Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Oblivious posted:

Are you talking about FF14 1.0 the game that was burned to the ground or FF14 ARR the game that was built atop its smoldering ruins.

The latter has had fast travel since launch. The game explains this at length.

I was referring to 2.0. I do vaguely remember transporting between big cities via the large crystal, but I don't recall many of the smaller areas having one. It's been awhile, so I could be forgetting. I guess I was just spoiled by GW2 with warp points everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Alabaster White posted:

I forgot how bad FF3 was. It's a rare day when a modern remake of a NES RPG is somehow more backwards and unfun than the original.

I wish we had gotten just the straight up wonderswan/ps1/gba style remake that ff1 and 2 got, a project along those lines probably would've been better focused on fixing some of the crummy gameplay and wouldn't have looked immediately graphically dated.

If I recall correctly there were short comings in the ff3ds engine that meant they could only have a very limited amount of enemies on screen compared to the original's 8, hence the number of enemies that hit like trucks and can get in multiple attacks before your team even acts. I'm not exactly sure who was clamoring for a full 3d remake of 3 that making terrible gameplay decisions in favor of a terrible looking 3d engine was necessary. Frankly I'd have been happy with the half assed rpg maker style remakes square did for 5 and 6 with some quality of life stuff added in and the wonky balance evened out.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Captain Oblivious posted:

Are you talking about FF14 1.0 the game that was burned to the ground or FF14 ARR the game that was built atop its smoldering ruins.

The best part of FF14 is that this happened both metaphorically IRL and literally in the game's lore.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

So I've been playing XIV since people talk about it as if it's the best Final Fantasy thing ever. Is there a particular point where the game really gets great?

I'm at about level 11, it's fine so far but it basically feels like WOW with Final Fantasy music.

It IS WoW with FF music and elements. What it is is by far the best WoW style MMO since WoW, with some amazing quality of life enhancements (I will never again play a MMO without easy class swapping), a ton of polish, and constant development and content releases.

The early going is a touch slow since the game assumes you have never played a MMO before (the first few dungeons are basically remedial MMO dungeon classes), but once you get into the 30s, unlock your jobs, and pass Titan it really picks up.

There is also a huge improvement in quality of content over time. That isn't to say that the content from the 2.0 release is poor, but comparing those quests/cutscenes/dungeons to those from the end of the the 2.X patch cycle and the expansion is night and day.

Also play with the FF goons.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ragequit posted:

I was referring to 2.0. I do vaguely remember transporting between big cities via the large crystal, but I don't recall many of the smaller areas having one. It's been awhile, so I could be forgetting. I guess I was just spoiled by GW2 with warp points everywhere.

Every zone in the game has an Aethyrite Crystal that can be teleported to.

Edit: Except one in the expansion

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

pretty soft girl posted:

I wish we had gotten just the straight up wonderswan/ps1/gba style remake that ff1 and 2 got, a project along those lines probably would've been better focused on fixing some of the crummy gameplay and wouldn't have looked immediately graphically dated.

Apparently there was one in development at some point, before it got quietly canned. See if I can find it; I believe Mega64 post it originally.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The quality of ff14's story is highly exaggerated, imo. It can get pretty good but there's alot of boring stretches in the 2.0 story, and 2.1-3 also kind of sucked. Heavensward was consistently good though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Apparently there was one in development at some point, before it got quietly canned. See if I can find it; I believe Mega64 post it originally.

They were developing a version for the Wonderswan Color, I think they even released a couple screenshots for it, but it never materialized. Don't know what happened, I've heard they may have lost the source code which is partly why they rebuilt the game for FF3DS, or maybe the Wonderswan Color was in its death throes by the time they were first developing it. Kind of weird though that they ended up cleaning up the first two games a bit for the PS1 release and then altered those games again for the GBA to make them more accessible yet didn't touch FF3 until they decided to make a full-on 3D remake that ended up being arguably more punishingly difficult and poorly-designed than the original.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Found it!
Sorry Mega64, was confusing you for That loving Sned;

That loving Sned posted:

Final Fantasy III was actually in development for the Wonderswan Color, and there are a few screenshots of it.

There's an article on it here.

