Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

They can have 100% cav in an army so if you can afford that it's probably a good choice

I tried this and they were all killed by a smaller Korean army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There is no cost for reinforcing, so merc infantry is fantastic value. Lots of horsies is a good idea, though.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

what tech levels?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

BBJoey posted:

what tech levels?

At the beginning of the game so 3.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Show us a battle screen - while you're in combat, not the summary report. Not to pick on you specifically, but I don't understand why so many people come into the thread and ask "why do I always lose battles" and expect us to be able to give good advice with nothing to go on.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

At the beginning of the game so 3.

Did you attack into the mountains? If you didn't, odds are just got hosed by the dice. C'est la vie.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I wasn't complaining. I would have figured out what went wrong myself but I had the game on speed 5 so I missed the battle. Just wondering if they changed the way horde cav worked or if Korea had better units at the start so I could eliminate that and stop wasting money on horses if they don;t do dick for me.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005
Can someone explain to me how the liberty desire mechanic actually works? I was playing Poland and had France under a PU with TO and Moldavia as vassals. TO had 50% liberty desire and the other two had 0%. Ottomans supports the independence of TO causing Moldavia to shoot up to 100% along with TO, then during the independence war that happened next month France who was not involved in this circle jerk at ALL broke the PU.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I wasn't complaining. I would have figured out what went wrong myself but I had the game on speed 5 so I missed the battle. Just wondering if they changed the way horde cav worked or if Korea had better units at the start so I could eliminate that and stop wasting money on horses if they don;t do dick for me.

Horde horsies are by far the best units in the game at the start, and Korean units (Chinese tech) are tied for the worst.

Two likely possibilities are 1. you attacked into mountains, which make up pretty much your entire border with them so I'd say that's the obvious one, and 2. they rolled a super-general (they start with the 6/5/5 King Sejong so this is also very possible).

e: if you don't go 100% cavalry why are you even playing a horde. don't sully your ancestors' name with walking.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

100% cav if you can afford it. But if the enemy has a longer front line that you, your cavalry will take a lot of damage. Better to fill up the line with a bunch of mercenary infantry to soak damage instead, since you don't have to pay them to reinforce.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Was super-excited to see the Ottomans decide to break up the alliance between Poland and Lithuania in my game, circa 1630. Finally I had my opening to take back Prussia and integrate them into the progressive, humanistic, pluralistic Bohemian state. Sure as I was lining up my old pal Hungary decided to be a drat fool and start a war with the Ottomans while they were enjoying the spoils of their latest fight against the Mamluks, but I still had The Hansa and Brunswick, both of whom had proven more than capable of killing Swedes- the only pal of note for Poland.

Get my troops in place, pop over to the war screen- France will be called? Oh they just took defender of the faith and will help out the Catholics.

Good to know even my chill liberal Germany will still have a reason to spend the next couple centuries looking for reasons to murder the French.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Am I the only one who gets tripped up by the region mapmode when going for achievements? I thought the blue was all of the western balkans so I didn't care how much AE I was going to get because I'd be done with dracula's revenge then this happened:

All I did was take four Croatian provinces. If you take land from someone you didn't check off on the war dec is your AE doubled?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The region mapmode is garbage, you should just be able to cycle through all of the regions after clicking on a province. The way it is now prevents you from seeing certain regions entirely because of the inconsistent layering.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

100% cav if you can afford it. But if the enemy has a longer front line that you, your cavalry will take a lot of damage. Better to fill up the line with a bunch of mercenary infantry to soak damage instead, since you don't have to pay them to reinforce.

Ya I figured this is the best option. I definitely feel it when my front line is outnumbered though.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

For fun I decided to console command England and France into a war- they never really went to war in my game so far and I felt cheated. Two big countries should slug it out, right?

France sinks the whole British navy and lands 30 regiments in Essex within a year.

So I add Spain to the war against France. Britain's been pretty incompetent in my game anyways, guess that's too be expected.

France sends a 50-stack down and begins knocking through central Spain.

I added the Ottomans in next and they sent their massive army to go beat up Milan or some minor ally.

