Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I hate how the transfer has made the film seem muddy and indistinct but that film is just one fabulous shot after another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That moment Godzilla steps into frame and everyone goes quiet owns so hard.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That moment Godzilla steps into frame and everyone goes quiet owns so hard.

Everything about it - the scale, the comic book-like tracking of the action from left to right, terror and awe - is perfect.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I hate how the transfer has made the film seem muddy and indistinct but that film is just one fabulous shot after another.

If you're talking about JP1, the 3D transfer is apparently a big jump up in quality. They didn't use that for the 2D version though, instead they recycled an earlier transfer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SwissCM posted:

If you're talking about JP1, the 3D transfer is apparently a big jump up in quality. They didn't use that for the 2D version though, instead they recycled an earlier transfer.

Nah, I'm talking about Godzilla. The 3D transfer was quite good for JP1, though, unless you mean the home release?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Nah, I'm talking about Godzilla. The 3D transfer was quite good for JP1, though, unless you mean the home release?

The 3D transfer was good, it was the 2D one that they bundled in the 3D release that they recycled.

If you have a way of watching the 3D version in 2D try to do that. It's a noticeable improvement.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Bruceski posted:

It's an easy mistake to make, sharks and cows look quite similar.

I honestly didn't remember what exactly was fed to the Mososaurus and went with the most likely thing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SwissCM posted:

The 3D transfer was good, it was the 2D one that they bundled in the 3D release that they recycled.

If you have a way of watching the 3D version in 2D try to do that. It's a noticeable improvement.
How would one watch the 3D version in 2D?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

How would one watch the 3D version in 2D?

Depends on the feature set of your TV or BluRay player. My TV allows you to turn off 3D mode when playing 3D BluRays.

Also I gave it a watch again. It is better, a lot sharper but a bit waxy thanks to DNR.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Everything about it - the scale, the comic book-like tracking of the action from left to right, terror and awe - is perfect.

Godzilla 2014 is basically flawless start-to-finish. In this film, you look at a shot like this:

It's ugly.

People don't appreciate this, but Jurassic Park is shot like a late-80s issue of national geographic. The pop-science documentary style does a lot to sell it.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

If you weren't in awe of the park as the camera swooped over and the classic theme played then I honestly, without hyperbole, believe you are dead inside.

It was tiny and sad, man. Nothing but lines.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Vintersorg posted:

If you weren't in awe of the park as the camera swooped over and the classic theme played then I honestly, without hyperbole, believe you are dead inside.

I must be dead inside because honestly I don't know how anyone could be overwhelmed by it. It doesn't feel grand or impressive in the slightest. The park looks incredibly small and pathetic, it looked like a fishing village with a big tepee instead of a grand dino park. It's so pathetic it feels intentional. The kid is so excited to see this park, opens the windows and BOOM...it's a joke, complete with the theme over top of it for added irony. The giant mountains completely dwarf the park. "Nature is bigger than anything you think is grand, your big pyramid is pathetic". It doesn't help that all the cool stuff isn't even on this main drag area. We spend most of the movie away from here, and it feels like an afterthought. The giant bird dome had a better sense of scale and awe, but it's tucked away in the mountains out of sight. It should be visible in the pano shot, looking like a giant egg ready to crack (so that when it does, it feels like payoff). That was one thing I hated about the birdcage. It gets absolutely no screentime before the action sequence. It just sort of materializes so the movie can have the action sequence with the helicopter and set loose the birds. The T-rex exhibit got shortchanged, too. All we see is a log tunnel with a viewing window, a goat, and an obscured Rex before Robotron Love Interest opens a backdoor 2 hours later. Honestly when the door opened I was thinking "What is going on, what door is being opened" because the movie almost completely ignores the T-Rex up to that point. I forgot it existed. The Mosasaurus exhibit was the only one that felt exactly right to me. They did a good job teasing you with it and keeping it involved so that when the kill snipe happens it works.

I enjoyed the movie overall I guess, when Dino action happened onscreen it was incredibly fun, but I feel like it falls apart the instant you start giving it any thought. I hated the entire subplot of Vincent D'lastname and EVIL CORPORATION WANTING TO USE RAPTORS FOR EVIL. It felt really tacked on. I wish it was just a park disaster caused by mad science, that Owen Thunderguns was just the raptor keeper guy and the raptors were an actual exhibit instead of a military program FOR EVIL.

I'm also with SMG: we needed a monorail attack sequence. In fact, it should have replaced the ball sequence entirely. Kids are at cool herbivore exhibit at the end of the park, park gets closed down, they are stuck on the last train back to the station, maybe operated by the same apathetic teenager who worked the balls. Kids start seeing dinos running scared underneath the monorail, I-rex attack crashes the monorail, buncha tourists bite it via I-rex and stampede, kids escape in the turmoil and then have the cliff jump sequence.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I liked the ball scene! That's something I wanna roll in and get attacked by dinosaurs.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I'm not too down on Lord Of The Rings, but compare this:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

paradoxGentleman posted:

I honestly didn't remember what exactly was fed to the Mososaurus and went with the most likely thing.

