Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh Sobek

edit: finished the 52 series, pretty intense, even though the end was pretty complicated to understand. I'll probably have to give it a reread, it has so many twists and turns.

There are DC event promos on comixology and I'm interested in the following collected editions:

Death of Superman

Superman Doomed

Green Lantern Rise of the Third Army

Green Lantern Wrath of the First Lantern

I don't know anything about any of them, what do you think?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm about a 1/5 through Doomed and I'm really liking it. Death is the ultimate cynical cash grab, but I still think it's a great story and excellent art.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Green Lantern Rise of the Third Army

Green Lantern Wrath of the First Lantern

I don't know anything about any of them, what do you think?

Those are the two events that end Geoff Johns' decade on Green Lantern, so I wouldn't start there.

e: If you want something GL from the sale, go Sinestro Corps War. You're still starting 20ish issues in, but it should be a lot cleaner.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 14, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So, despite his possible moral status, Max Landis can't stop being a good writer and who's work I wanna see.

I think, tragically, this might be the only DC thing I'm interested in aside from the next Multiversity. I mean, DC has done a LOT to turn themselves around from being outright awful post Convergence, but there's still so little I actually want to read. Well, at least they're trying.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Teenage Fansub posted:

Those are the two events that end Geoff Johns' decade on Green Lantern, so I wouldn't start there.

e: If you want something GL from the sale, go Sinestro Corps War. You're still starting 20ish issues in, but it should be a lot cleaner.

Actually I've read Sinestro Corps War already, I liked it a lot so I was wondering if the other GL stuff was good too.

Also what's Convergence?

Oh and I wanted to ask about Final Crisis too but it seems the sales ended today :(

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 14, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Also what's Convergence?

Cities and characters from DC publishing eras were taken by Braniac and plonked on a planet to duke it out.
The main series was terrible, but there were a bunch of two issue miniseries along with it, some of which did quite well at the nostalgia thing, doing new stories with old characters (Shazam, Question especially.) Most were clunky.

The major thing out of it was the in-universe acknowledgement of all this history (not just what had been re-written for the New 52) and the end result of all of that stuff potentially existing out there in an infinite multiverse for authors to pick from.

E: Like a couple of upcoming series we just got news on, including a pre-rebooted Lois and Clark comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 14, 2015

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Dunbar posted:

I'm trying to come up with a title I want to read less than a Telos solo book and I can't do it.

Magog solo book

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

I have read the very start of Johns' run only, and can confirm that while you are 100% in the deep end in some regards, but those two GL trades are great.

edit: in my opinion, Johns' writing is so clear that you can pretty much pick up what's going on pretty quickly.

And on that note, are any of the ongoing Lantern books any good?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kurtofan posted:

Oh and I wanted to ask about Final Crisis too but it seems the sales ended today :(

Final Crisis is good but it's pretty steeped in both the DC multiverse and Fourth World stuff.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

LordPants posted:

I have read the very start of Johns' run only, and can confirm that while you are 100% in the deep end in some regards, but those two GL trades are great.

edit: in my opinion, Johns' writing is so clear that you can pretty much pick up what's going on pretty quickly.

And on that note, are any of the ongoing Lantern books any good?

Soule's Red Lanterns was good and Omega Men is pretty good so far as well though that comic is only a Lantern book in so much as Kyle plays a supporting role in it.

Lost Army was okay for a first issue. Everything else is/was complete rubbish.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Solicits are out

Batman Eternal's solicits are all the same thing, guessing to prevent spoilers. Poor Prez got cut-down from 12 issues to 6. Manapul taking over Justice League art duties should be interesting.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Prez :ohdear:

The only consolation for Prez is that Russell broke up the 12 issues into two separate 6 issue arcs, so at least it won't end super abruptly.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

lotus circle posted:

Solicits are out

Batman Eternal's solicits are all the same thing, guessing to prevent spoilers. Poor Prez got cut-down from 12 issues to 6.

How did that happen? I assumed there was a 12 issue pitch.

edit: Yea a two 6 part story arc makes sense. That's a shame though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What the gently caress happened to all of the new books getting 12? I wasn't expecting Prez to last longer than that, to be fair, because god knows the direct market isn't built for a book about political satire that doesn't 'count' in the shared universe, but still.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the second half of Prez is relaunched in a second mini so they can goose some extra sales from it, but maybe that's just my wide-eyed optimism speaking.

It looks like Ricken is the new regular artist for Teen Titans? Love her work.

Edit: Prez not canceled apparently.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 14, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Titans Hunt could be loving awful but I'm really glad to see some version of Tim back in his real Robin costume. :allears:

Edit: Wait, that's Dick...drat it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Happier, but still mad that now I have to subscribe to the book again on Comixology. The true evil of this constant #1s trend.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, Pete Tomasi and Marcio Takara are taking over Detective Comics from Manapul and Buccellato.

e: Lemire/Sorrentino Green Arrow is getting an all-in-one deluxe edition. Get it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 15, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Aw, it's been so long since we've seen a Teen Titan's grave/casket/tombstone/bloodied corpse on a comics cover. Feels like old times.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Semper Fudge posted:

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the second half of Prez is relaunched in a second mini so they can goose some extra sales from it, but maybe that's just my wide-eyed optimism speaking.

It looks like Ricken is the new regular artist for Teen Titans? Love her work.

Edit: Prez not canceled apparently.

I still kind of hate that Raven Outfit.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

So, Pete Tomasi and Marcio Takara are taking over Detective Comics from Manapul and Buccellato.

e: Lemire/Sorrentino Green Arrow is getting an all-in-one deluxe edition. Get it.

Do we know what issue Tomasi is going to take over writing duties? I'd like to see where current arc plays out since they already had revealed the traitor in their midst.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MonsterEnvy posted:

I refuse to even try Titans until Tim and Raven both get a better costume.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

MonsterEnvy posted:

You should, it's still really awful

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't hate the Red Robin suit, even if it's obviously just a pallete swapped Falcon outfit. And the Raven one isn't awful, just misapplied. She looks like a villain whose gimmick is some kind of feral, carrion bird-lady. Not a spooky psychic witch.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

WickedHate posted:

I refuse to even try Titans until Tim and Raven both get a better costume.

Same.

Bunker's outfit is poo poo too.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jiro posted:

Do we know what issue Tomasi is going to take over writing duties? I'd like to see where current arc plays out since they already had revealed the traitor in their midst.

The one in these solicits.

DETECTIVE COMICS #45
Written by PETER J. TOMASI
Art by MARCIO TAKARA
Cover by ANDREW ROBINSON
Monsters variant cover by BILL SIENKIEWICZ
On sale OCTOBER 7 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
A brand-new epic begins as the superstar team of writer Peter J. Tomasi and artist Marcio Takara takes the new Batman on his first mission with the Justice League! When Jim Gordon is approached by the Justice League to solve a series of mysterious mass murders, he must turn his focus away from Gotham City and test his mettle with the World’s Greatest Heroes!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Probably Magic posted:

Same.

Bunker's outfit is poo poo too.

Bunker is a poo poo character.

Gaz-L posted:

And the Raven one isn't awful, just misapplied. She looks like a villain whose gimmick is some kind of feral, carrion bird-lady. Not a spooky psychic witch.

"But her name is Raven, like the bird, so we made her a bird-lady. It makes perfect sense!"-whoever came up with that design

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Bunker is a poo poo character.

Hate speech.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

I like Raven's costume when it's drawn correctly. The mask is supposed to be overlapping feathers, but some artists draw it as a weird chitinous shell.

I don't know, I don't like it enough to do anything other than half-heartedly defend it, but I think it's at least way more interesting than previous costumes she's had.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think I mentioned it before, but I almost like it, with just a bit of work I think I could. I don't even know what it is that gets me, just something about it is off in the worst way.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Semper Fudge posted:

I like Raven's costume when it's drawn correctly. The mask is supposed to be overlapping feathers, but some artists draw it as a weird chitinous shell.

I don't know, I don't like it enough to do anything other than half-heartedly defend it, but I think it's at least way more interesting than previous costumes she's had.

I actually think her original outfit is the best of the New Titans that Perez designed himself. And more importantly, it's also the outfit from the cartoon. If a teen that grew up with that version saw the new Starfire book, they'd recognise her. If they saw Raven on a cover now, they'd have no clue.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Hate speech.

He's Vibe 2.0, which I think says enough on that front.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Semper Fudge posted:

Sometimes a simple cloak is all one needs.

It's the same reason I hated the new look of Richard Dragon. I liked his look as a somewhat normal looking guy that also happens to be the best martial artist in the world. Plus the fact that Nu Richard is just a villainous crime lord and a random Green Arrow villain.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 15, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Despite Lobdell being too optimistic about the acceptance of a gay kid in Mexico's rural zone and totally botching his name (we have two last names and the normal conventions would maked Jose Miguel Barragan). Bunker was a pretty awesome character: fun, positive and friendly. Plus his freindship with Gar was amazing.

Shame that Pfeifer throw that into the trash and made him another angsty, violent guy more.

Anyways, Red Hood/Arsenal keeps bringin a smile into my face:

RED HOOD/ARSENAL #5
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by DENIS MEDRI
Cover by HOWARD PORTER
On sale OCTOBER 14 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
The brawl with Batman continues as Roy and Jason go head-to-head with both the new hero of Gotham City and the villainous Underbelly in the streets! Plus, a shocking revelation leads Jason to a secret rendezvous with an old friend…

:allears:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Despite Lobdell being too optimistic about the acceptance of a gay kid in Mexico's rural zone and totally botching his name (we have two last names and the normal conventions would maked Jose Miguel Barragan). Bunker was a pretty awesome character: fun, positive and friendly. Plus his freindship with Gar was amazing.

Shame that Pfeifer throw that into the trash and made him another angsty, violent guy more.

Anyways, Red Hood/Arsenal keeps bringin a smile into my face:

RED HOOD/ARSENAL #5
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by DENIS MEDRI
Cover by HOWARD PORTER
On sale OCTOBER 14 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
The brawl with Batman continues as Roy and Jason go head-to-head with both the new hero of Gotham City and the villainous Underbelly in the streets! Plus, a shocking revelation leads Jason to a secret rendezvous with an old friend…

:allears:

I hate whenever they give Red Hood a Mouth. It looks really stupid.

Also go BatGordon. Beat these two murdering assholes into the ground and arrest them.

Beat Jason for being a brat who should have stayed in the grave. Beat Roy for being nothing like he used to be, having a horrible hat and no longer being a hero. Better yet do the opposite of what the Young Justice series did and reveal this Roy is a clone while the much better Roy has been kidnapped.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BatGordon is fighting pretty much every DC superhero right now, isn't he.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Travis343 posted:

Those two aren't heroes. So not quite I would say.

Jason should also be beaten up for making his old Sidekick Scarlet disappear. (She appears to be one of the casualties of the reboot despite Batman continuity more or less continuing were it left off.) As a Professor Pyg Dollotron who survived with their mind intact was much more interesting then both Roy and Jason.

Also from what I looked up. I don't think Roy or Jason ever really interacted prior to the reboot. So I wonder why they were teamed up in the first place.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 15, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

I hate whenever they give Red Hood a Mouth. It looks really stupid.

Also go BatGordon. Beat these two murdering assholes into the ground and arrest them.

Beat Jason for being a brat who should have stayed in the grave. Beat Roy for being nothing like he used to be, having a horrible hat and no longer being a hero. Better yet do the opposite of what the Young Justice series did and reveal this Roy is a clone while the much better Roy has been kidnapped.

True, the mouth does look stupid. Luckily neither Medri nor Pantalena draw the helmet with one

Medri

Pantalena

Pantalena does draw a creepy Roy though

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Travis343 posted:

He's Batman now so first order of business is taking everyone down just to prove he can. It's like when you go to prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

True, the mouth does look stupid. Luckily neither Medri nor Pantalena draw the helmet with one

Medri

Pantalena

Pantalena does draw a creepy Roy though

That art is poo poo. Like that first page, they're coming down at an angle toward the Eiffel Tower. Where are they coming from? Also, how are they going to land without dying? They don't have super powers.

Roy wearing a baseball cap needs to go, too.

• Locked thread