Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Look Under The Rock posted:

TODAY'S BUZZFEED:
in it to win it.

likewise quote my post and I will tell you which thing in my bedroom most reminds me of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

TODAY'S BUZZFEED:

Quote this post and I will tell you which person in my Introduction to Ethics class you are. Also most people in this class have little nicknames so you've got that to look forward to.

EccoRaven posted:

in it to win it.

likewise quote my post and I will tell you which thing in my bedroom most reminds me of you

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

TODAY'S BUZZFEED:

Quote this post and I will tell you which person in my Introduction to Ethics class you are. Also most people in this class have little nicknames so you've got that to look forward to.

EccoRaven posted:

in it to win it.

Yes to both of these!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 27, 2020

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

TODAY'S BUZZFEED:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TODAY'S BUZZFEED:

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Apologies in advance for all of these.

BottleKnight posted:

You are West Catholic, a girl who would be totally the cutest thing ever if not for the fact that the only time she ever speaks up is to defend Catholicism and talk about how being gay is a choice

EccoRaven posted:

You are Walking Tumblr, a dude who is in his early twenties, holds an elected office in our city, has an amazing (possibly eidetic) memory for all things related to politics (like if you mention a bill vaguely he can tell you which number it is, which reps pushed it, and when it was voted on) and speaks really loving intelligently about issues of equality but is missing teeth, makes vague references to his fringe religion, and uses the phrase "check your privilege" with no irony

Kumbamontu posted:

You are Rand Freemarket, who believes that segregation should be legal when applied to privately owned businesses, defends parents who murder their disabled children, and has fallen asleep twice in class already today

CCKeane posted:

You are Homophobe Bait, the girl sitting next to me with cotton candy colored hair and rainbow friendship bracelets -- the most reasonable person in class until people say too much complete bullshit, at which point it is TROLL TIME

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

You are YOU BETTER PREACH, the girl who is loving incredible at talking about race, but straight up quotes the Bible when asked where universal values come from

I GOT MORE GUYS COME ON

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

oh by the way I just discovered that Walking Tumblr pronounces it nucular

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

You are Devil's Advocate, the guy with super neat watercolor tattoos who opens just about everything he says with "okay, I'm gonna play devil's advocate here..."

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I really want to be in this class

It sounds very fun

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

You are Rand Freemarket, who believes that segregation should be legal when applied to privately owned businesses, defends parents who murder their disabled children, and has fallen asleep twice in class already today

This is, unironcally, 17 year old me.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Kumbamontu posted:

This is, unironcally, 17 year old me.

I can see over his shoulder, he is browsing Reddit on his phone.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

you are a rainbow polkadot umbrella!

poo poo yes

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TODAY'S BUZZFEED:

I must know!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

in it to win it.

I must know this too!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Every time I see TMMadman post his avatar reminds me of BHB. Where did BHB disappear to anyway

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I don't know you, so

TMMadman posted:

You are Mysterious Stranger, a reaaaaally incredibly hot dude who has not spoken up in class even once

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Mafia thread I am in the office and I am going loving nuts.

Time is moving so slowly.

Mafia thread I think I have been in this chair for a million years.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

Mafia thread I am in the office and I am going loving nuts.

Time is moving so slowly.

Mafia thread I think I have been in this chair for a million years.

OKAY KEANE LET'S PLAY A GAME

This game is called Ethics Class Sock Puppet. You get to come up with a couple blocks of blisteringly witty text that will shoot down utilitarianism as ethically sound and I will say them out loud in class.

Short and sweet is better as my teacher has a tendency to cut people off mid-paragraph if they get too wordy. HOWEVER: I will record it when I say it. GO GO GO

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

If people arguing in favor of utilitarian philosophies lean conservative, "I agree, we SHOULD crush capitalism"

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

If people arguing in favor of utilitarian philosophies lean conservative, "I agree, we SHOULD crush capitalism"

Yeah they are just talking about euthanasia and stuff right now. I want to shoot a giant rocket at utilitarianism.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

You can also start sobbing and saying that this discussion is making you INCREDIBLY upset, and you are suffering more than they are gaining utility from the discussion so ethically it must cease.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Man, my sleep schedule is all messed up. I wake up early for swimming every day, but then I'm tired when I get home so I take a nap, but then I go to bed late so I don't get a lot of sleep before waking up early for swimming and so on and so forth.

