Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

It does seem kind of interesting. You'd think this spirit would be known, since it has a fairly distinctive MO, is obviously very dangerous, and has presumably been inside the relatively small area inside the barrier since it was put up (so, at least since Spender reached puberty).

It isn't impossible for spirits to get in and out, though. Maybe a stowaway got onto the train at one point and they missed it. Like, it hid under a seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Today in the wacky world of Webcomics taken completely out of context;

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Today in the wacky world of Webcomics taken completely out of context;

I have a new signature for GBS posting!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That freeza backpack never more appropriate.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
New page!

So many cool poses.

Also, after getting a particularly spergy red text title from someone, I finally got off my rear end and joined the Paranatural avatar crew (sorry Gunnerkrigg).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Can I pose too?" "Cut that out!"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Roger Explosion posted:

(sorry Gunnerkrigg).

I'm sure Tom would understand. Gunnerkrigg might have a better story, but the art style of Paranatural is just such inspired madness; it's pure avatar fodder.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

"Cut that out" God drat Zach needs to get this book in print or Comixology so I can start throwing money his way.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So Jeff is now becoming a double puppet.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Dag son, looks like that fiend is gonna switch bodies again!

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Brannock posted:

It took 6 years between the first Scott Pilgrim publication and the Scott Pilgrim movie. The first Paranatural page was posted a little over 4 years ago, though Zack doesn't have quite the same output that O'Malley does. If Zack could make Paranatural his full-time job and get corresponding output out of it, and if its popularity rises accordingly, then in a few years ...?

Kinda feels like there's more work put into the average page of paranatural, though. Scott PIlgrim was mostly in black and white.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Man, it's weird to think about how much the indie cartoonist game has changed just between 2004 and now.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

kinmik posted:

Dag son, looks like that fiend is gonna switch bodies again!

Yeah, seems like a pretty bad plan on the Student Council's part.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Ezzer posted:

Kinda feels like there's more work put into the average page of paranatural, though. Scott PIlgrim was mostly in black and white.

On the other hand Scott Pilgrim had roughly four times the page count by the 4 year mark, so they both have their strengths.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PleasingFungus posted:

Yeah, seems like a pretty bad plan on the Student Council's part.

If they could form the working hypothesis that maybe Jeff is going crazy because he's possessed by something that can switch bodies quickly and easily.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

In other words it's a good plan based on incomplete information.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

In other words it's a good plan based on incomplete information.

The best kind of plan that's doomed to failure.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Wanderer posted:

Man, it's weird to think about how much the indie cartoonist game has changed just between 2004 and now.

So... over a decade?

Things tend to change a lot in ten years, there's a reason we list music by the decade it appeared in.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So... over a decade?

Things tend to change a lot in ten years, there's a reason we list music by the decade it appeared in.

I don't immediately recall when people started getting Wacom tablets. Computer coloring and probably lettering were still a thing, but if you were working in Photoshop you were likely scanning the drawings you'd done on paper. Nobody had really figured out how to monetize webcomics yet, IIRC, and I believe people were arguing with each other about the whole "infinite canvas" thing Scott McCloud was talking up. Who was even the webcomic artist to beat in 2004? Maybe Krahulik?

Now you can go wholly paperless if you're willing to drop, what, $90 at Staples, and "Paranatural" is a good example of how far the basic technology's come just based upon some pages' color art. Yeah, ten years can be a long time, but there's been some pretty striking change there.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wanderer posted:

I don't immediately recall when people started getting Wacom tablets. Computer coloring and probably lettering were still a thing, but if you were working in Photoshop you were likely scanning the drawings you'd done on paper. Nobody had really figured out how to monetize webcomics yet, IIRC, and I believe people were arguing with each other about the whole "infinite canvas" thing Scott McCloud was talking up. Who was even the webcomic artist to beat in 2004? Maybe Krahulik?

Who's the sluggy freelance guy?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Who's the sluggy freelance guy?

Pete Abrams, but he was almost always doing straight black-and-white pencil art, and even then I remember he took a lot of off-days.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wanderer posted:

In 2004 Penny Arcade was 6 years old, it was almost certainly the most profitable. PAX launched that year.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 15, 2015

Roaper
Mar 23, 2012

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
So after reading this comic I'm going to be basing my next Geist: The Sin Eater character off of Mister Spender. You know, it's actually not that hard to convert a character from this comic to nWoD there are quite a bit of similarities.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I could see Paranatural fitting well with White Wolf gameplay systems, considering they're mostly built around the idea of players as a chosen few living secret double-lives with powers that set them apart from regular people. Geist works well what with the ghosts and the symbiotic spirit stuff, although if it were meant to match Paranatural's tone it'd need a lot of tuning.

Roaper
Mar 23, 2012

Dolash posted:

I could see Paranatural fitting well with White Wolf gameplay systems, considering they're mostly built around the idea of players as a chosen few living secret double-lives with powers that set them apart from regular people. Geist works well what with the ghosts and the symbiotic spirit stuff, although if it were meant to match Paranatural's tone it'd need a lot of tuning.

True. Paranatural is a lot lighter in tone. I mean none of the kids had to die to get powers. A few parts of the rules do fit pretty well like communicating with a geist and each of their world's are akin to the Twighlight.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Roaper posted:

True. Paranatural is a lot lighter in tone. I mean none of the kids had to die to get powers.

PJ did.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, but he's like three superheroes all rolled into one!

Or half of Danny Phantom

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Remember this page?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Splicer, please don't waste time posting links to updates that happened days ago.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Remember this post?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think I've said it before but my favourite thing in this chapter is that it's showing that, despite Max's attempts to be all cool and aloof and "normal", he's just as much of a ridiculous anime goofball as every other character.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cut that out.

I'm absolutely lost on what nose teacher is restraining Jeff with though.

Roaper
Mar 23, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Cut that out.

I'm absolutely lost on what nose teacher is restraining Jeff with though.

That completely normal kids arms are wrapped around Jeff's arms.

I personally don't see a teacher though.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
My favorite part of the latest page is Webcomics Kid wanting to join the Ginyu Force group pose that everyone else is in.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Friday's update is up.

why is she vice-principal

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Huh, what is it she's realising there before he shouts for Cody?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
And Zack Morrison joins that enlightened group who realizes comment sections are The Worst.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jetamo posted:

why is she vice-principal

Why be the king when you can be the one pulling the strings of the king

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

MikeJF posted:

Huh, what is it she's realising there before he shouts for Cody?

Possibly that the student that she thought was merely unruly is actually possessed. We don't know wheter or not she is aware of the supernatural nature of Mayview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I no longer know what the gently caress is going on.