Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Len posted:

They're cool with a guy who did time for drugs though?
They're not the same crime at all though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Len posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that that's probably less of a big deal than being a rapist -- I really hope you're just trying to be deliberately obtuse and you're not seriously conflating the two crimes here. Like, I'm pretty sure that the "went to prison for sexual assault" part is kind of more important here than the "went to prison" part.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Gazetteer posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that that's probably less of a big deal than being a rapist. Like, I'm pretty sure that the "went to jail for sexual assault" part is kind of more important here than the "went to jail" part.

No you don't understand with Zach Jesse banned, it's only a matter of time before Wizards bans me for shoplifting a candy bar when I was 8.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hey if he's unrepentant then sure why not. But I dunno. Seems like a stretch to go "Hey you can't be in our hobby" yet be completely okay with all the other creepy people that play magic. I guess as long as you don't get in trouble for sexually harassing (yes aware that's lower than rape) they don't care that dudes get creepy around women all the time.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."

Lightning Lord posted:

No you don't understand with Zach Jesse banned, it's only a matter of time before Wizards bans me for shoplifting a candy bar when I was 8.

First they came for the rapists, and I did not speak out—

... because that was probably a pretty good call and I'd rather not play card games with rapists, thanks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gazetteer posted:

First they came for the rapists, and I did not speak out—

... because that was probably a pretty good call and I'd rather not play card games with rapists, thanks.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't want to play a card game with a rapist either. But the articles I'd read made it sound like he got busted, did his time, and moved on with his life. They didn't say he was "unrepentant" or make it sound like he was gonna rape again at any time. If he's really still a shitheel then sure kick him from the hobby for 100 years.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Len posted:

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't want to play a card game with a rapist either. But the articles I'd read made it sound like he got busted, did his time, and moved on with his life. They didn't say he was "unrepentant" or make it sound like he was gonna rape again at any time. If he's really still a shitheel then sure kick him from the hobby for 100 years.

You read lovely articles. He refers to it as "the incident" and if he's sorry for anything, it's that he got caught. He also did 3 months on a work release program out of an eight year sentence, that itself was the result of a plea bargain. They went that route because it was quite obvious his rich family were going to throw expensive lawyers at the victim for the "they were drunk she was asking for it and we're going to stretch this out for months and make her relive it" gambit. Dude's human poo poo.

But all that doesn't matter because Wizards aren't trying to punish him, they're deciding to not associate with a rapist, which is their choice. They're a private corporation, and professional level play exists to promote the game. DCI's function is to protect that promotion.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lightning Lord posted:

You read lovely articles. He refers to it as "the incident" and if he's sorry for anything, it's that he got caught. He also did 3 months on a work release program out of an eight year sentence, that itself was the result of a plea bargain. They went that route because it was quite obvious his rich family were going to throw expensive lawyers at the victim for the "they were drunk she was asking for it and we're going to stretch this out for months and make her relive it" gambit. Dude's human poo poo.

But all that doesn't matter because Wizards aren't trying to punish him, they're deciding to not associate with a rapist, which is their choice. They're a private corporation, and professional level play exists to promote the game. DCI's function is to protect that promotion.

Alright. Yeah. That makes sense now and I don't blame them. If he at least cared that he'd done something wrong I'd still lean on my "maybe overkill" stance. But I googled around a little more and get why they wouldn't want to deal with him.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Len posted:

But how does that relate to a card game?

hahahaha you loving tool

Dec 26, 2012

Len posted:

Hey if he's unrepentant then sure why not. But I dunno. Seems like a stretch to go "Hey you can't be in our hobby" yet be completely okay with all the other creepy people that play magic. I guess as long as you don't get in trouble for sexually harassing (yes aware that's lower than rape) they don't care that dudes get creepy around women all the time.

It's really not a stretch to ban the rapist from playing, but not the other people, who are not rapists.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

Alright. Yeah. That makes sense now and I don't blame them. If he at least cared that he'd done something wrong I'd still lean on my "maybe overkill" stance. But I googled around a little more and get why they wouldn't want to deal with him.
You defended a rapist and only changed your mind due to social pressures. You don't think rape is that bad. You think rape should not be a barrier to playing a card game. You think not being allowed to play a card game is too high a price to pay for rape. You are a rape supporter. You support rape.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Seriously though somebody ban the literal real life defender of a rapist who supports rape thank you.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Len posted:

Are you seriously comparing doing drugs to raping someone?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Len posted:

Yo I'm a Magic player and also a woman and nobody is okay with people being generally creepy at women at events either but acting like they're equivalent is super disingenuous and lovely.

