Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's hard to imagine anything much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

It's hard to imagine anything much worse.

Samurai is one of the absolute best classes in the game and would totally have been a great help on a 3 Berserker team. I think the worst job you could be saddled in that case would be Monk due to redundancy and lack of synergy.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Alabaster White posted:

Samurai is one of the absolute best classes in the game and would totally have been a great help on a 3 Berserker team. I think the worst job you could be saddled in that case would be Monk due to redundancy and lack of synergy.

...Berserkers with... 30% more hp?

...eh

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Final Fantasy IX with V's core mechanics would run the risk of becoming my most played game of all time.

If only FFV's mechanics could be placed in 6 or 9's world. :negative:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Guess who opened up Shinryu's chest without even thinking about it? :downs:

Edit: well, no harm no foul

I'm using an emulator without savestates so this is the best I can do

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 15, 2015

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Alabaster White posted:

Monks help out a trizerker team early on. For starters, it means you never have to roll with four berserkers. Also, Barehanded is good, reliable damage, at least until you pick up your Death Scythes at Crescent. Even afterwards, it still boosts the 'zerkers strength and vitality, which is... not entirely useless?

But yeah, most of those advantages evaporate early on. Although, if you grind out enough levels, barehanded might be more reliable damage than endgame axes again... hmm...

Nihilarian posted:

Guess who opened up Shinryu's chest without even thinking about it? :downs:

Every time, man. :smith: :respek: :smith:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Is the HP sap from poison rods permanent or will I have to reapply it to Omega at some point?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nihilarian posted:

Is the HP sap from poison rods permanent or will I have to reapply it to Omega at some point?

It lasts 30 ATB ticks.

Note that ATB does not flow during Quick (which is how quickleaking works).

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Edward_Tohr posted:

Monks help out a trizerker team early on. For starters, it means you never have to roll with four berserkers. Also, Barehanded is good, reliable damage, at least until you pick up your Death Scythes at Crescent. Even afterwards, it still boosts the 'zerkers strength and vitality, which is... not entirely useless?

But yeah, most of those advantages evaporate early on. Although, if you grind out enough levels, barehanded might be more reliable damage than endgame axes again... hmm...

I guess Geomancer would be the real worst then. Does any of its skills transfer the magic bonus? I think that might end up being more useful just from boosts to Earth Hammers and the Rune Axe.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Alabaster White posted:

I guess Geomancer would be the real worst then. Does any of its skills transfer the magic bonus? I think that might end up being more useful just from boosts to Earth Hammers and the Rune Axe.

Nope. Geo is pretty flat-rear end terrible. Then again, avoiding floor damage is helpful for Meatfort, !Gaia can be useful against things that aren't worth trying to run from, and they can toss Elixirs during the Sandworm and Soul Cannon fights.

No, for my money, the worst babysitter would have to be an Earth job, just to negate that last point.

Chemist and Samurai are out of the running for having good job skills and good passives to give to the others, so that leaves Dancer and Dragoon.

Dancer can pass Equip Ribbons, which Berserkers like.

Dragoon can pass Equip Spears, which nobody really likes. :v:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Once I ran out of turtle shells I just kept tossing high potions and float on my chemist. Exdeath killed himself thanks to the reflect ring.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 16, 2015

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Edward_Tohr posted:

If I had three Berserkers and a Dragoon, I think I'd just solo the game with the Dragoon. That, or kill myself.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

If I had three Berserkers and a Dragoon, I think I'd just solo the game with the Dragoon. That, or kill myself.

fwiw dragoon was apparently one of the jobs sullla had the easiest time with. it's solid as heck on its own it's just got zero synergy with most classes

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
According to this guide I can go to Moore before heading to the ancient pyramid in world 3. Isn't Moore directly south of the ancient library? I don't see how I can get down there.

edit: Oh nm it's west of the pyramid.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 16, 2015

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

According to this guide I can go to Moore before heading to the ancient pyramid in world 3. Isn't Moore directly south of the ancient library? I don't see how I can get down there.

By walking through the desert, past the pyramid.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Edward_Tohr posted:

By walking through the desert, past the pyramid.

Thanks for some reason I thought it was south of the library. :sigh:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Omega is way easier with Bard/Dancer than it is with Berserker/Beastmaster.

