Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hbomberguy posted:

Terminator 3 was almost a really good comedy.

Terminator 3, people 0

For the third movie in any series they just need to turn it over to comedy writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I also wonder how many people got to the end of that movie unspoiled and wondered "hey so both terminators are dead, is there actually enough runtime left for John and Kate to blow up Skynet?"

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The End posted:

God I hope not. That poo poo looked really unconvincing, especially when CGI Arnie starts grimacing when confronted by Pops.

It's getting better all the time though, see also Furious 7.

We've come a long way from this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYHaarxQTFk&t=28s

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ruby idiot railed posted:

Oh yeah, it killed John's foster dad out of not much more than plain annoyance. Finger wag towards the end in the steel plant. Exasperation as it tortures Sarah Connor.

Deleted scene: it tries to figure out why "John" hung up as soon as he said "Wolfie", goes outside, stabs the dog, takes the collar, reads it and throws it away in a kind of disgust.

Plenty of little things it does with or without a human audience point to it having a certain level of emotional affect.

Yeah I guess you're right. Although I always took it killing the foster dad as a 'this dude just outlived his usefulness and is now about to gently caress up my plan' moment rather than anything else. As it turns out it was right, since it was his yelling at the dog that made John twig something was wrong. Finger wag is pretty clear cut satisfaction though.

I also especially like the line 'I know this hurts' as it tortures Sarah. Something about the way it's delivered says that it understands more about humans than the original terminators ever did, but it's still totally emotionally detached.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Maybe it wags the finger because SkyNet has calculated that taunting a cornered human has a 14.05% chance of increasing recklessness and reducing clear thinking.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Electromax posted:

Maybe it wags the finger because SkyNet has calculated that taunting a cornered human has a 14.05% chance of increasing recklessness and reducing clear thinking.

Nah, he's just a prick.

It's why he kills the dog.

He didn't have to kill the dog, why would he? It can't hurt him.

He did it because he's a prick.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Burkion posted:

Nah, he's just a prick.

It's why he kills the dog.

He didn't have to kill the dog, why would he? It can't hurt him.

He did it because he's a prick.

He wanted to look at its collar and getting it off the stabby way was quicker. Plus it was drawing attention to him as he exited a murder scene.

For bonus speculation, it also meant he could impersonate John's dog if the need ever arose. Because gently caress it, it might come in handy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm watching the original film right now and Michael Biehn is pretty handsome in a 1984 kind of way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hbomberguy posted:

How is it a misinterpretation?

The video is clearly about the fact that the time travel and "lore" of the series just used to be creative backdrops for relatively simple and straightforward action films, and now they've become The Thing That Matters when making Terminator movies and it's gotten a bit convoluted and overshadows the things like characterization and film-making.

Or was the part where the first two movies are called "pointless" and explode too subtle?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Lurdiak posted:

The video is clearly about the fact that the time travel and "lore" of the series just used to be creative backdrops for relatively simple and straightforward action films, and now they've become The Thing That Matters when making Terminator movies and it's gotten a bit convoluted and overshadows the things like characterization and film-making.

Or was the part where the first two movies are called "pointless" and explode too subtle?
I read the idiot scientist dismissing the films as pointless as a criticism of the worldview of the scientist character - and the ideas he represents. Characterization and filmmaking did not spontaneously stop happening in this new film, people just got distracted by trying to 'figure out the timeline'. These ideas are inherent to the piece whether the creators intended them to be or not, just in your version, they fully identify with the idiot who does not understand how to read films. Which is way more unfortunate.

Here's my One Weird Trick when it comes to new movies in old franchises: read them as if they were a standalone film with a backstory that happens to be a lot like a pre-existing franchise. That tends to better expose the themes and characters. You have to let yourself get away from the idea that they're ruining a different films' story. Like how every highlander movie is a sequel to highlander 1 and yet none of them seem to treat each other as canon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can't do that if they keep reminding me that the other one exists like all the time.

Actually, no, I refuse too, because the movie doesn't respect me enough to warrant me respecting it. It thinks of me as a dumb idiot who wants to see Arnold say "DAUGH ALL BEH BAAAUHK" and see T-1000's and poo poo. NO! I don't want too. I want to see new stuff! But, like....good though. With heart, and character. And something under the surface. Terminator Salvation was on the right track, but missed the rail because it lacked soul. The characters existed but they didn't mean anything to me. I didn't feel attached to them. And even that movie went over board with the homages. Here's John doing his credit card hacking thing, here's Guns n' Roses! Remember when the Terminator's foot hit the grated staircase? That poo poo should stop. And it's ruining movies for me, because it used to totally work on me and blind me from everything else.

And honestly, going back to Geynsisisis, this movie erasing T2 was like a nothing thing to me, because it never felt like a real movie. It felt like a bad fan film that some how snagged Arnie.

It's just a drat shame this movie hinders so much on the other films to a point where it's almost impossible to look at it as it's own thing.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

I can't do that if they keep reminding me that the other one exists like all the time.