Nobody is suggesting we deny the dude housing or healthcare but nobody has a Right To Play Wizard Poker and I'm pretty okay with telling a literal violent rapist he isn't welcome in this hobby anymore.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FactsAreUseless posted:

You defended a rapist and only changed your mind due to social pressures. You don't think rape is that bad. You think rape should not be a barrier to playing a card game. You think not being allowed to play a card game is too high a price to pay for rape. You are a rape supporter. You support rape.

Yeah no I don't. I know three people who have been raped. I just wasn't aware the guy was acting like it wasn't a big thing or even important. If he had done his full time and was genuinely sorry maybe banning him for 100 years was a stretch. But if he's acting like rape was no worse than punching someone in the face? Yeah ban him from tournaments because Jesus no.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

alg posted:

can y'all tell me a good Trail of Cthulhu one shot?

There's some good ones in Out of Time and Out of Space. I liked the ones by Jason Morningstar, "The Black Drop" (Out of Time) and "Many Fires." (Out of Space)

I think Stunning Eldritch Tales is good in general. "The Devourers in the Mist" and "Shanghai Bullets" are both pretty cool, though the jungle survival in Devourers is not what a lot of players might expect from Trail of Cthulhu.

There is a free one on the Pelgrane Press website, "The Murderer of Thomas Fell."

A lot of these are complex enough that some plot threads might have to be pruned for a good one-shot experience.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

This bugs me too. Like, the guy was convicted, he is a rapist. There's no real room for "it's only bad if he didn't feel sorry."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Are you seriously comparing doing drugs to raping someone?

Hey don't forget the crazy Walter White conspiracy theory that he also had a witness or whatever murdered in secret and somehow literally no one involved has ever said 'yo that guy had someone killed' despite him being...well 'famous' is strong for magic but like 'decently known and making money'.

Sionak posted:

There's some good ones in Out of Time and Out of Space. I liked the ones by Jason Morningstar, "The Black Drop" (Out of Time) and "Many Fires." (Out of Space)

I think Stunning Eldritch Tales is good in general. "The Devourers in the Mist" and "Shanghai Bullets" are both pretty cool, though the jungle survival in Devourers is not what a lot of players might expect from Trail of Cthulhu.

There is a free one on the Pelgrane Press website, "The Murderer of Thomas Fell."

A lot of these are complex enough that some plot threads might have to be pruned for a good one-shot experience.

Shanghai Bullets is really cool and fun, and yea Devourers is straight up Lovecraft Predator, if you want a unique one shot I'd go with one of those two.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Run Shanghai Bullets... and then Masks of Nyarlathotep :unsmigghh:

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Here's a thought. An actual repentant rapist would understand why he isn't welcome.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Whoa, can Trail of Cthulhu support an action-adventure pulp kinda game? It looked like it was more about investigation and dying horribly rather than busting down the doors and spraying the shoggoth with a Thompson.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Serf posted:

Whoa, can Trail of Cthulhu support an action-adventure pulp kinda game? It looked like it was more about investigation and dying horribly rather than busting down the doors and spraying the shoggoth with a Thompson.

Yes, this is even called the Pulp Style in the game.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Len posted:

He's a rapist, man. Yes, it's poo poo that not much is done to get rid of pervs and creeps at tournaments, but that guy literally raped someone and Wizards of the Coast knows about it. Doesn't matter if he's repentant or not, he cannot be allowed to go to public events like this. I don't think you're an awful person, but you're really missing the point.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm okay with the assumption that maybe we shouldn't treat people who did their time and possibly even learned why what they did was wrong as human garbage who must be tormented for the rest of their natural lives. That kind of approach seems like it's going to lead to more crime and not less.

Can't really say the same for people who used family money to force their victims into silence, though.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
It's times like these that remind me of I.N.R.I.'s proposal for a Rape Forum.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Yes, this is even called the Pulp Style in the game.

