Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Can someone explain video antennas to me?

I had one which I broke on my ZMR250. The new one I put on there is loving terrible.

I have a new set on their way that "match" but I'm confused as to what's going on. Any ideas?

From left to right:

RX = [4-prong] What I have hooked up to my goggles (FatSharks)
TX = [3-prong] What I have hooked up to my quad (the only change I've made to the fpv setup)
Broken Antenna = [3-prong] What I originally had on my quad, which worked way better. Until I crashed into a tire. Then it worked not at all.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Can someone explain video antennas to me?

I had one which I broke on my ZMR250. The new one I put on there is loving terrible.

I have a new set on their way that "match" but I'm confused as to what's going on. Any ideas?

From left to right:

RX = [4-prong] What I have hooked up to my goggles (FatSharks)
TX = [3-prong] What I have hooked up to my quad (the only change I've made to the fpv setup)
Broken Antenna = [3-prong] What I originally had on my quad, which worked way better. Until I crashed into a tire. Then it worked not at all.

Very brief description.

3 Lobe (prong) is cloverleaf.
4 Lobe is Skew Planar

Clover leaf tend to go on the Tx, while Skew Planar go on the Rx. Clover has a nice even pattern it will emit the signal in. Skew Planar does a better job of rejecting signals that bounce off other objects before reaching the antenna, which causes them to offset time wise (out of phase), and is referred to as multi-pathing.

I can think of 3 possible reasons for your issues.

1. Check that one of the plugs on the VRx unit or the antenna has a center pin. If they are both female, the antenna isn't even connected. Both male you likely would have noticed. You can cut a pin from any spare headers to length, to convert a female end to male, but its not optimal.

2. Check that both VTx and VRx antenna are both left hand, or both right hand polarized. If you mix the two, you'll get terrible performance. They are designed to ignore opposite polarity signals. I think yours match, but I'd double check it.

3. It could just be a really terrible antenna. But I've still been managing to get 1km range out of the generic ones on 5.8ghz 200mw.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It can be worth it to invest in slightly better antennae from ibcrazy or fatshark or the like, though I did manage to get 800+ meters (on accident, I got turned around when doin fpv on my apprentice and ended up past a hill) on this and an ebay patch antenna (and 3 times that with no issues on the flysight antenna, and the same ebay patch antenna)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 10, 2015

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Golluk posted:

Very brief description.

3 Lobe (prong) is cloverleaf.
4 Lobe is Skew Planar

Clover leaf tend to go on the Tx, while Skew Planar go on the Rx. Clover has a nice even pattern it will emit the signal in. Skew Planar does a better job of rejecting signals that bounce off other objects before reaching the antenna, which causes them to offset time wise (out of phase), and is referred to as multi-pathing.

I can think of 3 possible reasons for your issues.

1. Check that one of the plugs on the VRx unit or the antenna has a center pin. If they are both female, the antenna isn't even connected. Both male you likely would have noticed. You can cut a pin from any spare headers to length, to convert a female end to male, but its not optimal.

2. Check that both VTx and VRx antenna are both left hand, or both right hand polarized. If you mix the two, you'll get terrible performance. They are designed to ignore opposite polarity signals. I think yours match, but I'd double check it.

3. It could just be a really terrible antenna. But I've still been managing to get 1km range out of the generic ones on 5.8ghz 200mw.

Yeah... I get 10m of reception.

Where are these pins, where the wire would be in a coax?

Figure out what you were talking about. I've since added a paper clip cut to fit in there. I'm honestly hoping that does it. :laffo:

EDIT:

HAH! I was getting like 30-40ft before it would poo poo on me. I just chopped a paperclip up and threw it in the pin holes and walked across an office building, through walls and all sorts of poo poo and it worked like a charm. New antennas are in the mail, but fuuuuccck am I pleased right now.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 10, 2015

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

A Yolo Wizard posted:

It can be worth it to invest in slightly better antennae from ibcrazy or fatshark or the like, though I did manage to get 800+ meters (on accident, I got turned around when doin fpv on my apprentice and ended up past a hill) on this and an ebay patch antenna (and 3 times that with no issues on the flysight antenna, and the same ebay patch antenna)

I'm very tempted to get a set of Airblades from VAS. But then I'm not sure how much further I'll really get on those with 5.8. I feel like if I'm going to spend the cash on good antenna, I should make the jump to 1.3 at the same time. I sure as hell have the flight time to get far after all.

Glad to hear your video is working now. I was guessing it was a female-female no connection problem.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Yeah... I get 10m of reception.

Where are these pins, where the wire would be in a coax?

