Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Whenever I get caught up on all my random non-monthly bills I get more poo poo in the mail that I forgot about. I dunno how my parents did it all these years.

Not doing drugs constantly probably helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Gunbus posted:

Its coming up on new car time and I have narrowed it down to two cars, so C63 or Miata PRHT club?

2016 MX-5

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

If they come out with at least a removable hard top then I would really consider it.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

MustardFacial posted:

Not doing drugs constantly probably helped.

Oh yeah...

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Whenever I get caught up on all my random non-monthly bills I get more poo poo in the mail that I forgot about. I dunno how my parents did it all these years.

I think MustardFacial is onto something with the drugs comment, but perhaps you should install Mint or some other budget tracker if you're really that clueless about where your money is going and why you're constantly broke. I've even got my Mint account set up to have a monthly budget for partying, so I can know exactly how hard on the paint I can go and still keep my balling strictly in control.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
As a recently married 30 year old who's probably going to have kids soon what sort of car should I get to tote around kids and dogs? (It's going to be a Subaru isn't it?)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Milosh posted:

As a recently married 30 year old who's probably going to have kids soon what sort of car should I get to tote around kids and dogs? (It's going to be a Subaru isn't it?)

An e60 m5 wagon

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Milosh posted:

depends on what you want, but personally I don't think I will ever own another subaru unless its a brz.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

goatse guy posted:

I think MustardFacial is onto something with the drugs comment, but perhaps you should install Mint or some other budget tracker if you're really that clueless about where your money is going and why you're constantly broke. I've even got my Mint account set up to have a monthly budget for partying, so I can know exactly how hard on the paint I can go and still keep my balling strictly in control.

Downloading it as we speak. I have a separate Ally Bank account that takes money every week from my normal bank acount that has been building up nicely. And when I get paid every week I chuck all the money for my monthly bills/4 and a little extra into my Savings account so I don't end up short. I just have a bad habit of forgetting about the random bills like doctor visits and stuff like that. Now obviously I want some new car parts (starting with basic stuff like car seat covers, etc) and I end up getting a misc $50 bill in the mail when I just dropped the $50 from my weekly spending budget on car parts or concert tickets, or weed. Usually weed.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Milosh posted:

Outback Limited. I'd buy one of those if I ever found a dude dumb enough to knock me up.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Milosh posted:

Volvo XC90

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Milosh posted:

Honestly, I like my CR-V. It's slow but it's stupid cheap to run and dead reliable.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Should've added in the 20-30k range.

I love wagons and the BMW would be amazing but probably outside of the budget.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you're stuck with something SUV-like, the CX-5 seems to be the clear cut way to go.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Miata Is Always The Answer.

Anywhoo, my Dad is doing stuff in San Diego for a shipbuilder for the Navy. At any rate, he emailed me a picture of one of the engines going into this ship. It's a MAN, 6 cylinder 2 stroke diesel with an 11MW output at 105 rpm :perfect:

It's four stories tall :stare:

e: whoa that's huge. Take a look at the man sized hole in the crane to the right for some perspective...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Here you go:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599364

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Milosh posted:

Wife and I have a Toyota Venza. Been happy with it - comfortable, decent on gas, tons of space. Still somewhat funnish to drive to (its not sporty at all, but even with the 4 cylinder it still gets out from under itself).

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

BloodBag posted:

Miata Is Always The Answer.

Anywhoo, my Dad is doing stuff in San Diego for a shipbuilder for the Navy. At any rate, he emailed me a picture of one of the engines going into this ship. It's a MAN, 6 cylinder 2 stroke diesel with an 11MW output at 105 rpm :perfect:

It's four stories tall :stare:

e: whoa that's huge. Take a look at the man sized hole in the crane to the right for some perspective...

ehhhhh how hard could it be to swap it for a W16? Betcha you could get some sick revs out of it and do doughnuts in the harbor...

So how the gently caress do you fix something that big? How do you even lift the spare parts into it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

If you're stuck with something SUV-like, the CX-5 seems to be the clear cut way to go.

I liked it when I test drove one in 2013, but Mazda thinks they're worth an awful lot more than a CR-V.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Micromanagement chat:

90% of my dealership hates my boss, who happens to be the Office Manager of the dealership, as well as the head Controller for all of the dealerships in our chain.

I'm completely separated from the rest of the office staff. She's on the complete opposite side of the dealership and on a different floor as well, and she'll be (along with the rest of the office staff) even further away from me when we move into our shiny new dealership in two months. I probably speak to her once or twice every-other day. I punch in, get my poo poo done, and punch out. If I have any issues I call and she helps, if she has any issues she calls and lets me know. Pretty rad.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I liked it when I test drove one in 2013, but Mazda thinks they're worth an awful lot more than a CR-V.

I'm not sure about incentives, but model for model, the Mazda has a lower sticker, from 2 grand on the base model to 3 grand at the top.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Milosh posted:

Fullsize jeep wagoneer with woodgrain, then drop a 6BT, T444e, or 6.5 turbodiesel in it depending on your preference. loving classy as hell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TRIGGER WARNING: AUTOMOTIVE SANITY AHEAD

Powershift posted:

I'm not sure about incentives, but model for model, the Mazda has a lower sticker, from 2 grand on the base model to 3 grand at the top.

It looks like that's changed since 2013. When I was shopping them against each other then, the CX5 sport was the same price as the LX, but that meant you had a stick (which would've been a plus) and no backup camera (big minus, it was a must-have from my wife). It also got the 2.0L engine with 155hp so you're down 30hp. No, neither of these are hotrods, but a 2.0 CX5 is pretty anemic.

