Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Wanderer posted:

The whole thing is a transparent reason to have a cool stealth-only prison mission, which would probably be eminently forgivable in a better game.

Also if it was actually a cool stealth-only prison mission rather than a ludicrous combat-mandatory prison mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Wanderer posted:

To be absolutely fair, and I mean more fair than the writers arguably deserve, it's not like it matters that much that the prison cameras saw him.

Aiden has enough stroke in the ctOS system that the system's facial recognition software can't pick him up. You can't go looking for known associates; he has no friends, his family is conspicuously not home, and if they think to ask Jackson's therapist, she doesn't know a drat thing. You can't go to his house, because he doesn't have one. Unless they devote a bunch of units to driving in circles in the hopes that one of them runs him over, Aiden's a ghost in the machine. He could have spent the entire elevator ride from the prison basement to the roof waving his naked rear end at the nearest camera and it wouldn't matter. One of the recurring threads in Watch_Dogs is that they've hooked everything into the central system, whether it's traffic control, security networks, or even cheap toys, and that Aiden is the first of many ways in which this is biting them on the rear end.

Of course, then you have to point out that for all those reasons and a few more besides, Aiden didn't have to go into the prison at all. Having one eyewitness to the stadium job doesn't matter too much, especially since the dude made it all the way to jail without providing testimony on that subject, and when he saw Aiden, it was for five seconds, Aiden had a hat on and his collar up, the dude got knocked out immediately thereafter, and Aiden looks like five hundred thousand other guys in the metropolitan Chicago area. The whole thing is a transparent reason to have a cool stealth-only prison mission, which would probably be eminently forgivable in a better game.

Being "off the grid" has saved people a lot less connected than Aiden is. Any loner who shoots up a jail, when they have a photo of you and you walk around everywhere, you will be spotted by someone to make a phone call of the suspected perpetrator of the Jail Basement Massacre. Hell anyone in the motel, which would be the first place to look as it is with most crimes of this nature. This is of course ignoring that people before this could recognise him on the street by his name and take selfies with him at which point this entire post can be reduced down to "nope, this makes literally no sense".

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The thing is that we've already had pedestrians coming up to Aiden and identifying him as the vigilante, there are news reports where the vigilante is identified as Aiden Pearce, when Pearce was being processed his loving name showed up and was read out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There's literally a mechanic in the game where, if your reputation gets too low, civilians will recognize you and call the cops. Then the cops show up and you kill a shitton of them and get away. And the like, their search is over. Law enforcement is like, welp he killed the first 20 squad cars we sent after him, so I guess he just gets away. As if there's not a literal trail of destruction and traffic accidents leading all the way to his hideout. Like he probably ran right through traffic and caused a bunch of cars to stop immediately before entering his hideout.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Opposing Farce posted:

Also if it was actually a cool stealth-only prison mission rather than a ludicrous combat-mandatory prison mission.

Yeah, that's true.

Lid posted:

Being "off the grid" has saved people a lot less connected than Aiden is. Any loner who shoots up a jail, when they have a photo of you and you walk around everywhere, you will be spotted by someone to make a phone call of the suspected perpetrator of the Jail Basement Massacre. Hell anyone in the motel, which would be the first place to look as it is with most crimes of this nature. This is of course ignoring that people before this could recognise him on the street by his name and take selfies with him at which point this entire post can be reduced down to "nope, this makes literally no sense".

There are no surviving witnesses to the Jail Basement Massacre aside from the guy who's theoretically been intimidated into not talking, Aiden doesn't show up on ctOS-enabled cameras (and there's apparently no such thing as a camera that isn't on the ctOS), and he's already hacked the jail's computer system once. Even if they dig up the guy who booked him and he were to say, "Wait, that rear end in a top hat's name wasn't Smith, it was Aiden Pearce," finding him's going to be a bitch for the aforementioned reasons. You have to wait for somebody to recognize and report him.

