Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
https://blog.activision.com/community/games-blog/guitar-hero/blog/2015/07/07/guitar-hero-live-diving-deeper-into-hero-powers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PrNqqynpSs

I really hope these Hero Powers are just one shot deals during a song and last like 10 seconds max

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Sounds like it's identical to Star Power/Overdrive, so I assume you'll get a few shots per song.

I want more RB4 info :smith:

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

pksage posted:

Sounds like it's identical to Star Power/Overdrive, so I assume you'll get a few shots per song.

Don't we all...

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

So basically Rock Band Blitz, got it.

Still, got horrible flashbacks to GH3's boss battles (gently caress YOU LOU! :argh:)

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
I'm sure it's been covered (though not in OP) so apologies in advance but how is the PS4 version of RB4 going to get hosed over, or has Harmonix dropped the payola preference for Xbox?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Babe Magnet posted:

Couldn't you use it to do the little Magic/Summoning minigame? Or am I making poo poo up again in my head

You could play little notes but it was just with the controller I think, I don't think there was any plastic guitar support in BL.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

pretend to care posted:

I'm sure it's been covered (though not in OP) so apologies in advance but how is the PS4 version of RB4 going to get hosed over, or has Harmonix dropped the payola preference for Xbox?

If anything, it sounds like the PS3->PS4 instrument compatibility is cleaner/easier than 360->XB1, and neither one is getting RBN right now, so you should see more parity than you did for RB3. I don't think any differences at all have been announced so far.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

pretend to care posted:

I might be mistaken, but I believe the Xbox deals were done with MTV Games / Viacom and not Harmonix. Since they are self-publishing this time around, that shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

pksage posted:

Is there a good educated guess when we will get more information? Not until Pax Prime?

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
So are RBN tracks going to be incompatible with RB4, or what? I've seen claims in both directions, but the indication is that they'll be incompatible , right?

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

gtrmp posted:

So are RBN tracks going to be incompatible with RB4, or what? I've seen claims in both directions, but the indication is that they'll be incompatible , right?

They've said "we'll see" which means who the gently caress knows.

They haven't even come down on either side of "there will be a Rock Band 3 export" yet, and originally it sounded like they wasn't.

(How do you not secure those rights in advance and in perpetuity by now?)

Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't happen until years down the line when they feel ready to take on the headache of chasing down the rights holders to songs and double-checking the terms of their contracts with the third-party authoring services.

In summary, they added back tilt to activate in GH:L so I was right and the rest of you are the heathens. But the powers sound imbalanced and stupid.

Gaspar Lewis fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 8, 2015

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
If you preorder on Amazon, you'll get a slew of Harmonix-band RBN tracks, including Push Push (Lady Lightning). I also assume they'll let you redownload the Schick promo RBN tracks that had Pro Guitar. Beyond that, the official word on RBN is "not at launch, maybe later".

Re: RB3 export: I doubt it's the licensing as much as putting together a secure system for code redemption and putting every track through Microsoft's stupid approval pipeline. I don't know. I'm sure they know how important it is to the players.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
You would think that, especially given how much time and effort and top billing they've put into the DLC and existing exports coming forward, but there's indirect quotes attributed to Dan Sussman from around March that were all the way back at "no plans, but if you want it, tweet or post on the official forums and we'll re-prioritize!" about it. Think how many people thought online multiplayer was a given and where that is now. What fraction of their market for RB4 owns RB3 and would be swayed by it, versus people who petered out at the first or second game or people who don't care?

Expecting them to have the cross-generation architecture ready to handle that would obviously be ridiculous on the current-gen side. That said, if they built RB3 without some internal skeleton to at least have the contingency ready and/or pre-clearance for some hypothetical rights export into the terms of the song licensing from the disc, then that's telling of what went on in Harmonix's minds about Rock Band between 2009-ish and now.

If there were songs that they couldn't/can't/won't be able to reattain, I'm fine with that because it's par for the course; I'd be sad to see something like the sole Beach Boys song to date go, but not in any way shocked by it. They make it sound like Plan A was for no RB3 export at all, though.

Here's another one: I own most (but not all) of the 30 Amazon-specific HMX/RBN Potpourri songs. Will I get those right away or do they not count? A DLC library thousands and thousands of songs deep is going to unavoidably spit up insane and bizarre edge cases left and right, but there's almost no answers to any of them while they're still hanging back on feature announcements and dribbling out five or six songs every other month.

I'm impatient! And grumpy!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
C3 custom song releases for July 10, 2015:

New! April Wine C01 5-pack (ws54 and CrazyCanuck)
  • April Wine - "I Like to Rock"
  • April Wine - "Just Between You and Me"
  • April Wine - "Say Hello"
  • April Wine - "Sign of the Gypsy Queen"
  • April Wine - "Tell Me Why"
New! Deftones C01 3-pack
  • Deftones - "Change (In the House of Flies)" (Gigakoops)
  • Deftones - "Diamond Eyes" 2x (Gigakoops)
  • Deftones - "Knife Prty" 2x (BearzUnlimited)
New! Singles
  • Brand New - "The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows" (Gigakoops)
  • ONE OK ROCK - "NO SCARED" (RyanHYK)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

pksage posted:

New! Deftones C01 3-pack
  • Deftones - "Change (In the House of Flies)" (Gigakoops)
  • Deftones - "Diamond Eyes" 2x (Gigakoops)
  • Deftones - "Knife Prty" 2x (BearzUnlimited)

Holy poo poo, sweet! (Also, I can't believe that Change in the House of Flies took this long. As in, I just kindof assumed it was already in the game.)

