Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Codependent Poster posted:

That art is poo poo. Like that first page, they're coming down at an angle toward the Eiffel Tower. Where are they coming from? Also, how are they going to land without dying? They don't have super powers.

Roy wearing a baseball cap needs to go, too.

The character select screen, duh. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also from what I looked up. I don't think Roy or Jason ever really interacted prior to the reboot. So I wonder why they were teamed up in the first place.

Former Teen Titans? OH WAIT the Teen Titans didn't exist in the New 52.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm a little more excited about Sgt Rock, Enemy Ace and the Creature Commandos coming up in Justice League United than Jason Todd's mouth, personally.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I thought they stopped caring about that, in favor of the "relax and smoke a weed, we're just making comics as best we can" model.

e: That's to TwoPair.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
"Today will be the day I convince D_T his opinion about Red Hood is wrong."

Anyway, I only read the first issue of Bat-Mite, which was kind of cute but not very funny, but Bat-Mite reinventing the Inferior Five in the style of the New 52 sounds loving hysterical.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 15, 2015

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Someone over at Panels.net called the new Dr. Fate DC's equivalent of Ms. Marvel.
If this is true, I need to be all over it yesterday.
Anyone feel like corroborating that opinion?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Semper Fudge posted:

Anyway, I only read the first issue of Bat-Mite, which was kind of cute but not very funny, but Bat-Mite reinventing the Inferior Five in the style of the New 52 sounds loving hysterical.

Weird, memories of having a crush on Dumb Bunny as a kid suddenly came up.

"Bat-Mite parodies the New 52" is a surefire way to get me to read something.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Someone over at Panels.net called the new Dr. Fate DC's equivalent of Ms. Marvel.

Superficially it is, with art and the young Egyptian-American protagonist and his family. That's on display in the free Sneak Peek.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/dc-sneak-peek-dr-fate-dc-comics-2015

Ish #1 didn't blow me away, but it was nice. I'm pretty interested in where this week's #2 goes.

e: The cover from the new solicit gives me confidence :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 15, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Space Fish posted:

I said something similar to friends today when solicits rolled out and stand by it. It has the same "mantle normally held by a white character is given to a POC, with a twist" thing going for it. The art style and general feel of the book lends to that comparison too. Though it's important to keep in mind that Khalid is older than Kamala by almost a decade.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Both have decently-likable Muslim* teen/young adult nerds who develop magical powers, but the latest Dr Fate series just started so I don't really know how strong of a comparison you can make this early.

*(I don't know if Khalid is supposed to be Muslim himself, but he is definitely supposed to be Egyptian-American and there is a not-insignificant chance he's Muslim)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

Former Teen Titans? OH WAIT the Teen Titans didn't exist in the New 52.

Was Jason Todd ever a Teen Titan?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Was Jason Todd ever a Teen Titan?

He went on at least one mission with them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He was pissed he was the only dead Titan without a memorial, so yeah, he must have been at some point.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Speaking somewhat of Kamala, how bad should I feel that I enjoy Gotham Academy more than Ms Marvel?

I've just checked out the TPB and I really like how it feels like it's starting in the middle of things, and hurries things along, keeping the explanations to a minimum. I know everyone's comparing it to Harry Potter, but it feels way better than that, with how mercurial everyone's relationships are with each other, for starters. I'm really impressed.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

how bad should I feel that I enjoy Gotham Academy more than Ms Marvel?

:confused: Does GA have a bad reputation?
I think it's one of the best things anyone's putting out, so not at all!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I started thinking about how badly Grant Morrison hosed up Jason Todd. I know I said I used to think of him as one of the best writers ever, but his Batman & Robin was always...rough. Pyg is one of the worst comic book villians ever, but Jason, oh my god, Grant didn't get him at all and completely changed his character from everything he was before that. Everything about that series was such a loving mess, it really kind of makes me mad just how much of a misfire it was on every conceivable level.

All that and how Robin is being handled by the new movies is just like, infuriating to me. Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the only people who'll ever truly understand every Robin and how they work(Damian doesn't work ever, Damian should not exist).

Nothing has gone right for the Batfranchise since with the tiny exception of Affleck being pretty good. It's like whatever metaspell Grant was casting was a curse to keep Batman hosed up and toxic forever. Or maybe that's just the Gentry.

It's way too hot in my room right now which is making all my negativity a billion times worse.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 15, 2015

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

WickedHate posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the only people who'll ever truly understand every Robin and how they work

:ughh:

I thought D_T was the worst thing we had here.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I said sometimes. I know it's irrational. It's just easy to get frustrated and want to go "No, no, no! That's not how it's supposed to be!"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm curious how the hell you're so 'infuriated' about the movie's handling of Robin when literally all we know is that the character exists and was killed by the Joker, which is pretty accurate to his origins. I guess traditionally, Joker doesn't spraypaint taunting messages on Robin's body? Is that what you're upset about?

