Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Basebf555 posted:

Lifeforce is one of the best blind-buy decisions I've ever made. I remember I asked about it in this thread and got a few cryptic "its batshit, just see it ASAP" responses. Then I read the back of the case and saw it was written by Dan O'Bannon, that was the final push I needed.

Its one of those films that shouldn't exist, you watch it and just marvel at the fact that it got made.

There's a triple feature DVD out there with Leviathan and Burnt Offerings and it's way cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Also for Sci-Fi we can't forget Contamination:

Just got my Arrow BluRay version of this one. Really excited.

Note: Contamination is an acquired taste. I'd argue that as with all of Cozzi's films, it has heart in the face of being a cheap knock-off. It revels in its own silliness, just not in the wink-wink way we're used to now.

The soundtrack is my favourite Goblin soundtrack though and recommended to everybody.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

InfiniteZero posted:

The soundtrack is my favourite Goblin soundtrack though and recommended to everybody.

Definitely.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That poster is great. It's got all the distinct elements of the Alien and The Thing posters and still manages to have some character of its own.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Kvlt! posted:

What are your guys' favorite sci fi-horrors? Event Horizon and Pandorum come to mind, trying to find some more.

Do you mean specifically Alien-style spaceman horror or just horror with sci-fi elements in general?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Just finished watching Leviathan the 5 hour talking head documentary about the first 2 Hellraiser movies, it's not as good as the nightmare or Friday documentaries but still quite interesting, annoyingly the film-makers have run the same soundtrack throughout almost the whole runtime which gets quite distracting.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Beyond the Black Rainbow was pretty good sci-fi horror. As is It Follows.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That poster is great. It's got all the distinct elements of the Alien and The Thing posters and still manages to have some character of its own.

Gary Pullin did that poster and all the packaging for the BluRay and to the surprise of no-one who follows his work, it's dope as hell:

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Basebf555 posted:

Lifeforce is one of the best blind-buy decisions I've ever made. I remember I asked about it in this thread and got a few cryptic "its batshit, just see it ASAP" responses. Then I read the back of the case and saw it was written by Dan O'Bannon, that was the final push I needed.

Its one of those films that shouldn't exist, you watch it and just marvel at the fact that it got made.

It is a fever dream that was somehow filmed.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Grendels Dad posted:

How would you know?
Because hate-watching awful horror movies is entertaining, whereas the guns/girls/cars action sub-genre is just agonizingly dull. I've (unfortunately) seen all of Wan's horror movies, but for Inception 3.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

Because hate-watching awful horror movies is entertaining, whereas the guns/girls/cars action sub-genre is just agonizingly dull. I've (unfortunately) seen all of Wan's horror movies, but for Inception 3.

Maybe you actually just like them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Get outta here with that TVIV hate watching crap.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9yf6Btkh90
The 360 degree Crimson Peak trailer is spooky as gently caress.

If you're watching it on a browser that supports 360 video. If not it just looks a bit trippy.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
So which one of you sick fucks is responsible for this poo poo?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
There's a comic version of Contamination, apparently, and it has really weird art that's black and white with almost no shading, like a coloring book.

A coloring book with naked people and gory exploding chests.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Wizchine posted:

It is a fever dream that was somehow filmed.

Hooper got a relatively large budget too. Multiple people thought this was going to connect with the general public.

God bless cocaine and Lifeforce.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm actually kind of unsurprised Lifeforce happened. Sci-fi was big, horror was big, and Lifeforce is a crazy-rear end sci-fi horror movie from a known director with a relatively easy concept to grok (there's naked ladies and they're vampires from space).

It was a risk that didn't one hundred percent pan out, but it strikes me as more of a coin flip than a Hail Mary.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cugel the Clever posted:

It's his series, done in his style, and he was a producer on it, so close enough. :shrug:

Do you also credit George Lucas for Empire Strikes Back?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There are dozens that do this.

Can you name them? I'm a dumb broken found footage watcher and I don't remember seeing this often if ever. Ora re you including the "one person runs screaming off into the trees" endings?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

FreudianSlippers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9yf6Btkh90
The 360 degree Crimson Peak trailer is spooky as gently caress.

If you're watching it on a browser that supports 360 video. If not it just looks a bit trippy.

