Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Cakefool posted:

Can you put it on a timer and have it turn itself on before you start work?
Also the top may be hot by design, some coffee makers have a warming plate on top to leave the put on.

And yes, if you're not using that feature it's wasting electricity.

I could do that! I've never bought something like that - would this be what I'd be looking for? http://amzn.com/B001BPOBTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

EVG posted:

I could do that! I've never bought something like that - would this be what I'd be looking for? http://amzn.com/B001BPOBTY

That's perfect. Then you can set it to turn on at 7:45 every morning and off again at the end of the day, as well as leaving it off over the entire weekend (if that's your office schedule).

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Beautiful. This thread is the best thing on the forums, I swear. :love:

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

dupersaurus posted:

The exposure is set for the planet, not the significantly dimmer stars

Ah, this makes sense and is pretty obvious! Thank you.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Ah, this makes sense and is pretty obvious! Thank you.

It's also the same reason you can't see stars in the background of photos from the Moon's surface!

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Thank you!

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

In video games, why do higher textures require more processing power?

I may be wrong but I've always understood textures as an image that lays on top of a model/object. Bad textures usually derive from poorly used images or stretched images.

Is the difference between lovely textures and good textures basically image resolutions? For example, if a a game had a rock that used a 800x600 texture, it may look like poo poo because it could stretch out and not provide much detail. So if someone replaces it with a 1920x1280 texture, will it look better because its bigger and could provide more detail?

So if that's the case, a game pulling 50 1902x1280 images instead of 50 800x600 images may require more processing power right?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I may be wrong but I've always understood textures as an image that lays on top of a model/object. Bad textures usually derive from poorly used images or stretched images.

Is the difference between lovely textures and good textures basically image resolutions? For example, if a a game had a rock that used a 800x600 texture, it may look like poo poo because it could stretch out and not provide much detail. So if someone replaces it with a 1920x1280 texture, will it look better because its bigger and could provide more detail?

So if that's the case, a game pulling 50 1902x1280 images instead of 50 800x600 images may require more processing power right?

There is more processing, but it's more of a memory issue. That bigger images has five times as many pixels, for many more megabytes.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
it's not small resolution versus large resolution, it's vectors. With vector illustrations, you can scale infinitely. But it has to be re drawn a lot. Scaling doesn't take much processing power. Re-drawing from a set of vectors does. (But it looks way better.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

You're working with more stuff. Just the same as how it's an issue if there's more polygons, or more lighting effects.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

For a typical electric vehicle (anywhere from the Nissan Leaf to the Tesla Model S), how much does running the air conditioner or heater damage its range on a full charge? When the lease on my current car runs out in 2017 I'm considering trying an EV, but I live in Las Vegas, a city of 110 fahrenheit summers, which basically means the AC is never not running at almost full blast.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

I may be wrong but I've always understood textures as an image that lays on top of a model/object.
That's the point here, what "lays on top" means? It means that you get a 2d image and instead of just presenting it on screen in 2d form, you will stretch, twist, turn and fold it until it will look like it's a natural part of a 3d model. How you twist and turn it might need more processing power since you have to decide exactly what to do to more pixels. I'm talking out of the notions I have programming 3d stuff but I don't really know how just having more resolution on each texture impacts processing requirements, so I could be wrong here.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Even at the basic level, higher res textures == more poo poo to shuffle in video memory, load from disk, decompress, or whatever; while that's fast, it's not infinitely fast.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

If Dr. Video Games himself doesn't understand it, what hope do the rest of us have?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
With the new-ish way Twitter's website does retweets, is there any way to open the retweet without leaving the main feed? I can't middle-click on the thing, and right-clicking on Firefox shows the image menu.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Is there a thread for speakerchat/other audio equipment? I'm in the market for some sort of bluetooth speaker for listening to music and podcasts throughout an apartment and can't find a thread to get recommendations for that kind of thing in either SHSC or NMD.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

A friend had a tumblr account stretching back several years, but accidentally deleted it due to tumblr's shoddy interface and no confirmation of which blog is being deleted from the dashboard. Is there any resource that may have archived much of it and have it available for browsing/retrieving? Wayback Machine has very little, and Google's cache only has the most recent handful of pages.

Heavy Lobster posted:

Is there a thread for speakerchat/other audio equipment? I'm in the market for some sort of bluetooth speaker for listening to music and podcasts throughout an apartment and can't find a thread to get recommendations for that kind of thing in either SHSC or NMD.

This appears to have become something of a general speaker chat in IYG: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444077

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Nighthand posted:

This appears to have become something of a general speaker chat in IYG: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444077

I totally forgot IYG existed, thank you!