Would you say it does it well? I've never used Gumshoe, just curious as to opinions of people who have.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's not like the guy will jump on the table while playing magic, scream "Raep tiem!!!" and brutally cornhole the opposing player after all.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It's not like the guy will jump on the table while playing magic, scream "Raep tiem!!!" and brutally cornhole the opposing player after all.

cons: our dicks will bleed

Dec 26, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Of course not, that would clearly be a disqualifying maneuver.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm okay with the assumption that maybe we shouldn't treat people who did their time and possibly even learned why what they did was wrong as human garbage who must be tormented for the rest of their natural lives. That kind of approach seems like it's going to lead to more crime and not less.

Can't really say the same for people who used family money to force their victims into silence, though.

But not being able to "professionally" play elf poker isn't being "tormented"???

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

But not being able to "professionally" play elf poker isn't being "tormented"???

No, but the attitude behind it is "it's okay to treat this guy as subhuman garbage for the rest of his life."

I don't think that attitude does anything to reduce sex crime.

EDIT: And at this point, we start to move into the territory where we replace this terrible guy with some hypothetical repentant and less-terrible guy for the sake of argument, and you know what, I'm not going to do that today.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rape Man: Ohhh yeah baby I'm going to tap that...
Me: :stonk:
Rape Man: ... Land card, giving me two blue mana.
Me: *sighs with disappointment*

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Not playing MtG is a reward, not a punishment.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

Yeah no I don't. I know three people who have been raped. I just wasn't aware the guy was acting like it wasn't a big thing or even important. If he had done his full time and was genuinely sorry maybe banning him for 100 years was a stretch. But if he's acting like rape was no worse than punching someone in the face? Yeah ban him from tournaments because Jesus no.
Okay pro-rape guy who likes rape. Sorry you only dislike rape when the rape doer has the wrong attitude about the rapes they did, even though in general you like rape.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Rand Brittain posted:

No, but the attitude behind it is "it's okay to treat this guy as subhuman garbage for the rest of his life."

I don't think that attitude does anything to reduce sex crime.

Here's the thing, though: WotC isn't an entity that cares about reducing sex crime at all. This isn't some right that's being denied him. Even if, hypothetically, there might be cause to revisit the treatment of sex criminals in the case of the criminal justice system or employers, this is a card game run by a for-profit company. They aren't running background checks on players. They aren't refusing to sell him Magic cards. He just can't compete in Wizards-sanctioned tournaments because he's raped someone and you don't want an actual rapist to be playing a game (with teenagers) underneath a Wizards of the Coast banner.

Consider, for a moment, being the parent of a 14-year-old who plays at her local FLGS. If you hear that someone convicted of rape has the store-sanctioned opportunity to sit across from your daughter, you are going to flip your poo poo. It doesn't matter if he's repentant or not or if he was punished or not. He's a sex offender and that's the end of the line. It's not a punishment. It's a consequence of his actions.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Zurui posted:

Here's the thing, though: WotC isn't an entity that cares about reducing sex crime at all. This isn't some right that's being denied him. Even if, hypothetically, there might be cause to revisit the treatment of sex criminals in the case of the criminal justice system or employers, this is a card game run by a for-profit company. They aren't running background checks on players. They aren't refusing to sell him Magic cards. He just can't compete in Wizards-sanctioned tournaments because he's raped someone and you don't want an actual rapist to be playing a game (with teenagers) underneath a Wizards of the Coast banner.

Consider, for a moment, being the parent of a 14-year-old who plays at her local FLGS. If you hear that someone convicted of rape has the store-sanctioned opportunity to sit across from your daughter, you are going to flip your poo poo. It doesn't matter if he's repentant or not or if he was punished or not. He's a sex offender and that's the end of the line. It's not a punishment. It's a consequence of his actions.

Your point is great, though Ii disagree on the punishment part. It is a punishment by definition. But that is not a bad thing. He raped someone and harmed their life in a way that can never repaired. He should be punished.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's definitely a completely sensible business decision on their part.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

Yea they have special symbols in the game that denote either 'purist' Lovecraft stuff or 'pulpy' Lovecraft stuff. If you wanna double fist shotguns fighting zombies controlled by an old one you can do it.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
It should be noted that as a pecularity of the Gumshoe system you can be really badass, but not for long as you will run out of skill spends and then get eaten by the zombies that you were murdering in their droves a few minutes ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

goodness posted:

Your point is great, though Ii disagree on the punishment part. It is a punishment by definition. But that is not a bad thing. He raped someone and harmed their life in a way that can never repaired. He should be punished.

Presumably he was punished, by going to prison as mandated by the state

• Locked thread