You were probably remembering the side of beef they fed to the I-Rex, just paired it up with the wrong beastie.

Also, something that hasn't been brought up yet about the prolonged death scene of the assistant is the bloodlessness of it all. That's a problem I have with a lot of PG-13 films where they just don't show the blood or damage that results from otherwise violent actions. Scenes like this end up getting stuck somewhere between a cartoon and a grindhouse; it is supposed to be breaking the tension with something so over-the-top that it's funny, or piling it on by belaboring the horror of it all? The lack of blood pushes towards the former, but the motivations behind the lack of blood, keeping that family-friendly rating, make you wonder if it was supposed to be the latter and just got edited in post.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 15, 2015

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I honestly had a hard time figuring out the relationship between Masrani/InGen/Pratt/D'Onofrio/Wu. Like, Wu can just refuse to tell Masrani what they're doing? Is Masrani just a shareholder? Is there an InGen CEO somewhere? Is D'Onforio head of security? Is Bryce Dallas Howard InGen or Masrani?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

porfiria posted:

I honestly had a hard time figuring out the relationship between Masrani/InGen/Pratt/D'Onofrio/Wu. Like, Wu can just refuse to tell Masrani what they're doing? Is Masrani just a shareholder? Is there an InGen CEO somewhere? Is D'Onforio head of security? Is Bryce Dallas Howard InGen or Masrani?

These are some challenging questions, can someone write a line for Chris Pratt to clue the audience in on exactly what they should know in that moment?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

exquisite tea posted:

These are some challenging questions, can someone write a line for Chris Pratt to clue the audience in on exactly what they should know in that moment?

What moment?

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Jurassic World shits all over Godzilla 2014 from high heaven. I can't believe their are people in this thread defending that cock tease of a movie.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

porfiria posted:

Masrani runs Masrani Global which acquired Ingen sometime after the first film (The viral site says 1998 which would be a year after The Lost World). D'Onofrio heads up Ingen's recently created global securities division (something like a cross between Blackwater and Lockheed Martin...according to the backstory it was created initially to deal with dinosaurs that got off the islands). Wu is the head of Ingen's genetics division and has some sort of autonomy within the company. The line where he tells Masrani he is "not at liberty to say" whats in the Rex is weird though so maybe there is someone else out there that has more authority (the board of directors?)

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Jurassic World shits all over Godzilla 2014 from high heaven. I can't believe their are people in this thread defending that cock tease of a movie.

My favorite part of Godzilla is how it was like two and a half hours long and Godzilla was in it for like 18 minutes.

My favorite individual scene was when Godzilla is juuuuust about to fight the other monster, something that seems like it would be loving bad rear end, but the camera goes inside with a bunch of people and the doors shut on the action just as it's actually getting good.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Too much Godzilla would mean "This is just a bunch of CGI poo poo, why do I care?"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Judging by the defenses of Jurassic World, I'm not that worried.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Martman posted:

Too much Godzilla would mean "This is just a bunch of CGI poo poo, why do I care?"

Pro Tip: There is a reason Jurassic World is shattering records at the box office and most people are praising the big fight scene at the end

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Pro Tip: There is a reason Jurassic World is shattering records at the box office and most people are praising the big fight scene at the end

Worthington's Law.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Cole posted:

My favorite part of Godzilla is how it was like two and a half hours long and Godzilla was in it for like 18 minutes.

My favorite individual scene was when Godzilla is juuuuust about to fight the other monster, something that seems like it would be loving bad rear end, but the camera goes inside with a bunch of people and the doors shut on the action just as it's actually getting good.

It wouldn't have been bad rear end.

I don't understand this complaint about G2014--the movie was so much rooted in the people observing Godzilla and the other monsters, it built a sense of awe and wonder. There's not really all that much you can do in terms of varying up Godzilla style combat. He's just going to kind of lumber at things and try to beat them to death. It was smart to hold that back until the end.

I realize JW is about how lovely and dumb blockbusters are, but I don't think they're that dumb, really. It's sort of the same problem Cabin in the Woods had.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Pro Tip: There is a reason the Fast and the Furious series is shattering records at the box office and people are praising the cars driving fast.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I've just realized that Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland is better than most movies ever made.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Martman posted:

Pro Tip: There is a reason the Fast and the Furious series is shattering records at the box office and people are praising the cars driving fast.

What does Fast & Furious have to do with you saying showing more Godzilla would have caused people to react negatively when actually showing the dinosaurs in Jurassic World had people going crazy in a positive way

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Alucard Nacirema posted:

The whole point of the pro tip joke was that the statement was facile.

