Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Bleach seems like exactly the kind of thing I'd love but I'm so late I don't think I'd ever be able to get through all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Bleach is actually pretty solid right up until they actually enter the Soul Society, after which Tite Kubo spends the next several years circling the drain.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I liked Bleach for about fifty episodes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

WickedHate posted:

Bleach seems like exactly the kind of thing I'd love but I'm so late I don't think I'd ever be able to get through all of it.

It's pretty much just regurgitated Yu Yu Hakusho but more nonsensical.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's pretty much just regurgitated Yu Yu Hakusho but more nonsensical.

There you go, YYH is near enough to perfect, I'll gladly take more of that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

WickedHate posted:

There you go, YYH is near enough to perfect, I'll gladly take more of that.

I'm with you on YYH, but Bleach is just not good. It'll make you want to just go rewatch YYH instead to see a show about ghost punchmans done right.

If you're looking for a shonen, you like YYH, and you haven't watched Hunter x Hunter, do that instead.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

The problem with Bleach is I don't remember enjoying any of it. Like, with DBZ I have fond memories of pretty much everything save mid way through Buu and early Android, Naruto I remember really liking the series before the Chunin Exam, and pretty much all of One Piece was fun except for maybe a little bit of Alabasta because I just got bored of looking at Crocodile's mug. I remember being bored of the first arc of Bleach and just hating Soul Society to the point that I gave up before they even got to the tower.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you want a really, really shameless poor man's YYH clone/knockoff you should watch Flame of Recca.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol gently caress I haven't thought about Flame of Recca for years.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I used VHS fansubs of Flame of Recca as a stand for my TV for a number of years is all I can really say about the quality of that show.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Ive been watching a ton of really really well animated anime films, so far Ive seen:

the berserk movies
the evangelion rebuild movies
most of the ghibli movies
redline
sword of the stranger
ghost in the shell
akira

is there anything else along these lines I might enjoy? Don't really care what its about, as long as it looks nice.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Including Berserk in that list is a really weird choice. If that's your baseline, uh, just pick out any feature-length anime film and you're good to go.

Serious answer: watch Mind Game and Dead Leaves.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Garden of Words is probably the best animated anything that I've ever seen.

If you want some actual good movies though, how about the last three Mamoru Hosoda films? I would not call them breathtakingly animated but they're better than the loving Berserk movies at least.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

anything by mamoru hosoda looks really nice and is good

makoto shinkai films look fantastic but have 0 depth outside of that

madoka rebellion looks fantastic, but its the third part in a trilogy (or a follow up to a series, your choice)

mind game

everything by satoshi kon (rip)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Satoshi Kon's movies all rule, watch em.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I thought the 3rd berserk movie was pretty good :shrug:

anyway thanks all, thats a good amount to add to the list. ill definitely check out the Satoshi Kon movies, paranoia agent was amazing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Berserk movies look pretty good when they don't look like horrid CGI crap.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

muike posted:

im the guy who watched 200 episodes of bleach when he was younger because he didn't understand how anime worked yet

Watched 50 eps cuz i saw there were characters with huge cans. Not worth it

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LORD OF BUTT posted:

If you're looking for a shonen, you like YYH, and you haven't watched Hunter x Hunter, do that instead.

I've wanted to before, but there's one very critical problem I have with that series: I hate the main character's look. His design is a loving disaster. I seriously can't get over it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

WickedHate posted:

I've wanted to before, but there's one very critical problem I have with that series: I hate the main character's look. His design is a loving disaster. I seriously can't get over it.

Mentally replace him with Goku whenever he comes on screen and imagine everyone is just calling him Gon because they have speech impediments that make it difficult for them to say Goku.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Brasseye posted:

I thought the 3rd berserk movie was pretty good :shrug:

anyway thanks all, thats a good amount to add to the list. ill definitely check out the Satoshi Kon movies, paranoia agent was amazing.

Give Wolf Children a watch, it's a Mamoru Hosada film that's very beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SlB-SpDMKI

I watched it with my mother on Mother's Day and she absolutely adored it and related to a lot of it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

WickedHate posted:

What are you talking about, Killua looks fine.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

In all seriousness though if your only hang up is Gon's design, watch it anyway. I began watching it on a lark and ended up burning through the whole thing in like a month.

