Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
The Godbomb arc is near/at the top of the list of best things Marvel has put out in recent years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Oh, and space sharks.

Motherfucking. Space. Sharks.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Phylodox posted:

What I read of God of Thunder was like if someone took a Heavy Metal cover and just made a whole loving comic out of it.

I forget if it was in this or another thread, but somebody said that the artists for God of Thunder started using a new method, where each scene is first airbrushed onto the side of a van.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Which daredevil series is it where he gets outed as DD? I'm reading the new one, but it starts off with him in San Fran already, and I'd like to go back and catch up a bit.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

HogX posted:

Which daredevil series is it where he gets outed as DD? I'm reading the new one, but it starts off with him in San Fran already, and I'd like to go back and catch up a bit.

Just go back to the beginning of Mark Waid's run, the reveal occurs at the end (#35, 36?). The series was renumbered with #1 immediately afterwards when he moved out to San Fran. Dumb, but there it is.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 14, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

HogX posted:

Bendis run in volume 2 issue 26

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
He's gotten outed twice in recent history. Once in Bendis's run and he actually outs himself in Waid's run.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, strictly speaking Waid's run just has him stop fighting the outing from Bendis' story.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Well, strictly speaking Waid's run just has him stop fighting the outing from Bendis' story.

Which wouldn't matter if everyone still believed he was Daredevil.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
A guy came into class a few days ago with a "I'M NOT DARE DEVIL" hoodie. I kinda want one now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

A guy came into class a few days ago with a "I'M NOT DARE DEVIL" hoodie. I kinda want one now.

Hmmm. That's how you know he was Daredevil.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Huh? It says he's NOT Daredevil right there on his sweatshirt. Are you calling his sweatshirt a liar?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

zoux posted:

If there's any doubt, try flashing your "YOU ARE DAREDEVIL" bra at him.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Phylodox posted:

If there's any doubt, try flashing your "YOU ARE DAREDEVIL" bra at him.

I tried that, he didn't react.

Maybe it's because I'm a hairy, bearded dude and he went actually blind because of it. Hm.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Where should I start with Judge Dredd? As far as I can tell it's a continuous story from the beginning, so should I start there or what?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You can pick the stories up more or less wherever. Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth Saga is considered a classic from what I could tell. I personally liked Judge Dredd: The Dark Judges (if you wanna see where Judge Death comes from).

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Is anyone familiar with all the spin-offs and miniseries from IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Are they worth reading or necessary to the plot of the ongoing series?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cyphoderus posted:

Is anyone familiar with all the spin-offs and miniseries from IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Are they worth reading or necessary to the plot of the ongoing series?

They're definitely worth reading, and are some of the best books they published. I wouldn't say any of them are absolutely necessary, but you might feel like you missed a couple pages if you just read the main series without checking the side books, especially the Secret History of the Foot Clan.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I think the last time I posted here I asked for Winter Soldier stuff, and I only got through Captain America v5. Now I find out accidentally he's taken over for Nick Fury for something completely unrelated and I want to know more. What are the best volumes to buy, having finished v5 and no further? I know he's in Siege, Fear Itself, and Original Sin, and now has his own current series. Is there anything in between that I should get?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Kafka Esq. posted:

I think the last time I posted here I asked for Winter Soldier stuff, and I only got through Captain America v5. Now I find out accidentally he's taken over for Nick Fury for something completely unrelated and I want to know more. What are the best volumes to buy, having finished v5 and no further? I know he's in Siege, Fear Itself, and Original Sin, and now has his own current series. Is there anything in between that I should get?

Original Sin is where all the Nick Fury stuff happens. It's self contained so you really only need the main series if you're just interested in Bucky stuff.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I would also like to know what happens after the arc I read, though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kafka Esq. posted:

I would also like to know what happens after the arc I read, though.

Their is fear itself where he dies and then the first Winter Soldier series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kafka Esq. posted:

Do not get his current series. It is bad.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

They're definitely worth reading, and are some of the best books they published. I wouldn't say any of them are absolutely necessary, but you might feel like you missed a couple pages if you just read the main series without checking the side books, especially the Secret History of the Foot Clan.

Gotcha. Thanks for the heads-up, I was totally going to skip everything but the ongoing series otherwise.