:toot:

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Equip Axes/Spears gives you at least some weapon choices as weapons aren't super common for either, and Dragoon can dodge some nasty attacks if you get in the groove and Jump on time. If you hate yourself you can steal 4 dragon spears and go hog wild on that one part of NED/Shinryu.

It's not a bad class, just not a god tier killer like summoner/blue mage/mystic knight/chemist. It's a decent tank class that doesn't rely on guard shenanigans.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Edward_Tohr posted:

Nope. Geo is pretty flat-rear end terrible. Then again, avoiding floor damage is helpful for Meatfort, !Gaia can be useful against things that aren't worth trying to run from, and they can toss Elixirs during the Sandworm and Soul Cannon fights.

No, for my money, the worst babysitter would have to be an Earth job, just to negate that last point.

Chemist and Samurai are out of the running for having good job skills and good passives to give to the others, so that leaves Dancer and Dragoon.

Dancer can pass Equip Ribbons, which Berserkers like.

Berserkers like spears. That is because axes suck rear end. And dragoon can bypass big damage skills and they can use aegis shield and chicken knife.

Edit: loving beaten.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Heh you guys weren't kidding when you said chemist was bugged. I accidentally confused Bartz with a maiden kiss/antidote mix and now his dead body is attacking the enemy.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
I'm taking a look at how the damage for Flare is calculated and the guide gives me this:

code:
Damage = (Spell Attack + (0..(Spell Attack/32)) - (Magic Defense/32)) * M
What exactly is "Spell Attack"?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Jueg01 posted:

I'm taking a look at how the damage for Flare is calculated and the guide gives me this:

code:
Damage = (Spell Attack + (0..(Spell Attack/32)) - (Magic Defense/32)) * M
What exactly is "Spell Attack"?

The attack power of the spell.

In Flare's case, it's 254. The rest of the spells are listed in section 10.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Well Melusine was interesting because I messed up and didn't stock up on turtle shells in world 2. I ended up having to stack reflect rings to protect myself from her magic but that had the downside of healing her. I eventually realized she was weak to silence and gave my thief/chemist mage mashers to keep that up on her. The rest was just waiting for my Berserker to use Swords Dance enough times to put her down.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I had Red Mage for my Earth crystal but after last run I said gently caress that and Job Fair'd a White Mage so I could have Team Wind Crystal. :getin:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I kinda want to do a gimmick run around Goblin Punch. I was thinking something like Knight, Blue Mage, Ninja and Chemist?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Why couldn't the Monk and White Mage be switched? :negative:

E: It's the little things in life.

Bregor fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 16, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man neoexdeath is kicking my rear end, I am about 100 hp short of being able to survive algamast or whatever.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Man neoexdeath is kicking my rear end, I am about 100 hp short of being able to survive algamast or whatever.

What's your team? You might be able to squeak by without needing to grind out that extra couple of levels.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
So after some moving I finally picked up my Earth job. Final team is Monk, Berserker, Summoner, and Chemist. Still on World 1, looks like it's time to grind Turtle Shells (even though I already have about a dozen) and stock up on rods to snap plus whatever other tips I'll see when I re-read the thread.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Edward_Tohr posted:

What's your team? You might be able to squeak by without needing to grind out that extra couple of levels.

Beast/sum/geo/geo.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
What's a good way of bring Crystelles down to catch range if you have a party that can't equip Excalipoor?

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Twelve by Pies posted:

What's a good way of bring Crystelles down to catch range if you have a party that can't equip Excalipoor?

The Blue Magic spell ???? if the caster's HP is exactly 2 less than their max HP. Is there a monster that casts it with Release?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Mustard Iceman posted:

The Blue Magic spell ???? if the caster's HP is exactly 2 less than their max HP. Is there a monster that casts it with Release?

edit: Missed that last sentence.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Your weakest party member with the Dancing Dagger, from the back row, against a Crystelle that is also in the back row and has protect on it. (Such as one in the Belphegor, Mind Flayer, Crystelle x2 encounter).

And hope it doesn't proc !Dance.

I... think that's the best way without Excalipoor?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Beast/sum/geo/geo.

See above. Crystells cast Mighty Guard when !Released, so if you pop one off just before Almagest hits, you can tank it with Shell. And from there you can try to take out the front bit before it Dispels everybody.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

edit: Missed that last sentence.

