Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

The way I've usually used Blessing is after setting it up with Great Strides + Innovation and you simply cannot reliably pull off the discount Byregot's in a combo that way. I have it on my bar but I don't think I've ever actually used the ability.

So far I've found a lot of the new crafting abilities to be underwhelming compared to the old standbys, with the exceptions of Precise Touch (which is awesome) and the level 54 class-specific abilities.

I think Byregot's Brow is intended to be a boon to people who only level one or two craft classes, so you don't have to max everything out to be able to make things. It's worse than Blessing, sure, but it's a lot better than the nothing you have without 50 levels of Carpenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

For anyone still interested in TT tournament.

Pre-nerf I won about 10k+ MGP and 3 plat packs. Post-nerf I won like 3500, or some dumb poo poo like that. This most recent tournament I won about 7500+ and 2 plat packs, although I think I could have scored higher. NPCs mostly give about 8-9% less than pre-nerf now but the reward range varied where sometimes they rewarded me the pre-nerf amount (or close to it) as well.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Who Dat posted:

Is spending all of my gil to buy a room in our guild house financially savvy, and will it help to validate my self worth?

No, rooms are useless. Buy it when it won't make you have 0 gil.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I haven't even started a crafting class yet.

What's the best guide to check out if I do want to start one? Is it necessary? I didn't get the sense that gear was that hard to come by, but I'm only lvl 52 and I know they gave out higher lvl gear to boost you at 45 and 50 into the content to unlock heavensward. What's 60 like in that regard?

acu
Oct 13, 2014

Benson Cunningham posted:

What's the best guide to check out if I do want to start one? Is it necessary? I didn't get the sense that gear was that hard to come by, but I'm only lvl 52 and I know they gave out higher lvl gear to boost you at 45 and 50 into the content to unlock heavensward. What's 60 like in that regard?

As it currently stands, as far as I am aware, the crafted gear for DoW and DoM classes does not compare to what is available from Laws and Alexander loot.

e: Leveling through Heavensward, you wouldn't need to have crafted gear to make your life easier as the quests give HQ gear as rewards, and the dungeon gear is also quite nice. If you were to take a second class to 60 without just grinding fates, maybe you would need to get some crafted HQ gear to make your life easier. I really doubt it though.

acu fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 15, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Who Dat posted:

Is spending all of my gil to buy a room in our guild house financially savvy, and will it help to validate my self worth?

Depending on your level, you're going to make a few million doing the MSQ alone. Rooms can be fun, but they also don't really do anything you can't do already.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

nuru posted:

Depending on your level, you're going to make a few million doing the MSQ alone. Rooms can be fun, but they also don't really do anything you can't do already.

money from the msq got severely nerfed due to savage might/aim 4 now being worth pennies

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got to say that I'm a touch disappointed that after 2.55 you can still walk around Ul'dah like nothing happened-not even some bullshit handwave.

At the least I was hoping Jenlyns would at least say ":stare: I'd really like to hear your side of what happened." I guess an explanation is forthcoming, but after all the nice touches the game has shown that felt like a major ball drop.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

SirPhoebos posted:

I got to say that I'm a touch disappointed that after 2.55 you can still walk around Ul'dah like nothing happened-not even some bullshit handwave.

At the least I was hoping Jenlyns would at least say ":stare: I'd really like to hear your side of what happened." I guess an explanation is forthcoming, but after all the nice touches the game has shown that felt like a major ball drop.

It does get explained in a cutscene.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

If you talk to the random NPCs, most of them do have new dialogue that relates to this.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
It's the same thing for Mor Dhona.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

How do you tell if it's a bot in a dungeon? Do they just not talk?
Bots in FATES are easy because they run like idiots after every fate, before doing a 180 and running to the next one.

The most common thing I've noticed is that they for some reason move like they have momentum, they'll walk and then change to a run after a couple steps, usually making very unnatural turns and popping CDs at the start of every fight. Had one in Haukke manor which was funny because the AI wasn't programmed terribly well for interactions and we would all stop and watch him try to use a key on the door, get halfway through then stop, run backwards looking for an alternate entrance, before running back and opening the door completely. It totally broke after the second boss though and spent a good 5mins trying to path back up stairs without any luck so we had to kick him. RIP.

Had a lancer in another dungeon who mimic'd those actions almost exactly which is how I know without a doubt that it's bot behavior.