Mega64 posted:

They were developing a version for the Wonderswan Color, I think they even released a couple screenshots for it, but it never materialized. Don't know what happened, I've heard they may have lost the source code which is partly why they rebuilt the game for FF3DS, or maybe the Wonderswan Color was in its death throes by the time they were first developing it. Kind of weird though that they ended up cleaning up the first two games a bit for the PS1 release and then altered those games again for the GBA to make them more accessible yet didn't touch FF3 until they decided to make a full-on 3D remake that ended up being arguably more punishingly difficult and poorly-designed than the original.

Yeah, it is kinda odd. The article in the post states a dev saying something about the memory limitations, but the actual article itself believes it was just the costs of doing something for the wonderswan as it was being phased out.
The bad difficulty design was from the same chap who developed 11 and XIV 1.0 wasn't it? IIRC?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 11, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The quality of ff14's story is highly exaggerated, imo. It can get pretty good but there's alot of boring stretches in the 2.0 story, and 2.1-3 also kind of sucked. Heavensward was consistently good though.
'it can get pretty good' makes it better than most recent ff stories tbh

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pesky Splinter posted:

Found it!
Sorry Mega64, was confusing you for That loving Sned;

Yeah, it is kinda odd. The article in the post states a dev saying something about the memory limitations, but the actual article itself believes it was just the costs of doing something for the wonderswan as it was being phased out.
The bad difficulty design was from the same chap who developed 11 and XIV 1.0 wasn't it? IIRC?

Hiromichi Tanaka.

He actually worked on the original FFIII as well.

He seems to have... odd ideas on game design.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
FF3 DS was one of the shittiest games I've ever owned.

Also it sparked the beginning of the lovely graphical style that has continued in the FF4 remake and Bravely Default, where all the characters look like big headed dolls.

As far as portable games go, I think they should have stuck with the clean and attractive sprites used in the GBA games, at least until they have hardware that can consistently produce 3D models on the level of FFXHD at the least.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Armitage posted:

It's where you get the dark knight to be a temporary part of your Warriors of Darkness party. I've gotten to the point where he joins the battle. Problem is he misses his attacks, a lot, but that's something that's been normal throughout the game. I've found Precision Shot to be the best skill so far, and am grinding to get all my characters to get it. Unfortunately the dark knight that joins up doesn't have it.

...wow, I am STILL drawing a complete blank. I played that game only a year ago, and I've forgotten tons about it. I dunno, IIRC, that means your in the second chapter of the Dark Warriors? That means I think you should be around level 30...I think. If it's damage you're having trouble keeping up on, switch your other magic user to Red Mage, like you should have been using for the first chapter, for another form of healing and buffs (I don't remember, do you even get Protect in that chapter?) with damage on the side.

Yeah, I also remember him missing a lot, I think it's cus his ability don't have good accuracy. Just stick to normal attacks on him. If I'm remembering right, you can't job change those guests, but their Job itself is usually good enough. At that stage a lot of your Jobs are going to be at most, level 7. Stick with your main jobs for now and level grind a bit if you still can't beat it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Isn't that fight literally just "spam red mage healing as you've done all game until the dark knight joins the fray, have him spam dark magic attacks until you win?" Can dark magic attacks even miss?

Edit: Dark Knight is great since you can get attack from the back row with it. Then your final party gets to be 4 warriors of darkness spamming that multi-hit F-ability from the back row over and over again while whatever warrior of light schmuck spams great wall and healing.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 11, 2015

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
gently caress doing that though, that's not very fun. My final party was a Paladin with Final Heaven, Mighty Guard, and White Wind, Seer, Magus, Dark Knight with Phantom Rush (the skill you were talking about), and Ninja with Mitsuwhatever the name is that hits eight times (16? with dual wield, don't remember).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Annath posted:

FF3 DS was one of the shittiest games I've ever owned.

Also it sparked the beginning of the lovely graphical style that has continued in the FF4 remake and Bravely Default, where all the characters look like big headed dolls.

As far as portable games go, I think they should have stuck with the clean and attractive sprites used in the GBA games, at least until they have hardware that can consistently produce 3D models on the level of FFXHD at the least.