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

CzarChasm posted:

Is there any website or app that will check local sales ads and tell me if any local shops have something on sale? Like if I want to know if anyone is having a sale on Pepsi this week, rather than going to each store's website and checking through all of their ads, a service that will do it for me?

I use an app called "Reebee" for this, and I love it. It even has the option to save items to a shopping list, and I've found that stores that do price-matching will accept it as proof of a sale price.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Oxford/serial comma: yay or nay?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

Yes.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

VagueRant posted:

People who don't use the Oxford comma are brutes.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Carbon Thief posted:

I use an app called "Reebee" for this, and I love it. It even has the option to save items to a shopping list, and I've found that stores that do price-matching will accept it as proof of a sale price.

Awesome, that looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks so much.

EDIT: Says it's incompatible with my phone. But I can find a work around. At least the technology is there, so possibly some other version will work.

VagueRant posted:

I'm in the yes category.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Consult your house style guide.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like using R F G and D to move in video games, freeing up the left side of the keyboard for more binds, and giving me more of the right side for my index finger to use, is there a way to auto set this up in video games?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Turtlicious posted:

I like using R F G and D to move in video games, freeing up the left side of the keyboard for more binds, and giving me more of the right side for my index finger to use, is there a way to auto set this up in video games?

You could make a custom keymap for Windows where WASD were shifted over to where RFGD are and vice versa, but you'd have to remember to switch it back when you went to type stuff normally.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Could Autohotkey transpose them maybe?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I'm trying to get internet from my dining room (where my modem and wifi router are) to my living room, but I'm wanting a wired connection and don't want to run a bunch of ethernet cable between the two rooms. Is there some sort of device to achieve this?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

I'm trying to get internet from my dining room (where my modem and wifi router are) to my living room, but I'm wanting a wired connection and don't want to run a bunch of ethernet cable between the two rooms. Is there some sort of device to achieve this?

You could get a wireless router, set it to bridge mode and put it in your living room where you could plug into it, but the signal would still be going through the air at one point.

I'd look into channel raceways if I were you. They can allow you to run a cable between two rooms without looking super terrible (as long as you do a really good job placing them).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Turtlicious posted:

Could Autohotkey transpose them maybe?

I don't know, but this is the official Microsoft tool for constructing keymaps to use: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665.aspx

Basically you'd work off the standard QWERTY one, and realign the letters so that it sends W when you press the R on your keyboard.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nintendo Kid posted:

I don't know, but this is the official Microsoft tool for constructing keymaps to use: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665.aspx

Basically you'd work off the standard QWERTY one, and realign the letters so that it sends W when you press the R on your keyboard.

That sounds pretty interesting, I'll see what I can cook up! Thanks!

Question: What is / was helldump? I've read the SAlopedia, and it doesn't seem to convey the idea properly to me. What makes it super cool / bad? IT seems very polarizing, it was just for calling people out right?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Turtlicious posted:

That sounds pretty interesting, I'll see what I can cook up! Thanks!

Question: What is / was helldump? I've read the SAlopedia, and it doesn't seem to convey the idea properly to me. What makes it super cool / bad? IT seems very polarizing, it was just for calling people out right?

It ranged from legitimate callouts to high-level doxxing; digging up people's personal photos and posting them in a thread without their knowledge, personal info, etc. All with questionable justification depending on the poster targeted, sometimes it was as dumb as "lol this faget didnt make fun of this other poster like everyone else did, ruin his life guys".

It was a relic of a bygone era and the forums are better off without it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Slimy Hog posted:

Powerline ethernet adapter is probably the easiest.

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=1194444

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Where is the "/w(hisper)" command for messaging a single person in a chat room originally from? It's kind of strange terminology to be so widespread.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
How is it strange? It seems perfectly natural English, and conveys the idea it represents perfectly.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
It might come from MUDs, where in an RP context the term makes sense.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

DrBouvenstein posted:

Powerline ethernet adapter is probably the easiest.

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=1194444

I was wary of how good these would be, but I got some for free with my cable TV box, so I tried them out. They work flawlessly. With a speedtest check, I can't tell the difference between plugging straight into the modem and plugging into one of these from the other side of the house. We have this set which I can't find on Amazon, but I'm sure they're all about the same.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Moon Monster posted:

Where is the "/w(hisper)" command for messaging a single person in a chat room originally from? It's kind of strange terminology to be so widespread.

It's either from this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUD2 or the previous version: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUD1

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
There used to be a site where you could plug in your home airport and some generic dates, and it would tell you where and when airfare deals were for those dates. I can't find that now. Anyone remember this, and can find it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to search Ebay for two items to see if one seller has both, in an attempt to combine shipping costs?