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
April Wine is loving rad and my only wish is Oowatanite and Could Have Been a Lady were included, but oh well still a real solid pack.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Where... where is "Roller" you guys? :(

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

After listening to the previews, April Wine sounds like a band that I should know, but I honestly don't think I've heard them before.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
New songs gonna be announced tomorrow

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
It's an Eightiestravaganza night! Thanks for fueling our fun, guys.

Our House Start Me Up is incredible on drums!

Die Sexmonster! fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 13, 2015

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic
The Cure - Friday I'm In Love
Dream Theater - Metropolis Part I: The Miracle and the Sleeper
Foo Fighters - The Feast and the Famine
Judas Priest - Halls of Valhalla
Live - All Over You
The Outfield - Your Love
Ozzy Osbourne - Miracle Man
Paramore - Still Into You
St. Vincent - Birth In Reverse
Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl

OK! Yes!

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Metropolis is pretty fun on drums. There are the super fast parts that are a pain in the neck (for me), but a lot of it is focused on complex rhythms, which I really like.

Your Love is just awesome. All Over You is insanely fun on drums. Like, the best.

Honestly I am just super excited about RB4's disc song list in general.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Well we've got our obligatory 10 minute long prog song now.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Harmonix being located in Boston and Your Love making the game are directly related. GO PATS.

Also I'm not really enamored of most of these songs but Brown Eyed Girl will be fun and some Annie loving Clark Hell Yeah

edit: oh man All Over You is one of those Those Songs for me, hell yeah ten years of alt rock radio bored that one into my brain

CRINDY fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 13, 2015

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Metropolis is a blast to play in game so I'm pretty happy regardless of personal time spent on it to see it in game. Sad that keys are out though, those are sick for this song.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Toys in the Attic is a great, great song. That'll be fun as hell with a full band.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
The Outfield. Goddamn.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That's a good list, can't wait.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Oh hey, Miracle Man. Getting flashbacks to being 18 and driving around in my lovely car while listening to a mixtape with that song on it.

miracle mannnnn GOT BUSTED

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
I mean, I get that HMX can't acknowledge customs, but 3/10 I already had. The other 7 I don't know by name, but I'll trust HMX on their selections. I barely knew any songs in RB3 and I loved probably 80 of those songs. Maybe it was Stockholm Syndrome after playing each 20 times or so. Who knows.

By my count we have 22 confirmed on-disc tracks and one leaked song (or song HMX continues to refuse is out there) - I already had 5 or 6 of those. Come on HMX, give me NEW content.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

But it's a good thing they're picking content that people clearly loved enough to make themselves, right?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

TrojanNemo posted:

I mean, I get that HMX can't acknowledge customs, but 3/10 I already had. The other 7 I don't know by name, but I'll trust HMX on their selections. I barely knew any songs in RB3 and I loved probably 80 of those songs. Maybe it was Stockholm Syndrome after playing each 20 times or so. Who knows.

By my count we have 22 confirmed on-disc tracks and one leaked song (or song HMX continues to refuse is out there) - I already had 5 or 6 of those. Come on HMX, give me NEW content.

I agree, shame on you Harmonix for repeating tracks that upwards of tens of people have already played

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I've never tinkered with custom RB3 tracks but glancing at some lists there's some amazing stuff on there. I was curious if someone could give a very short answer as to the complexity of setting it up right and if there's some go-to sites for a true beginner when it comes to this stuff.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

kalensc posted:

I've never tinkered with custom RB3 tracks but glancing at some lists there's some amazing stuff on there. I was curious if someone could give a very short answer as to the complexity of setting it up right and if there's some go-to sites for a true beginner when it comes to this stuff.

It's not complex at all.

C3 forums should still have a roadmap for setting up customs, go there and read the instructions. At this point everything's so streamlined that it's basically all drag and drop. (thank you TrojanNemo for C3Tools)

EDIT: Found the video PKSage the wonderfully awesome Nyxyxylyth made, this will tell you everything you need to do to get customs working, though it's kinda outdated as it doesn't mention C3Tools, so it's even easier nowadays than the video makes it out to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PawhJlfVLkg

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 15, 2015

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

Kaboobi posted:

But it's a good thing they're picking content that people clearly loved enough to make themselves, right?

Indeed. Even back before DLC ended, HMX had a knack for releasing songs I had done customs of. Sometimes within weeks or a couple of months of my release. For example: 311's Amber - I released it, with full multitracks, accurate pro keys and harmonies, all the works. Then barely a month later, official DLC. It didn't bother me because it showed either I or HMX had great taste :-)

abraham linksys posted:

I agree, shame on you Harmonix for repeating tracks that upwards of tens of people have already played

If only you had an idea of how many downloads C3 files get, you'd be quite surprised.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Kaboobi posted:

Actually, I even contend we have some valuable insight on some trends among RB users.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It's interesting they got Live. Last I heard they were all suing each other because Ed wanted like 99% of the royalties or something.

Nyxyxylyth
Apr 4, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It's not complex at all.

C3 forums should still have a roadmap for setting up customs, go there and read the instructions. At this point everything's so streamlined that it's basically all drag and drop. (thank you TrojanNemo for C3Tools)

EDIT: Found the video PKSage made, this will tell you everything you need to do to get customs working, though it's kinda outdated as it doesn't mention C3Tools, so it's even easier nowadays than the video makes it out to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PawhJlfVLkg
TIL Pksage and Nyxyxylyth are the same person.

I am confused.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's interesting they got Live. Last I heard they were all suing each other because Ed wanted like 99% of the royalties or something.

Ed's a dink, but I imagine HMX knows who at the labels to talk to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Comedy option: