Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

raditts posted:

My condolences.

Genesis games that were good... Sonic, Castlevania Bloodlines, Gunstar Heroes, ???
I'm sure there were others but damned if I can think of any of them

Streets of Rage 1+2, all the Shinobi games (apart from Shadow Dancer, I guess), Rocket Knight Adventures, Contra Hard Corps, a bunch of obscure shumups (Steel Empire, Gynoug, Hellfire, BioHazard), Castle of Illusion......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
When I look up wii u pro netflix it's tons of people complaining. Does the pro controller control netflix, the gamepad battery dies when I'm watching netflix and I can't leave it on it's cradle because wii u doesn't autoplay.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Are you guys literally living in the same place for like 30 years that you can drag all your junk along forever

Funny thing is whenever I've had to move I just go to any GameStop a couple of times and ask for boxes. The stuff's a pain to pack but CD cases/etc. don't really take up a lot of space when they're in a box or on a shelf. I think part of it though is that, in terms of nerd stuff we have like zero interest in action figures, limited edition statues, strategy guides and that kind of thing, so it's all stuff that can fit into boxes already made to hold movies/whatever stuff that you can get a ton of whenever from GameStop/Best Buy/whatever place. I know one person who's big into the statues and getting the like the super LE of every movie/game he likes and it's like, I think the person specifically isn't moving out a bad situation for years JUST because of not wanting to have to sell or get rid of any of it.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Excels posted:

Don't actually watch that documentary, though.

The documentary has good music! And terrible awkward human beings. There's the weirdly angry whiney guy, the two socially awkward guys who live with their mom and only wear black, and a bald guy with autism. The movie is kinda like a car wreck in that you've seen all you need to in 5 seconds but you weirdly want to keep seeing how terrible it gets

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

raditts posted:

My condolences.

Genesis games that were good... Sonic, Castlevania Bloodlines, Gunstar Heroes, ???

Wonder Boy in Monster World, Ristar, DJ Boy, Dynamite Headdy, Marvel Land, Pulseman, Monster World 4

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Are you guys literally living in the same place for like 30 years that you can drag all your junk along forever

Cheap furniture, good games.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Saoshyant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv3Bu9wR7s0

It just keeps getting better and better. This is the trainwreck I wanted :allears:

Wow, a PS2 Dead to Rights clone. I really did not expect to see that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There are a ton of parallels between this game and Daikatana - multiple engine changes, a director who wasted lots of time/money on self-indulgent bullshit, and it'll undoubtedly ruin Itagaki's reputation, such as it is. It looks awesome.

Totally, the infamous Daikanata ad and production really was the first thing that came to mind for those reasons. Especially with Itagaki's rock star persona and that second promotional video.

I might pre-order, I mean this is a historical moment in Nintendo published games in the US. Like this will be our Geist.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Marvel Land, god dammit I've been trying to remember the name of that game for years.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Nolgthorn posted:

When I look up wii u pro netflix it's tons of people complaining. Does the pro controller control netflix, the gamepad battery dies when I'm watching netflix and I can't leave it on it's cradle because wii u doesn't autoplay.

Answer is: no. >(

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Excels posted:

Don't actually watch that documentary, though.

I liked it :shobon:

That said, I think I've only played one of the games in the movie (Braid?). I somehow own Fez and Super Meat Boy on Steam though...I blame Humble Bundle.

Also, watch the movie just to see how broken Phil Fish is. He makes everyone else in that movie look normal by comparison.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

raditts posted:

Worse than Legendia? It can't possibly be worse than Legendia.

I've never played it so my statement remains accurate.

It would have to be extremely bad to be worse than ToS 2

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Legendia is a much better game than Symphonia 2 in pretty much every way, sad as that is.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Legendia had an okay story, interesting setting, nice characters and excellent music but godawful gameplay.

Symphonia 2 has a bad story, a rather boring setting, awful characters, only a few standout tracks and godawful gameplay.

So yes, worse than Legendia.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Bill Trinen cancelled his EVO trip :(

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My little brother was obsessed with Tales of Symphonia. Like, crazy bonkers put-125-hours-on-each-of-his-5-New-Game-+-files obsessed. He had the game memorized and completely mastered, so when the sequel was announced he was absolutely giddy.

He took great pains to keep any information about the sequel away, hoping to experience it fresh when it came out. Cancelled his Nintendo Power subscription. Stopped reading message boards. In the month leading up to it, he had a countdown counter next to his alarm clock.

Finally, the day came, it came out, he was there at Gamestop the moment they opened to whisk it home and pop it into our Wii. The only other time I had seen that look of blithesome glee on his face was when he came home the day after Junior Prom, having lost his virginity to his sweet but previously prudish girlfriend. I didn't watch him play, but I did pop in and out of the room over the course of the day. I saw, over the hours that passed, that joyful look turn from glee, to satisfaction, to mild consternation, to extreme consternation, to dejection. He slogged through it over the course of that weekend, then returned it for store credit. I have never seen him play Tales of Symphonia since.