Actually, no, I refuse too, because the movie doesn't respect me enough to warrant me respecting it. It thinks of me as a dumb idiot who wants to see Arnold say "DAUGH ALL BEH BAAAUHK" and see T-1000's and poo poo. NO! I don't want too. I want to see new stuff! But, like....good though. With heart, and character. And something under the surface. Terminator Salvation was on the right track, but missed the rail because it lacked soul. The characters existed but they didn't mean anything to me. I didn't feel attached to them. And even that movie went over board with the homages. Here's John doing his credit card hacking thing, here's Guns n' Roses! Remember when the Terminator's foot hit the grated staircase? That poo poo should stop. And it's ruining movies for me, because it used to totally work on me and blind me from everything else.

And honestly, going back to Geynsisisis, this movie erasing T2 was like a nothing thing to me, because it never felt like a real movie. It felt like a bad fan film that some how snagged Arnie.

It's just a drat shame this movie hinders so much on the other films to a point where it's almost impossible to look at it as it's own thing.

All the words in your post have been used before. Even "baaauhk".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

It thinks of me as a dumb idiot who wants to see Arnold say "DAUGH ALL BEH BAAAUHK" and see T-1000's and poo poo. NO! I don't want too.

I do. Now that they have the technology Terminator: Exodys should be about a legion of Arnolds. Maybe they can go fight the army of Tom Cruises from Oblivion.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

All the words in your post have been used before. Even "baaauhk".

All your words have been used before.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hbomberguy posted:

Here's my One Weird Trick when it comes to new movies in old franchises: read them as if they were a standalone film with a backstory that happens to be a lot like a pre-existing franchise.

Oh, then it sucks and is a huge ripoff of Terminator 2.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

In what ways?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hbomberguy posted:

In what ways?

Well both T2 and Genisys have Austrian bodybuilder robots sent back in time to protect someone and they fight a liquid metal robot.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

And in both Ghostbusters and Evil Dead, they fight dead people and make jokes. Hope somebody got sued.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One really clever understated thing that no one's really mentioned, is just why the timeline got so badly hosed.

Like hosed to the point where Skynet HAD to step in and sent an agent to ensure it's creation the way it did.

Terminator 1 was a closed loop, but Terminator 2 showed just why it was, with the fact that the original T-800 was the father of Skynet. Cyberdime used it to create the AI.

In Terminator 2 they delayed Skynet by destroying the research and the chip...but only for so long. Cyberdime likely had the information backed up more so, and were able to eventually fix it and get Skynet working by the time of T-3.

However, in this movie, the T-800 is removed from the equation, chip utterly destroyed, before cyberdime EVER gets ahold of it. So work on Skynet never even begins until John Connor comes back to kickstart it's birth in the late 2010s.

I thought that was a neat way to use that plot point from the franchise to explain why things got delayed as far as 2017. Especially since it's something you'd have to think about logically given the universe and timeline.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Along those lines, there is some part of me that wonders if the timeline of Genisys is maybe some very early iteration of the start of the time loops.

A fan theory to be certain, but it seems like Genisys 2029 was maybe relatively low-tech in terms of the timelines. John and Kyle of Genisys 2029 seem personality-wise somewhat less affected by the war than their other depictions. Genisys Kyle doesn't seem so dangerous and emotionally scarred, he and John seem physically healthier, they come off as more hopeful and happy. From the tech side of things, almost everything Terminator is tied directly to Skynet, humans reprogramming metal for their own use seems like it's a lesser or unknown tactic, etc.

Maybe this is a pre-T1 timeline? Skynet is less advanced, there's been less influence of future timelines in the past to make both sides more prepared, the war has been maybe less horrific, etc.

If there has been so many changes to the existing timeline POST the events of T1 in each of the various films, it seems as likely that this lends some weight to the 'original' timeline of T1 maybe itself came out of a significantly different iteration of an alternate timeline.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
After thinking about it, here is my best guess at a series timeline.

When I list Judgement Day delayed in SCC and T3 that means delayed by T2 events. The timeline assumes Terminator 1 can't be a closed loop because of Terminator 2. In original timeline Reese isn't John's dad because nobody was sent back. Every time John Connor looks different it can be explained that his conception occurred at a slightly different time than in other timelines. Genisys could also branch off after Terminator 1 instead of the original timeline.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 14, 2015

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RBA Starblade posted:

I do. Now that they have the technology Terminator: Exodys should be about a legion of Arnolds. Maybe they can go fight the army of Tom Cruises from Oblivion.

Shame on you. It's ExoDOS.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Grendels Dad posted:

I seriously hope they actually call it that.

Would be especially clever since exo can refer to exoskeleton.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Grendels Dad posted:

Good lord, that almost has to be the sequel's title now, doesn't it?

I'd imagine it'll revolve around Kyle and Sarah trying to convince SkyNet to delete it's system32 file.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

Hey if you're going to go that obvious why not 'exe.DOS'.

Oh god skynet turned technology on its head, flee!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

terminator.com :suicide:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SwissCM posted:

terminator.com :suicide:

Please, it would have to be some trepbro cutesy thing now.

Termina.tr

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Spacebump posted:

After thinking about it, here is my best guess at a series timeline.