What is the need to communicate in meme? Insecurity?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Alucard Nacirema posted:

What does Fast & Furious have to do with you saying showing more Godzilla would have caused people to react negatively when actually showing the dinosaurs in Jurassic World had people going crazy in a positive way
I was suggesting that Godzilla could have been criticized by the same nerds regardless of how many shots of Godzilla they added, not that it would have done worse at the box office.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SwissCM posted:

Depends on the feature set of your TV or BluRay player. My TV allows you to turn off 3D mode when playing 3D BluRays.

Also I gave it a watch again. It is better, a lot sharper but a bit waxy thanks to DNR.
Huh, you learn something new every day, thanks! In your experience is it usually a setting in the TV, or the bluray player?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Yeah they didn't show the monsters - the same problem as in Alien, Aliens, Jurassic Park, Predator, Jaws, The Thing, the original Godzilla, and also crappier films like Jurassic World (if we don't count the spayed raptors).

The problem we're faced with here is that people are looking at, say, that badly-composed shot of the petting zoo and saying HOLY poo poo A PETTING ZOO THIS IS THE GREATEST PETTING ZOO I'VE EVER SEEN. It's pretty clear that you're overlooking what happens onscreen, imagining the creative things you'd do if you weren't stuck watching this movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Martman posted:

Because they're loving awesome. :colbert:

This feels like the exact sort of movie that, had it spent another year in development, it would have been amazing. As it is, it's competent and forgettable. It's mostly mashups of things that were done better in other movies. Take the second encounter with the I-Rex, with the heartbeat monitors that it swiped from Aliens. Whoever was behind that (the director, possibly) loves that scene from Aliens, but didn't quite get it. The scene in Aliens is constructed so that you see almost nothing of the fight. You just see panicked soldiers glimpsed through violently shaking helmet cams and muzzle flash blocking out the screen. The heartbeat monitors are the only things you see clearly. It works because you can't see the battle, but you can see the disastrous results, and Gorman's catatonic reaction. In JW, the fight is very clear, we see everything in detail (except that backlit shot of the man getting savaged behind a tree branch, which is gorgeous) and then cut to frantic views of the heartbeat monitors. Its reversed. And you see it and go "Ah, that's like that bit in Aliens, which I liked" rather than "Holy gently caress they got slaughtered."

It's real problem is that it's an okay movie with far too much telling not showing, following on from a movie that managed to tell its entire story and all its themes with a seatbelt.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The problem we're faced with here is that people are looking at, say, that badly-composed shot of the petting zoo and saying HOLY poo poo A PETTING ZOO THIS IS THE GREATEST PETTING ZOO I'VE EVER SEEN. It's pretty clear that you're overlooking what happens onscreen, imagining the creative things you'd do if you weren't stuck watching this movie.

This happens a lot in Marvel movies too, where people talk about how great various fights were and how they always wanted tohr and halk to fight, but then you sit down and watch the scene and it's two actors dancing against a greenscreen and the camera is in a rubbish place.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hbomberguy posted:

This happens a lot in Marvel movies too, where people talk about how great various fights were and how they always wanted tohr and halk to fight, but then you sit down and watch the scene and it's two actors dancing against a greenscreen and the camera is in a rubbish place.

The one shot in the new BvS trailer where Batman springs from one goon to the next is better than anything the MCU has produced. They've yet to beat the shot where Wolverine and Lady Deathstrike charge at each other in X2

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

And? So what? A huge part of the draw of many movies, and especially Jurassic Park, is the audience's imagination of what they would do or what they want to see. A huge part of the "magic" in JP is the mere thought that a dinosaur theme park could be real, even though we don't see a working theme park in the movie.

If you're judging movies based on what they don't show, then all the best horror movies are actually poo poo since they don't show anything and let the audience's creativity fill in the blanks.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

And? So what? A huge part of the draw of many movies, and especially Jurassic Park, is the audience's imagination of what they would do or what they want to see. A huge part of the "magic" in JP is the mere thought that a dinosaur theme park could be real, even though we don't see a working theme park in the movie.

If you're judging movies based on what they don't show, then all the best horror movies are actually poo poo since they don't show anything and let the audience's creativity fill in the blanks.

Taking that to its logical conclusion, the movie doesn't need to exist.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Porn is the best movie, I love imagining that I could have sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Xenomrph posted:

I think you missed his point.

He's saying that there are so many people in this thread who saw the movie and were completely entranced by a couple of the ideas presented onscreen that they fail to realize that the ideas were presented poorly, because they are too busy imaging what they'd be doing in that situation. "Oh sweet, that kid is riding a baby dino! I'd LOVE to ride a baby Dino! Petting Zoo! That's really awesome!" while ignoring that it was this ugly brown dusty bland and questionably framed shot.

The movie feels blandly shot. There were some really nice individual shots but they come too few and far between and on the whole. I thought most of the arial shots looks terrible, like looking at miniatures (The flying helicopter looked like a toy half the time), but that might have been an unintended effect of the 3d. But i've seen plenty of 3d movies and never had that feeling before on other arial shots, so I dunno.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 15, 2015

• Locked thread