Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Those are Nazis, correct?

I mean, Trump's platform is racial expulsion, military expansion, and massive, state-run building programs....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Joementum posted:

I mean, Trump's platform is racial expulsion, military expansion, and massive, state-run building programs....

Also fear of foreigners who are external criminals coming to threaten the white race.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
President Trump would make great deals with other leaders and have them all declaring, "Peace in our time".

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Kor posted:

Someone in the thread, during the middle of his speech in Phoenix, compared "When did we beat Japan at anything?" "@BetteMidler is an extremely unattractive woman" Donald "I'm starting to wonder myself whether he was born in this country" Trump's rhetoric as something more akin to late 19th century populism than anything from the past century of the Republican platform.

Now, myself, fully aware that it's a hyperbolic comparison, can't help but see another antiquated ideology in that combover, general buffoonery, nativism, and focus on a cabal of ethnic enemies.

usbombshell posted:

Has this been posted? "Did you notice that baby was crying through half of the speech and I didn’t get angry?" "@BetteMidler is an extremely unattractive woman" Donald "I'm starting to wonder myself whether he was born in this country" Trump tweeted an image with the Waffen-SS in it.
It is now deleted.

Joementum posted:

I mean, Donald Trump's platform is racial expulsion, military expansion, and massive, state-run building programs....

:colbert: Fuckin' called it.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Kor posted:

Yeah, no one else saw that. You are a special snowflake.
Edit, that was 3 days ago, lol.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 15, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Donald Trump knows America no better than the nazis, gets Ted Rall's enthusiastic endorsement.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Kor posted:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:godwinning:

Seriously, though, as was said up-thread, this is classic Nativism/Know-Nothing. It's as American as apple pie!

Hey Kor, what's it like to be a nazi?

Pohl fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jul 15, 2015

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Regardless of anyone's feelings on MAD, a nuclear Iran would lock both the Iranian and US governments in hostile, drumbeat, fearmode for a generation. I'm actually surprised the Iranian government is willing to agree to any of this, the more the US and Isreal bear down on them and the more surrounded by enemies they appear the more support the hardliners and psychopaths in charge of Iran will receive. If Obama can convince them to not only give up nuclear ambitions, but also begin normalizing relations through lifting of sanctions and co-operating over ISIS etc., he doesn't just preserve nuclear nonproliferation, he starts convincing the Iranian people they don't need a pack of religious and ultraconservative nutjobs in charge but can be part of the cool club of relaxed developed democratic nations. For about five minutes until Israel fucks it all up again.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

My biggest worry about a nuclear Iran is that maybe two months after they get a working weapon, Israel would manage to get someone in to detonate it wherever Iran had it hidden, at which point Iran has to deal with the literal and figurative fallout.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

He missed a fine opportunity to go "Rand for life".

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Also, a nuclear Iran leads to a nuclear Saudi Arabia and maybe other states like Turkey or Egypt. The more idiot countries that have bombs, the more likely somebody gets nuked when a flock of geese gets misread on radar. Nuclear non-proliferation is the way to go. We really need to stop pretending and squeeze Israel to give up theirs as well.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Fargo Fukes posted:

Regardless of anyone's feelings on MAD, a nuclear Iran would lock both the Iranian and US governments in hostile, drumbeat, fearmode for a generation. I'm actually surprised the Iranian government is willing to agree to any of this, the more the US and Isreal bear down on them and the more surrounded by enemies they appear the more support the hardliners and psychopaths in charge of Iran will receive. If Obama can convince them to not only give up nuclear ambitions, but also begin normalizing relations through lifting of sanctions and co-operating over ISIS etc., he doesn't just preserve nuclear nonproliferation, he starts convincing the Iranian people they don't need a pack of religious and ultraconservative nutjobs in charge but can be part of the cool club of relaxed developed democratic nations. For about five minutes until Israel fucks it all up again.

You are loving crazy.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

don Jaime posted:

Also, a nuclear Iran leads to a nuclear Saudi Arabia and maybe other states like Turkey or Egypt. The more idiot countries that have bombs, the more likely somebody gets nuked when a flock of geese gets misread on radar. Nuclear non-proliferation is the way to go. We really need to stop pretending and squeeze Israel to give up theirs as well.

Also, ponies unicorns for everyone.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
It's obscene that Israel is a nuclear state, behaves like a nuclear state, insists it isn't a nuclear state, and the US and Europe say, "Eh, guess so, want some more money?"

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

I hosed this post up, thanks!

Pohl fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 15, 2015

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
And I Rand, I Rand so far away...

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I know it was a million pages ago, but I just want to chime in and say that Scott Walker using "Shippin' Up To Boston" may have literally broken irony. It's possibly several magnitudes worse than Reagan/"Born in the USA". We can ignore for a second that Dropkick Murphys has probably 10-15 pro union songs in their recorded out put, including covers of depression era classics like "Which Side Are You On". We can continue by ignoring that the lyrics were penned by noted super left, pro-union hero Woody Guthrie. But I feel like you probably shouldn't use a song by a band that has literally written a protest song about you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_Out_in_Style#Musical_style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKgM68MzXpg

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Nessus posted:

Is this real? This has to be a parody. It isn't a parody, is it.

I can confirm that the best way to interpret Walker's message here is to read it in the voice of a phone sex line for gun enthusiasts. I did, haven't looked back since.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pohl posted:

What? Why 2 months? Why not 1 or 3?
Idiot.

You are the worst poster.
What the hell are you even talking about? I've read your post a dozen times and I still don't understand it.

