Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DutchDupe posted:

Wasn't a Pakistani nuclear physicist responsible for all sorts of nuclear proliferation with Iran, Libya, North Korea?

Non-proliferation is a good thing, I don't think there is any reasonable argument saying otherwise. If Iran gets the bomb then Saudi Arabia gets the bomb and you've started a nuclear arms race in the Middle East.

I don't know, how many wars have India and Pakistan fought against each other? How many wars have they fought since both of them having nuclear weapons? MAD is obviosly terrible, but part of me thinks it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Skwirl posted:

I don't know, how many wars have India and Pakistan fought against each other? How many wars have they fought since both of them having nuclear weapons? MAD is obviosly terrible, but part of me thinks it works.

They fought one since 1997.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Skwirl posted:

MAD is an amazingly stupid thing that works really well. Everyone knows if they set off an atomic bomb the US is going to destroy them. We don't even have to use an atomic bomb, we can just bomb your country until it is reduced to rubble. If someone used an atomic bomb we probably would drop 1 nuke, just because, and then send in the military to level the country.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

DutchDupe posted:

Non-proliferation is a good thing, I don't think there is any reasonable argument saying otherwise. If Iran gets the bomb then Saudi Arabia gets the bomb and you've started a nuclear arms race in the Middle East.

While I agree with less nukes overall is a good thing, I feel like the US telling other countries to not develop their nuclear weapons, and don't get into an arms race is a tad hypocritical. How much can Iran (and any other country who we don't feel is nuke-worthy) milk out of us from constantly trying to make these deals where they keep delaying their nuclear program. Is our resident libertarian candidate saying anything about this yet?

I understand the argument that Iran's government isn't stable enough to protect a bomb, but anyone who thinks that the government proper will use a nuke against Israel is crazy. Iran knows that if they do, even the most anti-Israel American's would cheer turning their entire country into a smooth glass slate.

The Nastier Nate fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 15, 2015

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

The Nastier Nate posted:

Is our resident libertarian candidate saying anything about this yet?

He's opposed. Launched a three-part series of Tweet gifs with his reasons for finding the deal "unacceptable."

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

The Nastier Nate posted:

I understand the argument that Iran's government isn't stable enough to protect a bomb...

How is this true?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

The Nastier Nate posted:

While I agree with less nukes overall is a good thing, I feel like the US telling other countries to not develop their nuclear weapons, and don't get into an arms race is a tad hypocritical.

It's not about who's hypocritical, it's just bad for everyone if every disagreement in the violtile middle east can end in ww3

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mo_Steel posted:

Imagine the debates. Like this but x100:

:syoon: I cannot imagine a more amused look than Bidens in that moment, it's absolutely "are you hearing this loving guy?" Trump would somehow amplify that.

That debate was complete magic. I need to go rewatch it someday.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

ImPureAwesome posted:

It's not about who's hypocritical, it's just bad for everyone if every disagreement in the violtile middle east can end in ww3

So you are under the assumption that they are crazy as gently caress and welcome nuclear war?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Pohl posted:

So you are under the assumption that they are crazy as gently caress and welcome nuclear war?

Like there aren't enough gleeful suicide bombers like isis in the middle east as there is. Regardless, Nuclear chicken to solve disputes probably isn't something that should be promoted as the cold war can attest

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

ImPureAwesome posted:

Like there aren't enough gleeful suicide bombers like isis in the middle east as there is. Regardless, Nuclear chicken to solve disputes probably isn't something that should be promoted as the cold war can attest

Suicide bombers don't run the country (Iran), dude. Plus, Iran hates Isis. In fact, Iran could be our best friend against Isis.

The cold war actually showed us that while we may start proxy wars at every opportunity, no one is going to drop a drat nuke because the repercussions are obvious.
You seriously have no idea what you are talking about.

Edit: you are just parroting "fear", why is that?

Pohl fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 15, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pohl posted:

Yeah, obviously Iran are a huge bunch of dicks, but I think they're main motivation for wanting nuclear weapons is that Israel has at least one and Saudi Arabia is buddy buddy with both us and Russia.

Maybe this is just playground rules and we can get Iran to agree to stop developing nuclear weapons if we agree to nuke any country that nukes them first?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

2016 Presidential Primary: PS. It's Your Gun, It's Your Freedom

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

ImPureAwesome posted:

Regardless, Nuclear chicken to solve disputes probably isn't something that should be promoted as the cold war can attest

What does this even mean? Can you tell me what your rational was when you posted this, because I really want to know.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, obviously Iran are a huge bunch of dicks, but I think they're main motivation for wanting nuclear weapons is that Israel has at least one and Saudi Arabia is buddy buddy with both us and Russia.

