Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

MonsieurChoc posted:

What's his Ice Cream flavor gonna be?

Pecan Sanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Touched a nerve there, sorry

The cornerstone of any GOP "win": the other side reacted in some way.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm no fan of Obama's overall foreign policy but if you think we would've had the positive development we have with Cuba and Iran if Romney had been elected president you should be an institution.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Don't apologize for being wrong. That's just who you are :shrug:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

OAquinas posted:

Pecan Sanders.

Feel the Bern: Listerine + Fireball candy ice cream

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The cornerstone of any GOP "win": the other side mocked us for being super wrong.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I mean, its telling that the Republican don't have a single original idea about how to solve the major problems facing the country and have even worse, unoriginal ideas about international affairs. They're reduced to babbling incoherently about mullahs or something.

The party of no ideas.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Obdicut posted:

She is 36th in her class, which is what matters, not the raw GPA. 22 ACT is above average.
The someone who is 39th out of 559 should do much better than a 22 ACT. A 22 may be "above average", but then so is graduating in the top 50% of your class. A possible explanation for this discrepancy is that her school is below average in SAT/ACT scores:

hobbesmaster posted:

With that class rank its likely unweighted GPA.
I graduated high in before weighted GPAs became popular, but my understanding is citing unweighted is very uncommon these days. Even if unweighted, 3.50 isn't really impressive, though its given as her senior year GPA, not overall GPA, which is quite odd.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 14, 2015

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I'm not sure what you mean.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I mean, its telling that the Republican don't have a single original idea about how to solve the major problems facing the country and have even worse, unoriginal ideas about international affairs. They're reduced to babbling incoherently about mullahs or something.

The party of no ideas.

Their policies are whatever will get them elected.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Their policies are whatever will get them elected.

"Just like Hillary Clinton!"

except unironically for about half this thread

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The party of no ideas.

Actually one of our main ideas is "don't flub Syria so badly that we simultaneously empower Putin (who rolled in like the grownup at the pool) *and* gave ISIS the breathing room to self-organize and roll into Iraq"

Like, we feel the dual outcomes of Putin taking bites out of other countries like he's on a Wonka tour, and Iran's implicit support becoming more important in Iraq should be avoided next time there's a global inflection point.

Sort of a "don't draw red lines when you lack the will to enforce them" idea? Something like that, we have some time to distill it down to something pithy like "stop dumb wars".

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

StandardVC10 posted:

I guess you've got a point. Jeb! it is.

Just call him Bush. It's the most accurate way to describe what we'll get if he's elected.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
The way I see it, the choice in Iran is between continued sanctions, war, or a deal. Continued sanctions don't keep them from getting a bomb. War slows them down for a few years, but makes it all but certain that they will get a bomb, because after all you've just demonstrated why they need it. A deal has of course a chance of falling apart, but the other two options are basically guarantees that we'll have a nuclear Iran at some point.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

StandardVC10 posted:

The way I see it, the choice in Iran is between continued sanctions, war, or a deal. Continued sanctions don't keep them from getting a bomb. War slows them down for a few years, but makes it all but certain that they will get a bomb, because after all you've just demonstrated why they need it. A deal has of course a chance of falling apart, but the other two options are basically guarantees that we'll have a nuclear Iran at some point.

Continued sanctions will just lead to war because it only bolsters hardliners in the first place. So unless the US is willing to glass the entirety of the Persian Gulf (you will need to), occupy Iran for decades, then you had best start planning a Starbucks or McDonald's franchise in Tehran.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

Uh you realize that even the Obama Administration admits this deal only kicks the can down the road? It temporarily increases their breakout point to a year, but that will continue to diminish to practically zero.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Almost every single GOP "new idea" or "reform" for the country is reheated poo poo they've been trying to serve us for the past 30 years, pandering to their insane Tea Party/Evangelical base with no thoughts given to the repercussions of the policies, or dressing up a gift to the rich/powerful at the expense of everyday people as a good thing. These categories frequently overlap.

I'm almost afraid to see any ideas from them that are actually bold or new because they would probably involve legally selling every citizen into slavery to our corporate overlords or some crazy poo poo.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Uh you realize that even the Obama Administration admits this deal only kicks the can down the road? It temporarily increases their breakout point to a year, but that will continue to diminish to practically zero.

The deal gives Iran options beyond nuclear pariah state, which reduces their incentive to develop a weapon. That can only be helpful in the long run.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Let me guess--you're the puppetmaster, we're the puppets, we fell straight into your trap, blah blah blah.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Actually one of our main ideas is "don't flub Syria so badly that we simultaneously empower Putin (who rolled in like the grownup at the pool) *and* gave ISIS the breathing room to self-organize and roll into Iraq"

So you mean second guess after having no plan that was in any way different from what the administration did in Syria?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

This coming from the party who got us into this entire giant mess in the first place.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

joeburz posted:

if someone uses the phrase "kick the can down the road" they are 100% guaranteed to be a piece of poo poo

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

The deal gives Iran options beyond nuclear pariah state, which reduces their incentive to develop a weapon. That can only be helpful in the long run.

