Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

RC Cola posted:

When will this hellish maintenance be over?

All the clusters are up except for Aether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peakay
Jun 29, 2013

Stealthy Simian of Trickery
Hell yes, I knew that waiting for the server to finish maintenance would allow me to create a character in Excalibur. I suppose I have to do that thing on the first post to join any of the goon FCs?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Etrips posted:

All the clusters are up except for Aether.

I'm on Aether :(

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Peakay posted:

Hell yes, I knew that waiting for the server to finish maintenance would allow me to create a character in Excalibur. I suppose I have to do that thing on the first post to join any of the goon FCs?

Correct. Go register on ffgoons.com, then follow the directions here: http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27222

Also if you haven't already, please use someone's Recruit a Friend code. *cough* FFXIV RAF: ZB5FFGBG

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Being on the Aether Data Center was a Mistake

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Poultron posted:

Being on the Aether Data Center was a Mistake

Why?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

because it's not Excalibur. what did you think the reason was?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Woo, I was able to get in and make a character on Excaliber too. I can't join a FC just yet because I'm still on a trial account, but I'll probably buy the game after work today.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

I love this game. :allears:

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
After 19 Aery runs I finally had the tank chest piece drop for me, I am pretty now: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/7575334/

I have the legs/skirt too but the greaves are too sweet to cover up like that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ghostinmyshell posted:

The only allowed provoke macros involve getting Sempai to notice you.

I.. It's not like I want you to notice me, <t>-senpai~

Vermain posted:

I can understand why they don't want to make macros able to be queued , but it'd be extremely helpful for pet command macros

I have keybinds for the pet bar itself because I play almost exclusively SCH, and hitting a non-embrace Selene/Eos skill once always causes it to be used. It can often take up to a couple of seconds before she uses it, but she always does. The same is probably also true for pet skills dragged to a hotbar.

On the other hand, I use an embrace macro (with <mo> <tt> <t> in it so I don't have to swap targets when I'm dpsing and making selene heal the right person), and getting that poo poo off if she's already healing something herself is an exercise in futility. It'll work most of the time, but never when you actually need her to heal the tank *now*.

It's the worst.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I did Steps of Faith this morning, so I'll be starting the Heavansward stuff pretty soon. I'm thinking of doing a paid transfer over to Excalibur, since that's all the rave. Do transfers have the same restrictions as making a new character?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
No. Allegedly they have some restrictions, but I've yet to see anyone confirm not being able to transfer at whatever time.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

No. Allegedly they have some restrictions, but I've yet to see anyone confirm not being able to transfer at whatever time.

sargatanas, while not excalibur, is also typically locked/queued and me and my friends had no problems transferring here

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Truga posted:

I have keybinds for the pet bar itself because I play almost exclusively SCH, and hitting a non-embrace Selene/Eos skill once always causes it to be used. It can often take up to a couple of seconds before she uses it, but she always does. The same is probably also true for pet skills dragged to a hotbar.

It's a massive pain to do them back-to-back though. When you're trying to get both the 2nd and 3rd eos skills off in preperation for huge raidwide damage and she decides to insert an embrace between them it'd maddening.

Skarp
Sep 27, 2013

Is the Goon Guild (or any guilds) on Midgards active? Myself and possibly some friends are playing on that server.

Maus
Apr 15, 2010

VAC ban(s) on record.

Vermain posted:

I believe there's macros that can force your pet to immediately stop its current action in favor of the new one, but I haven't messed around a lot with them. I can understand why they don't want to make macros able to be queued , but it'd be extremely helpful for pet command macros (since it's only actually performing a single offensive action; the rest is just messing around with pet states).

Pet AI was changed a while back and those no longer work.

Truga posted:

hitting a non-embrace Selene/Eos skill once always causes it to be used. It can often take up to a couple of seconds before she uses it, but she always does. The same is probably also true for pet skills dragged to a hotbar.

This is only true if you're trying to get the fairy to use an ability after an autocast embrace. If you're manually directing embraces and you press another fairy ability during the embrace cast, it will not go off afterwards.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've got to say Alph is a terrible diplomat and I'd be surprised if he doesn't screw the pooch at some point.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Skarp posted:

Is the Goon Guild (or any guilds) on Midgards active? Myself and possibly some friends are playing on that server.

Midgardsormr? I'm on there.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Popehoist posted:

It's a massive pain to do them back-to-back though. When you're trying to get both the 2nd and 3rd eos skills off in preperation for huge raidwide damage and she decides to insert an embrace between them it'd maddening.

Yeah, doing this with eos is absolutely terrible. Also one of the reasons I just use selene.

"Hey guys, eos has these really cool buffs you can use to mitigate raid wide damage!" *takes 15 seconds for all the poo poo to go through, everyone's dead*

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

I've got to say Alph is a terrible diplomat and I'd be surprised if he doesn't screw the pooch at some point.