New goal for this play-through is to win a war against France before 1826 or whatever. I have no idea how I'm going to get access through all those German minors, but me and someone are making a bad day happen for these jerks.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Trujillo posted:

Am I the only one who gets tripped up by the region mapmode when going for achievements? I thought the blue was all of the western balkans so I didn't care how much AE I was going to get because I'd be done with dracula's revenge then this happened:

All I did was take four Croatian provinces. If you take land from someone you didn't check off on the war dec is your AE doubled?

I am not sure what the exact modifier is, but yes there is a negative modifier for taking land from countries that weren't cobelligerent. This is really funny in the HRE if you want to end an alliance and make an old ally an easy target.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

As England should I even bother enforcing the PU on France or would I be better off splitting them up into multiple vassals?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Traxis posted:

As England should I even bother enforcing the PU on France or would I be better off splitting them up into multiple vassals?

You should make Normandy and Guyenne into marches, kick the poo poo out of burgundy, take all the continental English channel stuff, beat up France for Guyenne's cores, annex Normandy and then colonise, forgetting that France exists as they will never be able to bother you ever again.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Can you play ironman with lucky nations off? I'm not sure if they're on because uh

Scotland managed to nick a province or two from England, and now somehow Northumberland is released as they're vassal. Novgorod beat up Muscovy, possibly due to allying Sweden, Poland and Lithuania. Morocco took Ceuta back in 1468, I assume because Castille got wrecked by Aragon and Portugal got pushed in by France. The Palatinate was emperor long enough to inherit Burgundy, who somehow popped up again a while ago with their Dutch cores intact.

The Mamluks are doing their best Tunis impression, England has gone to war against Nupe in West Africa and been fought to a standstill at least twice, and now I'm pretty sure they've stolen a few formerly English colonies. The entirety of NA has been revealed to Europe because a 2PM native managed to westernize shortly after I made contact with them, which is handy for me I guess. Haasa looks pretty swole behind the fog, but most of that's probably desert. Poland has decided to give Lithuania a hug, Sweden's doing an achievement run and Sibir has actually done things, so good for them. I have no idea if any of this is normal or not since I haven't played in ages, but I don't remember things normally turning out like this.

For some reason I can see one province of the Mongolian Khanate, and have been able to for a while. And that's a big old strip of Byzantium in the middle of the Ottomans, what the gently caress is happening?

It'd be nice if on completing a colony you got a few points of random development based on terrain, sort of like what happens with the 'turn into city' mission but for everything. I have maybe 70 provinces, probably more, and have only just managed to hit the 300 development threshold for ranking up. If I hadn't taken Cuba and a few surrounding islands I'd be waiting even longer. I can't imagine how badly it sucks for natives.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Western nations with a capital in North and South America should get bonus events that give them free development because of immigrants or something.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Gitro posted:

It'd be nice if on completing a colony you got a few points of random development based on terrain, sort of like what happens with the 'turn into city' mission but for everything. I have maybe 70 provinces, probably more, and have only just managed to hit the 300 development threshold for ranking up. If I hadn't taken Cuba and a few surrounding islands I'd be waiting even longer. I can't imagine how badly it sucks for natives.

That would be cool. The entirety of the americas outside of the aztec/inca thunderdomes are almost all 1/1/1.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Odobenidae posted:

That would be cool. The entirety of the americas outside of the aztec/inca thunderdomes are almost all 1/1/1.

I'd almost prefer it to be you had to improve your colonial province to X level (somewhere between 5-10) before you could send another colonist out. Anything to slow down the speed of colonial establishment.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'd almost prefer it to be you had to improve your colonial province to X level (somewhere between 5-10) before you could send another colonist out. Anything to slow down the speed of colonial establishment.

:whitewater:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'd be fine with maybe Portugal/Spain getting a bonus to this, and at least tribal nations completely ignoring it...but the amount of the world colonized in like 1600 is pretty insane.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

When titans such as these clash, the world trembles.

I've never actually noticed Tyrone's flag, it's pretty great.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Gitro posted:

I've never actually noticed Tyrone's flag, it's pretty great.

Fisting the fleur

Gitro
May 29, 2013
The only way to deal with France.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

For fun I decided to console command England and France into a war- they never really went to war in my game so far and I felt cheated. Two big countries should slug it out, right?

France sinks the whole British navy and lands 30 regiments in Essex within a year.

So I add Spain to the war against France. Britain's been pretty incompetent in my game anyways, guess that's too be expected.

France sends a 50-stack down and begins knocking through central Spain.