Figure out what you were talking about. I've since added a paper clip cut to fit in there. I'm honestly hoping that does it. :laffo:

EDIT:

HAH! I was getting like 30-40ft before it would poo poo on me. I just chopped a paperclip up and threw it in the pin holes and walked across an office building, through walls and all sorts of poo poo and it worked like a charm. New antennas are in the mail, but fuuuuccck am I pleased right now.

there are two types of SMA connector SMA and RP-SMA. If you end up with the wrong combo you can fry the transmitter as they will often overheat if the antenna isn't making proper contact.

If you have a pin missing in your sma antenna to socket match you are probably mixing both types.

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record
Custom designed & cut 180 frame for my next build:

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

mashed_penguin posted:

you can fry the transmitter as they will often overheat if the antenna isn't making proper contact.

Also, you can cook it just enough that it will just output at a very low power, so be sure to range test it before you fly it again.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Golluk posted:

Check that one of the plugs on the VRx unit or the antenna has a center pin. If they are both female, the antenna isn't even connected. Both male you likely would have noticed. You can cut a pin from any spare headers to length, to convert a female end to male, but its not optimal.

:aaaaa: Son of a BITCH. :aaaaa:

I was having reception issues that I couldn't figure out, and after reading this, checked my connectors. Sure enough, female to female with both sets of antenna I have, including the whip antenna THAT CAME WITH THE TRANSMITTER. :wtc:

Thanks for this, even if I feel like an idiot right now.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Yeah, I'm assuming RC stuff is all SMA connectors, but you have SMA and RP-SMA. They aren't interchangeable unless you have an adapter

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arrest that rear end! posted:

Custom designed & cut 180 frame for my next build:

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnice

What sorta props are you going with? 1306 motors?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I made a mistake today; it was trusting my father to help launch my talon.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
fuuuuuuuuckk :(

Insonix
Dec 5, 2007

DON'T BET ON ME.
A question for the experts. I have a DJ Phantom 2 vision (not the plus) with it's camera. Recently it had a small crash. The rotors work ok, it still callibrates and senses tilting but the camera's servo does not work and it appears to have lost gps capabillities. Also the app does not show battery time anymore.

But it flies just fine.

Any suggestions on the parts I should replace to fix the issues? (Sorry I'm new on drones stuff)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I made a mistake today; it was trusting my father to help launch my talon.

What did he do? Throw it the wrong way!?!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yeah he limp wristed it in a way I was not aware was possible and it sort of went butt first into a pile of fence wire (I wasn't sure why he was moving towards that).

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnice

What sorta props are you going with? 1306 motors?

Sunnysky 1306 3100kv and HQProp 4x4.5 bullnose props.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Button in between the eyes was hacked in. Press = re-center the gimbal and view "forward" and hold = toggle head tracking on/off.
Way easier than messing with pressing that little back-forth switch on a corner of the damned things straight up or straight down. Also pretty intuitive and lots of tactile cues since you're guaranteed to be doing it blind.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Oh yeah, I only just heard of Immersion's upcoming Vortex racing build and read up on it. Holy dogballs it sounds amazing. The feature list just keeps going on and on :allears:

I'd love to get into multirotor FPV racing and it sounds like Immersion would love to let me :haw:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mister Sinewave posted:

Button in between the eyes was hacked in. Press = re-center the gimbal and view "forward" and hold = toggle head tracking on/off.
Way easier than messing with pressing that little back-forth switch on a corner of the damned things straight up or straight down. Also pretty intuitive and lots of tactile cues since you're guaranteed to be doing it blind.

Eeewwww haha that's great.

I made a little 5.8 setup and I'm pretty impressed with it:

It will go through the walls in my house, and even through ground and concrete to the parking lot outside my apartment. I didn't think 5.8 could do this. Especially not a little $25 Neweer transmitter and cheap RC305 reciever. I did put circular polarized antennas on them but they are also $15 chinese "Mr.RC" brand. This is equivalent to what I can do with my linear 1.2GHz setup but like 1/5 the weight. All the intro to FPV videos say 5.8 can't penetrate walls and brush but it seems like it totally can in my limited experience.

This is such a terribly bad photo but it is super late. The view from out back, beaming to the TV in my basement through concrete stairs in the middle of the night. I can understand going through drywall but how can it do this?:

I am very happy with this thing, got some goggles in the mail. Can't wait to take it out.

EDIT: is there a little box with an SD slot I can plug into my video receiver to record my FPV flights?

