Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Wow I do not get people who constantly call Taniguchi "uneven" (or that geass is anything but rad.) Maybe GunxSword was a lil weak, but I'm looking over his staff listing right here in ANN now and nope, sorry, The Gooch can do no wrong. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pootybutt posted:

Wow I do not get people who constantly call Taniguchi "uneven" (or that geass is anything but rad.) Maybe GunxSword was a lil weak, but I'm looking over his staff listing right here in ANN now and nope, sorry, The Gooch can do no wrong.

There is no universe in which GxS (and I don't even like GxS) was a weaker product than Code Geass R2.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Earlier this year Tanuguchi directed his first show since Geass, and it was real good. Dude still has it.

I do like that he tried a non-scifi thing, variety is good.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There is no universe in which GxS (and I don't even like GxS) was a weaker product than Code Geass R2.

Gun X Sword will definitely be better than this new gundam.

Until they can upstage mecha launched from and returned to orbital satellite repair bases all robot animes will be worse than Gun X Sword.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pootybutt posted:

Wow I do not get people who constantly call Taniguchi "uneven" (or that geass is anything but rad.) Maybe GunxSword was a lil weak, but I'm looking over his staff listing right here in ANN now and nope, sorry, The Gooch can do no wrong. :colbert:

Code Geass was loving terrible. It's a complete mess on every level. The only reason I'm not harsher on Taniguchi is because a lot of the problems with Geass were apparently caused by executive meddling.

Like, Code Geass is fun to watch in the same way watching terrible cheesy b-movies is fun. It's the anime equivalent of a Reb Brown movie.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Until they can upstage mecha launched from and returned to orbital satellite repair bases all robot animes will be worse than Gun X Sword.

Didn't actually watch much GxS, but picturing giant trampolines.

PS R2 was rad

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I mean there was that China bullshit but it's all in the middle and you can skip it and lose nothing.

The mental image of Lelouch Mclargehuge is going to brighten the rest of my week.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 15, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pootybutt posted:

I mean there was that China bullshit but it's all in the middle and you can skip it and lose nothing.

The China arc was bad, the Geass cult was bad, most of the first episodes were bad, everything involving Jeremiah: Magic Retcon Anti-Geass Cyborg was bad...

Honestly, there are good moments but they're buried deep in the morass of lovely inane stupid bullshit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pootybutt posted:

Didn't actually watch much GxS, but picturing giant trampolines.

PS R2 was rad

GXS honestly starts off a little weak, but it gets really good around episode 4/5ish and stays great from there.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The China arc was bad, the Geass cult was bad, most of the first episodes were bad, everything involving Jeremiah: Magic Retcon Anti-Geass Cyborg was bad...

Honestly, there are good moments but they're buried deep in the morass of lovely inane stupid bullshit.

Sure, but man, Jeremiah flying around Britannia screaming and later becoming an orange farmer is some quality inane stupid bullshit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It's basically like they had an interesting set-up but didn't know how to make a series with it, so they just put as many Anime clichés as possible in a blender and then pressed "Purée".

Edit: Code Geass is the Ninja Terminator of Anime.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 15, 2015

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
GxS also works pretty well if you think of it as taking the piss out of Sunrise's output for the last 20 years. Brave Shows, SEED, I, the villain, am actually trying to save the world but in a stupid and nonsensical way, the pseudo western Sci-Fi setting that was big back in the late 90s...it goes on and on.

TNG fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 15, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's basically like they had an interesting set-up but didn't know how to make a series with it, so they just put as many Anime clichés as possible in a blender and then pressed "Purée".

To be fair, R2 wasn't their fault. .IIRC, the writers got forced to dump their initial plans because the higher-ups wanted a softer entry for newcomers due to it coming a year after the original season. Hence amnesia.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I have a hard time looking at Geass as winking, ironic entertainment. Actually went back and rewatched both seasons a lil over a year ago(around the same time I saw the original MGS trilogy, coincidentally) and was surprised how easily I still got wrapped up in the insane twists and pacing. Even as it gets more and more inane, I still loved watching Lelouche's tenacity and mindgames, and the pomposity, corny dialogue and even the general "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" feel of R2 only heightened that for me. It's extremely marathonable, if nothing else.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, R2 wasn't their fault. .IIRC, the writers got forced to dump their initial plans because the higher-ups wanted a softer entry for newcomers due to it coming a year after the original season. Hence amnesia.

