Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You've gotta watch what you say man, someone might get their feelings hurt!!

edit: Catwoman's boobie outfit is imo much more of a cause for concern. Calling her a bitch in itself isn't so bad because it's just a generic mean thing to say about somebody but I do agree that Arkham City went a LITTLE bit too heavy on how often it shows up. "Bitch" is like their go-to insult which is a little uncreative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CJacobs posted:

You've gotta watch what you say man, someone might get their feelings hurt!!

edit: Catwoman's boobie outfit is imo much more of a cause for concern. Calling her a bitch in itself isn't so bad because it's just a generic mean thing to say about somebody but I do agree that Arkham City went a LITTLE bit too heavy on how often it shows up. "Bitch" is like their go-to insult which is a little uncreative.

Well apparently the murderous thugs of Gotham don't like saying anything more profane than bitch in this 18 rated game. :shrug:

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

Well apparently the murderous thugs of Gotham don't like saying anything more profane than bitch in this 18 rated game. :shrug:

hosed up. Really they should be screaming about penetrating her pussy with their steel pipe or some poo poo. I mean if we're being realistic. Why not I wonder. Did Rocksteady hold back for the feminists way back then?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CJacobs posted:

edit: Catwoman's boobie outfit is imo much more of a cause for concern.

Her outfit is loving dire. Even past the boobs hanging out for no good reason, why the gently caress does she keep goggles with her if she never puts them on?

It still looked conservative as gently caress compared to...whatever that thing they have Ivy in in Knight is though. Jesus.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TheJoker138 posted:

Her outfit is loving dire. Even past the boobs hanging out for no good reason, why the gently caress does she keep goggles with her if she never puts them on?

It still looked conservative as gently caress compared to...whatever that thing they have Ivy in in Knight is though. Jesus.

She does put them on if you use detective mode!

Hashy posted:

hosed up. Really they should be screaming about penetrating her pussy with their steel pipe or some poo poo. I mean if we're being realistic. Why not I wonder. Did Rocksteady hold back for the feminists way back then?

There are more creative insults than the word "bitch" that don't use more profane language, dummy

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The dlc isn't out in the US yet correct?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

In all seriousness, I am hoping Rocksteady does justice to batgirl.

After playing through all the main story of Arkham Knight, I don't necessarily think the writers don't know how to write women.

They just really, really love kidnapping characters. Its their crutch. And they use it often.

So often.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

I still don't get why people were so upset about violent, murderous thugs using a...gasp...gendered insult in Arkham City. That seems like the exact kind of thing poo poo heads like the thugs in these games would do, right up until Catwoman beat them senseless.

Why should a comic book videogame opt for verisimilitude with that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"If I were Batman, I'd rob ten banks then retire. I guess that's why I'm not Batman. :("

These goons.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

plape tickler posted:

The dlc isn't out in the US yet correct?

Correct. While I was googling this, I saw a thread on GameFAQs that says someone finished it in 45 minutes. Is that true? Cause drat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's a video on Youtube of someone finishing it in 50 minutes, yeah.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Are they racing to the finish line or something?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dunno! It seems like they're not looking for the teeth, ballons, and jack in the boxes, I guess.

There's a conversation where some of the goons talk about how dinosaur bugs got stuck in "orange glass", how glass is orange in its natural state, and how modern day glass has to be refined and exposed to chemicals to become transparent. And then the cop starts arguing with them about whether krakens were real and whether or not they are dinosaurs. :allears:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

You all have AIDS, and not the cool Joker kind where he's Tyler Durpen' around your head.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

That sucked, they've just stripped out too many gadgets to make it fun, and it's more than a little lacking in presentational polish. It's like trying to go back and play Arkham Asylum but with none of the progression or exploration rewards that made it interesting. If you saw the trailer you basically saw the entire DLC.

it just kinda ends really abruptly too. You think there's going to be another act then it just fades away. I finished it in maybe 50 minutes just progressing normally without rushing.

e: I want to know whether the people that posted "oh yeah I'm 2 hours in and maybe 60% through this" were paid or something because that poo poo was maybe an hour tops if you dont wander around in a directionless hunt for the useless collectables

Hashy fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 14, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Batgirl's gadgets are the Batarangs, Batclaw, Explosive Gel, Smoke Pellet, Line Launcher, and Remote Hacking Device.

I was hoping she'd get something unique.

Hashy posted:

it just kinda ends really abruptly too.