Alphinaud is my favorite of the original 2.0 characters, solely because he's about the only dang one of them who goes through some actual character development. Y'Shtola is my second favorite, because she's got a personality and views that actually bring her into conflict with other major characters. Everyone else is a bland cutout who seems like they were created solely to check off all the major Anime Stereotypes.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

This is exactly what you're supposed to think, and the game deals with this pretty well.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

My fav part in 2.x with Alphinaud is when he calls adventurers incompetent and asks what good they can do and I'm like, I'm sitting across from him draped in Primal Furs and wearing Bahamut's head as a hat.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TooManyUzukis posted:

This is exactly what you're supposed to think, and the game deals with this pretty well.

I like the fact that they don't overdo it at the end of 2.55, either. He gets mopey and self-recriminating for a few scenes, gets a pep talk, and is ready to keep moving forwards. The writing keeps calling back to it in Heavensward, but it doesn't dwell on it for too long, either.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Vermain posted:

I like the fact that they don't overdo it at the end of 2.55, either. He gets mopey and self-recriminating for a few scenes, gets a pep talk, and is ready to keep moving forwards. The writing keeps calling back to it in Heavensward, but it doesn't dwell on it for too long, either.

Good thing he has big bro Estinien to teach him how to be a man.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
A pubbie story about Alex 1!

Tank pulls before we can explain to the newbies what the mechanics are, so I decide "Hey, as the Bard, it's my job to make drat sure those alarms die in the right spot!" So I do the mechanics on both sides, blowing every cooldown I have to do it because literally no one else is hitting alarms. This works until the last ~20% where I can't keep up any more.

This prompted:

:(

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Merrill Grinch posted:

A pubbie story about Alex 1!

Tank pulls before we can explain to the newbies what the mechanics are, so I decide "Hey, as the Bard, it's my job to make drat sure those alarms die in the right spot!" So I do the mechanics on both sides, blowing every cooldown I have to do it because literally no one else is hitting alarms. This works until the last ~20% where I can't keep up any more.

This prompted:

:(

Nice

Now you report them for 3rd party tools.

e: your SA username rings a bell, did you play Rift with me way back when?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
report them for admitting to parsing, and for giving a poo poo about duty finder content

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Merrill Grinch posted:

This prompted:

You should report him for using "illegal third party tools" to give you poo poo about your deeps. Nothing might come of it, but he might get suspended for being a dillhole or something.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I'm just sad that for all I've learned to Bard stancedance I'm still so low I get called out by buffoons.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
And goons say nothing bad comes from DPS parsers

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
That stuff is why I gave up on BLM basically.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

BattleCake posted:

So how active is the goon guild on Cactuar?

Anyone on Cactuar that can give me an answer? :(

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

to be fair doing 450 dps as a bard is pretty loving pathetic

acu
Oct 13, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

You should report him for using "illegal third party tools" to give you poo poo about your deeps. Nothing might come of it, but he might get suspended for being a dillhole or something.

I don't think they care if you use a parser but they do care about people being dickwads due to having a parser. So yes, report them.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

And goons say nothing bad comes from DPS parsers

Ah good it's been a few days since our last DPS parser derail.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

KaneTW posted:

to be fair doing 450 dps as a bard is pretty loving pathetic

Just because I haven't used ACT much: I'm assuming that EncDPS shifts a bit depending on how much damage is actually needed in a fight, right? Like: if you have a fight with a lot of adds that can be AoEd, EncDPS will go up versus a fight with just a single dude you beat up on.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
I'm level 34 and closing in on Titan. I'm guessing that's about 1/2 way through ARR MSQ? Curious though, since Heavensward's release, are sidequests critical for leveling or can I just do MSQs and get to 50 without much fuss? I'm still pretty new to the game overall. Still so much stuff to do.
:psypop:

Sometimes I really wish the game would guide you just a little. For instance, I'm almost 35 and unless I did a search for it, nothing would have pointed me towards Gold Saucer or its existence, OR that I could have accessed it 20 levels ago. I was thinking it was a level 50+ thing.

Skarp
Sep 27, 2013

RC Cola posted:

Midgardsormr? I'm on there.

Cool! I'm Jarl Kalt if you wanna add me to your Friends List.

We're all still kinda new to the game so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Pews posted:

Ah good it's been a few days since our last DPS parser derail.

Calling it a derail implies that this thread has a topic broader than "FFXIV" or a standard of posting. :v:

And yeah, while 450 dps as a bard is what you should've been parsing in 2.x, not 3.0, I think some amount of leeway can be given for being in a group full of morons ignoring mechanics and trying to do literally the only important mechanic alone. Still kinda low though.

• Locked thread