Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hillary and Jeb running, yeah right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
goddamnit Jon don't loving defend David Irving

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Ebert :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

My thoughts exactly :(

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's probably one of the lesser Daily Show milestones, but I remembered the writers strike episodes being amazing. Stewart was so strong even when he was cut off from his writing staff.

Can't wait for that television earthquake to happen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I started reading The Clothes Have no Emperor to day, and it's amazing the paralels you can make between Bush Jr and Reagan. They were both so amazingly stupid and terrible.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

haha this dude is so mad about the sam adams brewery jokes

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

sudo rm -rf posted:

haha this dude is so mad about the sam adams brewery jokes

He's so loving had it with Jon. It's great.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
George Allen is considered a viable 2008 presidential candidate at this point.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I feel bad for this Hackett dude but as it turned out, Sherrod brown was also highly electable

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_elections,_2006

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Ah the author of "Misquoting Jesus", I've had this book halfway done for some time. Not due to it being boring, but honestly I've been more apt to listen to audiobooks lately so I can multi-task.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jon, dammit, that's not how the debt limit works.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
haha he's going to change his tune on that one in a few years

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I miss old John Hodgman. The one who said ridiculous things with the demeanor of a corporate accountant. Silly billionaire Hodgman is fine too I guess.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
How long did Dimitri Martin last? I always found him one of the most aggravating comedians.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dimitri Martin was one of my favorites. I wish he still had a show.

Hiigaran0
Sep 8, 2011
TRUMMMMMP

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
"I think we are going to leave Iraq pretty soon." - A guy in 2006.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ah god, I forgot about this. Jon and Stephen breaking always gets me.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Dimitri Martin was one of my favorites. I wish he still had a show.

He did, though.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
I see we've reached the point in the show's history when every correspondent got lengthy, Kramer-like applause from the crowd

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Was this Jason Jones' first international segment? Did he do any others besides the one from Iran?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Sharon Stone is high as gently caress.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

MizPiz posted:

Was this Jason Jones' first international segment? Did he do any others besides the one from Iran?
He went to Russia and met Gorbachev.

And India and a Modi impersonator.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Ted Kennedy and Jon. Has the Kennedy accent on the tinges of some words. What 2.5 years can do :(

We are all going to die.

Witty Banter
Apr 1, 2009
I think we're starting to hit TDS transitioning from a comedy show "policing" politicians to "policing" the media.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Man, gently caress Rumsfeld and all the journalists who defended his despicable rear end

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

bush-era US dude :qq:-ing about people going against the un mandate :ironicat:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Haha, I remember this report about the Kiss cover bands clearly.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
These Stewart/Colbert handoffs were hilarious. It's too bad they stopped doing them.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

So was this the beginning of Westboro Baptist Church protesting soldiers' funerals?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The interview has barely started and I already want to punch this guy.

Edit: Pro-life people are all assholes.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 15, 2015

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Caroline Kennedy if you were just half-way competent you could have held onto your seat. Jesus, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

Witty Banter posted:

I think we're starting to hit TDS transitioning from a comedy show "policing" politicians to "policing" the media.

I was surprised to see that TDS was doing that around the start of the Month of Zen. 2000-2001 era TDS was hitting CNN more than the others, but Fox was only just starting to ramp up and MSNBC was nothing.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

So was this the beginning of Westboro Baptist Church protesting soldiers' funerals?

Definitely not. I joined the SA forums in 2003 but lurked since 2000-2001 and Phelps and Phriends were definitely a hot topic on the forums back then.

quote:

Phelps supported Al Gore in the 1988 Democratic Party presidential primary election.[83] In his 1984 Senate race, Gore had opposed a "gay bill of rights" and stated that homosexuality was not something that "society should affirm", a position he had changed by 2000 when he had the support of homosexual advocacy groups for his presidential campaign. Phelps has stated that he supported Gore because of these earlier comments.[84]

quote:

The church has been involved in actions against gay people since at least 1991, when it sought a crackdown on homosexual activity at Gage Park six blocks northwest of the church.[45] In 2001, Phelps estimated that the WBC had held 40 pickets a week for the previous 10 years.[46]

quote:

Phelps ran in various Kansas Democratic Party primaries five times, but never won. These included races for governor in 1990, 1994, and 1998, receiving about 15 percent of the vote in 1998.[79] In the 1992 Democratic Party primary for U.S. Senate, Phelps received 31 percent of the vote.[80]

They had been protesting at funerals before, but by 2006 public opinion was shifting on Iraq and it was just too easy to get people united behind "say what you will about these wars, but at least our dead troops should have peaceful funerals." That, plus a subtle shifting of gay rights/acceptance (this is several years after gay translators were booted from the military, a definite about face for a LOT of people on all sides), along with Phelps losing whatever possible conservative allies he had left after protesting stuff like the murdered Amish girls at that school shooting, Jerry Falwell, the people who died when the bridge collapsed in MN, Ronald Reagan, Mr. Rogers, etc etc.

He was a Democrat who supported Al Gore, which means he was working within a system that accepted him. That changed, and all of a sudden in 2006 he's a national story. Folks didn't realize he had been there for years though.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Wow,, the president of the United States was calling for a Constitutional amendment banning gay marriage in 2006.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

Kro-Bar posted:

Wow,, the president of the United States was calling for a Constitutional amendment banning gay marriage in 2006.

Yeah, it's weird, but holy poo poo this interview with Jon, this is huge. Public opinion was not on Jon's side in 2006 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_opinion_of_same-sex_marriage_in_the_United_States#Older_polls_.282009_and_earlier.29 - but he was totally right and this rear end in a top hat was totally wrong.

Witty Banter
Apr 1, 2009
I don't think you should paint it that way, because it makes me look like a huge rear end in a top hat.

EDIT: Seriously, did he just say "What about those parents, who's children are gay, who think they shouldn't get married?"

Witty Banter fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 15, 2015

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

Ken Mehlman seems like an alright guy. He had a poo poo job but he wasn't totally on board with his party. He came out as gay in 2010 and aggressively campaigned against don't ask don't tell and other such policies, even filing an amicus curiae brief to the Supreme Court to help take down Prop 8.

This is the world he lived in during the time of that episode:

quote:

On November 8, 2006, comedian Bill Maher made an appearance on Larry King Live, during which he referred to Mehlman as a closeted gay man. The incident became controversial because CNN edited out Maher’s comments in later taped editions and removed the reference to Mehlman's sexual orientation from the transcript of the show. The day after Maher's comments, Mehlman announced he would step down as chairman of the RNC (although reports said that his resignation had been expected for some time).[25]

e; holy poo poo Louie CK in 2006. I'm pretty sure that's his first appearance on the show.

Syjefroi fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 15, 2015

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Paul Ryan sighting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
After the shoe bomber, a prescient underwear bomber joke!

EDIT: That moment of zen. Gohmert sounded mad!

• Locked thread