FF3 DS is one of the few main Fantasies that I've owned and didn't complete (with 2, 12, and 13). The difficulty spike is just so absurd that even when you overcome it, it never feels fun. That's the worst part of it. It never feels fun, and I love the job class system in any game. Plus all the early Fantasy weirdness like Phoenix Downs being the rarest things on Earth and no save points made it a real slog. I don't like when I feel like I need to just grind. Like sure in FFXHD I did some grinding, but I wanted Energy Rain so that's fine. It's my choice. In FF3 when I hit a hard boss I just think "Well gently caress, better grind about 10 more levels and not use up too many Cura charges before I get to the boss."

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I finally took that guy down after leveling to 35. That area was the first time I felt I was a bit over my head in the game. I might have been a bit over leveled in other sections of the game so far, but with the encounter rate the way it is, it's kind of hard not to be over leveled. Oh well, onward! :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gologle posted:

gently caress doing that though, that's not very fun. My final party was a Paladin with Final Heaven, Mighty Guard, and White Wind, Seer, Magus, Dark Knight with Phantom Rush (the skill you were talking about), and Ninja with Mitsuwhatever the name is that hits eight times (16? with dual wield, don't remember).

Oh yeah, no, the game is crazy easy even its bonus content so there really is no reason not to just run a party of whatever you like. FF Dimensions really could have used more post-game content in my opinion.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
On a vaguely FF related note, saw Distant Worlds (the traveling orchestral FF thing they do) for the first time last night and was pretty blown away.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I'm playing FF Tactics, and is there some hidden scaling thing I'm missing, because I'm at like the 3rd story mission (Zeklaus Desert) and enemies are doing like 70 damage to me despite my team around level 5 while they're like level 3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Non-story missions in FFT scale to your level but I didn't think story ones did.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Tae posted:

So I'm playing FF Tactics, and is there some hidden scaling thing I'm missing, because I'm at like the 3rd story mission (Zeklaus Desert) and enemies are doing like 70 damage to me despite my team around level 5 while they're like level 3.

They probably have better equipment than you. Other possibilities:
Zeklaus Desert has some monks, if I recall. Monk attack damage is directly related to their Brave levels, which are random. If you got some monks with high brave, they'll hit pretty drat hard.
Zodiac compatibility. Every character has a zodiac sign, which influences how "compatible" they are with other signs. They can range from worst (same sex, opposite signs), bad, neutral, good, and best (opposite sex, opposite signs). A character attacking someone with best compatibility will do significantly more damage. The AI isn't bad at prioritizing targets they can hurt the most, so they'll often seem like they're doing high damage because they're prioritizing based on damage rather than based on other factors.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I'm assuming FF Tactics is a grindy strategy game? Nothing wrong with that, just been a while since I played a game that requires some serious skirmish grinding just to keep up.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
No, not really. FFT is one of those games that often seems really hard when you first play it (and it sometimes seems to have an inverse difficulty curve), but once you get how it works it's really easy. For example, one of the easiest ways to handle Chapter 1 is probably to just make everyone black mages. You can nuke your way through the storyline without engaging in a single random battle. You'll probably be half the enemy's level by the end of the chapter.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tae posted:

So I'm assuming FF Tactics is a grindy strategy game? Nothing wrong with that, just been a while since I played a game that requires some serious skirmish grinding just to keep up.

If you grind out Gained JP Up and Auto-Potion from the first two classes, you can pretty much never grind again and just level jobs through the story.

Getting Auto-Potion and selling all your normal Potions for Hi-Pots breaks the difficulty, that said.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
What is the android version of FfT: war of the Lin's like? Decent or should I get it on vita?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Falcon2001 posted:

On a vaguely FF related note, saw Distant Worlds (the traveling orchestral FF thing they do) for the first time last night and was pretty blown away.

i saw that myself, did uematsu show up again?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MrAptronym posted:

Okay, I am sold. SE, bring on the HD re-release so I can waste my money. Most of my complaints with a game I already love have been addressed.

I just hope that if they do an HD re-release, they can improve the sound quality. Seriously FF12 sounds like poo poo with their low quality codecs.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I hope they rerecord all the dialogue with new actors at the finest interstate rest stop they can find.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So I finally tried out that FF4 ROM hack, Unprecedented Crisis, just made it to the Underworld. I'm pretty impressed so far, the early game's even easier now due to the character changes but once the plot diverges from the original the difficulty amps up quickly. Been lucky enough to not wipe yet, but I've definitely had to earn victories.

