Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

I may be super dumb for not seeing this, but how do nomads build trading posts on the silk road(if they do at all)? Nomads don't gain technology points and thus can't increase their trading post limit.

Also, the one rival clan in my Khaganate are greedy assholes, I hold 5 counties and they hold 8, but they still demand more.

It's the same as building a trade post as a Merchant Republic, but it must on a Silk Road province. You can see those on the trade post map mode.

Also, split the clans, it doesn't appear to matter how much each individual clan has, just as long as you don't have a certain percentage of ALL the clans' territory. i.e. Have a bunch of little clans rather than one big rival clan.

edit: Nomads get tech points from special buildings, and they can still get tech points from Study Technology (a Spymaster mission)

Mr.Morgenstern fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Who could forget the Ethiopian ruled Arabic Kingdom of k_dyn_179098756?

Oh, and they are also Germanic pagans

:what:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

I may be super dumb for not seeing this, but how do nomads build trading posts on the silk road(if they do at all)? Nomads don't gain technology points and thus can't increase their trading post limit.

Also, the one rival clan in my Khaganate are greedy assholes, I hold 5 counties and they hold 8, but they still demand more.

Nomads don't gain tech points in the same way that other people gain tech points but there's a building you can build in your capitol that gives you some and you can get some by destroying holdings I think.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
You also gain tech points by making feudals your tributary states.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

That reminds me. I decided to invade Khiva and turn all the holdings into nomad provinces. This involves a lot of pillaging.

I came out one of the most advanced countries in the game and wealthy beyond imagining. My population cap doubled, and I became the most powerful of all the nomadic realms.

That said: Do not do this. I went through 30 rebellions in 5 years and I used the console a lot.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Goast posted:

Who could forget the Ethiopian ruled Arabic Kingdom of k_dyn_179098756?

Oh, and they are also Germanic pagans

:what:

Ah, so he can gain the title "Sword of "GOD_THE_ODIN""! :v:

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So can someone give me a rundown of how to play nomads? I start as Khazaria, and have no money and get hit with a revolt in the first month, then the Pechengs invade Alania, then Georgia invades. So I start as Cumania, in the first month Syr Darya invades, then Bolghar invades. How do I survive? I only have like 1500 men max and no gold.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TaurusTorus posted:

So can someone give me a rundown of how to play nomads? I start as Khazaria, and have no money and get hit with a revolt in the first month, then the Pechengs invade Alania, then Georgia invades. So I start as Cumania, in the first month Syr Darya invades, then Bolghar invades. How do I survive? I only have like 1500 men max and no gold.

I loaded up Horse Lords for the first time ever as the Karluks and bought as many nomad soldiers as I could, then just started steamrolling everyone near me. Occasionally I'd make a clan. I reformed Tengri by 812 and only had 4 clans, two of which seemed to perpetually hate me and revolt, but thank god they never called eachother into their revolts or I'd be hosed.

BTW, reforming Tengri as nomads sets you to nogovernment, which makes all of your holdings and vassals wrong type and makes your nomad troops into retinues. :nallears: But hey I got to become the religious head, which is cool.

On a side note, from what I can see Tribal land is no longer insanely worthless and not worth conquering, so good job Paradox. I'm a little upset tribal land only got interesting to interact with one major DLC later but hey, better late than never I guess?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It's been a while since I've played this game and I'm having some severe trouble in the Charlemagne start as Charlemagne. Once I inherit East Francia, I'm over the vassal limit. I can up centralization a bit and over time make new duchies, but it takes a while to get to my vassal limit. If I claim Lombardy or Saxony, my vassal limit jumps up high enough that I can't get any troops from my vassals. I can usually secure an alliance with the Byzantines, but they like to summon up 12k dudes and then send over 1.5k via boat and suicide into enemy stacks of 3k. I'm not really sure how to go about this.

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.
My tech tree has completely been filled many thousands of times over, or it is empty by thousands of times, I can't tell. I'm making like a million gold a month and my prestige and score are in the negative hundreds of thousands....

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So you can't split your clan if two of your vassals are having a minor slapfight over a county on the other side of the country? That's really dumb.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Keeper Garrett posted:

My tech tree has completely been filled many thousands of times over, or it is empty by thousands of times, I can't tell. I'm making like a million gold a month and my prestige and score are in the negative hundreds of thousands....

Ironman saves were broken in this patch

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.
Ahh well. I'll just start again. I did get the Celebrity and Saint achievement by just turning on my broken game today, some consolation!

Also this is hilarious.

One performance improvement of patch 2.4 was regarding huge Byzantine empires in late game, which were slowing down the game because each Greek person was evaluating against each other person in the realm "can I castrate?". 70% of the AI demands were about castrating or blinding someone.

Keeper Garrett fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 15, 2015

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

something seems wrong here

Other things that seem wrong: I invited someone to go drinking with me 40 years ago and he declined and has been flagged as immune to all hostile actions ever since, which has become a real pain in the rear end since he's the head of a clan I need to split.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
drat it all! You can't mod republics to have any other gender succession laws besides agnatic, or to have more then that one set of clothing for all of them, still.

Or matrilinial marriages and the same with muslims still. :(

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Uuuh, so is the tech level in your capital holding as a Nomad different than what it is in the county your capital holding is in? My main tech level screen is quite a bit ahead of my county tech level, which is annoying since it means I can't upgrade the trade post there.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Torrannor posted:

I had the same problem, when my younger genius son simply left my court. Since only people in my court can have honorary titles from my realm, he ceased to be despot and his older idiot brother was set to inherit. Is your genius son still in your court/your direct vassal? If you gave him land and he became the vassal of one of your dukes/kings, this would remove the honorary title as well.