Maybe this is just playground rules and we can get Iran to agree to stop developing nuclear weapons if we agree to nuke any country that nukes them first?
Iran joins NATO, problem solved

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pohl posted:

MAD is an amazingly stupid thing that works really well. Everyone knows if they set off an atomic bomb the US is going to destroy them. We don't even have to use an atomic bomb, we can just bomb your country until it is reduced to rubble. If someone used an atomic bomb we probably would drop 1 nuke, just because, and then send in the military to level the country.

It works really well until it doesn't and we all die. Historically, we've been a button's press or a President's final authorization away from nuclear war on a sickening number of occasions.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Pohl posted:

What does this even mean? Can you tell me what your rational was when you posted this, because I really want to know.

The main idea is hawks in countries with nukes threatening their rival countries to do what they say or else saber-rattling. Maybe I said it poorly, sorry

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SedanChair posted:

Let’s win this race together and get to work protecting your right to hold your gun firmly in your own strong hands.

Governor Scott Walker
Is this real? This has to be a parody. It isn't a parody, is it.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

ImPureAwesome posted:

Regardless, Nuclear chicken to solve disputes probably isn't something that should be promoted as the cold war can attest

You could make the argument that if the cold war attests anything, it's that nuclear chicken is a great method of solving disputes

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

ImPureAwesome posted:

The main idea is hawks in countries with nukes threatening their rival countries to do what they say or else saber-rattling. Maybe I said it poorly, sorry

That makes no sense. According to your logic the west is threatening Iran and similar states with nuclear annihilation.
Why wouldn't those non nuclear countries want to develop nuclear weapons?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

It works really well until it doesn't and we all die. Historically, we've been a button's press or a President's final authorization away from nuclear war on a sickening number of occasions.

Even with human stupidity, it works. Fancy that.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Pohl posted:

That makes no sense. According to your logic the west is threatening Iran and similar states with nuclear annihilation.
Why wouldn't those non nuclear countries want to develop nuclear weapons?

no, i think the nuclear deal helps to lessen Iran's perceived threat of US's nuclear annihilation of Iran and in return Iran can't build a bomb to threaten say SA/Israel/whoever so they don't feel obliged to build one in parity (let's pretend we believe israel doesn't actually have one)

Bob Ojeda posted:

You could make the argument that if the cold war attests anything, it's that nuclear chicken is a great method of solving disputes

it's true, living in fear of instant glassing for a decade builds a ton of character :v:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

ImPureAwesome posted:

no, i think the nuclear deal helps to lessen Iran's perceived threat of US's nuclear annihilation of Iran and in return Iran can't build a bomb to threaten say SA/Israel/whoever so they don't feel obliged to build one in parity (let's pretend we believe israel doesn't actually have one)

it's true, living in fear of instant glassing for a decade builds a ton of character :v:

You are getting a little closer, but everyone talking about how bad of a deal this is, is freaking out that Iran is going to nuke Israel. That obviously isn't going to happen, but people seem to want that to be the truth. Iran has been the boogeyman for decades that we reflexively fall back upon, but they are good people. Sure, their government sucks, but I don't hate the Iranian people. They seem to be good guys and gals and I'd hate the idea that we harmed them because their government is awful.

Again, people against this deal think Iran is Satan and that they don't care about their own people. That is incorrect. The Iranian Government is horrible, but they are not going to risk their country and their people by nuking Israel. The very idea is dumb.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I like applying the anthropomorphic principle to MAD, which is that any discussion about MAD must definitionally take place in a world where MAD has worked (until that point), since a world in which it has failed won't last very long. It doesn't necessarily serve as evidence that MAD will keep working.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pohl posted:

Even with human stupidity, it works. Fancy that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov#The_incident

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MAD (particularly in the context of the Cold War) is idiotic and we're all lucky to be alive.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

MAD (particularly in the context of the Cold War) is idiotic and we're all lucky to be alive.

While scary, we are all alive. I would like to think these idiotic moments taught us something.
You realize we all know about this and other incidents during the Cold War, right? Yeah, that poo poo is scary, but I'm tired of being afraid.