It is A Bad Game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

raditts posted:

My condolences.

Ecco the Dolphin/Tides of Time. Oh and also the Aero the Acrobat games, and the spinoff starring Zero. They were good platformers and I always preferred the Genesis versions to the SNES ones. (Plus I don't think Zero was even on the SNES?)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Anime Curator posted:

Because he has to assume responsibilities as president of NoA now that Reggie Fils-Aime has been kicked up to president of Nintendo Co Ltd.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just paid my respects to Iwata at the nyc store

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Got linked to this from a friend.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

raditts posted:

My condolences.

Shinobi III, Streets of Rage 2, Shining Force 1 and 2, Phantasy Star II and IV, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, more if you ask around I bet.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I like Comix Zone a lot.

Also Shinobi 3 is legit great and everyone with a 3DS should go download it.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Not a Children posted:

My little brother was obsessed with Tales of Symphonia. Like, crazy bonkers put-125-hours-on-each-of-his-5-New-Game-+-files obsessed. He had the game memorized and completely mastered, so when the sequel was announced he was absolutely giddy.

He took great pains to keep any information about the sequel away, hoping to experience it fresh when it came out. Cancelled his Nintendo Power subscription. Stopped reading message boards. In the month leading up to it, he had a countdown counter next to his alarm clock.

Finally, the day came, it came out, he was there at Gamestop the moment they opened to whisk it home and pop it into our Wii. The only other time I had seen that look of blithesome glee on his face was when he came home the day after Junior Prom, having lost his virginity to his sweet but previously prudish girlfriend. I didn't watch him play, but I did pop in and out of the room over the course of the day. I saw, over the hours that passed, that joyful look turn from glee, to satisfaction, to mild consternation, to extreme consternation, to dejection. He slogged through it over the course of that weekend, then returned it for store credit. I have never seen him play Tales of Symphonia since.

It is A Bad Game.
Are you telling me that your brother was just as happy to buy cartoony jrpg as he was when he lost his virginity

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Anime Curator posted:

Nooooooooooooo

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

bef posted:

Just paid my respects to Iwata at the nyc store

I'm doing this later today.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Spintzel posted:

Are you telling me that your brother was just as happy to buy cartoony jrpg as he was when he lost his virginity

Problem?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Spintzel posted:

trap sprung

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi is another great Shinobi game on the Genesis. Just keep in mind it's pretty tough because it's closer to the gameplay style of the original Shinobi, meaning you die in one hit.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

What the gently caress are all of these Genesis recommendations without Crusader of Centy/Soleil

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I will super buy Devil's Third for irony purposes secondhand so I don't actually have to give Itagaki any of my money

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Blockhouse posted:

I will super buy Devil's Third for irony purposes secondhand so I don't actually have to give Itagaki any of my money

gently caress you. You must buy Devil's Third third hand.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I almost wish DT wasn't getting a US release just so there could be a giant Operation Rainfall backlash over a game like that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Junpei Hyde posted:

I like Comix Zone a lot.

I had Comix Zone on PC during that time after Win95 came out where Sega made PC ports of a bunch of Genesis games. It was probably one of the worst things I ever played.
I did just remember Shining in the Darkness though, I never finished it for some reason but I got pretty far and liked it a lot.
Somehow I forgot about the Shinobi games too, and I liked the Genesis version of Strider.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I almost wish DT wasn't getting a US release just so there could be a giant Operation Rainfall backlash over a game like that.
to be fair, im pretty sure even 'japan gets so many good games' types would realize dt was poo poo

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

raditts posted:

I had Comix Zone on PC during that time after Win95 came out where Sega made PC ports of a bunch of Genesis games. It was probably one of the worst things I ever played.
I did just remember Shining in the Darkness though, I never finished it for some reason but I got pretty far and liked it a lot.
Somehow I forgot about the Shinobi games too, and I liked the Genesis version of Strider.

I still replay comix zone every now and then. It's filled with bad design decisions but something about it just keeps me from disliking it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Devil's Third, more like Devil's Turd.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chill Penguin posted:

I'm doing this later today.

The amiibo line is freakin' crazy, I couldn't do it.

Oh gee wow this line isn'tlong at all!
"Uhh sir the line for amiibos starts outside" *sees 30 people before the doors* O____O

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Comix Zone is crazy bad but it's got funny/terrible 90's aesthetics that make it worth playing if you just cheat through it. It's no fun played legit.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

bef posted:

The amiibo line is freakin' crazy, I couldn't do it.

Oh gee wow this line isn'tlong at all!
"Uhh sir the line for amiibos starts outside" *sees 30 people before the doors* O____O

Thankfully, the majority of Amiibo do not appeal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Mercury Crusader posted:

Shinobi III, Streets of Rage 2, Shining Force 1 and 2, Phantasy Star II and IV, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, more if you ask around I bet.

It had the better version of Shadowrun.

• Locked thread