The biggest thing is there's no real way to heal. Rosa's now a pure Archer who only knows Slow and Haste to start with, and haven't run into Palom and Porom yet though I probably will soon. You're gonna have to rely on items to heal, so if anyone plays this hack be sure to stock up after the plot divergence.

Otherwise, all the various changes make for an interesting challenge, and the team's shaken up enough to have different formations from the original to keep you on your toes. That said, other than Rydia and Edward[/url] it's mostly been physical attackers so far, though there is some diversity. The added plot is pretty fine, adding a bit of humor and making a few tweaks here and there that actually improves some characters ([spoiler]Rosa, comeptent!?).

I hear the difficulty's supposed to ramp up soon, but so far I'm getting a kick out of it and highly recommend checking it out if you're a big fan of the original game.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Lethemonster posted:

What is the android version of FfT: war of the Lin's like? Decent or should I get it on vita?

It's the same game, but it has a workaround for the slowdown problem which the Vita (PSP) version lacks - get the mobile phone version if you want the superior one.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Digging into FFT Android port while FFXIV is down. Wish me luck.

Name suggestions? Funniest/cleverest one wins and gets to pick birthdate.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Mega64 posted:

So I finally tried out that FF4 ROM hack, Unprecedented Crisis, just made it to the Underworld. I'm pretty impressed so far, the early game's even easier now due to the character changes but once the plot diverges from the original the difficulty amps up quickly. Been lucky enough to not wipe yet, but I've definitely had to earn victories.

The biggest thing is there's no real way to heal. Rosa's now a pure Archer who only knows Slow and Haste to start with, and haven't run into Palom and Porom yet though I probably will soon. You're gonna have to rely on items to heal, so if anyone plays this hack be sure to stock up after the plot divergence.

Otherwise, all the various changes make for an interesting challenge, and the team's shaken up enough to have different formations from the original to keep you on your toes. That said, other than Rydia and Edward[/url] it's mostly been physical attackers so far, though there is some diversity. The added plot is pretty fine, adding a bit of humor and making a few tweaks here and there that actually improves some characters ([spoiler]Rosa, comeptent!?).

I hear the difficulty's supposed to ramp up soon, but so far I'm getting a kick out of it and highly recommend checking it out if you're a big fan of the original game.

I got half of the underworld crystals and took a break since it felt like I kinda needed to grind a bit just to take on the Holy crystal I should pick it back up again. I'm curious what it does with some of the skipped dungeons and areas.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I've been playing FFXIII-2 for the first time. Holy poo poo it's a short game. Even with all the side stuff, the ending comes really fast. I'm not quite at the end yet, but I'm right there before the final Acadeimia. I'm just amazed because, if I had done no side stuff at all, this game would be lucky to break the 10 hour mark. I think even X-2 had a longer main story.

But I'm planning on getting Lightning Returns next month. I hear it plays completely differently from XIII and XIII-2. Is it a particularly hard game? How long is it?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

So I've been playing FFXIII-2 for the first time. Holy poo poo it's a short game. Even with all the side stuff, the ending comes really fast. I'm not quite at the end yet, but I'm right there before the final Acadeimia. I'm just amazed because, if I had done no side stuff at all, this game would be lucky to break the 10 hour mark. I think even X-2 had a longer main story.

But I'm planning on getting Lightning Returns next month. I hear it plays completely differently from XIII and XIII-2. Is it a particularly hard game? How long is it?

Maybe 20 hours? It depends on if you try to do everything or not.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
LR has difficulty settings. I played it on hard the first time and it was a decent challenge. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You can't play it on hard the first time, as it's unlocked by finishing the game

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
LR needs to loving come out on Steam! I skipped it on the PS3 so I'm amped to play it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

The first "ending" or the real ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I loaded up Type-0 again last night for a bit, and yeah, the motion blur is much better now. I can't tell if they just slowed the camera slightly or turned the blur effect down but it is much nicer now. Worth another look if that was driving you off.