Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sir Kodiak posted:

Her father was certainly successful, but I'm curious if mid-sized textile manufacturers qualify as part of the "small group" in which power is "fairly tightly concentrated." Like, are the people making drapes for hotels part of the oligarchy we're worried about.

Wealthiest by caparison to Bill and Barack's families was what I meant. They're nowhere near the type of wealth that the Bush's grew up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Thump! posted:

He's gonna suspend the elections until we fully join the civilized world :tinfoil:

He can't do that, he has to follow the First Amendment.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I think out of all of them Hillary has come from the wealthiest family actually.

And that's not really saying much. Her dad owned a small business in textiles. They were fairly middle class and Republican.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Trumpism already has been the perfect ideology for a third party

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Yesss, push him to run on his own, suck all the crazies out the the Republican base. I want a bloodbath next year.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Brannock posted:

For all the reasons he listed for potentially not wanting Clinton as the candidate, not a single one was "Someone so closely related to a former President shouldn't be running for President."

Probably because that's a dumb reason and people who consider that a good reason to exclude Hilary are better off being ignored. "They are related to a former leader" as an argument to disqualify someone who might otherwise be good for the job is beyond dumb. There's plenty of reasons to disqualify people like Jeb!? without bringing up his shithead brother.

Brannock posted:

We're very likely to get Bush vs Clinton in the general, which means that since 1988 6 out of 8 elected terms have been held by two families. If this was anywhere else in the world we'd be denouncing it as a clear example of oligarchic tyranny.

Russia is (rightfully) criticized for their transparent swapping between Medvedev and Putin. The Bush/Clinton families is a step beyond that.

Except Russia is the exact same leadership the entire time (or do people really think Medvedev was in charge and not obeying Putin?) whereas you have to be insane to think the Bush and Clinton families are working together. Russia was a literal figurehead appointment that didn't change Putin leading the country and this was very apparent any time the two were at odds because Putin was never the one to blink first.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I hope Obama uses his last year to push for metric, just to see Republicans melt down defending our good, honest American measurements. We've always said Republicans would fight Obama over literally anything, let's put it to the test.

"In other news, the White House announced today that they will back the passage of the Don't Drink Bleach Act of 2016 through Congress. Republican leaders are already vowing to contest the passage of the measure, and massive bleach-drinking protests have already sprung up in conservative enclaves across the country."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alter Ego posted:

"In other news, the White House announced today that they will back the passage of the Don't Drink Bleach Act of 2016 through Congress. Republican leaders are already vowing to contest the passage of the measure, and massive bleach-drinking protests have already sprung up in conservative enclaves across the country."

Why not the Don't Eat Cyanide Act of 2016?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

And that's not really saying much. Her dad owned a small business in textiles. They were fairly middle class and Republican.

Well yeah, but that beats being the son of a gambling/drinking auto dealership owner or son to an international aid worker.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Thump! posted:

gently caress it, switch everything to Metric, start measuring temperature in Kelvin :getin:

He's gonna suspend the elections until we fully join the civilized world :tinfoil:

Look at these global warming statistics! Yesterday it was 35 degrees Celsius, today it is 309 Kelvin!

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Alter Ego posted:

http://on.cc.com/1tyOF8I

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why not the Don't Eat Cyanide Act of 2016?

Who said we're stopping there?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Her father was certainly successful, but I'm curious if mid-sized textile manufacturers qualify as part of the "small group" in which power is "fairly tightly concentrated." Like, are the people making drapes for hotels part of the oligarchy we're worried about.

the petite bourgeoisie is probably the most counter-revolutionary class

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Might be worth noting that Brand Paul's opposition to the Iran deal is a break from both Ron Paul and The Cato Institute, indicating that he's more willing than ever to jettison his libertarian appeal and become a normal Republican.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

Wealthiest by caparison to Bill and Barack's families was what I meant. They're nowhere near the type of wealth that the Bush's grew up with.

Absolutely. Not complaining about you clarifying what "relatively modest" is covering.

icantfindaname posted:

the petite bourgeoisie is probably the most counter-revolutionary class

Sure. Hillary's sometimes deference to the wealthy could certainly be explained by her background, if one felt the need to engage in that sort of analysis. But they're not oligarchs.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

This is a surprise to you? Being a normal Republican with libertarian branding always been his entire platform

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

Better than his son...

Mr Grey will see you now

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sure. Hillary's sometimes deference to the wealthy could certainly be explained by her background, if one felt the need to engage in that sort of analysis. But they're not oligarchs.
Those would be her donors.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

icantfindaname posted:

This is a surprise to you? Being a normal Republican with libertarian branding always been his entire platform

It is not at all a surprise to me, nor do I think most self-described libertarians are appreciably different from regular Republicans in the first place when the chips are down.

Still seems like something worth noting, since Lindsey Graham and others have been beating Paul over his one or two sane positions on foreign policy. Instead of doubling down, he's assimilating.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Miltank posted:

Those would be her donors.

Yep.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Well yeah, but that beats being the son of a gambling/drinking auto dealership owner or son to an international aid worker.

well yeah, though obama's grand mother (who he mostly lived with) ended up being like the vice president of the bank she worked for

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Trump has filed with the FEC. And of course, his statement begins with two paragraphs of bragging, how these forms weren't designed ' for someone of Mr. Trump's wealth'. :allears:

Phone posting, so no link or screen atm.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

richardfun posted:

Trump has filed with the FEC. And of course, his statement begins with two paragraphs of bragging, how these forms weren't designed ' for someone of Mr. Trump's wealth'. :allears:

:flashfap:

How long until the first debate?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

richardfun posted:

ahahahaha aoh god please let this happen

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

:flashfap:

How long until the first debate?

I think the 6th of August is the first one. No clue if Trump is even going to be a part of it though.

He better be.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He's polling in the lead or close to it in many polls. He's filed and officially running. What possible reason could they exclude him?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Anime Curator posted:

I think the 6th of August is the first one. No clue if Trump is even going to be a part of it though.

He better be.

Assuming Trump's poll numbers stay where they currently are, :foxnews: has no choice but to include him in the debate.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

richardfun posted:

Ahahaha, holy poo poo "I have so much money I CAN'T loving FIT IT ON THESE CANDY-rear end PAPERS!"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Alter Ego posted:

Ahahaha, holy poo poo "I have so much money I CAN'T loving FIT IT ON THESE CANDY-rear end PAPERS!"

He could just use scientific notation but, you know, it's Trump.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

When are the debates again?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

greatn posted:

He's polling in the lead or close to it in many polls. He's filed and officially running. What possible reason could they exclude him?

Maybe if he's arrested for fraud or something? I don't know what's going on with his finances, but I'm guessing if they find anything illegal in them the GOP would pounce on the opportunity.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

Assuming Donald "I am the least racist person" Trump's poll numbers stay where they currently are, :foxnews: has no choice but to include him in the debate.

Well, they could still try to lock him out if they really wanted to. It'd just cause a giant shitstorm which would call into question the "legitimacy" of the debate itself to a lot of the base.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-07-15/trump-claims-net-worth-over-10-billion-as-he-files-disclosure

quote:

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump claimed a net worth exceeding $10 billion and a 2014 income of $362 million as he filed his financial disclosure with the government.

“This report was not designed for a man of Mr. Trump’s massive wealth,” his campaign said in a news release. “For instance, they have boxes once a certain number is reached that simply state $50 million or more. Many of these boxes have been checked.”

Trump claimed a net worth of $8.7 billion last month. In Wednesday’s statement, the campaign said that was more than a year old.

no form yet

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I'm not seeing it on the FEC website. :confused:

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Alter Ego posted:

Trump/Trump's Ego 2016

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
I owe you guys a screenshot.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

icantfindaname posted:

When are the debates again?

August 6th and September 16th will be the first two this year.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think this is the release:

quote:

Today, Donald J. Trump filed his Personal Financial Disclosure (PFD) forms with the Federal Election Commission (FEC).

This report was not designed for a man of Mr. Trump's massive wealth. For instance, they have boxes once a certain number is reached that simply state $50 million or more. Many of these boxes have been checked. As an example, if a building owned by Mr. Trump is worth $1.5 billion, the box checked is “$50,000,000 or more.”

Mr. Trump stated, “First people said I would never run, and I did. Then, they said, I would never file my statement of candidacy with the FEC, and I did. Next, they said I would never file my personal financial disclosure forms. I filed them early despite the fact that I am allowed two 45 days extensions. Now I have surged in the polls and am fighting to Make America Great Again. I look forward to the challenge of winning the presidency and doing a fantastic job for our country. I will make the United States rich and strong and respected again, but also a country with a 'big heart' toward the care of our people.”

Mr. Trump's net worth has increased since the more than one year old financial statement produced at his presidential announcement. Real estate values in New York City, San Francisco, Miami and many other places where he owns property have gone up considerably during this period of time. His debt is a very small percentage of value, and at very low interest rates.

As of this date, Mr. Trump's net worth is in excess of TEN BILLION DOLLARS. Mr. Trump's income for the year 2014, as reported in the PFD statement, is $362 million dollars (which does not include dividends, interest, capital gains, rents and royalties). In addition, he was successful in choosing multiple stocks which were sold in January 2014. Even though stock market purchases are not something that Mr. Trump has focused on in the past, and while only a small part of his net worth, 40 of the 45 stocks purchased went up in a relatively short period of time, creating a gain of $27,021,471, not including those stocks still remaining in the portfolio which currently have an unrealized gain of over $22 million (schedule attached).

Mr. Trump showed almost 500 business entities of which 91% are owned 100% by him. Mr. Trump wrote Trump: The Art of the Deal, one of the bestselling business books of all time, and numerous other bestsellers over the years.

NBC/Universal renewed, at the upfronts this year, The Apprentice (for a 15th season), but Mr. Trump decided to turn them down in order to run for President of the United States. NBC was not happy. During the 14 seasons of The Apprentice, Mr. Trump was paid $213,606,575.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

does anyone actually buy this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
TEN BILLION DOLLARS

Again with the "caring for people" stuff. Doesn't he realize he's running for the GOP nomination?

• Locked thread