Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

LifeSizePotato posted:

Thanks, I will try that. A spent a few minutes Googling but nobody else seemed to post about it online and the tablet's a rarely used toy anyway.

Actually the venue 8 pros have sleep issues on Windows 8 as well we bought a batch of them and have nothing but problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Which model NUC? I'm running the Win10 preview on the latest gen i5 and it's been working fine. (Fresh install, fwiw.)

It's the cheapest model I could get from new, with a Celeron brand CPU.
DN2820FYKH

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Flagrama posted:

It's been working fine for me. The last bad build for me was 10130.

Did you go from 8.1 or an earlier build of 10?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The 10166 thing might just be me. I seem to be having a hardware problem.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Do any of you report these things to Microsoft?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

starkebn posted:

I sent mine in when I got the notification asking what I thought of the build.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

TheJoker138 posted:

I sent mine in when I got the notification asking what I thought of the build.

:thumbsup:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Anyone here have any experience with VLKs and dealing with Microsoft re: them? My boss and I (we're a small computer repair/boutique shop) have a Windows 7 VLK that we'd like to upgrade to Windows 10 when the time comes. Is it as simple as calling them up, saying "update our VLK to 10," and that's it, or is there something more involved? I have a nagging feeling that getting an upgrade for our VLK is going to cost money but I can't find anything about this.

E: I'm finding stuff claiming that Windows 7 Enterprise isn't part of the free upgrade which makes sense, but our VLK is Windows 7 Professional.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 15, 2015

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Dogen posted:

The 10166 thing might just be me. I seem to be having a hardware problem.

It froze on me right after I got to the desktop for the first time after the update, but after rebooting it seems fine.

Though the Netflix app is still bugging out a bit. The controls work again, but periodically video playback stops while the audio continues and then the video jerkily speeds up to catch up with the audio, gets back in sync for a few minutes, then repeats the process.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Anyone here have any experience with VLKs and dealing with Microsoft re: them? My boss and I (we're a small computer repair/boutique shop) have a Windows 7 VLK that we'd like to upgrade to Windows 10 when the time comes. Is it as simple as calling them up, saying "update our VLK to 10," and that's it, or is there something more involved? I have a nagging feeling that getting an upgrade for our VLK is going to cost money but I can't find anything about this.

E: I'm finding stuff claiming that Windows 7 Enterprise isn't part of the free upgrade which makes sense, but our VLK is Windows 7 Professional.

windows 8+ vlk requires a server i think.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I got a question, but when Window 10 is officially out in a few weeks, what happens to the beta users? Do they need to revert to a previous OS to use the full Windows 10? Right now my spare PC is running Windows 10, and while I do have my Window 7 serial key for it elsewhere, it would be annoying to reinstall Window 7 to upgrade back to Window 10 again.

[edit] Should had just googled that to find out you get upgraded for free. :toot:

Rirse fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 15, 2015

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Is the Calendar app like, not supposed to sync with anything? I added my gmail calendar to it and then added a bunch of other stuff, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get what I've added to sync to anything else. I have Sunrise on my Nexus 5 and adding my Outlook account just adds my Outlook stuff, which appears to be nothing. Strangely, I have two Microsoft calendars on the Calendar app: Outlook and Microsoft Account. Which is... odd, since they're one in the same.

I booted up Outlook 2013 for shits and giggles and even that doesn't pull int the stuff I've added to Calendar. What gives?

e: I should mention I'm still on build 10130.

BlackFrost fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jul 15, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

windows 8+ vlk requires a server i think.

You can get Windows 8/8.1/Server 2012 MAKs which don't require a server, just an Internet connection to verify with Microsoft. You're thinking of KMS which does.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

I got a question, but when Window 10 is officially out in a few weeks, what happens to the beta users? Do they need to revert to a previous OS to use the full Windows 10? Right now my spare PC is running Windows 10, and while I do have my Window 7 serial key for it elsewhere, it would be annoying to reinstall Window 7 to upgrade back to Window 10 again.

[edit] Should had just googled that to find out you get upgraded for free. :toot:

Well the latest is that you can still stay in the Windows Insider program and get the full Windows 10 Professional and then get regular updates but those are beta version updates like you get now on the Insider Preview. Currently to get out of Windows Insider you will have to install Windows 7,8 or 8.1 then upgrade to Windows 10 but MS might change that policy.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Can't you just change your product key to the 7/8.x one and then opt out of the Insider program, once you have the RTM build installed? I intend to get a Win10 license and try exactly that.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

Did you go from 8.1 or an earlier build of 10?

I had upgraded 7 > 8 > 8.1 > 10 the first time. I tried reinstalling Windows 10 clean during build 10130 to see if it would fix anything. It didn't, but since then I've been upgrading just from Windows 10 builds.

Lowtechs posted:

Well the latest is that you can still stay in the Windows Insider program and get the full Windows 10 Professional and then get regular updates but those are beta version updates like you get now on the Insider Preview. Currently to get out of Windows Insider you will have to install Windows 7,8 or 8.1 then upgrade to Windows 10 but MS might change that policy.

To be clear you do not get a valid key for Windows 10, you stay with evaluation keys so each build will expire, but by that time a new build of 10 should be available for previewing with it's own evaluation key and expiration.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Can't you just change your product key to the 7/8.x one and then opt out of the Insider program, once you have the RTM build installed? I intend to get a Win10 license and try exactly that.

I don't think anyone knows yet.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

starkebn posted:

I tried to, but turning off UAC breaks the feedback app for some reason. And since UAC is turned off by domain policy I can't easily turn it back on and submit feedback.

The Edge browser also refuses to run if UAC is turned off for some reason.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Antillie posted:

I tried to, but turning off UAC breaks the feedback app for some reason. And since UAC is turned off by domain policy I can't easily turn it back on and submit feedback.

The Edge browser also refuses to run if UAC is turned off for some reason.

Don't all metro/universal apps stop working when UAC is off?

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Flagrama posted:

Don't all metro/universal apps stop working when UAC is off?

Ha, now that I check, it looks like they do. Many organizations turn off UAC via domain policy for various reasons and they are not going to change their stance just to be able to run some metro apps. Thankfully the settings app still works and everything else I do is exclusively in desktop apps. There goes any chance MS had of selling metro apps in a business environment.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Does it apply to all apps, including sideloaded ones, or just those installed through the store?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I can't exactly put in to words why this is, but now what Metro apps can be run in a window, I'm actually fine with them. I just loaded up the Windows-10-exclusive Word and Excel betas from the Store and being able to move them around the screen and resize the windows went a long way towards making me not hate using them. I might actually start going to the Store for more apps, especially if apps downloaded from it sync their settings between machines (that's a thing, right?).

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Combat Pretzel posted:

It doesnt look like it

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

The post got updated after the initial confusion and actually makes sense now

It really depends if you did a clean install of the 10 preview or updated a 7/8 install

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Karthe posted:

I can't exactly put in to words why this is, but now what Metro apps can be run in a window, I'm actually fine with them. I just loaded up the Windows-10-exclusive Word and Excel betas from the Store and being able to move them around the screen and resize the windows went a long way towards making me not hate using them. I might actually start going to the Store for more apps, especially if apps downloaded from it sync their settings between machines (that's a thing, right?).

Exactly what I have been thinking all along. The new apps are just great windowed on a desktop system. Why MS took this long to figure that out is baffling.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I have yet to use a Metro app where I don't feel like I'm using some hamstrung version of a "real" application.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Karthe posted:

Because they are basically more uniform WPF apps now. Not as powerful as WPF mind you, but still.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

I have yet to use a Metro app where I don't feel like I'm using some hamstrung version of a "real" application.

Worth every penny.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Wrong!

because i dont need it

In other news, the final build number for RTM is 10240.

Get it? It's 10 megabytes. Or 2^10 x 10. Or a few other 10-related things.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

I want to find the person that designed that UI and smack them upside the head.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
Ars is reporting that build 10240 is out and that it might be the RTM build.

Ars Technica posted:

Microsoft has made no official statement, and may not even make any official statement, but the word from insiders speaking to Mary Jo Foley is that this build has been blessed as the release-to-manufacturing (RTM) build. That is to say, it's this build that will probably be found preinstalled on PCs on store shelves on Windows 10's July 29 launch day.

But the situation seems complicated, with Paul Thurrott tweeting that his sources say that the build hasn't yet been signed off—though with the broader distribution to Insiders, that may yet happen.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Antillie posted:

Ha, now that I check, it looks like they do. Many organizations turn off UAC via domain policy for various reasons and they are not going to change their stance just to be able to run some metro apps. Thankfully the settings app still works and everything else I do is exclusively in desktop apps. There goes any chance MS had of selling metro apps in a business environment.

Turning off UAC effectively makes any version of Windows that shipped with UAC as vulnerable to malicious programs as Windows XP is.

Companies that have this as a policy will change, because the costs of maintaining corporate security / integrity with UAC off far, far outweighs the costs of determining the permissions/settings needed for snowflake enterprise apps and carving out a limited exception for them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

10240 is on the insider rings. I guess this is it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Looks like it, build number is gone from the desktop.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Wrong!

because i dont need it

In other news, the final build number for RTM is 10240.

Get it? It's 10 megabytes. Or 2^10 x 10. Or a few other 10-related things.

What? That's ten kibibytes in bytes. A mebibyte is 2^20 bytes, or 1048576 bytes. :fishmech:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Slightly off-topic, but when did this become a thing? Like, it makes sense and I get it, but when did the emote become a thing?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Slightly off-topic, but when did this become a thing? Like, it makes sense and I get it, but when did the emote become a thing?

Within the last year.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Looks like it, build number is gone from the desktop.

New licence agreement after the update too

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

computer parts posted:

Within the last year.

Has it? It feels like longer. The NSA smiley has been around since 2013, hasn't it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
TH1 Professional 10240 is available. Nice

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I have a licensing question. When you "register" to upgrade your copy of an OEM 7/8/8.1 license, does it mean that the original OEM product key will activate on a clean install of Windows 10? I remember when using the 8.1 OEM DVD on a machine with an 8 license in the BIOS, you had to use a dummy key, and then use RWEverything to extract the key stored; it then activated. Any ideas if 10 will work in the same way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I have a licensing question. When you "register" to upgrade your copy of an OEM 7/8/8.1 license, does it mean that the original OEM product key will activate on a clean install of Windows 10? I remember when using the 8.1 OEM DVD on a machine with an 8 license in the BIOS, you had to use a dummy key, and then use RWEverything to extract the key stored; it then activated. Any ideas if 10 will work in the same way?

We don't know yet

Also if you use the Ms media creator then 8.1 will activate properly on machines that came with 8

• Locked thread