By your own litmus test (x only delays a nuclear Iran) the deal is a failure.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

By your own litmus test (x only delays a nuclear Iran) the deal is a failure.

What's the alternative? Is there a better option that the GOP has other than "Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran?"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Isn't Iran theoretically one of the best allies against ISIS?

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That reminds me: did someone clue Donald "I promise not to talk about your massive plastic surgeries" Trump into the fact that the Treasury can just print money? And not just any money, the world's reserve currency? With his acumen for leveraging bankruptcies, I can see him as being the first, honest-to-God, print-and-spend President. He's kind of hinted at that by calling other countries "smart" for devaluing their currencies against the USD.

That or he'd let the government hit the debt ceiling and default.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Given that their breakout point is reportedly two or three months right now, I'll take that. Plus:

StandardVC10 posted:

On this note, kicking the can down the road is exactly what we want to do. A medium-term deal buys everyone involved time to build better long-term solutions. Solutions that necessarily entail Iran being granted some breathing room to develop economically and - one hopes - politically, meaning sanctions are a complete dead end. They may have served some purpose in opening the door for negotiation, but they also push Iran towards nuclear weapons, not away.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

mcmagic posted:

What's the alternative? Is there a better option that the GOP has other than "Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran?"

Of course. Continue sanctions, destroy Iran's economy, and ensure that they become a nuclear pariah state that continues to support terrorism, because what we want is another country that a) has the bomb and b) hates our loving guts. Like North Korea but in the Middle East! :downsbravo:

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

Of course. Continue sanctions, destroy Iran's economy, and ensure that they become a nuclear pariah state that continues to support terrorism, because what we want is another country that a) has the bomb and b) hates our loving guts. Like North Korea but in the Middle East! :downsbravo:

Seriously. Some people seem to be constitutionally incapable of grasping, let along accepting, what compromise means.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

mcmagic posted:

I'm no fan of Obama's overall foreign policy but if you think we would've had the positive development we have with Cuba and Iran if Romney had been elected president you should be an institution.

If McCain had won I assume we'd be in a blasted hellscape by now after he flipped his lid over Ukraine.

Caros
May 14, 2008

mcmagic posted:

So you mean second guess after having no plan that was in any way different from what the administration did in Syria?

Don't forget that the GOP in congress refused to even bring to the vote a resolution authorizing the president to take military action in Syria. He had his redline and said "Okay I think we should do this, but congress ultimately has to do its job and authorize me to go to war. Oh... wait, you're not going to do that? Well I can't really do it then can I?"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Supraluminal posted:

Seriously. Some people seem to be constitutionally incapable of grasping, let along accepting, what compromise means.

I thought compromise means that I get everything I want, and you get nothing that you want :confused:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Dolash posted:

If McCain had won I assume we'd be in a blasted hellscape by now after he flipped his lid over Ukraine.

...and then died, causing Saint Sarah of Palin to be coronated as First God-Empress of The United States Imperium.

Think Idiocracy, only with fewer Costcos.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Caros posted:

Don't forget that the GOP in congress refused to even bring to the vote a resolution authorizing the president to take military action in Syria. He had his redline and said "Okay I think we should do this, but congress ultimately has to do its job and authorize me to go to war. Oh... wait, you're not going to do that? Well I can't really do it then can I?"

Eh, that didn't really stop him in Libya. I'm glad he didn't go over the red line personally, but asking Congress to act was pretty clearly a way of getting out of it and shifting responsibility. I would have done the same thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alter Ego posted:

...and then died, causing Saint Sarah of Palin to be coronated as First God-Empress of The United States Imperium.

Think Idiocracy, only with fewer Costcos.

I don't think I could live in a world where I have to go to Sam's Club to visit Starbucks.

BanjoFish
Nov 24, 2007
Donald Trump has an Instagram video response to the Iran deal, found via Robert Costa:

https://instagram.com/p/4PRAtVmhVq/

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Iron Crowned posted:

I thought compromise means that I get everything I want, and you get nothing that you want :confused:

Depends. Are you a Congressional Republican?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Finally caught up on this thread after like a month. I can't believe I was completely unaware of Trump's speech last week, possibly because I don't have cable.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't think I could live in a world where I have to go to Sam's Club to visit Starbucks.

Don't worry. All liberals would have been rounded up and placed in internment camps at the beginning of Empress Sarah's reign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

BanjoFish posted:

Donald Trump has an Instagram video response to the Iran deal, found via Robert Costa:

https://instagram.com/p/4PRAtVmhVq/

What an odd attack line; Trump's the odd-man-out when it comes to political action and all anyone has from him is his "talk".

• Locked thread