Yeah, but all my complaints also apply to season 1. R2 is just worse, but season 1 is still bad. I mean, the Euphinator thing is one of the most hilariously terrible thing I've ever watched. I couldn't stop laughing. Even now it brings a smile to my face.

It should be noted that I like Code GEass because it is a terrible B-movie.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

MonsieurChoc posted:

This is the case for most anime with interesting setups tbh. I'll give this new show a shot but I'm not really expecting it to go beyond a bunch of trite cliche characters acting out anime plot beats instead of behaving like human beings.

Ippei Gyobu (of "all the good suits in G-Reco" fame) is on the mechanical design team though so that's a plus right there. Pretty good mechanical design all around, so far. Even the Gundam looks nice.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Eh I still think lelouch is a great character and pretty much made the series for me.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Monaghan posted:

Eh I still think lelouch is a great character and pretty much made the series for me.

Yeah, honestly the only reason I watch shows like Code Geass and Death Note isn't because I identify with the megalomaniacal protagonist. It's because I like watching poo poo go wrong for them and watching them panic and adjust their plans. It's a lot more interesting than when everything goes right. It's why the last 8 or 9 episodes of season 1 of Gundam 00 are some of the best in the franchise.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Code Geass can be ridiculous and over the top, but it really has nothing in common with b-movies in like any way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Code Geass can be ridiculous and over the top, but it really has nothing in common with b-movies in like any way.

I was talking mistly in term of plot structure (or lack thereof) and characters.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah that garbage anime thats one of the most successful, entertaining and copied properties in the last decade what a pile of poo poo

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The new Gundam show looks Gundam as gently caress.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The new Gundam looks pretty baller

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah that garbage anime thats one of the most successful, entertaining and copied properties in the last decade what a pile of poo poo

That's a weird argument.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

"This anime was successful and a lot of people copied it ergo it is good" is really not a road you want to go down in the Gundam Thread.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

"This anime was successful and a lot of people copied it ergo it is good" is really not a road you want to go down in the Gundam Thread.

It's true of Gundam tho

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

It's true of Gundam tho

I'm just saying that you're now arguing that Gundam SEED is one of the best of all Gundam shows. Which more power to you but...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was talking mistly in term of plot structure (or lack thereof) and characters.

Not sure what you mean here. B-movies have a variety of plot structures and character types, probably just as much as studio films with actual budgets.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
New Gundam does the things I need a Gundam series to do: have a Gundam, and not further gently caress up the tech tree of the universal century by letting the mecha designers drop a shitload of acid before sketching their intermediate designs between the RX-80 and RX-178.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Speaking of the new Gundam, did it heavily remind anyone else of Argevollen?

...Am I the only one that watched Argevollen?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Speaking of the new Gundam, did it heavily remind anyone else of Argevollen?

...Am I the only one that watched Argevollen?

GyraSolune probably watched the whole thing. having only seen a couple episodes, i see where you're coming from though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The Muffinlord posted:

not further gently caress up the tech tree of the universal century by letting the mecha designers drop a shitload of acid before sketching their intermediate designs between the RX-80 and RX-178.

That's the best part of it though, see:

BlitzBlast posted:

Come back when your v-fin has a bust on it.

Advance of Zeta best Zeta :colbert:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I'm just saying that you're now arguing that Gundam SEED is one of the best of all Gundam shows. Which more power to you but...

Who copied gundam seed?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

Who copied gundam seed?

... Seriously?

Gundam SEED was a significantly influential anime. It was homaged, referenced and copied for a long-rear end time after it came out. Even stuff like Code Geass and GxS, which were were discussing earlier, were critical responses to the trends it started in anime and of itself in particular. Even stuff as recent as Valvrave owes its linage to some degree to SEED.

It was influential because it was a marketing success that companies wanted to copy, not because it was a particularly well-told story, but that doesn't mean it wasn't successful.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 15, 2015

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I am looking forward to Mars Gundam and the adventures of Small Jacked Child, whose hobbies appear to be: working out, and: not wearing shirts

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

I am looking forward to Mars Gundam and the adventures of Small Jacked Child, whose hobbies appear to be: working out, and: not wearing shirts

I want to point out that our next Gundam series is called IRON BLOODED ORPHANS.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mad Mars: Fury Road.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

mr. stefan posted:

He's got things on his spine, so he probably uses those to connect directly to the gundam

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

mr. stefan posted:

The adventures of Small Jacked Child And Biscuit Griffon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
im really looking forward to this new gundam show that will fall apart after 13 loving episodes

• Locked thread