Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A ticket came in.

Long story short, the lead anchor can't get something working on a website.

I get up there and start looking for a workaround and the anchor starts sighing and huffing.

Then I notice an awfully warm breeze coming from under the desk. loving space heater.

Then she lets out another huge sigh and says, "I really don't have time to deal with this right now."

"Fine," I replied, "Neither do I."

I bent down, grabbed the heater, and walked off. gently caress your high school prima donna attitude.

BONUS!! Convinced the GM we need to start budgeting, at the very least, user computer upgrades. Meeting tomorrow with GM and Chief Engineer to decide how to proceed. I'm not backing down on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dick Trauma posted:

The last straw at one of my many lovely jobs (911 for a sheriff's office) was when I was taking an emergency call and one of the bigot fuckheads I worked with threw a roll of toilet paper at my head. It hit me flat side first, almost knocking my headset off. It took all of my will not to just walk out in that moment. I didn't last much longer there but at least the period of unemployment that followed led me to my next rewarding career adventure: call center supervision.

:smithicide:

I always thought that having to support the call center was the worst thing. As least when you're the manager you still get to call your IT people and say, "Hey shithead fuckface dodobrains, lick my shoe and stay all night working on something I'll forget about tomorrow"

That was, until I saw how soulless and horrible an existence it is basically babysitting an animal farm.

larchesdanrew posted:

I bent down, grabbed the heater, and walked off. gently caress your high school prima donna attitude.

BONUS!! Convinced the GM we need to start budgeting, at the very least, user computer upgrades. Meeting tomorrow with GM and Chief Engineer to decide how to proceed. I'm not backing down on this.

This is the best thing.
Was it plugged into a UPS?

A ticket came in yesterday about a computer that kept powering off randomly.
They had plugged a huge fuckoff copier into the 350VA UPS that was powering the desktop.
I unplugged the printer and closed the ticket. I'm waiting for another ticket to come fix the printer.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 13, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

A ticket came in.

I get up there and start looking for a workaround and the anchor starts sighing and huffing.

Then I notice an awfully warm breeze coming from under the desk. loving space heater.

Then she lets out another huge sigh and says, "I really don't have time to deal with this right now."

Why is everyone always a dick? Like, are they projecting it at you or just at the situation?

Dumb dicks

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is the best thing.
Was it plugged into a UPS?

Nope, a really old power strip :downs:

KoRMaK posted:

Why is everyone always a dick?

Welcome to broadcast news, where I am the lowest man on a totem pole of people so obsessed with themselves they chose a career that forces people to look at them every day.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Nope, a really old power strip :downs:

Welcome to broadcast news, where I am the lowest man on a totem pole of people so obsessed with themselves they chose a career that forces people to look at them every day.
ya gotta get out then. what a toxic place.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When I have to get under a desk to work on something I don't like that horrid blast of heat from an unexpected space heater, but one person here not only has a space heater she has a heated mouse!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

larchesdanrew posted:

A ticket came in.

It's the loving middle of July! Why is there a goddamn space heater on at all? :catstare:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It's the loving middle of July! Why is there a goddamn space heater on at all? :catstare:

Old women slowly turn into liches, the process of becoming an undead office sorcerer sucks all the heat out of their bodies and it must be replaced by either the warmth of the life of a small office IT person, or alternatively a $30 space heater that dates from the sears/robuck catalog days.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Because the whole building probably has some serious AC, so even when it's 110 outside some people are still going to run cold indoors. I work for a series of medical centers and they keep things cold as gently caress all the time- so it's understandable to a degree. We have AIO's that sit on the desktops themselves, so luckily the heaters that people smuggle in don't disrupt much.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I know goons are partial to Zendesk... one of our branches pays the $125 per agent per month tier, but over here we only have two IT people and need just the most basic "turn emails into tickets, to be closed out" functionality.

Zendesk said I can just make a separate account at the starter level and try that.

My question is, exactly how gimpy is it? Am I going to be hankering for the next tier or is it decent enough for two agents? I ask because the next tier up is $25 per agent per month and at that point I think I'd rather get the Spiceworks Hosted Helpdesk for $12 and see if they grandfather me into the new features that have planned.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

I know goons are partial to Zendesk... one of our branches pays the $125 per agent per month tier, but over here we only have two IT people and need just the most basic "turn emails into tickets, to be closed out" functionality.

Zendesk said I can just make a separate account at the starter level and try that.

My question is, exactly how gimpy is it? Am I going to be hankering for the next tier or is it decent enough for two agents? I ask because the next tier up is $25 per agent per month and at that point I think I'd rather get the Spiceworks Hosted Helpdesk for $12 and see if they grandfather me into the new features that have planned.