To get a backup camera meant stepping up to the Touring, the 2.4L, and the automatic, which put it squarely at CR-V EX pricing, and since the CX-5 had just come out no dealer was willing to do much of anything on discounting. The CR-V had been out for a year and the dealers seemed much more open to negotiation. Best price I got for a CX-5 was still about $4k more than I paid for the CR-V.

Mazda's site seems to be really confusing as to what the pricing really is. This table makes it seem like you can get either the Sport Manual or the Sport Automatic for $21.7k:

But when you go to the builder and check the automatic box:

Truecar shows a $1k advantage on the CR-V comparing the 2015 CR-V to the 2016 CX-5, and if the price difference had been that in 2013 I might've gone CX-5 instead. The updates on the 2015 CR-V might push it back to dead-even with the CX-5 with what little fun a crossover can deliver.

END TRIGGER WARNING

LS7/TR-6060 in a Buick Roadmaster, of course.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
These guys are local to me (that's filmed in a seedy area of Worcester MA) and I am pretty sure it would haul a lot of children, probably more than you can fit in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaIa1XqvFrE

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

This. I had one for my youngest's early years and they are solid. Providing you don't get the twin-turbo V6 that eats GM transmissions or the V8 that eats an unlubricated bearing deep inside the motor. And the angle gear likes to leak on the AWD versions. Basically, get a FWD with the turbo 5 cylinder and they are perfect cars for that use.

I've actually been looking for another one to pick up as a spare, it's nice to have a 7 seater with a lot of space some times.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I'd get a CX5 over a CRV even if I wasn't a mazda homer. It's less boring to drive, for as much as a crossover can be

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Milosh posted:

V6 RAV4. Based on budget you are probably looking at a CPO, but they are surprisingly fast. Interior is cheap, but it you have a kid and a dog they might as well ruin something you didn't pay a lot for.

If you don't have an irrational prejudice about them, check out a Sienna too. Getting kids in and out of a van is way easier than anything with "normal" doors, but not as relevant if you only have one.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

mungtor posted:

V6 RAV4. they are surprisingly fast.

There was a time when the V6 Rav4 was the fastest car Toyota made. Think about that for a second.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Milosh posted:

I did this going on 2 years ago now, had a 2000 outback that we both hated and knew we wanted another wagon. Ended up buying a tdi Jetta/Golf sportwagen and it is awesome. Part of me wishes we would have got the 6spd manual, but with the way traffic is in Seattle, I am really happy with the DSG. Probably the best automatic I have ever driven. We were cross shopping used BMW wagons, and for a couple grand more ended up with a car that gets way better fuel economy and a full warranty.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MustardFacial posted:

There was a time when the V6 Rav4 was the fastest car Toyota made. Think about that for a second.

We had one. It's surprisingly quick. If you get one, though, make sure it's AWD. The FWD version is nothing but annoying wheelspin, whether you are trying for it or not.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Grandmother (father's side) just died, but that's okay because she's had dementia for years and years and even before that was a racist bitch who told me I was taking my entire family to hell when I was 14 because I didn't believe in God.

Worse (don't really care about dead gramma, honestly) is that today my fiancee told me she was cut off by a left turning pickup on her motorcycle and totaled the motorcycle (1979 CB650, not a gigantic loss but it did finally run well after three years of loving with it and had become her daily driver), and is missing about a foot square of skin off of her right arm and right leg. Pickup drove off.

There's probably nothing she could have done about the pickup or crash (she didn't "layer dan," but did the correct MSF-taught technique of trying to swerve, atta girl!) but I"m pissed I held off installing the dashcam I had already bought for her bike until after this deployment. It arrived in the mail a few days before I left and I was so swamped with work for leaving that I just put it off. She has a windshield and everything and installation would have been super easy :(

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honestly, I like my CR-V. It's slow but it's stupid cheap to run and dead reliable.

Same. It's a people hauling appliance, but it does what it's supposed to very well.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

SilentW posted:

So how the gently caress do you fix something that big? How do you even lift the spare parts into it?

From my limited experience: there's probably padeyes and other fixtures in the engine room to hook up various lifting/rigging tools to move things around. If a big enough piece needs to be moved in, they'll cut a hole somewhere to bring it in.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Are P215/65 R16 tires just an odd size or what? I have the tires on rims I took off my wife's old car and have them for sale at $275 obo and no one has said anything about them for a few weeks now. One tire is basically brand new (transmission died like a week after I got it) and the others are in fairly new condition; maybe 3k miles on them.

I was expecting them to move quickly 'cause I'm poor, but I guess everyone else that drives a Taurus or Sable is too because I've had no messages on them at all.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Milosh posted:

WRX Wagon? 11-14

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

WRX Wagon? 11-14

They're not that spacious if you've got kids and dogs.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Honda Element? Dog Car of the Year in 2007. Probably shares lots of parts from the CRV.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Yo, just to let everyone with Prime know, these are on the list for deals tomorrow:

-Save up to 50% on select tools for the DIY auto enthusiast
-Connected Car and Scan Tool products starting at 60% off
-Road-trip-ready automotive products starting at 50% off

Full list here

edit: heh

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 15, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
No plat pleb spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
STR, hang in there dude! I wish your mom and you the best!

Milosh posted:

How has no one said an ecoboost Flex? Or are they junk and I've just never heard about it?

• Locked thread