Also some of them will jump if you get infront of them which I guess is the AI thinking you're an obstacle it has to get past but doesn't want to path around you.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Crafted gear is worse than raid/currency gear in 99% of circumstances. If you want to get into crafting, do it because you like to craft or you want to make gil.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I use FFXIV guild for crafting guides, for example, here's the culinarian one for leveling up: http://www.ffxivguild.com/ffxiv-cul-culinarian-leveling-guide-ffxivarr/ this guide is a little outdated, but it's still good.

General train of thought is - buy the engineering manuals for the EXP boost to get you up to 15 for each DoH class quickly to take advantage of the cross class skills (Tricks of the Trade from ALC, Rumination from CRP, Waste Not from LTW, Careful Synthesis from WVR are ones I use all the time in the mid level area). Once you're at 15, you can start doing leves. If you're overflowing with leves, the guides generally show what is the best leve to do for turn-in in terms of cheapest item. If you're strapped for leves, do the courier ones (get the leve at a town, then deliver it somewhere) as those grant the most amount of EXP. Do the daily GC turn-in as that grants a lot of EXP as well. Always go for HQ stuff, since that doubles the amount of EXP from leves and GC turn-ins.

There's also the Ixal beast tribe quests which I sometimes use for experience, because I can have my best DoH complete the build easily and then switch to my lowest level DoH class to collect the experience.

I've seen some videos of people who have grinded from 1-50 in a couple of hours just by consistently doing leves and HQ turn-ins. I'm not there yet because I don't have the patience to do such a thing :v:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The most common thing I've noticed is that they for some reason move like they have momentum, they'll walk and then change to a run after a couple steps, usually making very unnatural turns and popping CDs at the start of every fight. Had one in Haukke manor which was funny because the AI wasn't programmed terribly well for interactions and we would all stop and watch him try to use a key on the door, get halfway through then stop, run backwards looking for an alternate entrance, before running back and opening the door completely. It totally broke after the second boss though and spent a good 5mins trying to path back up stairs without any luck so we had to kick him. RIP.

The most common indication, at least for melee bots, is a constant semi-circle strafing behaviour (intended to increase its likelihood of evading attacks). They also just have really bizarre skill choices that anyone who's played the game a decent length of time can pick out, like casting nothing but Adloquium or using Javelin Toss when you're only 4 yalms away from the target.

bonewitch posted:

Crafted gear is worse than raid/currency gear in 99% of circumstances. If you want to get into crafting, do it because you like to craft or you want to make gil.

And even if you don't craft, you can still make a decent amount of money via your retainers (though at an obviously slower rate than crafting). I've made about 3 million since the start of the expansion just by having my retainers do Hunts that yield in-demand crafting components and selling them on the MB.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

It should be noted that the crafting-gathering duality feeds itself nicely even if you're not focused on making gil, creating a similar sort of progression to battle-oriented content. Crafters make gear that is the best gear for crafting and/or gathering, gathering feeds crafting most of its materials and most Disciplines of the Hand create components that are used by another class (blacksmiths make rivets which are often used in leatherworking, goldsmiths forge ingots which are used in blacksmithing, etc), and Alchemists/Culinarians make consumables that are geared towards crafting, gathering, and raid content alike.

I have never once tried to use my crafting skills to actively make gil, but I still enjoy playing what essentially feels to me to be a "second game" that exists in parallel to the group-oriented raid progression content.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

It's a nice feeling to have all your alt jobs decked out in HQ gear while leveling.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I miss having a house of my own without shelling huge amounts of gil.

Bring back Mog Houses please SE.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

nuru posted:

It's a nice feeling to have all your alt jobs decked out in HQ gear while leveling.

This is pretty much what I use my crafting abilities for. I also really want to get my crafting levels up to at least 50 so I can do my own repairs.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I miss having a house of my own without shelling huge amounts of gil.

Bring back Mog Houses please SE.

Free company rooms are basically mog houses, with the exception that they don't let you grow plants in them the way mog houses do. A single room, reasonable but not massive space, that you can decorate with indoor furnishings as you see fit.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My only problem with crafting is that 90% of the time I can't be bothered with actually crafting anything. Just too much hassle to get all the ingredients off the MB instead of just paying a premium for the completed item :v:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Vil posted:

Free company rooms are basically mog houses, with the exception that they don't let you grow plants in them the way mog houses do. A single room, reasonable but not massive space, that you can decorate with indoor furnishings as you see fit.

Better hope that your FC is big enough to afford one!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

bonewitch posted:

If crafting is worse than drops/currency, what makes it profitable?