I'm not really invested in defending the game, but it occurred to me reading the thread that the game's already addressed a lot of the issues people were bringing up, and in addressing them, invalidated the stated reasoning for him going into the prison in the first place. It's actually pretty funny.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Snak posted:

There's literally a mechanic in the game where, if your reputation gets too low, civilians will recognize you and call the cops. Then the cops show up and you kill a shitton of them and get away. And the like, their search is over. Law enforcement is like, welp he killed the first 20 squad cars we sent after him, so I guess he just gets away. As if there's not a literal trail of destruction and traffic accidents leading all the way to his hideout. Like he probably ran right through traffic and caused a bunch of cars to stop immediately before entering his hideout.
That's marginally more realistic than GTA's infinite cops.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Wanderer posted:

There are no surviving witnesses to the Jail Basement Massacre aside from the guy who's theoretically been intimidated into not talking

Just realized this is going to be a real awkward conversation when that guy is discovered. One live prisoner surrounded by a dozen dead guards? Hello multiple life sentences.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Edminster posted:

Just realized this is going to be a real awkward conversation when that guy is discovered. One live prisoner surrounded by a dozen dead guards? Hello multiple life sentences.

Well, the guards were shot in the knees by a shotgun, and the guy doesn't have a shotgun on him. Given the average competency level of the guards, I'm pretty sure they'll just say 'Couldn't have been him!' and be confused. And let's not forget the camera saw the Vigilante (or the pixel blur, rather) leaving the room, so it's possible they'll know the Vigilante killed the guards.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Snak posted:

I don't think you can hold this mechanic against Watch_Dogs since basically every open-world game does this, from GTA and Saints Row to Hulk Ultimate Destruction.

Do enough damage/kill enough people and more people show up hostile towards you in finite amounts. Once they're dead that's it. Clean slate.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

GeneralYeti posted:

Well, the guards were shot in the knees by a shotgun, and the guy doesn't have a shotgun on him. Given the average competency level of the guards, I'm pretty sure they'll just say 'Couldn't have been him!' and be confused. And let's not forget the camera saw the Vigilante (or the pixel blur, rather) leaving the room, so it's possible they'll know the Vigilante killed the guards.

Yeah, plus the guy doesn't have any powder residue on him. All the evidence would back up his story of the strange man who came in, killed a dozen men for mysterious reasons of his own, and left.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I don't think you can hold this mechanic against Watch_Dogs since basically every open-world game does this, from GTA and Saints Row to Hulk Ultimate Destruction.

Do enough damage/kill enough people and more people show up hostile towards you in finite amounts. Once they're dead that's it. Clean slate.

What can be held against it though is having a morality gauge that doesn't actually affect anything other than how random NPCs react to you.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I liked the morality gauge in Red Dead Redemption. It had different, alternative benefits for being really good or evil, neither of which felt TOO out of place in a morally ambiguous gunman in the Wild West.

and if you wanted to commit a crime without impacting your morality gauge? Well. That's what the bandana was for.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

There's a mission in Saints Row 2 where you break into a prison (same prison you break out of in the tutorial), find someone, and then walk right out leaving a trail of carnage behind you. And it works in the narrative because Saints Row is a heightened reality where everything works on Action Movie Power Fantasy rules. The Boss can go where ever he/she wants because they're the loving Boss and they fist fight Micheal Dorn, have motorcycle sword fights with not-Yakuza, rob banks disguised as themself, and eventually punch aliens into space.

Watch_Dogs wants to pull off this gritty, realistic world, but also wants Aiden to be such a bad-rear end that he can go anywhere and do anything (except overpower a man twice his age with a bum leg or shoot the bad guy when he has a chance or wear a t-shirt) and never does the game allow want to let these two ideas clash. And yeah, you don't want the player to get bored with busywork or feel powerless in an action game, but they could have used the semi-realistic complications of breaking into/out of a prison to actually make an interesting level or gameplay challenge. Instead you just stroll around a hallway, shoot some mooks, and walk right out.

I'd say Watch_Dogs wants to have its cake and eat it too, but it really feels like Watch_Dogs is just demanding cake over and over without realizing it actually wants some pie.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Motto posted:

What can be held against it though is having a morality gauge that doesn't actually affect anything other than how random NPCs react to you.