The movie looks completely generic, but this is cool as hell.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

Galaxy of Terror and the sister film, Forbidden World.

Tell me this isn't one of the best trailers ever:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=UypDHNiKbE4

I also really enjoy Hardware.

Forbidden World is probably my favorite of the Alien rip-offs. Also it has the best goddamn theme music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFYm8rChYao

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So uh, The Gallows isn't anything special exactly but it was a lot better than I expected. The ending is... certainly something.

I will say this: it had some problems with respecting the audience's intelligence. There was one scare, where Cassidy was crying on the stairwell and the hangman ghost just slowly crept up the stairs on the right side of the shot, that was effective as fuuuuck and then they spoiled it by having it just be setup for a dumb jump scare. Also, the epilogue was really bluntly added after they test screened it and test audiences went "WUH BUH ME NO GET IT" at the ending- it's literally just there to make sure you caught the big reveal.

Aside from that, though, I actually really liked it! It's pretty atmospheric and hits on a lot of the same notes as Stagefright/Deliria in that regard, the ghost's gimmick is actually really brutal (and there's some neat space-bending poo poo it does- one of the deaths involves a character falling through the floor and coming through the ceiling of the same room he was in, then abruptly vanishing), the dialogue wasn't painful to listen to and actually sounded pretty natural, and I just generally kinda dug it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm also not really sure why it got an R, exactly. It's not only basically PG-13 content, it's a fairly light PG-13- the only F-bomb is pretty much inaudible, there's no sex or nudity or drug use at all (not even a mention of it), and the violence is one hundred percent bloodless except for a slightly gnarly-looking rope burn at one point.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 15, 2015

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Forbidden World is probably my favorite of the Alien rip-offs. Also it has the best goddamn theme music:

That 2:05

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ramadu posted:

Can you name them? I'm a dumb broken found footage watcher and I don't remember seeing this often if ever. Ora re you including the "one person runs screaming off into the trees" endings?

If you're talking 'films that don't end like Blair Witch', it's actually the vast majority of them.

Even going more specific with your critera: at least two people survive, they complete the film, and they're decently good people (so we exclude the entire 'killer director' subgenre)... that's still a big chunk of those I've seen. Maybe a quarter of them? Enough that it'd be crazy to list them all.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Forbidden World is definitely near the top, along with Crawl Or Die and Alien 2: On Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkT0ClYBE2E

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
List five of them. I'm thinking of a bunch but you have seen way more of these films than anyone else here, I bet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The mix of people who survive to the end in As Above, So Below was pretty cool in that one of them was pretty unexpected.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I'm also not really sure why it got an R, exactly. It's not only basically PG-13 content, it's a fairly light PG-13- the only F-bomb is pretty much inaudible, there's no sex or nudity or drug use at all (not even a mention of it), and the violence is one hundred percent bloodless except for a slightly gnarly-looking rope burn at one point.

This confused me as well. My daughter (who is almost 12) wanted to see it, and I was SO on the fence about it. She's watched some other light/PG-13 found footage/horror stuff and does just fine, but I was so hung up on the rating, assuming there would be some graphic sex or something...(I have no issue with "fake" stuff for her at her age...ghosts/blood/supernatural or whatever, she handles that stuff fine, but I didn't want to expose her to slasher-movie-sex-antics just yet obviously).

Then I read a bunch of early reviews and realized there was none of that. The rating made zero sense and actually probably cut WAY into their market share, since Jr High/HS age kids would be ALL over this movie, and it would be acceptable for all but the more sensitive ones.

At any rate we went on Friday morning and she LOVED it. Also, we were in an EMPTY theater, since it was 11AM and everyone else was seeing Minions, so that even added to it for us.
I thought it was okay. Not the best, but not horrible. Was worth the matinee price if you like that sort of stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

metavisual posted:

At any rate we went on Friday morning and she LOVED it. Also, we were in an EMPTY theater, since it was 11AM and everyone else was seeing Minions, so that even added to it for us.
I thought it was okay. Not the best, but not horrible. Was worth the matinee price if you like that sort of stuff.

I've always wondered this, if middle/high school kids are really into this stuff. It's most likely that they're the intended audience.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I've always wondered this, if middle/high school kids are really into this stuff. It's most likely that they're the intended audience.

