Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If you play Denezin into Dragon Fodder that is very good on both the play and draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Onmi posted:

Does that adequately explain it? Or am I simply not allowed to ask for help constructing my decks in the Magic: The Gathering thread?

You aren't asking for help though, you're just posting goofy decklists with no real explanation or context. Nobody wants to put in the effort to list every single reason why your decks are bad, especially when they're not even sure if your asking for advice.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
How do you manage to misspell denizen a different way with every post?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

If you play Denezin into Dragon Fodder that is very good on both the play and draw.

A 1/1 Denizen dies to Elvish Mystic as much as a 3/1. Besides, this is kind of a moot point because as I've said: nobody here is saying that Glory-Chaser replaces Denizen, but should be used together. You can't always start a game with Denizen in hand, so Glory-Chaser gives you a redundant one-drop whose benefit is evasion rather than conditional increase in power. Both are good together, though Glory-Chaser benefits more from a Goblin theme whereas Denizen is good in red decks in general.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I had people telling me Glory Chaser is great when I was looking for frenzied goblin. Frenzied at least lets you get through, glory chaser a few turns in is a dead draw.

What about Chandra in the goblins/burn deck? I just need 3 more Piledrivers and I'll have atarka goblins ready to go.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

little munchkin posted:

You aren't asking for help though, you're just posting goofy decklists with no real explanation or context. Nobody wants to put in the effort to list every single reason why your decks are bad, especially when they're not even sure if your asking for advice.

Really, the context is I am new to the game of Magic: The Gathering, I am putting together a standard deck, I would like help to improve this standard deck, since I know very little about M:TG play-wise it would be hard to ask in what areas I would want it specifically improved because I wouldn't know where it's failing except through testing, which does tell me what I'm noticing as weaknesses, but doesn't help me move to fix them since I wouldn't know where to start.

I know I have problem with Chain to Rocks and my mana in general. But even from watching PTs, it seems like just being screwed and drawing into land if you're unlucky is apart of the game. So I added in 4 Rummaging Goblin since that seemed like it might help, though I haven't noticed a change. So. People who both have actual experience with this game, and with these cards. What can you think to suggest. Because I don't just post my lists for fun, I post them because I'd like someone elses eyes on it, there is only so long you can put together a deck with flaws you can spot before just deciding it's not worth the problem anymore and going back to what you know.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Onmi posted:

Really, the context is I am new to the game of Magic: The Gathering, I am putting together a standard deck, I would like help to improve this standard deck, since I know very little about M:TG play-wise it would be hard to ask in what areas I would want it specifically improved because I wouldn't know where it's failing except through testing, which does tell me what I'm noticing as weaknesses, but doesn't help me move to fix them since I wouldn't know where to start.

I know I have problem with Chain to Rocks and my mana in general. But even from watching PTs, it seems like just being screwed and drawing into land if you're unlucky is apart of the game. So I added in 4 Rummaging Goblin since that seemed like it might help, though I haven't noticed a change. So. People who both have actual experience with this game, and with these cards. What can you think to suggest. Because I don't just post my lists for fun, I post them because I'd like someone elses eyes on it, there is only so long you can put together a deck with flaws you can spot before just deciding it's not worth the problem anymore and going back to what you know.

If you want help, start by looking up what the standard format is.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Dohaeris posted:

I had people telling me Glory Chaser is great when I was looking for frenzied goblin. Frenzied at least lets you get through, glory chaser a few turns in is a dead draw.

What about Chandra in the goblins/burn deck? I just need 3 more Piledrivers and I'll have atarka goblins ready to go.

I ended up disliking Frenzied Goblin as a 4-of; Subterranean Scout is better because it makes your Piledriver/Rabblemaster unblockable, period, rather than removing only a single blocker (which may not be effective at all, depending on the opponent). Even Heelcutter is preferable because in return for 3 mana you are getting 3 power, another goblin, the benefits of Dash, etc. that won't die to a 1/1 blocker.

As for Chandra, she could work, though I'd probably start her in the sideboard first and bring her in against Control.

EDIT: VVV Eh, that's also true I suppose, I just think it's overrated as a card.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 15, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean it's kindof moot because there are exactly 3 goblins for R in standard and you will want more than 8 one-drops in the goblin deck.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you want help, start by looking up what the standard format is.