Speaking of IDW, how about their G.I. Joe series? I want to get into a comic of crazy super-spies having over-the-top crazy super-powered fights but I'm afraid of running into US military worship and patriotism. Is that a dumb concern? I've never had any contact with the franchise. Is there an iconic mini-series I could check out to see if it's my thing?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno about the main series, but definitely check out G.I. Joe vs. Transformers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Larry Hama's original GI Joe comics published by Marvel remain far and away the best media that the franchise has ever produced.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Larry Hama is actually writing a continuation of his Marvel run for IDW as well.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

where's a good place to start reading about Black Bolt?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HogX posted:

where's a good place to start reading about Black Bolt?

Whenever he shows up in Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four back in the 60's (wikipedia would help you out there). The Jenkins Inhumans mini, Most stuff illuminati, and to be honest I kinda liked War of Kings. He also shows up eventully in Hickman's Fantastic 4, but you should that from the start.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Don't forget Earth X

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Cyphoderus posted:

Secret History of the Foot Clan are less a miniseries and more just additional issues of the main title. Probably my favourite arc in the entire run. They fit perfectly between issue 20 and 21, you will be lost without it.

Utrom Empire is pretty average. Only good if youre interested in this series General Krang.

Turtles in Time rocks my loving socks off. Great wee side story, pretty skipable but alot of fun. #4 is a particular stand out.

Mutanimals was like Utrom, only good if you like Hobb.

The individual one-shots are hit and miss. The must-reads are Leo, Alopex and Bebop/Rocksteady. The Leo one shot is my favourite single issue in the series.

If you're wanting a reading order, do #1-#20, Secret History, then #21 onwards. Read the one shots later.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Deadpool posted:

Do not get his current series. It is bad.
Just want to re-iterate this. You might think "Well, I love me some Winter Soldier, so even if the book isn't great I'll read it."

Don't. Just, don't read it. It's really, really bad.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Just want to re-iterate this. You might think "Well, I love me some Winter Soldier, so even if the book isn't great I'll read it."

Bucky is one of my favorite male comic book characters ever thanks to Bru + the movies, and I would never in ten thousand years recommend that book to anyone who likes the character or wants to read about him having space adventures.

I was so excited to read about Bucky having stupid space adventures. Even if it was bad. :smith: I will take every possible opportunity to post about what an incoherent mess that book is. It's not even funny-bad, so-bad-it's-good, any of that poo poo. It's just a poorly strung together series of events, in-jokes about harsh noise music thrown in without any reason, and would honestly ... maybe read better if it were an original property? It'd still be bad but there wouldn't be the added crime of being flat-out confusing in how disconnected it is from everything ever that's interesting about the character.

I do really like the solo book that Brubaker and then Latour wrote. That was cool. :shobon:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

I do not know why I keep on reading it. I got suckered in due to liking the character and the writer, but holy poo poo it makes no sense at all. Its the very definition of :catdrugs:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

I do not know why I keep on reading it. I got suckered in due to liking the character and the writer, but holy poo poo it makes no sense at all. Its the very definition of :catdrugs:

At one point I accidentally read 2 issues out of order and I'm not actually sure it made any more sense with them read properly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mr E posted:

Where should I start with Judge Dredd? As far as I can tell it's a continuous story from the beginning, so should I start there or what?

IDW is having a sale in their Dredd books. It's not the old 2000 AD stuff. But, Comics Alliance/Chris Sims has a quick set of recommendations if you just want to pick up a few things for not much money.
http://comicsalliance.com/idw-judge-dredd-sale/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Year One book is pretty good, and if you want what I understand is a Cliff's Notes version of Dredd, the IDW run is pretty solid, and the early issues have some good satirical black humour, like the crook that clones rich people that he's kidnapped, so he can let the families get attached to the clones, and double-blackmail them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

like the crook that clones rich people that he's kidnapped, so he can let the families get attached to the clones, and double-blackmail them.

Okay, that made me laugh.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Granbar posted:

Man Airboy's so good. Anyone know of anything like it?

A bit late, but check out Oh, Killstrike. It's a 4-part mini that just launched its 3rd issue, about a 90's burly ultraviolent edgy comics character come to life, helping a comics fan find his missing dad. The whole thing's a big parody of the comic book industry, it's hilarious, and all issues so far have been excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
What are the best Alien related comics?