Spiceworks is free as hell.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Freshdesk is a Zendesk clone, free for 3 agents and doesn't feel too gimped to me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zero VGS posted:

Honestly I feel like the more expensive versions of zendesk is kind of meh. I think the best verion of the software is at the most basic level.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Enough tickets came in that the day has passed with me feeling consistently stressed...

... compounded by the first time a vacation request has ever gotten rejected flat out because my boss took one day off in the middle of it already.

Heaven forbid we get the consultant to cover for the day.

So much for a family vacation this year :smith:

To be fair it was me not scheduling it until two weeks before the desired date, but you'd think that after three months of two jobs they'd make some accommodations for the guy who's been doing themAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No new prospects on the interview front. Every day I come close to just turning in my notice without another job lined up.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

MJP posted:

No new prospects on the interview front. Every day I come close to just turning in my notice without another job lined up.

Speaking from experience, this is one of the fastest cathartic > panic reactions you can experience at a job. It's a pretty interesting feeling that I think should be experienced at least once, but probably before you get to the point where you're trying to schedule family vacations.

Why didn't you request off sooner? And don't tell me you'd already gotten everything lined up as far as hotel/airfare/whatever before you thought to request off. :ohdear:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

Speaking from experience, this is one of the fastest cathartic > panic reactions you can experience at a job. It's a pretty interesting feeling that I think should be experienced at least once, but probably before you get to the point where you're trying to schedule family vacations.

Why didn't you request off sooner? And don't tell me you'd already gotten everything lined up as far as hotel/airfare/whatever before you thought to request off. :ohdear:

Fortunately it's just with the in-laws down in Cape May, every year they rent a house and we get a room in exchange for me making paella for everyone or something else nice and coastal seafoody.

Not this year.

Also I've been panicking for some time even before today :-/ Trying to figure out a way to actually manage this stress - rather than work through it, save it for later to scream out in the car, etc. - before I have a literal nervous breakdown at work.

Best of all, we employ less than 50 people within 75 miles of our headquarters, so even if I asked for FMLA they don't have to give it!

As to why I didn't request off sooner, I honestly think something's legit wrong with me where my remembering to do so (and failure to make a freaking calendar reminder for myself) was overridden by some kind of masochistic drive for all this crap. As in my self-preservation instinct has been overridden by my self-pity/self-flagellation/work-more instinct.

Holy poo poo, something is seriously loving wrong with me and goon-in-a-well isn't working.

MJP fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 13, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Freshdesk is a Zendesk clone, free for 3 agents and doesn't feel too gimped to me.

Yeah, I decided we'll go with this one for our branch since we need the tickets totally separate anyways, and I don't want ZenDesk to be like "Why are you creating multiple accounts to get past our 3 agent limit" since they can probably see multiple accounts registered to our domain.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

MJP posted:

... compounded by the first time a vacation request has ever gotten rejected flat out because my boss took one day off in the middle of it already.

Request two vacations on either side and then call in sick that day.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

good jovi posted:

This. You're leaving anyway.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ilkhan posted:

This. You're leaving anyway.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
BUT THE COMPANY :suicide:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

good jovi posted:

Most places will demand a doctor's note so prepare to get one from your vacation place

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I unplugged the printer and closed the ticket. I'm waiting for another ticket to come fix the printer.

My dept is in the middle of a game of ticket ping pong right now.

"Add Bob to this dist list!"
"Remove me from this dist list!"
"Bob isn't getting our emails, can you make sure he's on this list?"
"Why do I keep being readded? I told you I don't want this poo poo clogging up my inbox! Remove me!" ("We can set up a filter..." "No! Kill it!")
"Make SURE that Bob is getting these emails!!"

It took about 8 back and forths before someone in IT realized what was going on (because different techs got the earlier tickets...)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

sfwarlock posted:

My dept is in the middle of a game of ticket ping pong right now.

"Add Bob to this dist list!"
"Remove me from this dist list!"
"Bob isn't getting our emails, can you make sure he's on this list?"
"Why do I keep being readded? I told you I don't want this poo poo clogging up my inbox! Remove me!" ("We can set up a filter..." "No! Kill it!")
"Make SURE that Bob is getting these emails!!"

It took about 8 back and forths before someone in IT realized what was going on (because different techs got the earlier tickets...)

Experimenting with ZenDesk and FreshDesk I'm seeing that have "ticket collision detection" that can warn you if multiple techs are working the same tickets at the same time, seems like it could avoid situations like this. Anyone use that?

the real blah
Oct 31, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Experimenting with ZenDesk and FreshDesk I'm seeing that have "ticket collision detection" that can warn you if multiple techs are working the same tickets at the same time, seems like it could avoid situations like this. Anyone use that?