It's the format ranging from M15 to Magic: Origins, with rotating sets that are changing with the changes in block structure from Battle for Zendikar onwards. I understand what Standard is.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Onmi posted:

Don't play bad cards unless you have a very good reason to. Rummaging Goblin is frightfully inefficient and therefore bad

3 mana 1/1 is putrid, 3 mana red looter is extremely inefficient. The card isn't even very good in limited

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
don't play rummaging goblin and test vs real decks

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Onmi posted:

What is your budget, what are you having trouble beating, are you trying to win a Game Day or just play FNM, do you have preferences for color or play-style, how competitive do you want to be, is there some non-sense theme you're exploring?

"Help me with my deck" isn't very informative. The advice you could be looking for could range anywhere from "swap these couple of cards" to "toss that list in the dumpster and learn to play this T1 archetype"

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Getting mana-screwed and drawing the wrong card is just part of the game; there are many ways around it, from individual cards to strategies to even how you construct your curve (which is probably the most important one). There's a reason why the decks you watch during PTs do not use inefficient effects like that.

EDIT: As bad as it might sound, my advice is to netdeck. Going further, read up articles on websites like StarCityGames and Channel Fireball.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 15, 2015

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Onmi posted:

Because I don't just post my lists for fun, I post them because I'd like someone elses eyes on it, there is only so long you can put together a deck with flaws you can spot before just deciding it's not worth the problem anymore and going back to what you know.

is "what you know" the deck you've been playing or are you making some sort of threat about quitting magic if we don't help you

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

bhsman posted:

As for Chandra, she could work, though I'd probably start her in the sideboard first and bring her in against Control.

I don't think the goblin deck wants to get slower vs control. I think whatever sideboard slots are dedicated to that matchup need to be specific answers. Because otherwise they just muck with what your deck is trying to do with goblin synergies

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Ciprian Maricon posted:

What is your budget, what are you having trouble beating, are you trying to win a Game Day or just play FNM, do you have preferences for color or play-style, how competitive do you want to be, is there some non-sense theme you're exploring?

"Help me with my deck" isn't very informative. The advice you could be looking for could range anywhere from "swap these couple of cards" to "toss that list in the dumpster and learn to play this T1 archetype"

Money isn't a problem, but just playing in FNM. I'm fine with pretty much everything but Control. I'm competitive in the sense that I don't care enough to only run the top tier deck at the time if if means not playing a deck I'm having fun with, but I'm not going to hold onto a card that's bad just because I like it. Colour preference goes Boros->White->Jeskai->Naya in pretty much any amount. I don't like focusing on burn and I like swinging creatures.

black potus posted:

some sort of threat about quitting magic if we don't help you

No that would be stupid. I just mean back to playing bad decks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Onmi posted:

Money isn't a problem, but just playing in FNM. I'm fine with pretty much everything but Control. I'm competitive in the sense that I don't care enough to only run the top tier deck at the time if if means not playing a deck I'm having fun with, but I'm not going to hold onto a card that's bad just because I like it. Colour preference goes Boros->White->Jeskai->Naya in pretty much any amount. I don't like focusing on burn and I like swinging creatures.

Are you against burn entirely? If so, red is really, really not for you.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Wezlar posted:

I don't think the goblin deck wants to get slower vs control. I think whatever sideboard slots are dedicated to that matchup need to be specific answers. Because otherwise they just muck with what your deck is trying to do with goblin synergies

Depends how much burn the deck is running; the first 4 cards against Control should always been Eidolon of the Great Revel.

Onmi posted:

Boros Tokens is a deck you could try, though it relies on some Burn as a win condition/removal in addition to overwhelming with tokens. Would that be acceptable?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Are you against burn entirely? If so, red is really, really not for you.

No I mean I love the feeling of a lightning strike to get those last 3 points of life with my last bits of mana. It's really tense. But I don't want to build a deck that's just "4 Lightning Strike, 4 Wild Slash, 4 Hot Hands, etc."

bhsman posted:

Depends how much burn the deck is running; the first 4 cards against Control should always been Eidolon of the Great Revel.

Boros Tokens is a deck you could try, though it relies on some Burn as a win condition/removal in addition to overwhelming with tokens. Would that be acceptable?