My friends and I certainly were when we were that age. For R rated movies, we would get strangers to pose as a parent/older sibling to get us tickets in exchange for us buying theirs

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

XIII posted:

My friends and I certainly were when we were that age. For R rated movies, we would get strangers to pose as a parent/older sibling to get us tickets in exchange for us buying theirs

Yea as soon as I was old enough to go to the movies without my parents I was getting into rated R horror movies and loving it. Of course, it wasn't the best time to be a teenage horror fan, it was the age of Scream sequels and Jennifer Love Hewitt.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
It's always a good time to be a teenage horror fan. I'm about the same age as you, and those movies really propelled my interest in horror, big time.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think they like the jump-scary corny sort of stuff. Because it's not really scary or dreadful, and it doesn't really stay with you.

Her and her friends all seem to be into it. She liked Ouija, I thought it was pretty bad.
It sort of also explains why they all like games like "5 nights at Freddy's" and stuff like that.

When I was in middle/high school a lot of my friends were really into the Nightmare on Elm St. and Friday the 13th movies, granted, they were new...so there's that.

I've always been into horror stuff since I was a little kid, watching things like ReAnimator and From Beyond on Cinemax late at night, so I'm a weird case I guess?

Apparently a lot of her friends were super jealous that she got to see The Gallows, so I guess it's pretty popular. Which further confused me about their R Rating. You'd think they would have tried to cut whatever pushed them into that rating to get it down to a PG13. I'm thinking they would have made MUCH more money that way, but then, I don't know poo poo about movie marketing...

I'm just happy one of my kids is into Horror stuff, since my wife hates it. Now I have someone to watch it with!

metavisual fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 15, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I watched It Follows finally last night and boy was it a movie. Just incredibly tense and unrelenting without relying on cheap tricks like dumb characters or tons of jump scares. As I watched I thought everything looked super familiar and I realized they filmed it where I grew up, which added a personal layer of legitimacy to things. Probably one of my favorite horror films, up there with Lake Mungo from a pure satisfaction standpoint for me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Parachute posted:

It's always a good time to be a teenage horror fan. I'm about the same age as you, and those movies really propelled my interest in horror, big time.

Yeah, you're probably right. I guess I just wondered if they were actually into that kind of thing but the more I think about it, that's all horror is now: stuff that "really" happened, participating in the spooks with friends (see the insane popularity of poo poo like creepypastas and Youtube superstars hollering at scary videogames), etc.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Parachute posted:

You're definitely right, my tastes have obviously evolved but there was a great feeling of excitement in getting a group together to sneak into Scream 2 or 3. Those are some of my most memorable movie experiences, and absolutely helped kick off my interest in the genre.

Its just that I did a 90's horror week during last October and of course none of the movies held up the way my inner 12 year old was hoping.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

metavisual posted:

Apparently a lot of her friends were super jealous that she got to see The Gallows, so I guess it's pretty popular. Which further confused me about their R Rating. You'd think they would have tried to cut whatever pushed them into that rating to get it down to a PG13. I'm thinking they would have made MUCH more money that way, but then, I don't know poo poo about movie marketing...

I'm just happy one of my kids is into Horror stuff, since my wife hates it. Now I have someone to watch it with!

The funniest part is, cutting one of the literally two shots with any blood would have actually improved Cassidy's death scene significantly. I was thinking at first they were gonna do something like Lambert's death in Alien, but they disappointed me a little on that.

Man, I kinda wanna re-edit The Gallows when it comes out on home formats. I feel like it could be a legit really loving good movie with just a couple of tweaks here and there, shots cutting earlier than they do in the final cut, maybe repurposed Goblin tracks instead of the "real" score (if that's technically feasible).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also I watched Contamination after I got home and man that movie is loving weird.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Pssshhh....I saw Salem's Lot at 5 and the The Exorcist before I was 10.

Ratings just get in the way of building character through early developmental trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Pssshhh....I saw Salem's Lot at 5 and the The Exorcist before I was 10.

Ratings just get in the way of building character through early developmental trauma.

Salems Lot is my goto when people ask for a really scary scene! That drat "let me in" scene with him in the window still creeps me out to this day!
It doesn't hurt that I watched it really young too!

(Hell, I got goosebumps just typing that...)