Comic books are pretty malleable. I think you have to let go of how a character is "supposed" to be and let them change. Sometimes they change into something lovely you don't like, but this being comic books, they'll usually change back.

However I agree that writers should have stuck closer to Jason Todd's traditional characterization as a dead body, rotting in the ground.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yes. Thank you Scott Lobdell for delivering unto us ol' smiley mask Jason from the clutches of the entirely terrible comic, Batman and Robin :pray:

Anyway. Today's comics just dropped and Robin: Best Robin, Damian #2 is in there. I'm pumped :):)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 15, 2015

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Probably Magic posted:

Speaking somewhat of Kamala, how bad should I feel that I enjoy Gotham Academy more than Ms Marvel?

I've just checked out the TPB and I really like how it feels like it's starting in the middle of things, and hurries things along, keeping the explanations to a minimum. I know everyone's comparing it to Harry Potter, but it feels way better than that, with how mercurial everyone's relationships are with each other, for starters. I'm really impressed.

I don't like the pacing on GA at all. It's like you said but way too much, every single time a new issue is out I read it and wonder whether there's an issue I missed somewhere. The storytelling feels so fast that the scenes start becoming disconnected with one another. This is probably a non-issue that'll disappear when the issues are read together, but it's not a comic I'm particularly enjoying reading monthly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

I'm curious how the hell you're so 'infuriated' about the movie's handling of Robin when literally all we know is that the character exists and was killed by the Joker, which is pretty accurate to his origins. I guess traditionally, Joker doesn't spraypaint taunting messages on Robin's body? Is that what you're upset about?

Having it be Dick-the first and only Robin, apparently-as opposed to Jason means that the idea of Robin is flawed and that Bruce got him killed through recklessly bringing a kid with him to fight crime. When it's the second Robin that dies, Robin as a concept isn't disproven, it's just unlucky, and a third Robin forced his way into being partners with Bats and proving again that it could work, but I doubt they'll be doing that here.

Unless the Affleck directed movie is about Bruce meeting Tim. Then I will be loving ecstatic.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yes. Thank you Scott Lobdell for delivering unto us ol' smiley mask Jason from the clutches of the entirely terrible comic, Batman and Robin :pray:

I don't like the mouth on the mask or the majority of stuff Lobdell's done with him, just the last arc or so of Outlaws. But even then, Jason has never, ever been written as badly as in Morrison's Batman and Robin, and I'd take a million mask mouths over the outfit he was wearing then too.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 15, 2015

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

You know I never understood how people can complain with a straight face about how bad and non-creative most superhero comics are when the next second they're talking about "the right way" to write these make-believe characters.

These characters are just a copyright somewhere. There's nothing about them that needs to be respected because they don't exist. Let the poor writers work, their own editorials give them enough trouble already.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cyphoderus posted:

These characters are just a copyright somewhere. There's nothing about them that needs to be respected because they don't exist.

I've never understood that viewpoint. If they didn't really exist, we wouldn't be talking about them. They're definitely real, in other universes, in our minds, it's all the same. You can't say it wouldn't be weird if somone wrote Cap as racist or Iron Man as straight edge, right? That's not who they are.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Having it be Dick-the first and only Robin, apparently-as opposed to Jason means that the idea of Robin is flawed and that Bruce got him killed through recklessly bringing a kid with him to fight crime. When it's the second Robin that dies, Robin as a concept isn't disproven, it's just unlucky, and a third Robin forced his way into being partners with Bats and proving again that it could work, but I doubt they'll be doing that here.

Unless the Affleck directed movie is about Bruce meeting Tim. Then I will be loving ecstatic.

What makes you think this is Dick's costume? As hard as BvS is cribbing from Miller's DKR, I think it's a lot more likely that Jason got killed like usual and Bruce hasn't spoken to Dick in a while because of it.

Unless there's an interview or something that confirms that it's Dick, I haven't seen any such thing but I might be wrong. You're making a lot of assumptions based on literally three seconds of a dead Robin's costume.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is the Joker in the movie?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I've never understood that viewpoint. If they didn't really exist, we wouldn't be talking about them. They're definitely real, in other universes, in our minds, it's all the same. You can't say it wouldn't be weird if somone wrote Cap as racist or Iron Man as straight edge, right? That's not who they are.

I'd find it much weirder if someone went to Frank Miller in the 80's and told him, "you shouldn't write Batman as a sociopath! That's not who he is!"

I believe we, as fans, should give writers the liberty to write whatever they want. They can adhere to what's been stablished about a character in previous publications, or they can break away from it completely. In either case, resulting stories can be good or bad.