I added the Ottomans in next and they sent their massive army to go beat up Milan or some minor ally.

New goal for this play-through is to win a war against France before 1826 or whatever. I have no idea how I'm going to get access through all those German minors, but me and someone are making a bad day happen for these jerks.

France is actually really easy for a player to beat, the AI is not that smart. They are actually easier to defeat early in the game, pre-1500, than they are later, due to less ideas, but still absolutely possible in the 1800s. Also, yeah, England is typically a massive underperformer in continental affairs in this game. Boat AI is kinda weak. France will usually beat them handily in this simply because England can't get her troops over there due to ineptitude.

I have beaten them as an OPM free city in the late 1600s when they have all their NIs before, so it is doable. France usually doesn't have forts preventing you from just marching to Paris if you approach from the East, so I find that I can just walk some guys over there and go cap it early. The big hurdle with beating them will be morale, because France takes defensive ideas and one of their NIs, Elan, gives an extra 20% morale. Make all of your armies match combat width and send in more and more men to reinforce as battles go on. You will win before long when France runs out of manpower.

The real hardest nation isn't France. It is the Ottomans, imo.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Another Person posted:

France is actually really easy for a player to beat, the AI is not that smart. They are actually easier to defeat early in the game, pre-1500, than they are later, due to less ideas, but still absolutely possible in the 1800s. Also, yeah, England is typically a massive underperformer in continental affairs in this game. Boat AI is kinda weak. France will usually beat them handily in this simply because England can't get her troops over there due to ineptitude.

I have beaten them as an OPM free city in the late 1600s when they have all their NIs before, so it is doable. France usually doesn't have forts preventing you from just marching to Paris if you approach from the East, so I find that I can just walk some guys over there and go cap it early. The big hurdle with beating them will be morale, because France takes defensive ideas and one of their NIs, Elan, gives an extra 20% morale. Make all of your armies match combat width and send in more and more men to reinforce as battles go on. You will win before long when France runs out of manpower.

And I just watched the Ottomans finally meet their peak, crashing into the continual powerhouse that is Lithuania.

Yeah between last night and today I picked up a few more military ideas that make me pretty confident I could take them. I was more worried they could grind me down with their dozens of forts, but with offensive ideas, supply line policies, and (potentially) the modern siege weapon policy I think I can cut through their forts pretty quick. And I've continued to help beef up The Hansa, who seem to be the only good AI ally I have. They are Swede-killing pros.

Still I'm a little worried that unless I can get the Netherlands to form (or let The Hansa take all those lands too) I'm going to be at risk of having my routes cut up by lack of military access through 5 different HRE minors.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Another Person posted:

That, and England's positions means they almost have to avoid ever losing a major battle. If France loses, she can retreat to safety, if England loses, they need to have boats ready immediately to evac off continent for a bit if France has a free army floating about; if AI England's troops retreat two provinces over and get immediately stack wiped by a free French army, they're never coming back from that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PittTheElder posted:

That, and England's positions means they almost have to avoid ever losing a major battle. If France loses, she can retreat to safety, if England loses, they need to have boats ready immediately to evac off continent for a bit if France has a free army floating about; if AI England's troops retreat two provinces over and get immediately stack wiped by a free French army, they're never coming back from that.

Conveniently, this becomes a non-problem if they think to take out Brittany! The Nantes and Normandy forts interdict movement to the tip of the peninsula.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
I still have uncontrollable amounts of hatred towards France from EU2 and 3 so I have always made it my mission to ensure they are at best a minor power in Europe any chance I get

but yeah they're totally fine in this

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Another Person posted:

Yeah, though it's pretty common for either of them to get wrecked early on right now. If the Ottomans have a decent early game I'd agree they're a lot more terrifying than France, in large part because they'll have a fuckoff huge galley fleet which combined with their strong armies makes them a tough nut to crack. You can smack down France without naval supremacy, but you really need to kill the Ottoman fleet to do serious damage to them.

Castile, Muscovy, France, Austria, and Ottomans all seem a fair bit weaker this patch, with decent chances for all of them to get blown up early game. England and Poland/Lithuania are pretty reliably strong.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Ottos are definitely the most consistently strong nation in the dozen or so CS games that I've played. They just have a super easy starting location and almost never have problems expanding into Egypt and swallowing up the smaller nations surrounding Hungary. It's usually not until they start fighting Europe that they finally get reigned in a bit.