Okay yeah he left my court so I guess I'll have to get his older brother killed asap.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

Only played for an hour last night but iirc the 'Yam' building is +1 trade post.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Moridin920 posted:

Only played for an hour last night but iirc the 'Yam' building is +1 trade post.

Yeah and also don't listen to this guy

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

That reminds me. I decided to invade Khiva and turn all the holdings into nomad provinces. This involves a lot of pillaging.

I came out one of the most advanced countries in the game and wealthy beyond imagining. My population cap doubled, and I became the most powerful of all the nomadic realms.

That said: Do not do this. I went through 30 rebellions in 5 years and I used the console a lot.

Those rebellions are paper thin and you can do it one province at a time. Burn Khiva to the loving ground :black101:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can you pillage provinces you own?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Started off an ironman Uhygur game. Expanded rapidly and managed to fight off a Turk invasion, now consolidating my base of power by taking the feudal areas on the Silk Road while taking some steppe land to ensure I don't have to actually give the Silk Road grazing lands to other clans.

The horde is very different. You really do have to be careful with your sledgehammer as it takes a long time to recover. You only ever want to engage with the odds strongly in your favour, and it's probably best to ignore the arctic suomensko all together because their attrition rates are horrific.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Can you pillage provinces you own?

Yes.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Think I might try starting a game tonoght. Is there a fun start for the Turks? I want to form Rum.

e: Can you play as sub-clans?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
One thing to note, it seems like you can form an Indian Ocean merchant republic now, you just have to start as either the Ethiopian tribals or the Arabian ones, just conquer your way to a coast, make the city the capital and form a Republic, finally.

Paradox please add tribals to the Bengal area though, they exist there and we need a way to play Indian tribes. since you can hold vassal tribes and have tribes as sub level holdings it would even work well too.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 15, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
:aaaaa:

I didn't even know if it was possible to kill the son of a bitch.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Is there any way for rulers to switch from feudal to tribal or nomad?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dynamic mercenaries are cool, albeit somewhat screwy it seems. I sent out my son to earn some cred and then died, but he didn't get recalled, and instead kept right at it, until apparently something happened between him and his employer cause he lost a huge amount of prestige, his mercenary title, and started living in exile. Eventually he accepted an invite back to court and I sent him out again, but then it became impossible to recall him manually and he died twenty years later of an infected wound in the rear end end of Ethiopia.

Also clan demands for land from the Khagan need to be tweaked I think, sometimes they are completely unreasonable. I can't tell if it's effected by their clan sentiment or anything.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

I like how I can fight myself to remove myself as Khan, to place myself as the new Khan. I also like that the game tells me that this super useful decision is available right now!

I haven’t actually clicked to do this yet because I’m sure all it does is crash the game.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Despite the crashes and bugs, so far I've been enjoying the play time.

Playing as the Khaganate of Kangai (Mongols) in the 867 start I wanted to make my way south to the Silk Road while using the Kirghiz as a shield. Woe was me when I forgot to pamper my relation with them, and they broke the tributary state to just start annexing me. A normal sedentary people would have oh no. But not us: we just packed our bags and left south west ward toward Kashgar, just by Samarkand.

Yup, I realized actually that if you get conquered, it reduces your pop maximum really quickly and you then get your invasion casus belli unlocked. So it becomes easy to run away from danger by stomping on someone else.

So please have my poo poo land Kirmanz, I'm moving to greener pastures!

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

StarMinstrel posted:

Yup, I realized actually that if you get conquered, it reduces your pop maximum really quickly and you then get your invasion casus belli unlocked. So it becomes easy to run away from danger by stomping on someone else.

So please have my poo poo land Kirmanz, I'm moving to greener pastures!
Which is what happened a lot in history.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

:aaaaa:

I didn't even know if it was possible to kill the son of a bitch.

It probably wasn't before this patch.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Jedit posted:

I did it a few months ago.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jedit posted:

I actually got that on one of my first three or four events when first testing out WoL, so I always thought it was really common.

Edit: Also, for once I'd actually like to get the devilspawn event when I can actually play as the kid in question. Every time I get it he either dies within a couple or months, or it's a girl when I'm playing a nation with Agnatic succession law.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jedit posted:

It was, there's an achievement for it

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Uh, for some reason one of my nomadic vassals is raiding me.

Edit: And now another vassal is raiding him.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Playing in Khotan is like that South Park bit about Mongolians.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So I let a game run on observer today while I was at work. Seems pretty much everything was conquered by the the Saxon empire of Germania and Khazaria (who became reformed Germanic). It's ugly borders all the way down and pretty much no Christianity left, though still a smattering of Islam in the Middle East.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Are vassal clans supposed to sometimes become independent when the clan's ruler dies? I was playing a game as the Uyghur, and when one of my vassal clan leaders died a pop-up told me that his dynastic line was extinct, but his clan's holdings just became independent, with the same dynasty ruling them. I'm hoping this is just a bug, because if the intended behavior is for parts of the Khaganate to just randomly become independent, then playing as a nomad will be annoying as hell.

Also, one of my characters managed to have a bastard child with his own wife. I had the "doubt besets me" event when I found out she was pregnant, then nothing until childbirth, when I simultaneously had the "No way is this my kid" and the "Oops I fathered a bastard legitimize/acknowledge/denounce" events fire.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I took a quick play with nomads. I've got a couple hundred hours in the game and I still feel like I need a new tutorial. :psyduck:

I do really like the little info box that pops up when you start a new game:

"You've chosen to play a Babylonian Norse Matriarchal Nomad Republic!"

Here's what that means...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

So, is this DLC worth paying full whack for, or should I wait for a sale?

• Locked thread