I played with Boros Tokens when I messed around with DotP 2015. Raise the Alarm, Dragon Fodder, Young Pyromancer etc. It was fun. It's certainly a deck I'd build. Though Young Pyro isn't in Standard, so I'd have to find other token sourcers.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 15, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Onmi posted:

No I mean I love the feeling of a lightning strike to get those last 3 points of life with my last bits of mana. It's really tense. But I don't want to build a deck that's just "4 Lightning Strike, 4 Wild Slash, 4 Hot Hands, etc."

Nothin' wrong with some hot hands. :heysexy: Seriously, though, Burn is a lot of fun. Really, all colors are fun once you figure out what you like doing in Magic and know how each color supports that.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Onmi posted:

I don't have any authority to enforce this, but "Help me craft a special snowflake deck that appeals to me as a person" seems like the reason the Brewhaus thread exists. Maybe just throw some links to it in this thread if it's really dead.

This whole dance about how you feel about burn spells is kind of tiresome for the main thread.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Onmi posted:

My advice is just copy a list you see on a reputable website card for card.

It sounds like a non-answer but you'll honestly learn more about playing the game and deckbuilding by piloting a tuned list for a season than you would in years of brewing up your own mediocre stuff.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Onmi posted:

I played with Boros Tokens when I messed around with DotP 2015. Raise the Alarm, Dragon Fodder, Young Pyromancer etc. It was fun. It's certainly a deck I'd build. Though Young Pyro isn't in Standard, so I'd have to find other token sourcers.

Play Monastery Mentor.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

bhsman posted:

I don't know if that's absolutely true. Eidolon is great but with tribal decks you really rely on the cards making each other better. If the goblin aggro deck is good (and I'm not saying it definitely is) it's going to be good against Control already and if you're siding out goblins for Eidolon you might be making the synergies weak enough that it doesn't really hold up.

So what I'm saying I guess is everyone should just test everything.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Devor posted:

I don't have any authority to enforce this, but "Help me craft a special snowflake deck that appeals to me as a person" seems like the reason the Brewhaus thread exists. Maybe just throw some links to it in this thread if it's really dead.

This whole dance about how you feel about burn spells is kind of tiresome for the main thread.

I only answered the questions I was asked. I'm not asking anyone to build a deck for me, I'm simply asking people who know better than me for help in cleaning up mistakes I make, like with the rummaging goblin which I had included to attempt to make the deck more consistent.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Play Monastery Mentor.

Yeah, I'm also, probably poorly, running Impact Tremors and Spear of Heliod. I miss Goblin Bombardment.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I like how basically the entire Multiverse is a shithole and there's pretty much nowhere you can go that isn't full of lovely problems to deal with.

Gideon walking between planes every other day to solve someone's dumb problem is Gideon as gently caress though.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think the main problem is people aren't really interested in building a R/W(/x) deck that isn't basically boros dragons or mardu midrange or naya aggro

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Onmi posted:

If you want to get better, don't just play solitaire against yourself, it's just going to reinforce bad habits and you won't notice flaws in your decks/play because you'll never get punished for them. Cockatrice and XMage are programs with servers and a community to find people to play with. XMage might be better since it handles the rules for you like Forge does.

Also Chained to The Rocks is not a very good card. You've realized this and even explained why it is not good in your posts. The solution is to play a better card, not put an even worse card in your deck whose sole purpose is to make your other bad card slightly less bad. Wild slash, stoke the flames, and valorous stance are some ideas for replacements. There's a lot of good R/W removal in Origins as well. Look up some netdecks for card ideas and to see what sucessful decks are doing that your decks aren't. For example your Boros deck runs a ton of 1-drops, which are only good if you are trying to end games as fast as possible. It also runs a bunch of expensive planeswalkers though, which are slow and do not contribute to the plan you've established with all your aggresive creatures. You won't even be able to cast them most games since you only play 21 lands.

Here's an actual good Boros aggro list: http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=9789&d=256412&f=ST.

TL;DR: Copy netdecks and play real people, you're not going to learn how to play by posting on an internet forum.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I like how basically the entire Multiverse is a shithole and there's pretty much nowhere you can go that isn't full of lovely problems to deal with.

