Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Meanwhile, a hoax video purporting to show a senior Planned Parenthood official discussing organ trade of partial-birth-abortion fetuses has lit the Twittersphere afire. Fortunately, there's no way this obvious hit piece will actually gain relevance, because that would be

oh.

This is like deranged fringe muslims accusing jews of drinking human blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usbombshell
Oct 29, 2004

Boom!
Has this been posted? Trump tweeted an image with the Waffen-SS in it.
It is now deleted.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

sean10mm posted:

The Nashville area has a burger chain started by an Iranian immigrant that makes burgers like he used to make in Iran.

https://youtu.be/XSJohvl8AI0?t=5m41s

Checkmate. :burger::respek::chord:

The Quran-burning pastor from Florida started a burger stand in the mall here. It closed a few months later because it was awful and he said Muslims threatened to blow up the mall if he didn't shut it down. I'm pretty sure he actually went bankrupt.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bicyclops posted:

You do have to wonder how much stomach medication Presidential candidates have to take in order to eat at a bunch of greasy spoons with regional quirks in order to bolster their folksy image, and how much time each of them has to spend chugging cheap beer, soda, and diner food to prepare their bodies for the grueling photo op circuit.

None, because unless you're a newborn baby bland food in grease doesn't do much of anything to your body.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

usbombshell posted:

Has this been posted? Trump tweeted an image with the Waffen-SS in it.
It is now deleted.

Ahahahah kudos to whoever caught that.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh shiiiit.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Well, he went along with the :siren:JADE HELM!!!!:siren: thing so I guess this isn't a surprise, even if it is despicable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My sarcasm detector is broken. Is the video fake or what? When USPol linked to it the poster was dead serious.

Edit: not Fried Chicken that reported it

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Der Kyhe posted:

To give my two cents on this thread; As a dirty communist whore from the Northern Europe, I mostly follow this thread to see how Trump or other the crazy Republican candidates are doing. I have no interest whatsoever on this Bernie/Hillary-slapfight, although from my perspective Bernie is too far left (our social democratic) to get the actual nomination. You guys simply do not want anything like Sweden/Finland/Norway/Denmark, and it is quite understandable since you run an empire, we just exist on this northern wasteland.

OK Sweden still has that "smallest empire ever"-approach but they are stuck in the era when the Swedish system was still a relevant thing.

EDIT: Spellcheck, also; I recently read the Hunter S. Thompson book "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72" and for some reason I am deeply fascinated by your poltical system. I personally hope for the Clinton/Bush or Bernie/anyone or anyone/Trump to get the same rush again. Even if the McGovern campaing happened a decade before I was born.

If you enjoyed fear and loathing on the campaign trail, you should read Thompson's obituary for nixon: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1994/07/he-was-a-crook/308699/

It's probably one of the most blistering things I've ever read. I don't think I will ever hate someone as much as thompson hated Nixon. An excerpt:

'If the right people had been in charge of Nixon's funeral, his casket would have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles. He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president. Nixon was so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw his pants on every morning. Even his funeral was illegal. He was queer in the deepest way. His body should have been burned in a trash bin.'

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It's funny they flip out over Jade Helm, because I remember around 2000 I was part of an Army training unit that ran helicopter exercises flying all over the middle of Texas that included entire foreign squadrons of Apache Longbow attack choppers. :ninja:

It was totally routine and unclassified NATO training poo poo, but I bet half the "BLACK UN CHOPPER" stories came from the swarms of helicopters flying at night over random cattle ranches and poo poo playing laser tag.

e: For instance: http://kdhnews.com/fort_hood_herald...1a4bcf6878.html

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 14, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Nixon's an interesting case study, because had he not been caught or had he been just a little less paranoid, he would have had a pretty strong legacy as a pragmatic republican.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

gradenko_2000 posted:

My sarcasm detector is broken. Is the video fake or what? When USPol linked to it the poster was dead serious.

As others have said, it looks like total bullshit.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

UrbicaMortis posted:

If you enjoyed fear and loathing on the campaign trail, you should read Thompson's obituary for nixon: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1994/07/he-was-a-crook/308699/

It's probably one of the most blistering things I've ever read. I don't think I will ever hate someone as much as thompson hated Nixon. An excerpt:

'If the right people had been in charge of Nixon's funeral, his casket would have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles. He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president. Nixon was so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw his pants on every morning. Even his funeral was illegal. He was queer in the deepest way. His body should have been burned in a trash bin.'

Pretty sure the current crop of candidates would just make his brain spontaneously explode like that dude in Scanners.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Nixon's an interesting case study, because had he not been caught or had he been just a little less paranoid, he would have had a pretty strong legacy as a pragmatic republican.