Also, I wish that retainers had a shared inventory space.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

It's not always strictly worse. There's also glamour, bardings, furniture, and most imortantly other crafters to supply.

When there's a new market getting in quickly enough can also bring in multiple millions/hr.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SirPhoebos posted:

Back during T5 the big thing was making crafted jewelry with 5? materia because the fight was bugged out and hard.

My group cleared t5 a few times then like a dota team, we disappeared after one speed bump. I never played before Heavensward came out so I don't know if that stayed true for other raid content.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

are melded vit accessories still a good idea for savage, or has gear surpassed that bit?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Crafting is best for equipment repairs.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Algid posted:

It's not always strictly worse. There's also glamour, bardings, furniture, and most imortantly other crafters to supply.

Speaking of glamour, I wish there was a website like MogIt for WoW that let me see what all the different outfits are.

EDIT: what the hell does "Unaspected Damage" mean?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 15, 2015

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

SirPhoebos posted:

Speaking of glamour, I wish there was a website like MogIt for WoW that let me see what all the different outfits are.

You could use FFXIV Explorer's model viewer for that.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: what the hell does "Unaspected Damage" mean?

Non-elemental. I don't think this has any actual gameplay applications, however.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

One more crafting question: do I really need to level up a hand disciple to place material in my gear?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SirPhoebos posted:

One more crafting question: do I really need to level up a hand disciple to place material in my gear?

Yup! Unless you Request Meld of another crafter that can do it.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

SirPhoebos posted:

Glamours and consumables are probably the big two markets that make a lot of money, but there is various other smaller markets like housing items, etc. Additionally for crafting classes crafted gear is pretty much always BiS, so making things for other crafters can be very valuable.

Crafted combat gear has only been relevant in a few, very specific instances. For groups chasing world first raid clears, max melded gear allowed them to eke out more stats than what they would normally have at the beginning of a raid tier. For tanks (warriors specifically), vit melded accessories allowed you to trade a few points of vitality for a significant gain in strength; increasing their damage significantly without affecting their ability to tank. Both of these were multi-million gil investments for a relatively small increase in stats, meaning the only people who really did them were hardcore progression raiders and rich people.

Volt Catfish posted:

are melded vit accessories still a good idea for savage, or has gear surpassed that bit?

God no, you can do savage in like i120 without vit melds.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

mightygerm posted:

Non-elemental. I don't think this has any actual gameplay applications, however.

I feel like it's mostly just a shortcut for "we couldn't think of a thematically appropriate element for this but wanted to make it clear that it is magic damage as opposed to physical".

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Can someone explain how Divine Veil works. The tooltip says that the barrier protects up to 10% of the caster's HP. Is the caster the Paladin or the healer that set off the ability?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Having the appropriate craft leveled will let you:

- Make that flavor of gear
- Stick materia into that flavor of gear
- Repair that flavor of gear

The first of those can be replaced by having someone else make it for you. The second of those can be replaced by using the "request meld" option. Neither of these are things you need to be able to do on a regular basis, only on an occasional basis.

The third of those is arguably the most useful - while it can be replaced with repair NPCs, they require you to leave whatever you're currently doing and trot over to one in a town. This may not exactly be viable if you blithely let your gear break halfway through a dungeon. Self-repairs, however, can be done at any time so long as you have the dark matter on hand, even mid-combat. (Corollary: keep dark matter on hand.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SirPhoebos posted:

Can someone explain how Divine Veil works. The tooltip says that the barrier protects up to 10% of the caster's HP. Is the caster the Paladin or the healer that set off the ability?

I haven't done any testing but assuming that the tooltip is 100% correct, it's the PLD's HP that determines the strength of the shield while the healer's just time it. Since the PLD is the one casting Divine Veil in the first place.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

My only problem with crafting is that 90% of the time I can't be bothered with actually crafting anything. Just too much hassle to get all the ingredients off the MB instead of just paying a premium for the completed item :v:

When you craft you just tend to accumulate materials. I have 3 retainers full of organized crafting mats and rarely need to buy something off the MB unless it's a one off item like a wolf fang.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

EponymousMrYar posted:

I haven't done any testing but assuming that the tooltip is 100% correct, it's the PLD's HP that determines the strength of the shield while the healer's just time it. Since the PLD is the one casting Divine Veil in the first place.

EDIT: After searching around I've read it both ways and I just simply don't know what's right.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Mr. Nice! posted:

Divine Veil isn't a spell. It isn't cast. It's an ability. It's 10% of the healer's HP.
FFXIVinfo seems to disagree.

• Locked thread