That's fair. At least it doesn't penalize you for not saving people like that one Spiderman game.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Wanderer posted:

Aiden has enough stroke in the ctOS system that the system's facial recognition software can't pick him up. You can't go looking for known associates; he has no friends, his family is conspicuously not home, and if they think to ask Jackson's therapist, she doesn't know a drat thing. You can't go to his house, because he doesn't have one. Unless they devote a bunch of units to driving in circles in the hopes that one of them runs him over, Aiden's a ghost in the machine. He could have spent the entire elevator ride from the prison basement to the roof waving his naked rear end at the nearest camera and it wouldn't matter. One of the recurring threads in Watch_Dogs is that they've hooked everything into the central system, whether it's traffic control, security networks, or even cheap toys, and that Aiden is the first of many ways in which this is biting them on the rear end.

If the writing in the game were more competent, this'd be a legitimate plot point. For all the benefits that immunity and invisibility in the system garners, the fact that Aiden's a pathetic loner that's way too hung up on vengeance and romanticism would probably lead to some sort of downfall, or at the very least have a huge impact on how other characters interact with him. Of course, they couldn't go full-tilt with that ideal and had to give him a wife and dead kid cousin and dead niece to try and make him more 'likable'. And it can't be direct family, because - y'know, have explain how he can stay far away from them for extended periods of time, without them minding too much, to keep under the radar, as most hackers are wont to do in 2013.

Really, Aiden Pearce is kind of like Travis Touchdown. They both live in lovely motels, barely have any social activity, most likely have miserable lives outside of their underground jobs, and (at least in Desperate Struggle) get caught up in exacting revenge - Except with Aiden's room, it's not really being highlighted in its introduction as a crappy nerd den, Aiden doesn't need to do any goofy lawnmower or coconut-collecting jobs to pay his bills, And despite being a creep to women and generally antagonistic to everyone else, Aiden's not getting into any kind of trouble for it.

Aiden drags his extended family into this mess and gets a dead niece out of it, and somehow doesn't work out that maybe he should try and withdraw from the hacker world to stop more of his family from dying. Meanwhile, aside from a bunch of distant relatives that also happen to be insane murderers, the closest relationships we see in Travis' life are with a video rental store owner and a cat. In the original premise of Travis' character, he's in the fight only for himself, because it's made clear that he'll probably get killed in his sleep if he stops.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
Seriously, Jacks, what the gently caress

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
That's not what I was expecting.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Speaking of Hank the Chog, didn't Chip say he lost that Duke Nukem Sonic RPG video in one of the streams? (The Parroty Interactive one?) I stumbled upon it a while ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJJSbId_W-U

Gotta love them Chog origins. ...Chorigins.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Gamerofthegame posted:

That's not what I was expecting.

Yeah. What ever happened to a good ol' dickbutting?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah. What ever happened to a good ol' dickbutting?

It just doesn't have the same impact now that it's the first thing anyone expects.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Geemer posted:

Speaking of Hank the Chog, didn't Chip say he lost that Duke Nukem Sonic RPG video in one of the streams? (The Parroty Interactive one?) I stumbled upon it a while ago.
He literally made a game in RPG Maker and then lost the game he made in RPG Maker. Surely there has never been a greater loss in the history of Let Us Play.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I don't get why Aiden has to be a vigilante in this story. I don't understand how a writer looked at this and decided that it was important and made sense for the narrative as it is presented that this guy is a vigilante.

Because when the story demands that some guy breaks into prison to blackmail some other guy that could rat him out and he ends up shooting a dozen cops in the process then vigilante isn't really a thing that comes to my mind.
It's not like criminal protagonists in open world games don't work. Why do they feel the need to jump through the hoops of making all these cops out to be cartoonishly evil motherfuckers, when the story, as presented so far, works fine if we just assume that Aiden is just a regular superhacker cybercriminal that got in over his head. And now he's out for revenge. I don't get the justification for him being a vigilante when everything he does in the story is just regular old crime. It's not like I can't believe it if they tell me that some criminal is a devoted uncle-father and gets along well with his ex-wifesister. At least he'd be honest with himself if he was just a regular old criminal rather than pretending to be a vigilante stopping petty theft before turning around and emptying someones bank account and then murdering some people for his crime day job.