It's good. Better than Bleach ever was, and certainly a better use of your time with what it's become now.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, I'm not watching Bleach either anyway.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Brasseye posted:

Ive been watching a ton of really really well animated anime films, so far Ive seen:

the berserk movies
the evangelion rebuild movies
most of the ghibli movies
redline
sword of the stranger
ghost in the shell
akira

is there anything else along these lines I might enjoy? Don't really care what its about, as long as it looks nice.

If "most of the ghibli movies" doesn't include The Wind Rises, fix that right away.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So I've been hate watching The Twelve Kingdoms recently. Almost done with it. It's so loving good, I really enjoy the heck out of it, but holy poo poo the establishing arcs of most characters make them the literal worst or whiniest motherfuckers in the world and its painful to watch just how goddamned stupid and asinine and petty and misinformed they can be.

But even that establishes character and growth and backstory and worldbuilding. It's so good, but I fuckin swear to god it pisses me off watching these utter shitscrapes exist. Sometimes they grow into decent human beings and it's wonderful, and sometimes they fall in with other lovely fuckers and they become even more horrible human beings.

There's a depth to the world and the show itself that I find very appealing.
It's fantastic. :allears:

:argh:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

You're going to have so many more of these when you're done watching and you realise just how much poo poo they tantalisingly revealed but never finished up on :argh:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
12K is great and it's a goddamn shame that they never finished the anime.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's a goddamn shame they never finished the books either.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Drifter posted:

So I've been hate watching The Twelve Kingdoms recently. Almost done with it. It's so loving good, I really enjoy the heck out of it, but holy poo poo the establishing arcs of most characters make them the literal worst or whiniest motherfuckers in the world and its painful to watch just how goddamned stupid and asinine and petty and misinformed they can be.

But even that establishes character and growth and backstory and worldbuilding. It's so good, but I fuckin swear to god it pisses me off watching these utter shitscrapes exist. Sometimes they grow into decent human beings and it's wonderful, and sometimes they fall in with other lovely fuckers and they become even more horrible human beings.

There's a depth to the world and the show itself that I find very appealing.
It's fantastic. :allears:

:argh:

Yeah, it's great. Read the books too!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Just finished Legend of the Galactic Heroes and must say "Thanks again, ADTRW"

...this comes years after having watched School Days to figure out what all the nega-hype was about. :v: You bastards. That series inspired me to invent the solo drinking game "Every time the episode sucks, get hammered (name subject to change)"

A game where nobody wins.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

silentsnack posted:

A game where nobody wins.
Nobody but AB InBev and their shareholders.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

What's a very sincere, probably-shonen series with good banter between the main characters and a simple premise?

Basically I want more Ushio and Tora and I've already seen the old OVAs and as much of the new series as has currently aired, what's something similar to that?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Kekkaishi might scratch that itch.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Kekkaishi might scratch that itch.

Thanks, this is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind.

e: I love the dynamic between Tokine and Yoshimori. He freaks out trying to explain that this teacher he saw her talking with might be possessed, imagining all these terrible scenarios where she's crushing on the teacher and disregards his warnings or tells him off, and then when it actually comes up in conversation she's like "no, I know, what are we going to do about it?"

It strikes this perfect balance between being full of cliches and avoiding the ones that are actually bad.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 20, 2015

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

I just finished Yona of the Dawn, and really enjoyed it! I'm already watching Akagami no Shirayuki, but are there any other shows with the same vibe?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What's a very sincere, probably-shonen series with good banter between the main characters and a simple premise?

Basically I want more Ushio and Tora and I've already seen the old OVAs and as much of the new series as has currently aired, what's something similar to that?

Zatch Bell? That's shonen, not sure what you mean by "probably shonen".

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Argona posted:

I just finished Yona of the Dawn, and really enjoyed it! I'm already watching Akagami no Shirayuki, but are there any other shows with the same vibe?

Tweleve Kingdoms, perhaps? Not nearly as shoujo, but it has a similar feel to at least the early parts of Yona.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Thanks, this is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind.

e: I love the dynamic between Tokine and Yoshimori. He freaks out trying to explain that this teacher he saw her talking with might be possessed, imagining all these terrible scenarios where she's crushing on the teacher and disregards his warnings or tells him off, and then when it actually comes up in conversation she's like "no, I know, what are we going to do about it?"

It strikes this perfect balance between being full of cliches and avoiding the ones that are actually bad.

The manga continues well after where the anime leaves off, if that's something you're interested in. The last third or so isn't as good as the earlier stuff, but it was still solid (though I might be a bit biased since I was able to binge read the first three quarters or so of it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Argona posted:

If you're not watching it already, The Heroic Legend of Arslan

• Locked thread