Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Could a tsunami backflow up the Columbia up to Portland?

EDIT: Looks like the answer is no, it couldn't:

"Any water level increases caused by a tsunami would be so slight as to be almost immeasurable around the Portland metropolitan area or Bonneville Dam, the study showed. But water could rise as much as 13 feet just inside the mouth of the Columbia River, and almost 7 feet within a few miles of Astoria."

Magres posted:

How screwed/safe is Corvallis (where Oregon State University is)? I've only been out here a few years and my knowledge of geography out here is awful

No tsunami danger, but you're going to get shaken just as much as the rest of us, and you''ll probably lose power for extended periods of time along with everyone else, and that's going to suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Kaal posted:

Fortunately the woman who wrote the New Yorker article also has an incomplete understanding of geography. Her dire allusions that everything west of I-5 (or even the Cascade Mountain Range) would be inundated was completely absurd to anyone that had looked at a map before. The Oregon Coastal Range protects pretty much all the heavily populated areas from a tsunami - the planet would rip itself apart before generating 1,500 foot waves. Washington is similarly protected by the Olympic Mountains - though it would have severe flooding throughout the Puget Sound area. This isn't to diminish the earthquake concerns, which are very real and would be devastating, but the tsunami issues are pretty much limited to the immediate coastal areas. I'd honestly be more worried about Hawaii than Oregon or Washington in terms of tsunami concerns, since there's far more people living in tsunami areas there.

This is absolutely correct. If you want to get a better idea of how bad it would be go read the Oregon Resilience Plan, specifically Chapter 1. The coasts are hosed and the whole thing would be a humanitarian disaster, but the major populated areas aren't going to instantly collapse into rubble and then be swept aside by a biblical flood. There wouldn't even be any appreciable land subsidence in the Portland area.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Kaal posted:

though it would have severe flooding throughout the Puget Sound area.

Which is great as I'm in the nice flat area of the Skagit Valley. Plus a quake and shift of that magnitude would likely crack the Baker Dam, which would severely mess up some of the immediate areas just below (Concrete, etc).

I have no idea why people get so worked up about this. I've got a friend that's paranoid as hell about the Yellowstone Supervolcano as well. It's just not worth worrying about global timelines for things like this.

I'm not averse moving up a hill and watching the Valley flood, though. I'm okay with that.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I'd be more worried a major quake wakes up one of the local volcanoes instead of a giant tsunami ravaging the city. We're all screwed once Mt. Rainier goes.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

LGD posted:

This is absolutely correct. If you want to get a better idea of how bad it would be go read the Oregon Resilience Plan, specifically Chapter 1. The coasts are hosed and the whole thing would be a humanitarian disaster, but the major populated areas aren't going to instantly collapse into rubble and then be swept aside by a biblical flood. There wouldn't even be any appreciable land subsidence in the Portland area.

I like how I5 is colored red, compared to the rest of the highway system being colored black, potentially indicating that it'll get hosed up. Or I guess parts of 84 are red, too? So I'm guessing this was a study done with federal dollars, so they didn't look at any of the state highways :lol:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LGD posted:

Yeah, that was the map I was thinking of when I mentioned that Eugene is an island of tectonic stability for whatever reason.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3da1mh/we_are_earthquake_experts_ask_us_anything_about/

This is a good read for anyone worried about this I guess.

quote:

NorthwestBigQuake[S] 63 points 6 hours ago

The tsunami won't really be a factor in Seattle or Puget Sound. By the time the swell gets here, it will be pretty small. But the quake could trigger landslides here that cause localized swamping. Sandi Doughton

So the Puget Sound/South Sound region is probably not really at risk of tsunami like the article implies. There's a bunch of other really great tidbits in there to calm our quavering hearts. I think the main things to worry about at least in Seattle would be the landslides because someone decided the best place to build a big city would be on hills and fill.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
im more worried about being on one of our shittier bridges if it happens while im still alive than anything else

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I actively avoid being on the viaduct and 520 as much as humanly possible. Given that a strong wind breaks bolts on 520 and 99 has pieces cracking off regularly and both are rated a 9/100 on safety I just... don't go on them. I had to drive over 520 before they shut it down on the last big wind storm and I had serious white knuckles happening.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I think in general many people on the East Coast might have a hazy idea of West Coast geography, and not know that Portland is more than 50 miles from the coast, and that there is a mountain range between them.

The thing about this is that while the risks are real, the gigantic risk posed by a subduction quake is less than the "minor" risk posed by "normal" natural disasters. Statistically speaking, hurricanes and tornadoes are much more deadly than earthquakes.