Except for the whole "sabotaging peace talks"-"carpet bombing Cambodia"-"wanting to nuke Vietnam" things.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Except for the whole "sabotaging peace talks"-"carpet bombing Cambodia"-"wanting to nuke Vietnam" things.

We're pretending he didn't get ran out of office for criminal abuse of power and had served out his term. Those things would remain around, but on the otherhand, he created the EPA, would have possibly done Nixoncare -- which would have been near universal coverage, and normalized relations with China.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Yeah, Nixon was just a goddamn terrible human being, so it's hard to give him any credit for anything even though like half his domestic agenda would be called communist by the current republican field.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Nixon basically just rubberstamped whatever his liberal Congress wanted without being too far left, while privately plotting to seize more power. His foreign policy could have been worse but wasn't really good in any meaningful way

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Nixon actually proposed the health plan independently of congress, and one of the reasons it didn't pass the first time was Ted Kennedy didn't think it was strong enough (and you can argue was poltiically and/or personally motivated to prevent a major success by Nixon in an area that firmly Democrat territory.)

President Richard Nixon's National Health Strategy (1971)
All employers required to provide basic health insurance, including a range of specific coverage requirements
Employees required to share the cost of insurance, up to a cap
Insurance companies can only vary benefit packages to an extent
Special insurance programs at reasonable rates for self-employed and others
Replace most of Medicaid for poor families with a completely federal plan open to any family below a certain income level; cost-sharing rises with income.

Nixon's Comprehensive Health Insurance Plan (1974)
All employers must insure all full-time employees, with employee cost-sharing up to a cap, and federal subsidies to aid employers.
Replace Medicaid with a plan open to anyone not eligible for employee health insurance or Medicare, as well as those who can't afford their coverage

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

hmmm, cant believe i somehow missed the future 2016 republican presidential nominee saying something

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nixon's "left-leaning" ideas were generally done to gently caress with Democrats by taking their popular ideas and claiming them as his own so he could dare them to vote against them while he put on a smug face.

He basically had no principles of any kind and was just grubbing for more power and prestige all the time. Even his supposedly rabid purestrain anti-communism went out the window when it let him put on a big show of being smarter than everyone else (e.g. becoming bros with Chairman loving Mao.)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

We're pretending he didn't get ran out of office for criminal abuse of power and had served out his term. Those things would remain around, but on the otherhand, he created the EPA, would have possibly done Nixoncare -- which would have been near universal coverage, and normalized relations with China.

Well yes; if Nixon wasn't Nixon, he'd have been a much better president and person all around.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 14, 2015

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Carlos Curbelo believes Donald "I beat China all the time" Trump is a Democratic party plant.

quote:

Miami is a hotbed for phantom candidates, complete with four federal criminal convictions in two separate cases to prove it. So perhaps it's no surprise that a local Republican congressman thinks Donald "@BetteMidler is an extremely unattractive woman" Trump's bid for the GOP presidential nomination could be a similar ploy.

Miami Rep. Carlos Curbelo, whose district saw two phony candidates run in a pair of elections before he took office, has taken to Spanish-language media to suggest that Donald "I have a great relationship with the blacks" Trump's campaign could be a Democratic scheme to hurt the Republican Party.

It's not the worst theory in the world. Not that I believe he is.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.

DaveWoo posted:

Here's a quick rundown of all the Republican candidates' reactions so far to the Iran deal:

You might notice that there are two names conspicuously absent from this list.

Waiting for the imminent "Iran deal worse than slavery" from Carson.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Jumpin in this thread to explain it real quick.

Everything in the video is very likely totally real footage, but they're using the EVP effect - where if you say "Listen to this ghost I recorded say 'Where's grampa?'" Then when you play the recording, it's just static, and a weird warble but your brain is primed to think it's saying "Where's grampa?" and you can totally hear it.

If you watch the video closely, they do a lot of priming (about 2 minutes and 30 seconds of detailing how it's illegal to sell body parts), and then they cut to the woman describing the "costs" of the specimens. It's obviously not the cost to come in and buy your very own baby heart, it's the cost to transport and pack a specimen properly to a research lab, which they get compensated for. The biggest hint that they're not selling the specimens is the price range she gives: $30 to $100. If I'm running an illegal black market to sell something that can get me in deep poo poo, you bet your rear end I'm not going to charge 30 bucks.

That's the only spot in the video where price numbers are even discussed. The rest is just having her describe the procedure so people can be shocked, shocked I tell you that an abortion procedure does in fact involve crushing the developing fetal skull.