Animations during the boss fight looked a little stiff, too. Particularly things involving stopping the Joker's stabs and shots.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Probably the worst offense is that they took away the critical counter.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSByC-o9nqk

Here's a semi-neat thing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The final audio log creeped me out. :(

But anyway, completed it a minute ago - just got the trophy for collectibles to go which shouldn't be a problem as you get plonked down in the oil rig after the boss fight.

I enjoyed it! I mean I can definitely see where people are coming from in regards to its length (turns out my earlier remark of being "halfway" through it at about two hours was very generous...) but I find it difficult to say it'd be worth less than the 6.99 they'll be asking for when it's released for everyone. The DLC bounces you from combat encounter to predator encounter to larger combat encounter, etc, like it was a linked set of challenge maps more than anything. Story has no real twists or surprises (it doesn't seem to imply anything from the Killing Joke from what I can tell) and I wasn't able to figure out if there are easter eggs involving the comics. Audio logs make mention of characters from Asylum and that's about it.

Just see it as Goon Chatter: The DLC pack and you'll think it's wonderful. :allears:

One thing that did surprise me was how many unique assets have been created for it. There's a lot of variety in the Joker goons, and a significant chunk of the background scenery seems to have been made exclusively for the DLC - down to sign posts, posters and the like. It jumped out at me and I'm wondering if they're going to re-use a bunch of this in the future or if it's just already tucked away in the main game?

And there's no gendered insults at all FWIW. The comment about biting I mentioned earlier, and a goon threatening to "beat the pretty" out of Batgirl but that's hardly anything to get sniffy about. For all Rocksteady's faults they seem to have taken City's criticism on-board.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

It was pretty fun, but given it was hyped as the main thing to get the Season Pass for, it was pretty short. Could have thrown in a challenge map or two at least.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The Catwoman/Arkham City stuff is so annoying because basically the criminals all have two modes. They either think she's a bitch or they want to gently caress her. If they want to insult her it's fine, but then I wish that they'd come out with something more creative than just relying on the same stuff over and over.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's p. cool how even if you don't want the DLC a mult-gig update still crams itself up your system's rear end, needlessly bloating it.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Steve2911 posted:

We're still talking about Arkham CITY, Rated T for Teen, Arkham Knight is the first Batman Game Rated M

Hashy posted:

So this would be going WAAAY to far.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Cooke's Catwoman outfit looks so cool when it's zipped up and has the goggles in place and she never actually did that in these stupid games except in her freaky detective mode stand in :smith:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
It's funny that they kept calling Catwoman a bitch because she's not a female dog. Thugs r dum.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Maybe it's just me, but the tone of this game is really loving dark. I think it's my favorite in the series so far.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Help, I'm vaguely excited about a skin.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Nckdictator posted:

That's pretty rad. I wonder what the batmobile looks like when it turns into a tank.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nckdictator posted:

Wearing this skin lets you straight-up murder mooks.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nckdictator posted:

Source on this? (reverse gis didn't turn up anything)

nvm: here

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 14, 2015

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

that batmobile render looks fake as poo poo, pretty sure this isn't actually a thing

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Nckdictator posted:

This looks too good to be real. Is the tank mode the armored form from the movie or what?

After seeing the 60s batmobile reskin was just some decals I gave up any expectation of getting legit Batmobiles.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

from same link as above

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say the custom skins for the non-Batman characters tick me off since there's so little chance to play as them.

Edit:

Does Batgirl come with a challenge room or anything like that?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if that's real I'd def get the 1989 batman. that other skin pack though get eat poo poo, lol at buying skins for characters that you can barely play as.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

if that's real I'd def get the 1989 batman. that other skin pack though get eat poo poo, lol at buying skins for characters that you can barely play as.
It's all legit.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

More Robin skins is cool because it means I don't have to look at Skinhead Tim.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I feel like I remember hearing way back, like when they first introduced the dual fighting mechanic, that they were gonna include more stuff for other characters down the line. Although the shortness of the DLC so far doesn't give me huge hopes, but at least some more challenge maps or something, hopefully. It's pretty dumb that they give you skins for characters you literally can't even see once you've progressed far enough in the game.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Dick and Tim with hair is much better than what they're both rockin in the game. I switched them to New 52 for now, but Tim still looks really wrong. Batman on the furthest right is Nolan, right? I'll take that one since the cowl didn't get brought with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ahahahahaha, that's a Damian Wayne skin for Tim.

Tt.

• Locked thread