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 13, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mister Sinewave posted:

Oh yeah, I only just heard of Immersion's upcoming Vortex racing build and read up on it. Holy dogballs it sounds amazing. The feature list just keeps going on and on :allears:

I'd love to get into multirotor FPV racing and it sounds like Immersion would love to let me :haw:

Are you referring to the simulator? or the actual craft. the vortex 250 racer is already out, and you can try fpv freerider right now http://fpv-freerider.itch.io/fpv-freerider

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

Pretty annoying sitting around waiting for a flight controller (dodo) to finish this 180 quad. It seems like whenever I get stuff sent from Canada it takes loving ages; probably because of <national stereotype>.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I meant the actual craft. I did a web search and wound up at readymaderc's preorder page and liked what I saw. The TX calibration and setup plus everything including pid tuning done via an OSD & TX interface was really cool. I didn't know about the 250 being already out.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mister Sinewave posted:

I meant the actual craft. I did a web search and wound up at readymaderc's preorder page and liked what I saw. The TX calibration and setup plus everything including pid tuning done via an OSD & TX interface was really cool. I didn't know about the 250 being already out.

Seems to be plagued by some QC issues with the motors and apparently not that hard to break (parts of) the frame either.
While that's seemingly normal, their attitude to people complaining about it is very poor, which has pretty much put me of buying one. I think I'll get a Morphling or Morphite instead.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can only hope raceband doesn't stay vendor proprietary. Lots of nice headsets are out these days

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Arrest that rear end! posted:

Pretty annoying sitting around waiting for a flight controller (dodo) to finish this 180 quad. It seems like whenever I get stuff sent from Canada it takes loving ages; probably because of <national stereotype>.

The <national stereotype> for Canadians getting things from the states are long waits at the border followed by extortionist brokerage fees.

I once shopped around for a place that had what I wanted and offered USPS shipping only for them to upgrade me to UPS shipping for free. Thanks for the extra $40 fee at the door rear end in a top hat.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Seems to be plagued by some QC issues with the motors and apparently not that hard to break (parts of) the frame either.
While that's seemingly normal, their attitude to people complaining about it is very poor, which has pretty much put me of buying one. I think I'll get a Morphling or Morphite instead.

Dang, that's disappointing to hear. It was pretty exciting looking, but as they say never buy something based on the ad copy.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maiden FPV flight: instantly crashed into my neighbours car :thumbsup:

I can navigate alright in the air but drat is it ever tricky to take off.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I am amazed this guy didn't fly away, or maul my drone. I got pretty close...

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

helno posted:

The <national stereotype> for Canadians getting things from the states are long waits at the border followed by extortionist brokerage fees.

I once shopped around for a place that had what I wanted and offered USPS shipping only for them to upgrade me to UPS shipping for free. Thanks for the extra $40 fee at the door rear end in a top hat.

http://trueler.com/2010/09/13/ups-brokerage-fees-total-scam-fraud-cheating-avoid-it/

Every Canadian needs to read that. I saved $150 on brokerage for my RMRC/Hobbyking orders just by getting the FedEx paperwork, walking across the street and paying the tax directly to CBSA myself.

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

Actually it ended up coming pretty quick. 4 working days to the UK. Also idk why I thought RMRC was Canadian because apparently they're in Ohio

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I have been admiring the quadcopter market for a while now, and finally joined the club with the Phantom 3 Pro.

It's pretty awesome! Unfortunately I've only had a chance to fly it a few times because of unlucky (and infuriating) hardware issues. The first one had to go back to B&H because of a hardware issue that prevented the firmware from being updated, and I just had to send back the second one because after a week of no issues, the air encoder died and I no longer got a video stream while flying.

Maybe the third time's the charm? Too bad B&H is out of stock again and I get to wait 2-4 weeks!

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

I think DJI stuff is pretty bad and stupid.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
But do they have any real competition? Until I ran into hardware issues (I will say their QC and tech support are fiery garbage) I was thoroughly impressed with the unit. Flew flawlessly right out of the box, and the fact I can stream live HD video from 2 miles away is amazing to me. The camera could be better, but looks great at 1080p60 IMO.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
DJI has very little real competition, so they won't bother improving QC and service until it starts costing them sales.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How are Blade units? I think if I wanted to go with an out-of-the-box GoPro gimbal quad I'd go for a Blade 350, I like all the SAFE stuff they're always going on about.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think you can get a phantom 2 for the same or a similar price to the blade 350 qx2

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 15, 2015

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Coxswain Balls posted:

http://trueler.com/2010/09/13/ups-brokerage-fees-total-scam-fraud-cheating-avoid-it/

Every Canadian needs to read that. I saved $150 on brokerage for my RMRC/Hobbyking orders just by getting the FedEx paperwork, walking across the street and paying the tax directly to CBSA myself.

Doesn't work so well when the closest office is over an hour away.