Fun addendum: The segment from 4:00 to 5:00 is actually a very good lesson in critical thinking. She describes part of an abortion procedure (turning the fetus breech). They then point out that partial-birth abortions which are banned in the US, use that method. They use this to imply that they're performing partial-birth abortions. They're arguing a˜b, therefore a===b, which is obviously invalid.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

There's no way the Democratic Party could ever be that smart, clever, or influential.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Obviously Trump's candidacy is a joke but I do think it's a mistake to dismiss his negotiating skills, and I'm not sure why the media doesn't give him more credit for this. Effecting lasting and beneficial change requires the ability to create openings and brutally exploit them, and he's got a proven record of doing just that. If I was his campaign manager I'd be pushing this into the public eye.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Gregoriev posted:

Waiting for the imminent "Iran deal worse than slavery" from Carson.

The slaves were not, at any point, in danger of being nuked, were they? Checkmate :shepface:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Jumpin in this thread to explain it real quick.

Everything in the video is very likely totally real footage, but they're using the EVP effect - where if you say "Listen to this ghost I recorded say 'Where's grampa?'" Then when you play the recording, it's just static, and a weird warble but your brain is primed to think it's saying "Where's grampa?" and you can totally hear it.

If you watch the video closely, they do a lot of priming (about 2 minutes and 30 seconds of detailing how it's illegal to sell body parts), and then they cut to the woman describing the "costs" of the specimens. It's obviously not the cost to come in and buy your very own baby heart, it's the cost to transport and pack a specimen properly to a research lab, which they get compensated for. The biggest hint that they're not selling the specimens is the price range she gives: $30 to $100. If I'm running an illegal black market to sell something that can get me in deep poo poo, you bet your rear end I'm not going to charge 30 bucks.

That's the only spot in the video where price numbers are even discussed. The rest is just having her describe the procedure so people can be shocked, shocked I tell you that an abortion procedure does in fact involve crushing the developing fetal skull.

Fun addendum: The segment from 4:00 to 5:00 is actually a very good lesson in critical thinking. She describes part of an abortion procedure (turning the fetus breech). They then point out that partial-birth abortions which are banned in the US, use that method. They use this to imply that they're performing partial-birth abortions. They're arguing a˜b, therefore a===b, which is obviously invalid.

Great explanation, thank you. That's a pretty sophisticated move- it's reminiscent of things I used to see from animal rights activists recording videos targeting research labs.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

site posted:

There's no way the Democratic Party could ever be that smart, clever, or influential.

Someone doesn't watch VEEP

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Admittedly, have not watched season 4 yet :/

It's on the list

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Obama is Pharoah and the Israelis are his slaves

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Great explanation, thank you. That's a pretty sophisticated move- it's reminiscent of things I used to see from animal rights activists recording videos targeting research labs.

So what you're saying is they learned it from those dirty leftist hippie animal rights activists? :siren: Liberal false flag operation! :siren:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

icantfindaname posted:

So he's going to have them build the third temple and we can finally kick off this apocalypse, huh?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

sean10mm posted:

It's funny they flip out over Jade Helm, because I remember around 2000 I was part of an Army training unit that ran helicopter exercises flying all over the middle of Texas that included entire foreign squadrons of Apache Longbow attack choppers. :ninja:

It was totally routine and unclassified NATO training poo poo, but I bet half the "BLACK UN CHOPPER" stories came from the swarms of helicopters flying at night over random cattle ranches and poo poo playing laser tag.

e: For instance: http://kdhnews.com/fort_hood_herald...1a4bcf6878.html

Well yeah, but back then we had a President that you could trust not to conquer land already part of the United States and instituted secret FEMA death camps beneath hollowed out Walmarts. Now though, there's just something about Obama that makes him untrustworthy. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it's pretty dark.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

icantfindaname posted:

Somewhere in Jerusalem, an aged hatemonger with very limited artistic skills begins to angrily type up a plagiarism complaint.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Meanwhile, a hoax video purporting to show a senior Planned Parenthood official discussing organ trade of partial-birth-abortion fetuses has lit the Twittersphere afire. Fortunately, there's no way this obvious hit piece will actually gain relevance, because that would be

Cite "hoax"? I haven't watched the video (work) so I'm assuming it's just actors "tricking" a PP official into saying that some fetus organs get donated to save fetus lives and the like?

Edit: ^^^vvv thank you, took me too long to respond

Duke Igthorn fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 14, 2015

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Duke Igthorn posted:

Cite "hoax"? I haven't watched the video (work) so I'm assuming it's just actors "tricking" a PP official into saying that some fetus organs get donated to save fetus lives and the like?

See pathetic little tramp's explanation further up. It's not quite James O'Keefe level of fuckery, but it's pretty loving dishonest.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What would even be the point of buying an underdeveloped fetal organ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

What would even be the point of buying an underdeveloped fetal organ?

MAD SCIENCE

• Locked thread