France is always strong in my games but eventually pisses too many people off and gets surrounded, while England almost always forms GB but then proceeds to just sit on their land, twiddling their thumbs.

Poor Muscovy still somehow manages to get run completely over around 1550-1600s. I don't know what it is about the AI that makes Muscovy so suicidal. Maybe it just can't handle the Sunni lands that it takes from Kazan/GoldHorde.

Poland-lithuania is always real strong but falls off once their PU is up and they become just allies. I think I've only ever seen the Commonwealth formed like twice, which seems weird given how few problems they seem to have actually consolidating all the TO/LO land that they need.

Overall I really like the balance the game has settled into, at least from the game I've played. There's enough consistency that every game doesn't feel like an alt-history mod, but enough variation that few games feel like you're just going through the paces on auto-pilot. Muscovy is probably the most predictable start, but that might just be because I've played it so many times.

VDay fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 15, 2015

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

wtf...

Bohemia Habsburgs got the personal union with Hungary and not me, the real Habsburgs.

Hell me and Hungary just beat them up to release Silesia.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 15, 2015

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Another Person posted:

The Ottomans are tough in the beginning of the game but I usually have no problem rolling them hard after 1650~. Competent France is more scary in late game.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

In my Teutonic Russia game (the only one I've played since Common Sense), France completely imploded and got partitioned by England, Savoy, Brittany, and Burgundy; it's only starting to make a comeback around 1600 because Austria's beating up Savoy and Burgundy fell apart.

Muscovy/Russia did a pretty good job of taking off; I think they're starting to fall apart now but they're going to live on as a Siberian paper tiger because me and Sweden/Scandinavia didn't carve them up in time. The Ottomans also had one of the stronger games I've seen them have.

It's actually been a pretty decent game, balance-wise. Poland-Lithuania kept me hemmed in for a long time, then Russia and the Ottomans were pretty menacing for a while. I've only got the Ottomans down by draining their manpower as soon as each truce breaks and Scandinavia is going to be a pretty big threat if their troops are still the monsters I remember them being in previous patches.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So if I'm a major european power that doesn't have the ability to colonize but want that sweet new world trade power, can I just invade those colonial nations? If I take provinces from them will they turn into a new colonial nation?

Like if spain colonizes the Caribbean, I destroy spain, caribbean becomes independent, what's the best way to go about things? Just take 5+ provinces which will trigger a new colonial nation that I can then feed the rest of Caribbean to?

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Baronjutter posted:

So if I'm a major european power that doesn't have the ability to colonize but want that sweet new world trade power, can I just invade those colonial nations? If I take provinces from them will they turn into a new colonial nation?

Like if spain colonizes the Caribbean, I destroy spain, caribbean becomes independent, what's the best way to go about things? Just take 5+ provinces which will trigger a new colonial nation that I can then feed the rest of Caribbean to?

This is what happens but you have to core those provinces first.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Tabarestan This is Persia progress update: formed Persia and got the Shahanshah achievement while taking like 90% of the Timurids and QaraQ's lands :toot:

Turns out if you create Persia as a vassal while you're Tabarestan and the Timurids have Persian Separatists going, they'll totally flip provinces for you and automatically give them to your Persian vassal. This actually ended up being a double-edged sword because at one point I had like 3 provinces myself and my Persian vassal suddenly got like 8. Luckily because they were spread out (they were random Timurid provinces that would flip) I was never really in danger of Persia declaring independence, and had time to declare a couple of wars and build up my own strength a bit to get their liberty desire under 50% for the annexation. Diplo-annexing was pretty hilarious because about halfway through the Timurids completely imploded, so literally every 6 months or so another province would flip and get automatically added to Persia in the middle of the annexation. It ended up taking 25 years longer then the initial estimate because like a dozen provinces switched. On the bright side, I had literally all of the Timurids' Persian provinces by the time the annexation finally finished, so I could focus on QaraQ and actually form Persia myself as soon as I grabbed the last provinces I needed from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

aeglus posted:

This is what happens but you have to core those provinces first.

What if a now independent CA is small and I vassalize them? Would it switch to them becoming a colonial nation vassal and the mechanics related, or would they function like my european vassals giving me no trade power and costing me a relation slot?

• Locked thread