Is it just because the team came up with this silly facebook follower crime prevention mechanic and thought they should run with that angle to stand out amongst the competition? They don't really seem to want to commit to that theme. The new batman at least tries to make the idea of an open world game with a heroic protagonist work. It had to come up with a convoluted justification where the city is empty of nice people and they make everyone roll their eyes at the totally not lethal tank guns, but at least they bothered thinking about the narrative problems.

That said, the car stunt from the prison looked pretty neat.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Great Joe posted:

He literally made a game in RPG Maker and then lost the game he made in RPG Maker. Surely there has never been a greater loss in the history of Let Us Play.

Oh drat. That's far worse than I thought. :gonk:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Does the reputation mechanic do anything other than affect how frequently the civilians call the cops on you? Because if so it's not a reputation track but a morality track and a really poor one at that since one moral alignment is clearly superior to the other. And it's not that hard to maintain if you can run around causing car accidents and firing grenades while remaining a protector or whatever a good guy is.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

White Coke posted:

Does the reputation mechanic do anything other than affect how frequently the civilians call the cops on you? Because if so it's not a reputation track but a morality track and a really poor one at that since one moral alignment is clearly superior to the other. And it's not that hard to maintain if you can run around causing car accidents and firing grenades while remaining a protector or whatever a good guy is.
Considering the story looks like it's cobbled together out of bits from several different drafts, it wouldn't surprise me if the Reputation meter is a remnant of a scrapped mechanic or something.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Raygereio posted:

Considering the story looks like it's cobbled together out of bits from several different drafts, it wouldn't surprise me if the Reputation meter is a remnant of a scrapped mechanic or something.

Watch_Dogs is basically Raven's Cry but with more money wasted.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Watch_Dogs is basically Raven's Cry but with more money wasted.

I just watched the LP of that in the other thread - there is no way Raven's Cry is worse than Watch Dogs... Well maybe more hilarious than...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

auzdark posted:

I just watched the LP of that in the other thread - there is no way Raven's Cry is worse than Watch Dogs... Well maybe more hilarious than...
Watch_Dogs despite all its flaws is still a perfectly playable game.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

auzdark posted:

I'm sorry, does Watch_Dogs have Aiden rape a nun??

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Accordion Man posted:

Watch_Dogs despite all its flaws is still a perfectly playable game.

Watch_Dogs is poo poo in that it's a mediocre open world game with nothing interesting going on outside of people being morons and Aiden being a horrible character. Raven's Cry is terrible but it's amusingly terrible.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm pretty sure the guys in charge of the minigames were the b-team of Ubisoft... which means they may have been paid less but were also under less pressure to make stuff that conformed to the committee-designed diluted "vision" of the game. Hence Spider-Tank and the other awesome Digital Trips, the honestly-pretty-clever Chess minigames, the Coin Rush AR game and the other AR game we haven't seen yet in this thread.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Everyone at Ubi seems to be a pretty good video games person on some level based on some of their passion projects or even looking at limited snapshots of their triple-A titles. But somewhere in between the 18 functional groups working together there is a mechanism set to lunacy that makes the trains turn at 90 degree angles and turns the protagonist into some sort of anti-anti-hero.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

utonium posted:

Seriously, Jacks, what the gently caress

I would prefer to play this game. Uncle picks up hacking to try and be cool with his nephew and hijinks ensue.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Watch_Dogs 2 is the story of Jacks becoming the new Vigilante and setting out to fix the image his Uncle/Dad ruined in the first game.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

Leal posted:

I would prefer to play this game. Uncle picks up hacking to try and be cool with his nephew and hijinks ensue.
I'm gonna guess the next mission is Aiden hacking his nephew's tablet and deleting all his games.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'm kind of (and also not all not) surprised that not once so far (or I think ever) does Aiden ever do any hacking to like, cover his tracks. Like that seems like something that might actually make sense, right?

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Do we ever encounter any fixers that can manipulate faraway objects in the same way Aiden can, or would that be just giving the game way too much credit?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Some guy with pizza and a TV remote should be the new heavy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morroque posted:

Do we ever encounter any fixers that can manipulate faraway objects in the same way Aiden can, or would that be just giving the game way too much credit?

It's hard to say anything without spoiling but I'll put a vague answer here:

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Last week's MGS stream is now up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYEsdkpImoQ

• Locked thread