That probably won't work if it comes in as 8 separate tickets though. From that website, the functionality looks like it's implemented in a sane way. I hate ticketing systems that "lock" tickets as soon as an agent starts looking at it. This looks like it's more just informative and not a hard "Only Joe can edit this ticket. Is Joe going to do anything on the ticket? No, just look at, but it's going to be locked until two minutes after he decides to pretend he never saw it." Sounds nice.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

For that to work you'd have to do collision checking based on affected Configuration Items, and then make sure every mailbox, every D-list and every network drop has a CI for them, and that every ticket has its affected CIs filled out correctly. Good luck.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Kick over every space heater you find.

If it doesn't turn off, unplug it and cut the cord.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Seems like cryptolocker/cryptowall can now infect a machine through a flash exploit in the browser.

You no longer need wait on the edge of your seat for that one email to make it past all defenses to arrive in that one special user's inbox, to have its attachment clicked. Now mine can encrypt the entire loving site basically just by being logged on, since people have a browser open approximately 100% of the time.

I guess now we'll have to go all-in and block all .zip attachments (previously we've blocked just the ones below a certain filesize since that's how we got cryptolockered before), remove local admin rights, perhaps lock down browsing so they can only go to a small list of sites that we specify, and then shoot ourselves in the face before THE TICKETS COME IN

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MrMojok posted:

Seems like cryptolocker/cryptowall can now infect a machine through a flash exploit in the browser.

This has been the case for a good while now.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

also just remove flash.

Bitesize
Sep 25, 2008

spankmeister posted:

also just remove flash.

If you can't remove Flash, you can make a registry setting that forces users to actively choose to run Flash per site.
If the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}\iexplore\AllowedDomains exists, only domains listed in subkeys will run Flash.
If the user chooses "Allow for all websites", the key gets deleted. But on next reboot, you add the key back in, and they have to start the list all over again.

It's not perfect, but it's at least better than auto running by default.
In Chrome you should make sure all plugins are click to run.

Naturally, implementing this simple fix to cover our asses is still in the queue of the only guy who can implement it. I only told him to six months ago. How come I as the helpdesk guy is the only one pushing security? I even made the whole applocker Policy for them.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Bitesize posted:

If you can't remove Flash, you can make a registry setting that forces users to actively choose to run Flash per site.
If the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}\iexplore\AllowedDomains exists, only domains listed in subkeys will run Flash.
If the user chooses "Allow for all websites", the key gets deleted. But on next reboot, you add the key back in, and they have to start the list all over again.

It's not perfect, but it's at least better than auto running by default.
In Chrome you should make sure all plugins are click to run.

Naturally, implementing this simple fix to cover our asses is still in the queue of the only guy who can implement it. I only told him to six months ago. How come I as the helpdesk guy is the only one pushing security? I even made the whole applocker Policy for them.

Windows 10 is supporting applocker outside of enterprise. Licensing enterprise has always been a big obstacle for small businesses but there is no excuse anymore.

Bitesize
Sep 25, 2008

lampey posted:

Windows 10 is supporting applocker outside of enterprise. Licensing enterprise has always been a big obstacle for small businesses but there is no excuse anymore.

In home versions too? I tried setting up applocker on a win10 test machine earlier, and it wasn't available in the SKU then. Has it been changed now?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lampey posted:

:awesome:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Today, a ticket was closed.

Disclaimer: I'm a code monkey, not IT support.

Today I pushed some code to production that had been sitting in a feature branch for - wait for it - 14 months. I created the branch and wrote 99% of the new code in it in may 2014, and every time I brought it up to my supervisor, he'd make some excuse to put it off. He wanted to review it. I needed to test it more. He wanted to test it. He wasn't sure it was safe, or efficient, or even working at all. I gave a goddamn Powerpoint presentation to him and my tech lead manager about why it was important to the website and to me that we did this, what it did and what would have to change in any new code. I made it completely backwards compatible with the old code so only the bare minimum had to be rewritten. I even had a private talk with my tech lead manager about difficulties in working with my supervisor and the feature branch was one of the things he brought up as an example of his stubbornness.

Last week he was promoted away to another building and I was tasked with more responsibility. Two days later I resumed work on the feature branch and today I finally put it live. I didn't even ask for his permission.

:feelsgood:

(for those interested: I phased out the old, deprecated PHP mysql_* functions in favor of the modern PDO database handler.)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Anything that breaks in the next 14 months is because of your code.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Go-live of our new EHR system is today. Yesterday I spent 14 hours at our site across the state helping with their mock clinic. I got to remove one printer, and install 7 more. SEVEN. The site now has 15 printers, for a staff of 20.

Then, during our wrap up, they were complaining that there were too many of them and it was hard to remember what they were all called.

:suicide:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sirotan posted:

The site now has 15 printers, for a staff of 20.
:catstare:

Burn it to the ground.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

There is a guy in the last couple of pages who would be glad to tell you how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Sirotan posted:

The site now has 15 printers, for a staff of 20.

That's 15 printers too many.

• Locked thread