A character exists in paper through their previous publication history, and when you read some of it you create for yourself a version of the character in your head. I don't believe a character exists in-between, as a sort of abstract impartial entity. And I think it's unfair to ask writers to protect your own personal version of a character, because that's your job, not theirs.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

Is the Joker in the movie?

Based on the Trailer he sends a message to Batman, I think they might then be setting him up for the following Batman film.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Cyphoderus posted:

I'd find it much weirder if someone went to Frank Miller in the 80's and told him, "you shouldn't write Batman as a sociopath! That's not who he is!"

I believe we, as fans, should give writers the liberty to write whatever they want. They can adhere to what's been stablished about a character in previous publications, or they can break away from it completely. In either case, resulting stories can be good or bad.

A character exists in paper through their previous publication history, and when you read some of it you create for yourself a version of the character in your head. I don't believe a character exists in-between, as a sort of abstract impartial entity. And I think it's unfair to ask writers to protect your own personal version of a character, because that's your job, not theirs.

I remember a convention panel I attended about comics for new readers, and one of the guests was emphasizing how all the comics companies are trying to expand, and among her examples was the coming soft reboot of Batgirl. After she was done, this one lady in the audience vocally opposed everything about the new Batgirl - "They ruined the character, now she's taking selfies and saying 'tee hee, look at my boobs.' DC never should have abandoned Gail Simone's take on Barbara, it was way better."

That still plays out in my head because I'd been reading New 52 Batgirl and didn't understand why this lady would want more of the anguished, traumatized Barbara and not a version that, you know, could get new girls into the series. At a panel all about hooking new readers. Several months before the new comic even existed to be read/judged.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

LordPants posted:

Based on the Trailer he sends a message to Batman, I think they might then be setting him up for the following Batman film.

I would lost my poo poo if the Batfleck movie adapts Under the Red Hood :flashfap:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, before the book was out, all you really had was a couple of pieces of Babs Tarr art, specifically cover art, which does fit the book's new tone, but also without context does have a bit of a shallow party chick vibe. And I really like the current run, but I can also understand enjoying a particular writer or run or take on a character, even if I know it's not popular, and being bummed when it's changed.

I also think it's a little disingenuous to claim that there's no 'core' to some of these characters. I mean, you could do a Wonder Woman arc where she gets amnesia, loses her powers and ends up turning tricks by the port in Baltimore, but I don't think anyone would think it was a particularly good take, I doubt anyone would defend it. There's a clear basic premise and set of traits that make these characters. Yes, they're flexible and you can emphasise or de-emphasise certain traits and fill in certain blanks here and there, but if you need to so radically change a character because you don't want to tell a story with the one you were hired to write about? Write the story you want and do it yourself instead of forcing the square peg to fit the round hole. You'll be happier and the corporate overlords will too.

This is not, by the way, me admonishing stuff like Bat-Gordon. That's a different thing, that's taking a character and placing him in a new context, not fundamentally altering the basic structure of the character.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

WickedHate posted:

I started thinking about how badly Grant Morrison hosed up Jason Todd. I know I said I used to think of him as one of the best writers ever, but his Batman & Robin was always...rough. Pyg is one of the worst comic book villians ever, but Jason, oh my god, Grant didn't get him at all and completely changed his character from everything he was before that. Everything about that series was such a loving mess, it really kind of makes me mad just how much of a misfire it was on every conceivable level.

All that and how Robin is being handled by the new movies is just like, infuriating to me. Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the only people who'll ever truly understand every Robin and how they work(Damian doesn't work ever, Damian should not exist).

Nothing has gone right for the Batfranchise since with the tiny exception of Affleck being pretty good. It's like whatever metaspell Grant was casting was a curse to keep Batman hosed up and toxic forever. Or maybe that's just the Gentry.

It's way too hot in my room right now which is making all my negativity a billion times worse.

Wanna beat this post with a crowbar, blow it up, and put a memorial for it in the Batcave.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I would lost my poo poo if the Batfleck movie adapts Under the Red Hood :flashfap:
(double-checks post for the heck of it, yup, confirms that blocking D_T was definitely a good idea)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I would be literally bored to death just by the announcement.

Anyway, Justice League came out and Batman plopped himself in Metron's Chair, gaining all the knowledge in the universe and tests if it's real with the most hilariously obvious Batman question.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 15, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Of course Batman gets all the knowledge in the universe and there's a giant alien threat looming, but gently caress that he needs to know his parent's murderer and the Joker's name first.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Does he not know who killed his parents in the new 52?

why?

that's such a weird change to make when so little of Batman was altered in the reboot

e: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_The_Dark_Knight_Vol_2_0 gently caress you johns!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
In all fairness, Dark Knight was a terrible comic that deserves to be forgotten.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He knows. The parent question was a test for the chair.

It's great that Johns is teasing the Joker name since Bruce is just going to forget as soon as he stops being Bat-Metron.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Joker is Chinese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Oh, okay, whew.