Gideon walking between planes every other day to solve someone's dumb problem is Gideon as gently caress though.

well zendikar has real problems

gently caress ravnica though, let them take care of themselves

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

well zendikar has real problems

gently caress ravnica though, let them take care of themselves

Given the art and this story, I guess we can assume Jace is going to show up again in BFZ. I mean, I guess its kind of, sort of his fault.

Hoping for R/W Gideon this time, we haven't had a R/W Planeswalker since Ajani Vengeant, and I love that drat card.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The most efficient way to fix your mistakes in deckbuilding is to not do it at all.

And yes, many of the pro players do follow this principle.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
There's no way they're messing with the colors of the five walkers in origins this soon after the set release.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Given the art and this story, I guess we can assume Jace is going to show up again in BFZ. I mean, I guess its kind of, sort of his fault.

Hoping for R/W Gideon this time, we haven't had a R/W Planeswalker since Ajani Vengeant, and I love that drat card.

Gideon is likely to stick pure white. They probably want at least one walker to remain mono, I expect that of the Origins Walkers, if only because so far they haven't had multi coloured cards.

I just want Ugin to be the disappointed dad to all the Neowalkers, just "I go to sleep after a job well done stopping a legitimate threat to the universe and when I wake up, the Eldrazi are back."

Onmi fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 15, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Oh man what if they riff on Mind Sculptor

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!

Dohaeris posted:

Say you're in an fnm. 8 or so people and the organizer is also playing. Organizer gives himself the buy every week to run the store, and then puts a score in wrong from round 2, resulting in people playing the wrong opponent.. Everyone gets a game in before anyone realizes. But they have realized before games are finished. What should the organizer do in this situation?

The organizer should give affected players store credit for their entrance fee or enough to make up the difference in prizes. Mistakes happen, and there is not much in the rules to correct this, but it is a customer service issue.

I assume that the organizer is taking the bye and then dropping? Otherwise the organizer should start asking their players to consider going to other stores.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Onmi posted:

Gideon is likely to stick pure white. They probably want at least one walker to remain mono, I expect that of the Origins Walkers, if only because so far they haven't had multi coloured cards.
From a storyline perspective there's no real reason to leave him mono-white unless his card is the same as every other Gideon card. Which, uh, yeah, he's gonna be mono-white and turn into a dude again, isn't he?

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 15, 2015

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Fantasy Racist Nissa is not going to stop being monogreen anytime soon and should be in BfZ considering so they'd still have one even if Gideon went multicolored or died

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

From a storyline perspective there's no real reason to leave him mono-white unless his card is the same as every other Gideon card. Which, uh, yeah, he's gonna be mono-white and turn into a dude again, isn't he?

When an ex designer was talking they pretty much confirmed that they have a set list of "Things" that each Walker will do, and all walkers are designed after that. Nissa is the Land walker, so all her abilities are based around Land, they will always be based around Land, she will never have an ability that isn't. Which means from now on Garruk wont do anything based around Land. Same thing with Gideon, he's the Punchmans Walker, so he's always going to be the Punchmans Walker.

EDIT: I'd be happy with another R/W walker though, if that hasn't been made clear. Ajani Vengeant was sweet. And Plot-Wise he punched Bolas in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

UberJew posted:

Fantasy Racist Nissa is not going to stop being monogreen anytime soon and should be in BfZ considering so they'd still have one even if Gideon went multicolored or died

Fantasy Racist Nissa isn't mono-green though. She's both green and black in-universe because she learned black magic from racist Lorwyn elves. She just hasn't appeared in an Expert Level expansion since Zendikar.

Onmi posted:

When an ex designer was talking they pretty much confirmed that they have a set list of "Things" that each Walker will do, and all walkers are designed after that. Nissa is the Land walker, so all her abilities are based around Land, they will always be based around Land, she will never have an ability that isn't. Which means from now on Garruk wont do anything based around Land. Same thing with Gideon, he's the Punchmans Walker, so he's always going to be the Punchmans Walker.
Which is a retcon, since Nissa was racist tribal walker when they came out with her. The PW thematically do things by type that are the same across cards, but I don't know that I buy that its as rigid as you are suggesting.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 15, 2015

• Locked thread