I'm trying not to nap right now, but it's a warm day (but not hot like yesterday or cold like this morning) and I have my fan going creating a nice breeze and I'm eating grapes for a snack and it's so drat calm and comfortable here right now that I want to sleep.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Yeah they are just talking about euthanasia and stuff right now. I want to shoot a giant rocket at utilitarianism.

ugh they will not stop talking about euthanasia STOP

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Euthanasia is in voluntary or involuntary?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

You should attempt to convince them that the proletariat should be euthanized so the bourgeoisie can utilize all the space they're taking up.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

You can also start sobbing and saying that this discussion is making you INCREDIBLY upset, and you are suffering more than they are gaining utility from the discussion so ethically it must cease.

oh god I so badly want to do this but I'm horrible at fake crying

I might just go with the whole utilitarian defense of CSA that my friend told me someone legit argued for in his ethics class

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

Euthanasia is in voluntary or involuntary?

"OH INVOLUNTARY EUTHANASIA DOESN'T EXIST IN OUR COUNTRY SO IT'S IRRELEVANT TO THIS DISCUSSION"

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Kumbamontu posted:

You should attempt to convince them that the proletariat should be euthanized so the bourgeoisie can utilize all the space they're taking up.

Help me put this in words that don't sound so overtly like trolling and I'll do it

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Having played Socrates Jones, a flash game designed as an introduction to philosophy, I know a thing or two about Utilitarianism. Basically the big deal with it is that it's hard to define what exactly is utility and what really increases it. There are also some very troubling implications that the happiness (or whatever they're defining as utility) of some people are better than others. For instance, if stringing up and murdering Rand Freemarket (use real name) would make everybody else in the class happy, thus increasing the most utility, is that the right thing to do?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Also this discussion hasn't used the word "utility" even once, in our (lovely) textbook it's framed as happiness vs suffering

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Kumbamontu posted:

"Individuals that are determine, by acutrial tables, to be unlikely to be a net positive to the well being of the country, could be eliminated. Even if you are wrong, by net, you'll make a profit on happiness and productivity.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Having played Socrates Jones, a flash game designed as an introduction to philosophy, I know a thing or two about Utilitarianism. Basically the big deal with it is that it's hard to define what exactly is utility and what really increases it. There are also some very troubling implications that the happiness (or whatever they're defining as utility) of some people are better than others. For instance, if stringing up and murdering Rand Freemarket (use real name) would make everybody else in the class happy, thus increasing the most utility, is that the right thing to do?

I've been reeeeeaaaaaallllly relentless in my shaming of Rand Freemarket. Every loving time he opens his mouth I ridicule him. I have shamed him so hard he has stopped talking and sulks through every class now. This started on day one when he tried to argue that refusing to vote is a meaningful, productive form of protest and that if the majority of citizens refused to vote, "they'd have to change the system"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

oh ok, strict happiness is still pretty easy to game.

According to some study, money makes you happier but caps out at $75000 a year. Making more than that doesn't really increase your happiness.

The best thing to do according to utilitarianism is to take all the money that people make above that and give it to people who make less.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Help me put this in words that don't sound so overtly like trolling and I'll do it

A member of the proletariat is statistically less likely than a member of the bourgeoisie to be happy. A member of the bourgeoisie also is statistically more likely, due to the nature of their class, to be able to better utilize any land a prole owns. In order to maximize utility, whoever is able to use resources the best should be the ones to receive those resources. It then follows that the bourgeois should then be able to utilize all land, leaving no place for the proles other than graves.

..or something.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Also this discussion hasn't used the word "utility" even once, in our (lovely) textbook it's framed as happiness vs suffering

What happens if I'm only happy when others are suffering?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

"Individuals that are determine, by acutrial tables, to be unlikely to be a net positive to the well being of the country, could be eliminated. Even if you are wrong, by net, you'll make a profit on happiness and productivity.

Spell this out phonetically and you've got it.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Spell this out phonetically and you've got it.

I think he meant "actuarial" as in data calculated by an actuary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

When people disagree with that switch to this line:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

oh ok, strict happiness is still pretty easy to game.

According to some study, money makes you happier but caps out at $75000 a year. Making more than that doesn't really increase your happiness.

The best thing to do according to utilitarianism is to take all the money that people make above that and give it to people who make less.

Watch their head spin as you have successfully defeated John Stuart Mill