Hell, I posted a link where America dropped a live nuke on itself earlier.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What MAD teaches me is that the Soviet educational system produced sensible and level-headed people. I would hesitate to have MAD where both parties are as irrational as Americans.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dolash posted:

I like applying the anthropomorphic principle to MAD, which is that any discussion about MAD must definitionally take place in a world where MAD has worked (until that point), since a world in which it has failed won't last very long. It doesn't necessarily serve as evidence that MAD will keep working.

Anthropic. That's a good point, but we've also seen another example of MAD working on a small scale with India and Pakistan not nuking each other despite having their own Cold War. It's not as reliable as abolishing nuclear weapons, but that's not possible with the current geopolitical situation so I'll settle for continued MAD.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Chamale posted:

Anthropic.

...Oh god. How long have I been saying that wrong? Although now it's put me in mind of humanized nuclear missiles so I guess it's not all bad.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pohl posted:

While scary, we are all alive. I would like to think these idiotic moments taught us something.
You realize we all know about this and other incidents during the Cold War, right? Yeah, that poo poo is scary, but I'm tired of being afraid.

Hell, I posted a link where America dropped a live nuke on itself earlier.

There's no reason to believe that we know about all of these incidents. You'd think people would learn from stupid catastrophes, but we had two major world wars 1 generation apart. History hasn't ended; things can get really bad really fast.

And you can adopt a principled stance against mutual assured destruction without living in fear. I recommend it!

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ImPureAwesome posted:

Once one country in the region gets a bomb everyone will want a bomb (like say SA) is the main reason

Lowtax has a nuclear program?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Fulchrum posted:

Lowtax has a nuclear program?

how else do you stave off 4chan

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

There's no reason to believe that we know about all of these incidents. You'd think people would learn from stupid catastrophes, but we had two major world wars 1 generation apart. History hasn't ended; things can get really bad really fast.

And you can adopt a principled stance against mutual assured destruction without living in fear. I recommend it!

I agree with everything in this post.
:hfive:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

usbombshell posted:

Has this been posted? Trump tweeted an image with the Waffen-SS in it.
It is now deleted.

I'm just going to quote this again for everyone who questioned whether this would be as fun as 2012.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Joementum posted:

I'm just going to quote this again for everyone who questioned whether this would be as fun as 2012.

It is only 2 am in my time zone, but what the hell why are you awake?

Pohl fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 15, 2015

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Those are Nazis, correct?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Those are Nazis, correct?

Why yes, yes they are :q:

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Chamale posted:

Anthropic. That's a good point, but we've also seen another example of MAD working on a small scale with India and Pakistan not nuking each other despite having their own Cold War. It's not as reliable as abolishing nuclear weapons, but that's not possible with the current geopolitical situation so I'll settle for continued MAD.

Russia, the country that actually matters most when it comes to MAD, doesn't even practice MAD as a matter of official nuclear policy. Russia claims it will use a nuke whenever it perceives an existential threat. Putin has talked about "limited nuclear war" and "de-escalating nuclear strikes," and, as nonsensical as that might sound on its face, he's probably right. If NATO tank divisions were to roll into Eastern Ukraine under the pretense of restoring Ukraine's sovereignty, and Russia would drop a tactical nuke on them, how would the US respond? Really, its the second nuke that gets dropped that ends human civilization, not the first one. So I definitely believe there could be a place for nuclear weapons in 21st century war. You just kinda gotta be careful about it and think super postmodern. There could also be cases like a nuclear strike by a non-state actor that couldn't be retaliated against with more nukes.

That's all beside the point though because the biggest reason the opposition to the Iran deal by all these candidates is nonsense is because there is no concrete evidence that Iran is attempting to build nuclear weapons. But I think it's important to remember that the principle of MAD is not even in use by all nuclear armed groups, let alone hypothetical future nuclear armed groups. I'm even skeptical of MAD as a working principle during the Cold War, since a number of the close calls were not averted by MAD, but only through some truly miraculous, repeated luck. A nukeless Iran is vastly preferable to a hypothetical nuclear armed Iran because less nukes in existence is always better. Surely, a significant and unilateral drawdown in the US nuclear weapons stockpile could be a winning campaign issue too. It's not just you and me. I feel like less and less Americans nowadays are willing to risk instant incineration for ideology or geopolitical chess games. But that could just be me not being cynical enough again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Joementum posted:

I'm already making plans to take August 7th off, since I'll be on Skype and playing a drinking-game with my US buddies as we watch the debate on the 6th.

Yes, I'm planning to get loving plastered almost a month in advance, why do you ask? :v:

• Locked thread