When I list Judgement Day delayed in SCC and T3 that means delayed by T2 events. The timeline assumes Terminator 1 can't be a closed loop because of Terminator 2. In original timeline Reese isn't John's dad because nobody was sent back. Every time John Connor looks different it can be explained that his conception occurred at a slightly different time than in other timelines. Genisys could also branch off after Terminator 1 instead of the original timeline.

The way it works is that everything that happens has to happen. Because a guy named Reese appears in 1984, a guy named Reese must eventually enter a time machine. This means that someone must eventually build a time machine, and so-on. However, this fate is modifiable. You can 'make your own fate', within these constraints - so there actually isn't any discrepancy between T1 and T2.

Even T2's crappy alternate ending has some tricky subtext, in this regard:

"The dark future which never came still exists for me. And it always will, like the traces of a dream. John fights the war differently than it was foretold. Here, on the battlefield of the Senate, his weapons were common sense and hope."

This is where the parallels between Matrix and Terminator are most obvious. Isn't this speech about Sarah 'taking the blue pill', reentering the VR and all that? The way to read this ending is to understand Sarah is wrong; this is exactly what was foretold. She just doesn't realize that John's gone bad.

Genysis actually uses this exact same concept: John now wears a nice suit and 'fights the war differently'. The future-war prologue is a now just a dream sequence that only exists for Kyle...

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 14, 2015

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

A fan theory to be certain, but it seems like Genisys 2029 was maybe relatively low-tech in terms of the timelines. John and Kyle of Genisys 2029 seem personality-wise somewhat less affected by the war than their other depictions. Genisys Kyle doesn't seem so dangerous and emotionally scarred, he and John seem physically healthier, they come off as more hopeful and happy. From the tech side of things, almost everything Terminator is tied directly to Skynet, humans reprogramming metal for their own use seems like it's a lesser or unknown tactic, etc.

My guess is that Genisys is actually a later iteration in which Skynet has purposefully set up the resistance to seem to win and then do the post-win time travel stuff it's supposed to do – that, as SMG points out, has to happen – as easily as possible so that it can then infect John Connor and actually win. That's why it produces the timeline from T1, but this time with John knowing the future: a guy who spent a decade leading a war based on essentially precognition isn't going to be ready to defend against an attack wildly outside the bounds of what he knows is coming. It's the Disneyland on-rails version of the resistance to get Connor past the point where his destiny to send Kyle Reese back has been fulfilled: that's why the resistance is well fed, well muscled, and generally pretty content, in contrast with what we saw from Kyle in T1.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
My wife and I saw this in 3D last night. Neither of us knew anything about the movie and we went in with low expectations. We ended up liking it a lot and we agreed that it was the best one since the first 2.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
This reminded me a lot of T3 in that it was a movie that had good bits and pieces in isolation that didn't really add up to an entire good movie, but it didn't really make me NERD ANGRY at it for RUINING EVERYTHING either.

T3 might have a slight edge for me due to the :fry: ending.

Hbomberguy posted:

Terminator 3 was almost a really good comedy.

Terminator 3, people 0

Also this.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

dude you could have just typed "I have poo poo-taste" to save time.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The part where Sarah sees that Pops kept her boombox and photos all those years had more heart than the last 2 movies combined. And I like T3 for what it is.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Electromax posted:

The part where Sarah sees that Pops kept her boombox and photos all those years had more heart than the last 2 movies combined. And I like T3 for what it is.

Not just the photos either- the drawings she made as a child.

It was such an understated, wonderful moment that really sold the fact that he is her dad.

Arnie in T-2 took steps towards being a father figure to John

Arnie here WAS Sarah's father.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Burkion posted:

Not just the photos either- the drawings she made as a child.

It was such an understated, wonderful moment that really sold the fact that he is her dad.

Arnie in T-2 took steps towards being a father figure to John

Arnie here WAS Sarah's father.

The part early on where he was doing the stereotypical "you're not good enough for my daughter" bit to Kyle was a good joke, but that 2nd part hit it in the feels pretty hard.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I went in expecting Terminator 5 to be terrible and was pleasantly surprised. So that says something for the power of pessimism, probably.

I'm starting to almost feel sorry for the overlooked T-X, considering we see lots of the other types. Even Skynet can occasionally create a boondoggle weapon that looks good on paper and sucks in reality I guess.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I think some people here might appreciate the article about the history of Terminator comics that a goon wrote up recently. There's a lot of goofy poo poo in Terminator comics, but there's also some interesting and clever ideas. I'd say the success rate is about on-par with the movie series itself, maybe a little higher.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
I don't see any release dates set in China for Terminator Genisys. :confused:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Can we talk about the Sarah Connor Chronicles in this thread? I've been marathoning it for the last few days and just got to the first episode of season 2. I did not expect for the red-haired lady in the episode to turn out to be a T-1000 who disguised itself as a urinal. Her plan was wait for a specific employee to have to go to the restroom, talk poo poo right before he was about to pee, and then change from urinal back into the red haired lady, and kill him. The show is still easily better than Terminator: Salvation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The red haired lady is Shirley Manson, lead singer of Garbage.

• Locked thread