Treacherous Urge
1 Unwilling Recruit
1 Word of Seizing
1 Zealous Conscripts
1 Grave Pact
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Bloodchief Ascension
1 Shattering Pulse
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Aftershock
1 Whip of Erebos
1 Thawing Glaciers
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Reanimate
1 Everflowing Chalice
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Outpost Siege
1 Jeering Instigator
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Bloodfell Caves
1 Skullclamp
1 Mob Rule
1 Dark Prophecy
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Merciless Executioner

1 Tymaret, the Murder King

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
There was this kid who wanted to play 1v1 Commander today at the LGS, just spectating the pre-release like I was, so I brought out Kruphix, and while I may have panicked for a second when I saw my old flame Derevi, my fears were quickly put to rest when I saw the FoW in my opening hand. After getting out a turn 2 Dictate thanks to Chrome Mox, my turn 3 draws were Isochron Scepter and Memory Lapse. After swatting away Bane of Progress and Darksteel Mutation a few times, I finally tapped out his (two) creatures by kicking a Rite of Rep copying his Deceiver Exarch, paving the way for an 81/81 Omnath courtesy of Doubling Cube.

I guess he'd been king poo poo of the cafeteria table or something because his expression was escalating levels of :chanpop:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah I can see Derevi players thinking they're the kings of poo poo hill. He really lends to that mindset well.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Aaaand No Changes to bans or rules changes...

loving bullshit that Sol Ring is still legal...that card needs gone yesterday.

Source

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

OssiansFolly posted:

Source

While I don't disagree - it's been said before and is still valid that Commander was sold as "the fun Magic format where Sol Ring is legal!" and banning it may be a marketing nightmare.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Sol Ring is included in the Commander precons, it's not going anywhere.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

OssiansFolly posted:

Source

Have you considered that Commander isn't intended to be a competitively balanced format?

I mean, if that's what you want then sure it's terrible. But there are other formats that exist for what you seem to want to do, so why are you upset that Commander isn't filling that niche and is instead intended to do something different? I never understand this complaint. The format was designed around being able to play with cards like Sol Ring that aren't usable anywhere else. It fits that bill very nicely, and to try to make something else out of it seems kind of silly.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 14, 2015

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
If you want competitive commander, they just banned Mystical Tutor, will probably ban Top next revision, and Dig and Gaea's Cradle are on the poo poo-list

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Infinite Karma posted:

Sol Ring is included in the Commander precons, it's not going anywhere.

Yes because all the little children can't figure out how to open a package, remove Sol Ring and put in a basic land. Tough deck building.

The Shortest Path posted:

Have you considered that Commander isn't intended to be a competitively balanced format?

Then why even have a ban list? Why host sanctioned events?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

OssiansFolly posted:

Then why even have a ban list?

You know there's a whole other list where Sol Ring is banned right?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

You know there's a whole other list where Sol Ring is banned right?

Yes in Duel Rules for 1v1.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

OssiansFolly posted:

Yes in Duel Rules for 1v1.

Almost like duelling commander is the competitive version of the format ....

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kleedrac posted:

Almost like duelling commander is the competitive version of the format ....

Almost like the "official" format is uninteresting dogshit ....

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
I made a Yasova Dragonclaw deck and I'm having tons of fun with it

Still needs a lot of work though

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Shortest Path posted:

The underlying idea is that Commander is balanced by 'the group'; that is, in a ~4 player game, if one player gets an explosive start with Sol Ring/Crucible/Fetchland or something, the other players will gang up and stop him. However, this leads to an environment where the goal is to be second best, which at least personally I found to be very unfun.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Gynovore posted:

The underlying idea is that Commander is balanced by 'the group'; that is, in a ~4 player game, if one player gets an explosive start with Sol Ring/Crucible/Fetchland or something, the other players will gang up and stop him. However, this leads to an environment where the goal is to be second best, which at least personally I found to be very unfun.

Not to mention that still leaves 1 player acting in turn 4 while everyone else is panicking on turn 2. Even if they gang up on that one player in a competitive deck it may be too late...

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
There have been a lot of games where I or someone else have dropped a T1 Sol Ring and proceeded to...drop a 4-drop on turn 3. :evilbuddy: Not to say you can't do degenerate things with Sol Ring, but ultimately I feel like people are worrying about a rare instance where a player just has a nut hand in a 100-card singleton deck, whereas a developing combo that exploits Sylvan Primordial is much worse to me, and the latter was rightfully banned. Ban Sol Ring for 1v1, of course, but I think there's legitimacy to the 'groups balance out' theory. It's been my experience, at least. Plus, any time a player just powers out a turn 3 winning combo, we just...immediately started a new game.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

bhsman posted:

There have been a lot of games where I or someone else have dropped a T1 Sol Ring and proceeded to...drop a 4-drop on turn 3. :evilbuddy: Not to say you can't do degenerate things with Sol Ring, but ultimately I feel like people are worrying about a rare instance where a player just has a nut hand in a 100-card singleton deck, whereas a developing combo that exploits Sylvan Primordial is much worse to me, and the latter was rightfully banned. Ban Sol Ring for 1v1, of course, but I think there's legitimacy to the 'groups balance out' theory. It's been my experience, at least. Plus, any time a player just powers out a turn 3 winning combo, we just...immediately started a new game.

Whenever that happens in our group, we let the guy get his win, and then we continue the game with the other three players. And the "winner" gets to wait in the corner until we're done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AlternateNu posted:

Whenever that happens in our group, we let the guy get his win, and then we continue the game with the other three players. And the "winner" gets to wait in the corner until we're done.

It's kind of a moot point for me because my store has just gone ahead and banned Sol Ring in group EDH, so yeah. :v: