Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
There have been like three people in dungeons ever trying to call people out for doing bad damage or to tell me that I'm 50% of the contributed damage like it matters. Parsing is pretty cool to see if you yourself have improved but I don't like using it as some kind of scarlet letter to random people I will never see again.

:corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I had some pub wondering why I wasn't using it on my DRK :downs:

Fracture is fine on DRK and would be great if they didn't have terrible TP problems. It was super good on PLD in 2.x for DPS.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

bonewitch posted:

Fracture is fine on DRK and would be great if they didn't have terrible TP problems. It was super good on PLD in 2.x for DPS.

lol

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
The reason it was super good on paladins in 2.x is because their buttons were poo poo and terrible and it was actually stronger than savage blade for average potency. Paladin and Dark Knight have plenty to hit these days and don't need fracture.

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

bonewitch posted:

Fracture is fine on DRK and would be great if they didn't have terrible TP problems.

Fracture is possibly the worst thing a dark knight could ever hit

I only leave the possibility open because you could also sub savage blade and skull sunder

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

i actually sat down and did the math and fracture is a slight potency loss per gcd compared the standard dps rotation

its me, im the bad

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

When you see someone has poo poo DPS just watch their rotation for a while and point out what they are doing wrong without mentioning numbers. If they are that bad their rotation is going to be very obviously wrong.

This has the added benefit of being helpful information instead of just "Do better dps"

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 14, 2015

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
People who are going to be dicks are going to be dicks regardless of the existence of in game dps meters.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

bonewitch posted:

i actually sat down and did the math and fracture is a slight potency loss per gcd compared the standard dps rotation

its me, im the bad

When youre down here with us Georgie, you'll be bad too.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

What is fun and interesting for some people in this game feels like homework to others. I can totally understand why lots of people don't bother to learn rotations or look up dungeon guides beforehand. A lot of that stuff probably sounds really boring and tedious to learn and a lot of people aren't going to want to spend time memorizing the "proper" way to play. I looked up rotations and read a summary of dungeons and stuff or watch a short video of them beforehand because I don't want to be the dumb one if everyone else knows what's going on. But some people don't want to study in order to play a videogame, which I think is understandable even if it's not optimal. Having a bunch of dps data and crunching numbers is probably fun to a lot of other people too, but they do not appeal to me at all. I think the sub-optimal players are just part of the package, especially since this game has the reputation as an introductory MMO.

I think personal dps meters or some sort of ranking could be beneficial though. Other games I've played had rankings at the end of dungeons and other group content of damage done, damage taken, amount healed, etc. I think lots of people would be fine with that because it doesn't require any extra work on the part of the player and it lets you know how you're doing for your particular role. Probably a lot of people would ignore it anyway though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

What is fun and interesting for some people in this game feels like homework to others. I can totally understand why lots of people don't bother to learn rotations or look up dungeon guides beforehand. A lot of that stuff probably sounds really boring and tedious to learn and a lot of people aren't going to want to spend time memorizing the "proper" way to play. I looked up rotations and read a summary of dungeons and stuff or watch a short video of them beforehand because I don't want to be the dumb one if everyone else knows what's going on. But some people don't want to study in order to play a videogame, which I think is understandable even if it's not optimal. Having a bunch of dps data and crunching numbers is probably fun to a lot of other people too, but they do not appeal to me at all. I think the sub-optimal players are just part of the package, especially since this game has the reputation as an introductory MMO.

I think personal dps meters or some sort of ranking could be beneficial though. Other games I've played had rankings at the end of dungeons and other group content of damage done, damage taken, amount healed, etc. I think lots of people would be fine with that because it doesn't require any extra work on the part of the player and it lets you know how you're doing for your particular role. Probably a lot of people would ignore it anyway though.

Looking up rotations, ok to good.

Looking up story mode dungeons, gently caress that poo poo. This is a game, I'm not doing homework bitch.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 14, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

This thread is really bad lately. Chairman should close it again.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
The only things that actually require you to look up guides for are Coil and Ex primals though. Everything else is either so intuitive that you can figure it out with the slightest bit of common sense, or simple enough that your party can explain it within a minute or two.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't wanna watch kill videos either. I want wipe videos, to see people gently caress up.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

nuru posted:

Bismarck ex frontloading a near fcob level dps check has torn our fragile Eco system apart

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

bonewitch posted:

The only things that actually require you to look up guides for are Coil and Ex primals though. Everything else is either so intuitive that you can figure it out with the slightest bit of common sense, or simple enough that your party can explain it within a minute or two.

Yeah, I just spend a minute looking stuff up beforehand because I like knowing the mechanics ahead of time and don't want to rely on someone else (possibly wrongly) explaining stuff. Most of the time they make it very obvious what to do though

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
If you can't bother to look up your rotation or figure out if it's good or not because that's homework. Go play a single player game where your garbage play doesn't effect others.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Tarranon posted:

Bismarck ex frontloading a near fcob level dps check has torn our fragile Eco system apart

I went 1/1 on Bis Ex and never went back once and apparently I dodged the biggest bullet in the game right now doing that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Holyshoot posted:

If you can't bother to look up your rotation or figure out if it's good or not because that's homework. Go play a single player game where your garbage play doesn't effect others.

I just unlocked the library, time to go read a guide so I cant disappoint 3 strangers on the internet! Or even talk to them.

In years to come, I'll remember that time I googled all the dungeons before I did them. Oh the memories.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

I just unlocked the library, time to go read a guide so I cant disappoint 3 strangers on the internet! Or even talk to them.

nobody gives a poo poo if you know the dungeon

just know how to play your own job properly

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Tarranon posted:

fcob level dps check might mean something if it wasn't 10 levels higher with 40 more ilvls and 400-600 dps increase on the average dps class

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Tenzarin posted:

In years to come, I'll remember that time I googled all the dungeons before I did them. Oh the memories.

I think there might be a difference between going into a 4 man dungeon blind and going into something like Ravana EX blind.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Chyea posted:

Hello, what does the Steam Gasket do?
it goes gobbieboom on flatlander backside

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I try not to complain about mediocre dps unless they are so wretched they get us to hit the enrage in something like Faust in A1 (Did you know Faust has an enrage? Well, he does).

I'd be happy with personal-only DPS meters being added so people who want to get better have something to use as a benchmark, and bads will just lie about it anyway so who cares what they get. Especially since I play almost exclusively on PS4 so I have no way to check my own numbers unless I'm in a group with a friend who has ACT running.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Line Feed posted:

I think there might be a difference between going into a 4 man dungeon blind and going into something like Ravana EX blind.

Hey I clearly said "story mode dungeons".

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Doublestep posted:

fcob level dps check might mean something if it wasn't 10 levels higher with 40 more ilvls and 400-600 dps increase on the average dps class

It certainly means something when an i170+ blm can't manage 330 dps.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Meiteron posted:

I went 1/1 on Bis Ex and never went back once and apparently I dodged the biggest bullet in the game right now doing that.

So did most actual statics or experienced players. The DPS check is, I'd argue, REAL, but the mechanics are piss easy. So long as you can keep rotations up against a target dummy or three target dummies that sometimes spawn aoes, you and your group are fine. The problem is that by having ridiculously easy mechanics from beginning to end but a fairly serious dps check, it's seriously highlighted DPS performance in a way that I'd argue has never actually existed in the game before. The game's had its checks certainly, but never coupled with mechanics this easy. The whole point of the fight seems to be 'hey DPS, you uh...you good, right homie?"

Add to that the fact that there's a brand new progression tree such that anyone that may have been gated by Titan or Moogle Ex in the past get to try their hand at this relatively difficult content that's been tuned fairly precisely for dps to know their level 60 rotation and have a modicum of situational awareness, oh and also the whole fight spotlights DPS in a way that they've arguable never been spotlit in "casual" content before, and you get this fiasco.

I think it's ultimately good for the game tho. Sure there's a lot of angst and gnashing of teeth now, but I've noticed there's also a vastly, vastly increased interest in improving DPS skills amongst the playerbase, interest in getting advice on rotations, interest in players installing ACT to measure their own progression, and people are getting more comfortable with the idea of politely taking DPS aside and explaining where they're going wrong. Complain all you want about this thread getting derailed about DPS, and sure it's annoying now, but it means people are picking up what's being put down.

People always have this impression that bad players will always be bad and there's no hope giving them tools or advice to improve themselves. That, to me, is the lovely elitist attitude that I'm accused of having for looking at my numbers and being interested in playing my class well and encouraging others to do the same.

Tarranon fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 15, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's plenty ways to improve yourself in this game now.

You can go getting law tomes with roulettes and hunts > into story mode raid.

EX primals, clearly stuff you have to prepare for. People who complain about these fights should die in a fire.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
They should add a dps meter.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Don't use fracture

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

nuru posted:

Unironically quoting this, Chairman please do the needful because this is terrible :(

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Thundarr posted:

I try not to complain about mediocre dps unless they are so wretched they get us to hit the enrage in something like Faust in A1 (Did you know Faust has an enrage? Well, he does).

I'd be happy with personal-only DPS meters being added so people who want to get better have something to use as a benchmark, and bads will just lie about it anyway so who cares what they get. Especially since I play almost exclusively on PS4 so I have no way to check my own numbers unless I'm in a group with a friend who has ACT running.

I actually hit Faust enrage day 1 because we were one of the first groups in there and we didn't know to just burn the boss on the first pull :v:

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
The game desperately needs an injection of player quality right now, so probably adding a DPS meter really is the necessary move

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They should add a dps meter AND a option to kick people for bad dps. Here's the cool part when you get kicked by that you get sent to this dojo for your class and the guildmaster is like "Whaaaaaaaaaaat! Training montage now!".

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Pews posted:

Game needs more HPS checks imo. WHM 60 quest was a good example, now they just need to include it in a raid.

Seems like it would be unfairly biased towards WHMs. Isn't the endless cavalcade of unavoidable AoEs enough?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

nuru posted:

If you don't like what's being talked about you could you know, not loving read the thread

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

If you don't like what's being talked about you could you know, not loving read the thread

Thanks guy, you've made the thread better.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
1000+ dicks per second

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

when is this thread going to get to the hard hitting issues like Space Paissa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
This one time I had this dude in my dungeon and he didn't do thing and he was bads

• Locked thread