In fact, by one map of natural disasters, Corvallis is the safest place in the US:

http://theamericangenius.com/housing-news/natural-disaster-risk-assessment-reveals-most-and-least-dangerous-cities/

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Big earth quakes are also significantly rarer than horrific tornadoes. I spent alot of time in TN huddled in hallways and basements. In 18 years I probably had 3 very serious scares. In 10 years of living in Seattle there hasn't even been a blip.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I thought the main danger was due to our lovely unreinforced masonry and the fact that we (unlike California) haven't bothered to retrofit a lot of bridges, apartments, schools, office buildings, that sort of thing. Throw in the fact that our largest hospital is a supervillain's lair atop a mountain, with only a few twisty roads and a sky-bus to provide access, and we're looking at a lot of casualties just due to poo poo falling down. Only the poor bastards on the coast are worried about a tsunami.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

sullat posted:

I thought the main danger was due to our lovely unreinforced masonry and the fact that we (unlike California) haven't bothered to retrofit a lot of bridges, apartments, schools, office buildings, that sort of thing. Throw in the fact that our largest hospital is a supervillain's lair atop a mountain, with only a few twisty roads and a sky-bus to provide access, and we're looking at a lot of casualties just due to poo poo falling down. Only the poor bastards on the coast are worried about a tsunami.

What

Do tell

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Magres posted:

What

Do tell

OHSU

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

I wasn't expecting the trams. Wow.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Magres posted:

What

Do tell

Ok, I exaggerate for dramatic effect. The monkey labs are actully in Beaverton, away from the normals. And I don't think they're creating genetic abominations in the tunnels beneath the hill. Anymore. But it's a pain to get there in the best of times, I reckon a major earthquake would make it really difficult for them to render any aid or take in any patients. More so than the other major hospitals in town.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

morcant posted:

Rich doctors demanded magical access to work. Voila. Democracy!

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

FRINGE posted:

Rich doctors demanded magical access to work. Voila. Democracy!

Tbf vehicle access is really lovely.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Tigntink posted:

I actively avoid being on the viaduct and 520 as much as humanly possible. Given that a strong wind breaks bolts on 520 and 99 has pieces cracking off regularly and both are rated a 9/100 on safety I just... don't go on them. I had to drive over 520 before they shut it down on the last big wind storm and I had serious white knuckles happening.

Yeah I always clench my butthole just a lil bit whenever I have to drive on the viaduct. Good thing we're getting a replaceme... oh

In happier news the First Hill streetcar is finally here and doing test runs. :toot:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

morcant posted:

for a second i thought that was like some artist's concept sketch of what bellevue could look like with a private cable car across the lake for tech workers

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Tigntink posted:

I work in West Seattle and have to cross over the Viaduct to go into downtown more frequently than anyone ought to. Fingers crossed I'll be dead already or out in the worst parts of Auburn where the only thing I have to worry about are falling power lines and meth lab explosions.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The second biggest reason that the coast would be totally hosed by the big one is that every road and power transmission line going across the coast range will almost certainly be thoroughly destroyed. They're not going to have anything that isn't brought in by the navy (odds on how many aircraft carriers wind up getting parked off the coast?) until well after the inland areas get at least partly unfucked.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

morcant posted:

the trams are super fun on windy days

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Some mayor in the town of Airway Heights (a few miles west of Spokane) posted some ring wing meme that compared Barack and Michelle to monkeys. He's being asked to resign by his city council, he won't. Here's his reasoning:

quote:

“I made a mistake. I owned up to my mistake,” Rushing said. “If I do resign that’s admitting I’m a racist and I’m not.”

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/jul/14/airway-heights-mayor-asked-resign/

I'M NOT RACIST THAT'S WHAT'S SO INSANE ABOUT THIS!

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

SyHopeful posted:

Tbf vehicle access is really lovely.

Seriously - the only bus that runs up there is the 8 and the waiting list for employee parking is years long.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Seriously - the only bus that runs up there is the 8 and the waiting list for employee parking is years long.
The 65 runs up there for rush hour, you can take the streetcar to the aerial tram, even C-TRAN has a bus that goes up there.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

glowing-fish posted:

I think in general many people on the East Coast might have a hazy idea of West Coast geography, and not know that Portland is more than 50 miles from the coast, and that there is a mountain range between them.

The thing about this is that while the risks are real, the gigantic risk posed by a subduction quake is less than the "minor" risk posed by "normal" natural disasters. Statistically speaking, hurricanes and tornadoes are much more deadly than earthquakes.