Looks like... Reflect Knights, and Luneta (or whatever the GBA translation is) summoned by Zephyr Zone.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Twelve by Pies posted:

Be a Beast Master at level 42 or lower, equip the Dancing Dagger, and attack a Crystelle with Protect (use Control to get this on) that's in the back row from the back row yourself. Hope the Dagger does not proc, and that it rolls 1 or 2 damage (it can roll 1-4 damage).

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Edward_Tohr posted:

Looks like... Reflect Knights, and Luneta (or whatever the GBA translation is) summoned by Zephyr Zone.
Too late for Reflect Knights... The other ones are called Tunneler in GBA and they're easy to find in the Pyramid.

Vampire only does the difference between HP and max HP, right? Releasing a Vampire-casting monster could work, too. but finagling the HP to be exactly 2 points off might be a bigger pain in the rear end than just grinding the extra levels.

Having to read the Catch list again because I just got Beastmaster as my Wind job for my next run. Thought about using the Fiesta mod, but gently caress fighting Liquid Flame with four Beastmasters.

Also CharlestheHammer has a Summoner... so they can use Shell with the Wonder Wand to guarantee one survivor. With a Summoner and two Geos firing off Air Knife-boosted Syldra, and the Beastmaster releasing a Breath Wing user then hitting with the Beast Killer, I don't see NED getting off more than one Almagest if the survivor can revive the others.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Home from work! Now what to decide what run to do. I'll probably go with another Random run. I'd do Chaos, but I've gotten all four Earth jobs by now and I'd like to minimize my chances of getting one again. Plus that's 3 chances to get the Time Mage I've never gotten!

EDIT: Blue Mage for Wind Job? AGAIN? That's the 6th time out of 13 total runs! Mind you, that's over two years (3 times in 7 runs last year and another 3 out of 6 so far this year), and I love the class anyway, but drat.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 16, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My first 750 run is done. Slow, but interesting.

I was originally going to have Lenna be the Blue Mage in the rift but I couldn't say no to that beret.

I had a distinct lack of Magic damage in the early game, but rod snapping worked as a substitute until I got Aeroga and an Air Knife. I was surprised by their lack of strength, but the ability to Equip shields came in handy. This class is the reason I didn't have to grind to like, level 50 in order to beat Neo Exdeath; Mighty Guard made Almagest do about half my HP. Normally my guys just survive by the skin of their teeth. They have a fun toolbox and I'd like to explore it more; if I ever get it again and I have a class setup that can support it, I might try playing without the spells I used the most this run. Losing Mighty Guard would suck, though.

I really tried to make something of this guy. I tried a lot of things and most of them didn't work. They had the most Strength on the team but still not enough to make Goblin Punch Excalipoor really sting. I grinded up to get Dualcast in Galuf's basement (thank you, level 5 death). The ability to cast Raise, Protect or Sleep twice in a round was fairly useful; the class is at it's most interesting when it's slinging two buffs or debuffs around. But it doesn't get any of the higher level spells, so it quickly dropped off. They don't even get Shell.

The class was underwhelming but the guy in the class did well enough thanks to the other classes. I remembered this thread talking about Rune Weapons and, sure enough, when I threw the Rune Blade on him, along with !Blue, he started dealing Good Enough damage while also being a backup blue mage. Oh, and the ability to equip staves came in handy a few times, including saving my rear end when I stumbled into Shinryu like an idiot.

The second time I got Bard and it's still really good. Apollo's Harp dealt ridiculous -and reliable- damage to Shinryu's, and Romeo's Ballad proved more forgiving for Omega than !Calm. I favored Romeo's Ballad and Swift Song for most of the game because I wanted the action advantage, but the other songs can only be called bad in comparison.

I never thought I'd be saying this but I'm glad I got Dancer. Mighty Guard negated the biggest drawback this class has and Chicken Knife Dance at the speed of bardsong tore Neo Exdeath apart.

I think all I have left for classes I haven't Fiesta'd is White Mage, Summoner, Geomancer, Ranger and Chemist. I might do a fake fiesta with 4 of those classes if I haven't got them all by the end of of the event this year.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
First I get yet another Blue Mage, now I get Berserker for the 2nd run in a row for Water. Gilgaboooooooooot! :argh:

Seriously debating job fairing this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
For you goons doing like 4-5 runs, how long on average do they take you? I had a lot of fun in my 2 runs but I played them on iOS and I can't handle sitting through all of those cutscenes again without some kind of turbo function, all in all my runs ran somewhere around 14 hours each

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 16, 2015

• Locked thread