If Iran get bomb, then Israel would make bomb explode.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Nativity In Black posted:

But I feel like you probably shouldn't use a song by a band that has literally written a protest song about you.

Frankly this just plays into Walker's image of "They seriously loving hate me, isn't that awesome? Vote for me if you love that they hate me!"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

Donald Trump knows America no better than the nazis, gets Ted Rall's enthusiastic endorsement.

It works cause trumps hair can only be portrayed by Ralls unique "style".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Pohl posted:

What? Why 2 months? Why not 1 or 3?
Idiot.

You are the worst poster.
What the hell are you even talking about? I've read your post a dozen times and I still don't understand it.

He's saying Mossad would detonate Iran's own nuke in their backyard. Mossad does have a history of detonating Iran's own nuclear scientists in their own backyard. It's a little Tom Clancy fanfictiony but not difficult to understand.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Iran with the bomb changes the dynamics of our relationship. It's then in the U.S.'s (and really, the world's) best interest to ensure that the current regime remains in power and complete control. Anything less, and you could have unsecure weapons in the hands of an unknown and likely Islamist faction.That's not terribly good for the Iranian people, or for international relations. Worse, it would cause an arms race. Do you think a Nuclear armed Egypt or Yemen would be the most stable places? Already, Pakistan is a nightmare waiting to happen, with the amount of religious extremists within their borders.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

DutchDupe posted:

Wasn't a Pakistani nuclear physicist responsible for all sorts of nuclear proliferation with Iran, Libya, North Korea?

Non-proliferation is a good thing, I don't think there is any reasonable argument saying otherwise. If Iran gets the bomb then Saudi Arabia gets the bomb and you've started a nuclear arms race in the Middle East.

A few pages back but this is who you're looking for: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdul_Qadeer_Khan

The nuclear arms race in the Middle East started when Israel obtained their nuclear weapons.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Those are Nazis, correct?

Technically, they're WWII re-enactors dressed as Nazis.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Pohl posted:

You are loving crazy.

It's called detente. It happens. And a side effect of it happening is the populace of both countries being able to breathe freely for long enough to wonder why everyone in charge is a frothing lunatic.

edit: (this is also why the Republicans, as standard-bearers of the forthing lunatic movement, will never approve any deal with Iran)

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Fargo Fukes posted:

It's called detente. It happens. And a side effect of it happening is the populace of both countries being able to breathe freely for long enough to wonder why everyone in charge is a frothing lunatic.

edit: (this is also why the Republicans, as standard-bearers of the forthing lunatic movement, will never approve any deal with Iran)

Did not work in Pakistan

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Nativity In Black posted:

I know it was a million pages ago, but I just want to chime in and say that Scott Walker using "Shippin' Up To Boston" may have literally broken irony. It's possibly several magnitudes worse than Reagan/"Born in the USA". We can ignore for a second that Dropkick Murphys has probably 10-15 pro union songs in their recorded out put, including covers of depression era classics like "Which Side Are You On". We can continue by ignoring that the lyrics were penned by noted super left, pro-union hero Woody Guthrie. But I feel like you probably shouldn't use a song by a band that has literally written a protest song about you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_Out_in_Style#Musical_style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKgM68MzXpg

Walker knows exactly what he's doing. The Dropkick Murphys have made it clear that they despise Walker and don't want him using their work but he's going to keep playing it until they sue because being a spiteful rear end in a top hat is a huge part of today's GOP platform.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Nate Silver has a good breakdown of the "Bernie's surge = Failary Clinton" nonsense.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-bernie-sanders-surge-is-about-bernie-not-hillary/

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Nate Silver has a good breakdown of the "Bernie's surge = Failary Clinton" nonsense.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-bernie-sanders-surge-is-about-bernie-not-hillary/

For all the reasons he listed for potentially not wanting Clinton as the candidate, not a single one was "Someone so closely related to a former President shouldn't be running for President."

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, I guess the best solution is to not let Iran get the bomb but convince the world that they do have the bomb "Oh poo poo we need this treaty because they have one deliverable nuke and we don't want them getting more!" then we quietly go in and break all their slide rules so they can never make one.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Brannock posted:

For all the reasons he listed for potentially not wanting Clinton as the candidate, not a single one was "Someone so closely related to a former President shouldn't be running for President."

How does that damage his argument?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Junior G-man posted:

Why yes, yes they are :q:

In fairness, it turns out those were reenactors roleplaying as nazis.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Is a political dynasty something you (and not just you, forums poster Brannock) consider bad enough to warrant being prohibited legally, and if so, along what criteria? Say, up to which degree of consanguinity?

This isn't specifically a Hillary/Bush thing, but the issue has come up in my country recently in the form of a proposed bill:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't like the false dichotomy. Just because someone is for Bernie as the candidate doesn't mean they are against Hillary. I'm for Sanders and Clinton as nominee, in that order, and I'll be happy with either one.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

In fairness, it turns out those were reenactors roleplaying as nazis.

I'm honestly not sure if that's better or worse. "They're not actual Nazis, just guys who spend their weekends roleplaying as fascist soldiers!"

Like, I'm not gonna sit here and try to analyze what evil lurks in the hearts of historical reenactors, 'cause I don't know those guys beyond the picture, but it really doesn't make it any better.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

:(

Chafee

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/55a663fde4b0c5f0322bd272?ir=Politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kor posted:

I'm honestly not sure if that's better or worse. "They're not actual Nazis, just guys who spend their weekends roleplaying as fascist soldiers!"

It doesn't matter, the photoshop is bad and hilarious either way but hey at least it only features guys pretending to have committed war crimes.

• Locked thread