In fact, by one map of natural disasters, Corvallis is the safest place in the US:

http://theamericangenius.com/housing-news/natural-disaster-risk-assessment-reveals-most-and-least-dangerous-cities/

Yeah Corvallis with be fine with regards to any tsunami. It's almost 100 miles south of Portland and the lower parts are good 200 ft higher than the low lying parts of Portland. If you're that worried just live on Witham Hill.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm very scared of earthquakes and don't want to think/talk about them. Unfortunately this seems to be government's policy on the matter too.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Glad, I live further inland and don't need to worry overtly much about earthquakes. Of course, I guess it's a tradeoff to worrying about wildfires.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Wasn't the big risk to Seattle liquefaction and landslides (as mentioned)? The number stated in the New Yorker article is 15% of Seattle is on fill, which is prime for liquefaction. What part(s) of Seattle is that? I'd guess based on my rudimentary understanding of Seattle's geology (from underground tours :eyeroll:) that a large part of the waterfront/downtown core is quite hosed. Anyone have any resources for any studies done on the liquefaction risk in the downtown region?

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

anthonypants posted:

The 65 runs up there for rush hour, you can take the streetcar to the aerial tram, even C-TRAN has a bus that goes up there.

Well yeah, the point was the aerial tram is good. I didn't know about the C-TRAN bus though.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

krispykremessuck posted:

Wasn't the big risk to Seattle liquefaction and landslides (as mentioned)? The number stated in the New Yorker article is 15% of Seattle is on fill, which is prime for liquefaction. What part(s) of Seattle is that? I'd guess based on my rudimentary understanding of Seattle's geology (from underground tours :eyeroll:) that a large part of the waterfront/downtown core is quite hosed. Anyone have any resources for any studies done on the liquefaction risk in the downtown region?

http://your.kingcounty.gov/dnrp/library/water-and-land/flooding/local-hazard-mitigation-plan-update/liquefaction-hazard-map.pdf

I imagine that most of the red areas are probably fill with some of the orange areas also being fill. It looks like downtown is pretty much safe as far as liquefaction goes!

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
I'll laugh if this megaquake causes Bertha's tunnel to kill more people than the viaduct ever could've.

Assuming the tunnel is ever finished.

And assuming anyone can afford the tolls.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Baronjutter posted:

I'm very scared of earthquakes and don't want to think/talk about them. Unfortunately this seems to be government's policy on the matter too.

I can assure you the government thinks about this as much as tax payers allow, which is mostly to say quite a bit because the public doesn't want to think about it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Irradiation posted:

Yeah Corvallis with be fine with regards to any tsunami. It's almost 100 miles south of Portland and the lower parts are good 200 ft higher than the low lying parts of Portland. If you're that worried just live on Witham Hill.

Portland's not even going to be impacted by any tsunami. The link I posted says that even a tsunami from a magnitude 9 earthquake will maybe rise the river a couple inches at Portland.

Seriously the only people who have cause to be worried about tsunamis are on the coast. (EDIT: Or people living on the other side of the Pacific.) Everyone else just needs to worry about whether the roof will come down on their head.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Well yeah, the point was the aerial tram is good. I didn't know about the C-TRAN bus though.

It is, but it was an over budget boondoggle in it's own right.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
One of my classmates couldn't sleep last night since she's so scared of the big earthquake. :(

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

bartkusa posted:

I'll laugh if this megaquake causes Bertha's tunnel to kill more people than the viaduct ever could've.

Assuming the tunnel is ever finished.

And assuming anyone can afford the tolls.

The tunnel is specifically engineered to withstand massive earthquakes and will probably be one of the safest places in the city if/when The Big One hits.

Reason posted:

http://your.kingcounty.gov/dnrp/library/water-and-land/flooding/local-hazard-mitigation-plan-update/liquefaction-hazard-map.pdf

I imagine that most of the red areas are probably fill with some of the orange areas also being fill. It looks like downtown is pretty much safe as far as liquefaction goes!

This is interesting, thanks for posting. Looks like I'm maybe a hundred meters from the red part, not that I trust my 100+ year old house that's on a pretty decent slope.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

A Bag of Milk posted:

This is interesting, thanks for posting. Looks like I'm maybe a hundred meters from the red part, not that I trust my 100+ year old house that's on a pretty decent slope.

Well the classic thing platitude here is that if your Seattle-area house is 100+ years old then it's already ridden out three major earthquakes just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
There's also a much, much higher chance a car or truck smashes into you on the highway tomorrow then a major quake crushes you.

• Locked thread